Just read an old post about jumping ship.I was on the HERMISTON Chapman@Willan we had just finished the west coast of the states about to leave SAN FRANCISCO when one of our pals decided he wanted to go home as,we were sailing for AUSTRALIA well we thought how could we get him off, One idea was to shut the fridge door on his leg and say it was trapped but seeing as the door was about a foot thick we decided against it as we could have snapped his leg so i said to him why dont you go over the side and the tug would pick you up,so off we went up on deck checked to see were the tugs were and no one looking and over the side he went It was comical after that if it wasnt serious my mate and i started shouting man overboard at the top of our voices then search lights went on,ships horn blowing,but we had kept an eye on him loads of activity,till he was picked up.We latter found out he had been taken to hospital to be checked over and he got passage home on a STRATH ship,on being interviewed by the captain we said that he had been leaning over the rail and lost his balance, We discharged our cargo at the 4 main ports in AUSTRALIA BRISBANE/SYDNEY/MELBOURNE/ADELAIDE then we got told we were going home but 1st pick a cargo of sugar at CAIRNS for GRENNOCK/SCOTLAND brill on arriving we had to anchor off until a berth was available gutted, ,as everyone was looking forward to going home untill out of mist an OILTANKER collided with our bow,we were all waiting for the explosion which thankfully didnt happen,we were sharp taken in to dock but at least we got home sooner.