Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Remembering shaw savill line & itsships

17 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 22nd January 2018 09:14 AM

After posting some photos of liners such as the
    Southern Cross,our good friend Dave Townson wrote: "It was in the SouthernCross that I made my first Panama Canal transit, in December 1962. When we emerged into a Pacific I'd never seen before, I peered over the portbow and saw a hammerhead shark swimming alongside. A new half of theworld lay ahead, and the very air seemed to smell different."

He continued, "Late on Christmas Eve we weresteaming serenely towards Tahiti, and as an assistant purser I joineda gathering of passengers on the open deck forward of the bridge to sing(or at least hear) carols. Of course there was nopersonal instant global communication in those days, and unless any of thepassengers were using portable tape recorders probably no record exists of thatextraordinary event, but there we all were, in our floating microcosm out ofsight from the world, under a bowl of unfamiliar stars that included theship's namesake, about as far from land and in as unlikely a Christmas settingas possible - save for the eponymous island - singing carols no one elsewould hear. The voices just drifted off into the tropical night, andit was quite wonderful."

He concluded, "In complete contrast, Ialso 'worked' aboard her fleetmate Ceramic in the London docks in 1963,simply standing by to pay harbour wages to the crew but living quite well inher First Class accommodation."
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Total Comments 17

Comments

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Remembering shaw savill line & itsships

Christmas at sea in my early days I remember as being fun times, single lad not a care in the world. Getting a HT call home to wish me dear old mum happy Christmas. I remember we were all in the bar , the oldman had told the R/O give me a shout when it is our turn. I assume Portishead Radio had Rotation system so you got an allocated number in the queue. Caps says call the bar one ship before we are due and those that want to call home will come up to the Radio Shack. Sparkie phones the bar, ok Cap we are up next after this one. A few of use trooped up and waited and waited, Caps says which ship is ahead of us? The Canberra, mum got her phone call the next day.
    The latter years Christmas at sea was just a waste of time, yeah the food was there but no atmosphere. All the junior ranks wanted to do was bolt the food down and race up to the lounge and get the Christmas video on, never mind waiting on everyone else. I have seen just the Oldman & C/eng & me sitting in the saloon on our own 20 minutes after the meal started , the days of the officers serving the crew there dinner are also well gone. The last Christmas I had at sea 2013 it was not even a sit down meal, just a buffet. The oldman was Spanish, C/Off was a Brit and the C/Eng was a Brit the rest were UAE lads, as-holes to a man. When we went down to eat the food had been dumped on the deck, nice people. I was retiring at the end of my contract and glad to be gone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had quite a few Xmas,s at sea, same formula on all them, skipper and chief steward coming round to all hands, with a bottle of whisky or rum, chose which, he gives you a tot, merry xmas , and thats it. Sure all the grub was there, and on a couple of ships allowed 6 cans of beer instead of 4, on you slop chest. kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

two things spring to mind on talking about food .....on my ist trip as galley boy them gallon sized cans of fruit were opened and the fruit sent down aft .......the cook said would you like the juice ...jeez i was really pigging it running down my chin ....and as much baconand egg as i wanted....but the real treat was on them hurdy gurdy organ grinder type ice cream makers in the tropics ......turning the handle for all i was worth ,,then opening to see how it was doing ...gobbing a handfull ...and then grinding again till i was nearly throwing up .......jeez the best job aboard...piggy malone wouldnt have a look in .....but then sweets and sugar butter etc were still rationed at home ....thought i was in paradise and getting paid for it as well....i think it turned me into a conservative i wanted the best and the most .....and i got it.......how can that ring out ....a conservative galley boy .....lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

watch out for incoming now, you tory you , lol kt

7. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    watch out for incoming now, you tory you , lol kt
    #jeez its not against the law to support our government is it keith ....after all the majority voted it in .....and our gov is fighting for brexit .....to get out that jigsaw of europe surely is the right thing to do ......oops now i await incoming lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    two things spring to mind on talking about food ......lol cappy
    Cappy sounds a bit like my first trip in the galley. Downed DOT Lime juice like it was out of style.
    Paid the price later in the day.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd January 2018 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref 6, not at all Cappy, don't want the other lot in, anyway not with the man from the funny farm in charge, kt

11. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[ATTACH]255SHAW Savill's Buccaneers. - Copy.doc15[/ATTACH]

13. Thanks Bill Morrison, Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I had quite a few Xmas,s at sea, same formula on all them, . Sure all the grub was there, and on a couple of ships allowed 6 cans of beer instead of 4, on you slop chest. kt
    Recall the one on the Stirling (Dec 1958) with you aboard Keith! Great time we had on the day!
    The Capt was a good Chap too!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast