Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

MV Dunnottar Castle Launch

14 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 21st September 2017 09:47 PM

THE M.V. DUNNOTTAR CASTLE ENTERING THE WATER. One of the largest vessels which will be delivered this year, the Union-Castle Line's twin-screw motorship Dunnottar Castle was launched at Messrs. Harland & Wolff s Yard at Belfast last Saturday. The vessel is intended for the company's services between the United Kingdom and South and East Africa. Built under Lloyd's and Board of Trade survey, her principal dimensions are Length overall about 560 ft. Length B.P Breadth moulded Depth moulded 530 ft. 71ft. 6in. 35ft. Gross tonnage about 15,050 The vessel is designed on modern lines and has a well-raked rounded stem and a cruiser stern, two masts and a single low type stream lined funnel, giving the ship a distinctive and well-balanced appearance. There are three complete steel decks, als i a lower de( k forward and aft of the machinery space, long promenade deck and forecastle deck, upper promenade deck and boat deck. Thc hull is divided into 10 watertight compartments by nine watertight bulkherds all extending to the upper deck, and there is a continuous double bottom arranged for fresh water, water ballast, and oil fuel, the fore peak being arranged for fresh water or ballast, and the after peak for wafer ballast. Deep fresh water tanks are also arranged at sides of shaft tunnel aft. and deep oil fuel tanks are fitted across the vessel forward of the auxiliary machinery space. There are two cargo holds forward and threi abaft the machinery space with corropponding cargo ’tween decks to underside of upper deck. Nos. 1. 2. 3, and 4 lower holds are arranged for ordinary cargo and No. hold and the refraining cargo 'tween decks are prranged for the carriage of citrus fruits, etc., certain of the compartments being specially specially arranged for chilled or frozen produce. The refrigerating machinery is by Messrs. J. & E. Hall, the temperature of the cargo spades being regulated by cooled air circulation, while the spaces for chilled frozen produce are also fitted with a system of brine grids. An electrically driven warping winch is fitted forward and two electric warping capstans aft. THE PASSENGER ACCOMMODATION The vessel is fitted with streamlined semi-balanced rudder operated by electric-hydraulic steering gear. Passenger accommodation of a high standard is arranged for first and tourist class passengers, the first class providing for about passengers in one, two and three berth rooms fitted with cot beds, a number of special rooms being arranged with private bathrooms adjacent. The tourist class accommodation provides for about 250 passengers in two and four berth rooms. All cabins are fitted with hot and cold water supply and ventilation on the Punkah Louvre system, which can be regulated by the individual passengers. The public rooms for first class include a dining saloon having large dome and musician's gallery «hile there are two children s saloons adjacent to the saloon. The tourist class public rooms include dining saloon with seating accommodation for about 250 persons, a lounge and a smoking room Extensive open and covered promenade space with large sun and games deck are provided for both classes, the forward end of the upper promenade deck being enclosed by a screen with large sliding windows. An open-air swimming pool is arranged at the after end of this deck. The propelling machinery consists of two Hai land-B .t W. 9-cyhnder, two-cycle double-act.ng Diesel engines. The engines include all the latest improvements, including tuned exhaust pipe arrangement. A special feature is the installation of electric clock control, which keeps correct ship's time during the whole voyage. With this system of control the necessity of having to put the clocks forward or back dailv at midnight is obviated. Another feature that the hands of the clock move forward continuously instead of in minute and half minute impulses, and all noise is eliminated. Throughout the galleys and pantries a large number of electrically operated cooking apparatus and service motors are distributed, consisting of dough mixers, coffee and knife machines, ice cream machines, cold cupboards, roasters, hot-plates, etc. In addition there is an electric range for the crew, and an electrically heated baker's oven.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st September 2017 at 09:58 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Total Comments 14

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Dunnottar Castle Launch

How shipping has changed over the years.
    But at the time a new concept in passenger ships with all the then mod cons you could wish for.
    In many ways far better than the ships of today which are not considered as such by many.
    Long gone now the then skills of the ship builder, no computers then to design, no machinery to build all done by men who took great pride in building them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I actually joined the Dunnottar Castle in Victoria Docks on the 8th Feb 1956 and did one trip on her.
    I was AB primarily looking after the first class deck I think that it must have been a later model of her
    Ken Craze 1951-1957 then 1957-1959 N.Z

5. Thanks Ken Trehearne, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Almost ditto Ken C #3. I joined as QM on 22 Oct 1953 for one trip - through the med and then Mombasa and south. She was launched in 1936. Lovely looking ship.

Ken T
    R412277
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was a third assistant Cook on the Dunnottat, 17 4-57 to 14-6-57.

Rodney

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, Ken Trehearne thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was chased around my cabin on the DUNEDIN STAR by a Steam Queen from the DUNNOTER CASTLE.
    IN THE NEXT STORY.........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This was my first Ship and first trip to Sea,joined her in Cape Town 1958 and it was also her last trip as the Dunnottar Castle going back to London KG5 Tilbury Dock.. Then sold but still sailed on for many Years after that changing names and Companies,a great Ship with good Crew !

A very memorable trip for me of course with new Horizons in my life ,and Wow! how things changed for me .

Learned many new things as a young Lad that opened my Eyes to the World.
    How exciting those times were!

Thanks to Mr. Anderson and a certain quartermaster aboard the DURBAN CASTLE the evocative picture above was taken of the DUNNOTTAR CASTLE Built (1936) as seen from the DURBAN CASTLE between Ascension Island and St. Helena in the South Atlantic on July 19th 1958. DUNNOTTAR CASTLE was homeward bound on her last voyage as a Union-Castle liner

I was actually on her when this was taken, a few days out of Cape Town.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 12th January 2021 at 05:57 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

regarding your post re the DUNOTTAR CASTLE - there were in fact 2 - the difference being the second was spelt DUNNOTTAR ( double n ) launched in jan 1936 she would have 22 years service under union castle and then still further service as the converted - cruise ship - victoria - for incres lines ( 1959) and later still to clipper lines after the former filed for bankruptcy in 1964 - sold to victoria shipping line ( chandris )and entered cruising 1977 sold again in 1993 to pricesa victoria co louis cruise line managers and renamed princesa victoria - she would go to the breakers as such in 2004 - a career of 68 years
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I joined the Dunnottar Castle in June 1957 did two trips on her until Nov 57 as galley boy memorable trips we had three lads Guitar Drums and bass great night on the for deck we had a strange incident one afternoon when we were on our break which meant the galley was empty the steam presses where the food was kept warm and the waiters were served from blew up and there was lumps of metal everywhere if it had happened when the galley was working there would have been carnage

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WE almost had carnage on the Windsor one time.

There was in the main galley a Kosher kitchen section, just a very small area set aside for the preparation of Kosher foods, quite a few of the Jewish faith travelled on the ship.
    If there was a Rabbi travelling he would at some time come and bless the kitchen

The chef at the time, name of Meadows, was something of an anti Christ when it came to them.
    One of his favorite tricks was to get one of the chefs to cut up a side of pork in there.
    On this day, unbeknown to him that there was on eon board, a Rabbi came to bless the kitchen.

It was reported that the fury and fire of this encounter would make that of any dictator seem very tame.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast