Aug 2019
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

A Girl in Every Port

55 Comments by Peter Copley Published on 7th January 2021 12:16 PM
    Although I’m fairly new to this site, I can’t help noticing the many references to women of the world’s seaports. They may be innocent church-going local girls, however, I get the impression from some comments, like leaping out of windows, wearing nothing but their underpants, escaping from irate husbands or angry pimps, I guess the lads are referring to; women of the night, gangway Gerties or foreshore floozies.

I’m not saying I have sampled the delights of the boulevards, bars, and brothels of the world’s seaports, but, sometimes if I can’t sleep at night, I try counting the women I’ve ‘known’ in my salad day when my testosterone was fizzing and popping.

Er, well, er, there’s Angela in Archangelsk, Brunhilda in Bremerhaven, Big Carla in Cornerbrook, Donna from Detroit, Erica in El-Salvador, Freda from Fremantle, Gale from Green Bay... Long before I get to Yoko from Yokohama, I’ve fallen asleep.

Big Carla from Cornerbrook Newfoundland took a fancy to me. She said I was ‘cute’ and was buying me drinks all night in the Royal Canadian Legion Club. Well, ‘Big Carla’ was a big girl, her forearms as big as my thighs. Her daytime job was a ‘lumberjill’ and she had a reputation for bump-starting tractors with flat batteries. After drinking with her all evening, I said, “Well, it’s been nice meeting you, Carla. I’m going back to my ship now.” She said, “Oh no you’re not, sonny-Jim. You are coming home with me. You either sleep with me or fight me.” Well, I tell you, lads, she was too big to fight.

On a more serious note, I did have some lovely girlfriends that I can tell my wife and children about.

There was Maureen in Bunbury WA, I fell for her hook line and sinker. Tall, blonde and beautiful, a typical Aussie girl. The first time I saw her she was playing netball. I couldn’t take my eyes off her. After the game, I chattered her up and asked her for a date. We were both too young to drink in the pubs but I did take her to the pictures and a coffee bar, playing records on the jukebox. I remember the warm balmy evenings spent with her, just walking and talking by the beach. No sex, not even a quick fumble, just two teenagers enjoying the warm ambiance of an Australian summer. We corresponded as pen-friends for about 6 years and her father offered to sponsor me to emigrate to Australia. After she became a policewoman in Perth I lost contact with her. In the early 1960s, Bunbury was a one-horse town with wooden sidewalks but I loved the town and the people there. I felt like I belonged there. I look at where Maureen used to live, Sterling Street, on Google maps and see her house has gone, replaced with commercial buildings. I’ve been told that Bunbury South of Fremantle is now a suburb of Perth.

Another romance I had while I was at sea, was with a Japanese girl; Ayami Ichimaru. I met her one Sunday morning in Kobe Harbour, 1960. My oppo and I were returning to the ship, waiting for a boat to take us to the anchorage. Ayami was with a group of giggling schoolgirls taking photos of the ships and of us two. Ayami was 15 years old. I was 17. We exchanged addresses and we became penfriends for about 6 years. Then in 1967, I returned to Japan on a 12-month time charter to Nippon Yusen Tokyo, trading between Pacific ports and Japan. I contacted Ayami and we met up and became more than just friends. By this time Ayami, who worked for JAL at Osaka Airport, was a petit 21-year-old beauty. She used her position with the airline to get flights to meet up with me at various Japanese ports. I visited her home in Takarazuka and met her family. It’s a long story, a dichotomy really, between a gentle oriental girl and an equally pretty English girl. So, I had to choose, Ayami or my future wife, I chose the latter, therefore I had to end my romance with Ayami. I took her for a meal in Osaka to tell her its sayonara. I could have just gone home and left it at that, but I couldn’t do that. I have to say she was heartbroken and I left her in floods of tears. I put her in a taxi and that was the last I saw of her. I was quite upset myself leaving this exquisite oriental girl that I had been leading on, knowing in my own mind that I would not marry her. It is true what they say, that the beds of the orient are the softest. Anyway, I married Kathleen and we had four kids and we have been married for 53 years.

Around 2010 I was staying in a hotel working away from home. I got a phone call from Kathleen saying I’d got a letter from Germany. From a guy called Gerd Ackermann. I asked her to read it over the phone. Gerd had been a penfriend of Ayami for many years, although he had never met her. Ayami’s friend, a girl who was with her in Kobe when we first met, now lives near Gerd in Germany, she had married a German seaman. In his letter, Gerd told me that Ayami had contracted Cystic Fibrosis and was not well at all. She told him that she once loved an English sailor and before she died, she would like to find him again, just to see how he was and about his family. Gerd went to the trouble of tracing me and my address. It took him quite a while. He asked if I would like to contact Ayami by email. I agreed and for about three years we exchanged emails every other week. Ayami reminded me of the times we spent together, about things, places and music I had forgotten about, very touching. She died of CF around 2013. I’ve still got the emails and I may write a play based on them one day. Ayami never did get married. Gerd and I are still penfriends.

I’m not sure if this article will interest anyone, however, it may start a thread for anyone wanting to tell us of their long-lost lovers, nights of passion in the orient or, steamy sessions in the tropical forests of Brazil... Now that is a place for beautiful women.

PC R701198
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th January 2021 at 08:00 PM.

2. Total Comments 55

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A Girl in Every Port

The Lap of Honour.

I went to the `Sea School when I was a lad,
    where conditions were hard
    and the food was bad,
    but I walked through those gates
    as tall as a man
    off to my first ship bound for Japan

And now I`ve retired and saved up my cash
    once more round the world I am going to dash
    to Mombasa and Java and out to Cathay
    to see all my old girl friends
    once more on the way

Mimi`s still waiting for me, I`ve been told
    I`d like to see her before she gets old
    then on to see Dedeh in Tanjong Patak
    then fly off on a Jumbo to Hong Kong`s Kai Tak

I`ll go back to Tahiti down in the South Seas
    to see my Wahine in the warm sunny breeze
    Then across to see Maggie in New Zealand`s Hawkes Bay
    and have a beer in Ma Gleesons* back on the way

I`ll do the Lap of Honour round the Australian coast
    to see all the girls who loved me the most,
    from Thursday Island round to Sydney and Perth
    they were the loveliest girls on earth

I`ll go to see Sheila and then Marylou
    and call upon Sally in Woolloomooloo
    then go up to Townsville to see Mary O`Keefe
    where we walked hand in hand by the Great Barrier Reef

When I think of those nights by a blue lagoon
    loving my girl under a tropical moon
    and those happy times that we both shared..........
    my Mary`s still waiting for me, so I've heard.

On then to Honolulu and then Frisco Bay
    and up to Vancouver and down to L.A.
    I`ll jump on a Greyhound across to Hoboken
    to see my Jenny whose heart I had broken

In Manhattan`s Times Square and 42nd Street
    there must be some girls that I used to meet
    it would be sad if I looked around
    and none of my girls were there to be found.

So off I would go to old Mexico
    to see my Juanita down in Tampico.
    then across to see Molly in Montego Bay
    and go up the Blue Mountains where we used to play

On then to Rio, Montevideo and B.A.
    To May Sullivan`s Bar, where I used to stay.
    There was Rosita, Paquita and also Maria,
    On then to Santos and round to Bahia
    Then when I return home again
    to England's cold and dismal rain
    all my memories will always stay
    they are something that no one can take away

I`ll be thinking now that I`ll get a shock
    on my memory trip to turn back the clock.
    things won`t be the same, time has moved on
    the young girls I once loved have grown old and are gone.

and now that I am coming to the end of my time
    I must put my memories down into rhyme.
    `cos when you are young life is all magic
    but as you get older life becomes tragic.

but there is still some life in the old dog yet
    and there`s more adventures for me to get
    so I`ll be heading off into the sun
    to have more excitement and plenty of fun.

Its not for me to tend the garden and flowers
    polishing the brasses , walking the dog for hours.
    but to go back round the world in a blaze of glory
    then I`ll come back home to write my story.

And then one day when I am old and grey
    and my life`s been used up and it`s come time to pay
    as I lie on my bed on my face will be a smile
    I`ll just be a thinking ` it`s all been worth while.
    BRIAN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And Pigs may Fly John! LOL

If i had to tell my tales (of course no one would believe them) i would use up too much data on this site! Fact !

As for some Kids still looking for their Fathers, well i say naught on that LOL

Oh Dear!!!

Eeeeek!!!!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Thanks Steve Neale thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Of course Victoria there were always 'ladies' willing to offer their services.
    Many thought that if they did so you would com e back next trip and get them a passage to UK.
    There are no doubt many young kids still looking for their English father so they can claim a British passport.
    Of course men such as i would never consider doing such things, we were too ,pure and all being good church goes would never tell any lies, now would we.
    What are you smoking John?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 Hes on Wild Woodbines Dennis. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9 I reckon that’s why seamen know where all the dives of Ill repute are worldwide. They have enquiring minds and have to see if what they hear is true. They are all self educated which is the best way to be. If someone doesn’t tell them the full story they have to go and find out for themselves , funnily enough though not too long after they all asked to see a doctor so maybe all the the rushing around they got heat stroke. Dennis will be saying I have been smoking John in Ozs wild woodbines. But I used to smoke Capstan full strength. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th January 2021 at 10:18 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #9 I reckon that’s why seamen know where all the dives of Ill repute are worldwide. They have enquiring minds and have to see if what they hear is true. They are all self educated which is the best way to be. If someone doesn’t tell them the full story they have to go and find out for themselves , funnily enough though not too long after they all asked to see a doctor so maybe all the the rushing around they got heat stroke. Dennis will be saying I have been smoking John in Ozs wild woodbines. But I used to smoke Capstan full strength. Cheers JS.
    hi john sabourn
    it was not the big head that got the rush of blood and got you dizzy ? but the little head whom always got you in trouble, well at least it was for me.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    How could they possibly be dives, if they were so popular?

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The lighting was seldom very good and it was quite a regular thing to do a nose dive in. Coming out was also at times head first. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My mate picked up this really gorgeous looking shelia in the Navigators Den.
    Next day I asked how he got on.

Gruesome he replied.
    How was that she looked alright.
    Yes but as she took off each piece of clothing she grew some more.
    By the time she was naked she was twice the Size.

So how did you go?
    got here but it was like climbing Everest.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Peter Copley, Steve Neale liked this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast