Aug 2019
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Christmas on the SS Sapho 1 - 1966

25 Comments by Peter Copley Published on 24th December 2020 08:02 PM
    I’m sure there have been many worst Christmas’s at sea than my Christmas at sea in 1966, but this was my worst. Sailing between the Great Lakes and Greece, my ship, a former Empire boat, was the Liberian flagged SS Sapho 1. Crewed by some of the dregs of the world’s sea ports; Greeks, Spaniards, Colombians, Sudanese, Mexicans, a West Indian (Sullivan) and myself, (Brenda Silver, remember her? Silver Marine Agency Liverpool, Brenda, my agent told me the ship was new, crewed by American officers – no wonder we called her Shanghai Lily!) The voyage between Piraeus and the Great Lake ports and back to Greece, was one catastrophe after another, a fire in the engine room in mid-Atlantic, a Colombian, drunk on Ceuta cognac, going on the rampage with a revolver shooting at everything and everyone in sight, including me and the skipper. The Colombians and Mexicans were all sacked and deported for having firearms at sea. We ran out of fresh drinking water with the port hydrants freezing up. The lake water was undrinkable, We were the last ship to leave the Lakes before the locks to the St Laurence were shut for pre-winter maintenance. Anyway, the cook got stabbed to death in Buffalo NY. So we sailed from the Lakes without a cook. The captain’s wife took over cooking duties and believe me she could not cook. For Christmas lunch the Greek officers decided to have an outdoor BBQ type meal, they cut an old drum in half from top to bottom filled it with burning wood and rigged a spit for the lamb, or maybe it was goat, whatever. The spit was out on the deck, middle of the Atlantic in winter, the sea was rough and it was freezing cold. The meat congealed on the cold plate, the only other accompaniment with the meal was boiled macaroni, that too was cold. Captain Poly-Chronakis-Chronis invited the sailors up to the officer’s saloon for drinks and tab-nabs. The evening festivities was more like cold comfort farm. The Greeks hated the Spaniards, The Spaniards hated the Greeks and they all hated the black sailors. You could cut the atmosphere with a knife. At around 10pm I left the mess for the radio room to listen to the BBC World Service. Carols from Kings was on, they were singing Once in Royal David’s City. I’ve never felt so homesick in my life. When I returned to the dining room, all hell had broken loose. The skipper had the mess boy Ricardo by the throat up against the bulkhead with one hand trying to stop being stabbed with his other hand. Sullivan was slumped in the corner blubbing his eyes out, he had been called the N-word and so it kicked off - the Greeks fighting the Spaniards, the skipper’s wife screaming her head off, spilt beer and beer cans sloshing around the deck. Complete mayhem, everyone shouting and bawling. Ricardo was my friend and I managed to calm him down and get the blade off him. The skipper had apparently insulted him. However, as is often the case with Latins, the bedlam died down as quickly as it flared up and we managed to reach Scaramanga shipyard in one piece where I paid off. I thought the Sapho 1 was to be scrapped there but I think she was sold onto another company. Anyway, I hope everyone will have a wonderful Christmas and a much better 2021.

2. Total Comments 25

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Christmas on the SS Sapho 1 - 1966

Hi George, come to think of it, I did join all my ships offered by Brenda abroad. when you are broke after a spell ashore, you can't just hop on a bus and go home if you don't like the ship whether it be Piraeus Greece or Porto Foxi in Sardinia or Honolulu.

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi john sabourn
    its still in castle street liverpool.
    tom
    Thomas , Not 100% sure that company is still active, if so it is not the same company that Betty & Brenda was involved in Betty & Brenda stopped years ago, more than likely I would think these two are long gone from the planet as well. Sue took the business over but there was some dodgy dealings went on and she was declared bankrupt. I had many a job out of Silvers from 1982 and I was never out of work or had a bad job from them. Certainly looked after me. To me they were like Hinge & Bracket. When I was dealing with them they were working out of the Albany in Old Hall St Liverpool
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 31st December 2020 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nightmare of a tale, had a similar but no where as dramatic
    in 1951 on a converted 'Jeep', S.S.Dundrum Bay, substitute
    Greeks and Spaniards for Catholic and Protestant Ulstermen,
    and you get the idea, a real rust bucket,I was asked whether
    I would be doing the next trip, where to I asked Sydney was
    the destination,no I said we wont make it, no no not Australia
    Nova Scotia which wasn't very comforting as we were sheltering
    ln Portland Bill away from the storm which claimed the Flying
    Enterprise. Pald off in Barry home just after King George VI died
    for a fortnight of morbid music on the wireless (no T.V.)
    Did keep my A/std rating and rose in time to the dizzy heights
    of 1/c waiter on various liners.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Peter,
    Had to come back on your story - sent this to a retired Captain of the Royal Marines in a care home over Christmas on the basis of you think you have problems - he loved this great story! All the best,
    Bob ex R/O 50's plus.

7. Thanks Peter Copley thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Bob. My mate Bob Rawlinson MM was a Royal Marine Commando. He won the MM at the raid on Limbang Borneo in 1962. The marines, the Green Jackets and the Scots were the best jungle fighters in the world at the time, pity the Americans didn't learn from them while fighting in Viet Nam. Bob died a couple of years back and got a great send-off with a RM bugler, etc. Maybe your captain knew Bob, he was well known in the marines. keep safe in 2021.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Christmas on the SS Sapho 1 - 1966

Peter' I love reading about and researching what became of our old ships.
    With SAPHO 1 you seem to have been lucky to get off her alive,not least because she was once declared a constructive total loss,repaired and set loose on the oceans again!.Here's her history.

ss SAPHO 1 IMO 5398440

4/1945 -Cargo Ship ,Hansa -B design,2,834 grt,double compound engine 12 knots built as MILLERNTOR for Hamburg Amerika Linie by Naksov Shipyard,Denmark.
    1945.Seized at Flensburg by British Govmt Renamed EMPIRE LUNE.
    1946 To USA Govmt.Still EMPIRE LUNE.
    1947 to civilian use by Constable Hook SY Inc.NY.Renamed ALABAMA SWORD
    1951.Renamed TEXAS SWORD
    1956 Sold to Cia de Ultramar SA (,Liberian).Renamed ZEPHYR Ran aground on 10 November 1962 at Gladden Spit, British Honduras (16°32′N 87°59′W). Caught fire on 17 November but fire later extinguished. Refloated on 27 November and declared a total constructive loss. Sold and repaired.
    1964 Sold to Transcontinental Sg.Co.(Liberian)Renamed CARINA
    1966 Sold to Astronato Cia Naviera SA (Liberian).Renamed SAPHO 1.
    1967.Sold to Margivor Cia Naviera SA (Liberian).Renamed CARINTHIAN GLORY.
    6/1969 Broken Up at Karachi by Hardware Manufacturing Co.---so if you have any cheap tin trays in your kitchen she might still be with you !

m.v.EUGENIE S.EMBIRICOS -IMO 5109461

Cargo Ship compl.4/1957 as EUGENIE S.E. , 9,061 grt,13,320 dwt, Diesel 15 knots by Howaldtswerke,Hamburg for Los Santos Cia Naviera SA (Liberian)
    1959 Renamed EUGENIE S.EMBIRICOS by same owners and re-registered in Andros,Greece.
    1982 Resold on to Greeks renamed KATERINA and re-registered in Piraeus.
    1987.Renamed ANKASIM.Re-registered in Panama.
    3/1988. Broken Up by Lung Ching Steel Enterprise Co,Kaohsiung,Taiwan----So once again if you use razor blades or still have a cheap oriental spin dryer-your ship could still be part of your life !......

11. Thanks Peter Copley, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, john middleton liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham thank you for that information. The Sapho 1 was one of the most interesting ships I sailed on, my novel Diomed's Ghosts is based entirely on this ship, the mixed crew giving me plenty to write about, especially the Colombians and Mexicans who were all armed a dangerous as well as incompetent dope-smoking seamen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ll never moan about Christmas again

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re Dundrum Bay. I had similar experience on S.S . Angusloch (Jeep ) on coal run Sydney N,S. in 1951. North and South Irishmen.

16. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon, john middleton thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, john middleton, Peter Copley liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Thomas , Not 100% sure that company is still active, if so it is not the same company that Betty & Brenda was involved in Betty & Brenda stopped years ago, more than likely I would think these two are long gone from the planet as well. Sue took the business over but there was some dodgy dealings went on and she was declared bankrupt. I had many a job out of Silvers from 1982 and I was never out of work or had a bad job from them. Certainly looked after me. To me they were like Hinge & Bracket. When I was dealing with them they were working out of the Albany in Old Hall St Liverpool
    hi lewis
    i have just seen your missive, so sorry for the delayed response, as my son has had me grafting in his house and this is the first time i have been on the site,since i submitted the imformation.
    i have no doubt that the betty & brenda characters are not still around and i didnt think so when i pointed out that the company silver marine where in castle street liverpool.
    i used to see the company logo on their office every time i went to see my accountant, as their office was in the same building,
    wishing you well and return to good health in the future.
    tom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast