Jan 2015
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Grimsby Fish Dock Tugs

2 Comments by George Lill Published on 3rd March 2021 09:34 AM
    Several weeks ago an article made reference to the Grimsby tug "Alfred Bannister"and I would like to add a little information. She is owned by one of my friends and is laid in Hull during restoration. He bought it for the scrap value some years ago and has done extensive refurbishments to her, she was in full working order but was showing signs of age. the main engine Ruston VCBM 6 cylinder still runs like a sawing machine, a new generator has been installed and structural repairs to hull and wheelhouse are in progress.

Alfred Bannister was one of three built for Grimsby by John Harkers at Knottingley; Thomas Bascombe, Herbert Crampin the others, also the Brenda Fisher made up the four tugs operating in the fish docks. The three Harker built tugs all named after Trawler Owners, the Brenda Fisher is named after the record channel swimmer, a Grimsby lass who still lives here. The tugs were operated by the Grimsby Exchange as part of the operation of the fish dock services.

My late father a deep water skipper, on the odd occasion he had to lay at anchor prior to entering the fish dock, I would be collected after school and taken out on the Brenda Fisher to go onboard to greet my dad and sail into the dock with him. Happy days

Next time I make a visit I will take a shot or two and post them on the site.

2. Total Comments 2

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Grimsby Fish Dock Tugs

Ah very interesting George I remember the tugs in the Fish Docks at Grimsby when I was a young lad going down to the docks with one off my uncles to settle up after a trip (always a treat involved).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Grimsby Fish Dock Tugs

I worked on the Alfred Bannister when I left school in 1965 in Grimsby fish dock and I think the skipper was called George Wheeler.