Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Post card from the queen elizabeth 222

7 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 14th October 2017 06:29 AM

Thu Oct 12th Palma de Majorca(Spain): Ashore: We are in charming Palma today: a seaside lined with white hotels andfluttering palms, the smells of wine bars and leather shoe shops and the huge,imposing cathedral. Warm & welcoming: After three pleasantsea days onboard the Queen Elizabeth, it is all like slipping-on thatfavorite shoe, maybe a well-worn Gucci loafer. It is comfort, ease, thisgreat sense of familiarity. Cunard in fact creates familiarity –they are the great link on all the seas to the great history & glamour ofocean liner travel. (Yes, P&O is still around as well, but theywere never associated with glamour and the likes of movie stars posed on theBoat Deck.) Comparatively, Cunard has this extraordinary history – agreat fleet of ships including some of the most famous ever built (somepassengers still all but genuflect at the mere mention of the iconic QE2and just about everyone has seen or heard of the original Queen Mary &Queen Elizabeth), a magical sense of shipboard luxury and long lists ofcelebrated passengers – from millionaires to movie stars to maharajas. Onboard the Queen Elizabeth (and the two other Cunard liners), one feelsa part – or at least connected – to this great history. When berthedalongside, say, a Celebrity or Royal Caribbean ship, there's just not the samesense of that maritime history, a sort of ocean-going one-upmanship. Generally and for me, the Queen Elizabeth is like a good – no, very good– London hotel gone to sea. You feel happy to be aboard – all cozy,comfy and well looked after. At last look, the QE gets its very highestratings for decor and for enrichment lectures. Yes, the ship itselfis all chandeliers, exquisite carpets, soft chairs & sofas and heaps – orshould I say tons – of Cunard memorabilia. Just about everywhere you look,there's Cunard and related memorabilia: the gold bust of Queen Elizabeth IIthat once graced the main lounge on the QE2; a Christmas card fromHer Majesty displayed in a glass case; a solid silver model of the QE2 madeby the famed London jeweler Asprey; and the original bell andbuilders plate from the first Queen Elizabeth. And as for enrichment,Claire Bloom was here in June and talking of her long career going back to Limelightwith Charlie Chaplin. There are so many others – and just weeks ago,celebrating the 50th anniversary of the launching of the QE2,"maritime stars" such Commodore Ron Warwick, Captain Ian McNaught andthe divine Maureen Ryan took to the podium in the gloriously grand Royal CourtTheatre. Fri Oct 13 at sea in theMediterranean: Traveltrends:Neil is a PhD sociologist from Bath who specializes intrends among contemporary population. In our lunchtime chat, hediscusses cruising and brings up several interesting points comparing, say, ahalf-century of travel – between the late Sixties and today. (1) Comparedto, say, 50 years ago, we take trips to the other side of the earth withouthesitation and even if it means 20-25 hour plane rides; (2)Americans especially used to go to Europe for a month or two, but they now gofor a week and sometimes even, say, a long weekend in London or Paris; (3) In travel, we once relied on the mail, with letters and post cards, but now we are in constant, easy, super quick contact; (4) There'sgreater people-to-people contact these days through the likes of Airbnblodgings; and (5) We no longer think that items are cheap just because ofthe dollar or the pound note, but instead we deal in local currencies and atfar fairer prices. Yes, each an interesting concept. Counting every penny: And coincidentallyjust read that it has been sixty years since Arthur Frommer published his firstedition of Europe on 5 Dollars a Day, the instant new bible for travel to Europe but on a shoestring. A huge success -- and today at 88, Frommeris still involved in what became his publishing empire.Stuffed cod on a bed of spinach: Casualdinner with Jonathan Leavor, the ship's Hotel Operations Manager and who has beenwith Cunard for nearly 40 years. We went down memory lane, recalling somany Cunard staff & passengers. Jonathan noted, "QE2'sworld cruises were legendary & given to much lore and a long list ofanecdotes. I remember one lady brought along several trunks for the95-night voyage. But one of the trunks was filled with one of herfavorite foods: Her preferred brand of Boston Baked Beans!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Total Comments 7

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Post card from the queen elizabeth 222

We sailed to Sydney on the world cruise on Queen Elizabeth in 2012
    Not as good as The new Queen Mary 2, what I did not like was, they had replaced the Filipino Catering Staff in the Restaurants with Eastern Europeans. who were VERY Ignorant, unhygienic and arrogant and very unhelpful. That completely spoiled the ambiance.
    I would not sail on her again.
    It was after that voyage that we switched to Holland America Line as they were a lot better.
    Sailed on QE2 many times to Sydney and even tho` she was an old ship she really was iconic with a very strong following, everyone you knew were there, year after year. We still keep in touch with the many friends we had on there.
    Thanks for the memory Vernon.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 14th October 2017 at 08:06 AM.

Lewis McColl Guest

Which one would you rather be sailing on in a North Atlantic storm, think I know which one I would pick.RMSQueenElizabeth.jpgQueen-Elizabeth-2---22-Sept.jpg111222-Queen-Elizabeth-066.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I miss working aboard her, the company I worked for Belinda King Creative Productions had the contract for the shows in the Theatre. I was lucky enough to be there during the first install and therefore first voyage. And subsequent cast changes.

6. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hello Vanessa, you seem to be a new member ? I could be wrong.

A quick hello from myself and hope to hear more of / from you.

Regards,

Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, it would appear you have found a way to put on site some of the items I have forwarded to you,
    Thanks for that as I am sure many members will enjoy them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    I do try at times but there are those that as in have told you cannot be done ,as it would take ages to upload those that have so many Pics in them,a pity really as most of what you send me are really interesting things!
    So on i plod and do what i can when i can. Now with Golf tied in my life as well i have even less time on here now! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, I think any bit you put on no matter how small will always be appreciated by the members.
    Now if Gol during the day is interfering with your duties on site may I suggest night time Golf.
    we have one course down here with a 9 hole course lit by bloody big lights.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post