1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

The SS Caronia

7 Comments by Brian Probetts (Site Admin) Published on 14th September 2015 12:11 PM

Commissioned in December 1948, Cunard's Caronia gained a reputation as the most luxurious ocean liner in the world. The 34,000-ton ship – painted entirely in green and so soon dubbed the "Green Goddess" – reigned supreme during the 1950s. But no short 6 or 7 night cruises to Bermuda or Nassau for her, it was nothing but long, luxurious cruises – one, two and three month jaunts. And it all had a pattern, a sort of grand familiarity to it, such as 100 days around the world in January; two months to the Med in spring; 45 nights to Scandinavia in high summer; and one or two more Med cruises in the fall. The Caronia was said to have the very best crew in the Cunard fleet back then. Staff all but queued up to serve aboard her. She carried just about millionaires only, of course, and so the tips were legendary. One restaurant waiter was presented with a sports car, English of course, by a grateful heiress. The Caronia was also like a big floating club – built for 900 passengers, her cruise capacity was reduced to 600 but normally finished-up at a clubby 300. And all being looked after by 600 handpicked Cunard staff. Yes, the caviar flowed. No request was too great. And passengers came year after year – including one lady who "lived" aboard for fourteen years. But by the mid '60s, the Caronia had fallen out of step, new liners came into service and Cunard was in deepening financial trouble. The grand ship was sold, in 1968, to Greek buyers, who planned to re-use the legendary ship on 7-night Caribbean cruises as the Caribia. The maiden season was all but canceled, however – there was a fire, mechanical problems and, worst of all, a shortage of money. The Caribia was soon laid-up in New York harbor – faded, rusting and shifting from berth to berth to anchorage. For a time, in 1970, the ship was moored in Brooklyn, at the old Bush Terminal. A strange site along that remote waterfront, her luxury days had long past.

Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

2. Total Comments 7

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The SS Caronia

i SAW THE Caronia wrecked across the entrance to Apra Harbour in September 1974. it had happed a few weeks before.
    She was named Carib and was being towed to Taiwan for scrap. The tug let her go while it went into Apra for repairs and the Carib decided to follow and with a Big swell running she went up on top of the breakwater on the port side of the entrance and snapped into three pieces, The Bow was stood high and dry on top of the breakwater as tho` she had been cut by a knife just abaft the focsle. the rest of the ship was sank across the entrance, and the US Navy Divers were cutting her up to keep the entrance clear.
    We were running in there quite regularly with fuel oil for the Fleet up to the end of the Viet Nam War.
    an interesting but sad sight. I guess she didn't want to go to the breakers in Taiwan.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brian,
    I sailed on the RMS Caronia for her last World Cruise in 1966, she has left a lasting impression on myself and two ex members
    from Liverpool I'm still in touch with, Mike Parr and Micheal Glynn.
    These two gentlemen, stayed on the Green Goddess until the near end of her Cunard days.
    When we get together, it makes for a very enjoyable trip down memory lane, people must wonder just what such laughter.
    We always wonder what happened to the other wonderful mates.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was it the Caronia also known as the Green Godess .? JS sorry just seen in #1 is already mentioned
    JS
    My little claim to fame that I also worked on a vessel running around the West Indies carrying a few bags of mail for various islands . It was the second mates job to look after and always had to remind him to put the Y flag up before entering port. It was a sackable offence to over carry mail. Maybe some of the missing mail finished up on a lead sinker who knows? Although saying that as a joke should have been impossible to do as that many signatures required on coming on board and leaving wasn’t as easy as the postman just throwing over the hedge . JS ...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th December 2022 at 02:42 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I joined QE2, a great many of my peers had served on the Caronia the way they spoke about her was fascinating as if they were still on her and there was nothing else like her. I saw her a couple times a fine looking ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw the Coronia a few times as well, Southampton mainly, she was a very nice looking Ship.
    Here is a Link i have on my Bookmarks about her, there is a lot to go through , but i found it very interesting. The Link i post shows her 1960 World Cruise and other Years as well, but this one included Cape Town. Hope you will Enjoy browsing through this Link!
    Cheers

RMS Caronia Timeline: Great World Cruise 1960 - South African Tour Index Page (caronia2.info)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As the 'Green Godess' she was well known by all who saw her or sailed on her.
    At the time she was an example of life for many tourists, but that last photo of he makes her look very green, sea sickness style.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post