WORKING BY THE SURREY

It was early November 1967,I was at home in Yalding with my parents and sisters on a nice day, when the postman arrived with a letter for me. it was instructions to report to Liverpool, for my first ship to sea.
It was only a few weeks before that I received instructions and a rail warrant to report to the national sea training school in Gravesend. After my initial training and a couple of days off, I was on my way to my big adventure.
I made my way to the railway station in Yalding, across London and onto the train to Liverpool. I then made my way to the dock area.
On arriving at the dock gates, I asked the policeman where I should go, and he directed me to the berth where the ship was, the day was Monday the 13th of November.
The M.V.Surrey of the federal steam navigation company.
with my suitcase, I made it up the gangway to the main deck,where the watchman showed me to the chief stewards cabin, after a few introductions , I was taken to my cabin, I was the new stewards boy.
After getting changed, I went back to the chief steward’s cabin and was shown my area of work...

Where i was instructed on my job functions,I was to be working in the saloon pantry. This is where the food was served for the officers and the engineers.
My basic function was washing up and keeping the pantry clean and tidy.
I was to be earning £23.00.00 per month.
In the after noon, i went to my cabin to finish the unpacking
My cabin was in the mid section, on the main deck. The cabin consisted of two bunks, and two wardrobes, with a chest of drawers, together with a chair.
I was on this ship for just over one week,where I learnt a lot about my job, and going ashore in Liverpool.
When the time came for signing on, on Monday the 20th of November, all the previous crew came back from leave. And there was not a place for me.
So i had to find another ship. Fortunately the S.S.Dorset was nearby and they needed a steward’s boy. I transferred to this ship straight away.

NOTE

The federal steam navigation company, was a subsidiary of the
New Zealand shipping company.

Brief ship history

Built as the M.V.Surrey, official number184624
17/10/1951, launched by Alexander Stephen& sons Glasgow, yard no 630
06/06/1952, delivered to federal steam Navigation Company, cost £850000
04/06/1953, arrived at Melbourne with engine failure to the starboard engine, returned to UK for repairs.
03/09/1969, sold to British India steam,renamed Juwara.
05/02/1970, suffered an engine explosion,and returned to the UK again for repairs, on one engine.
01/10/1971, transferred to p & o cargo division.
05/05/1972, arrived at Kaohsiung.
09/05/1972, sold to Tung Cheng SteelCorporation.
29/09/1972, breaking up commenced.

Life of ship 20 years