Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

In From the Cold

7 Comments by David mullins Published on 19th June 2022 09:29 AM
    In From the Cold.

It was a cold winters day when we arrived in Philadelphia late in1961with a full load of general cargo. The schedule was from Philly, down the eastern seaboard, light ship to Newport News for more general cargo back to the UK.
    The discharge was handled pretty quickly and the stevedores moved on to another ship.
    Not long after their departure, the sparks decided he needed a smoke and went onto the bridge deck for a breather. Leaning over the gunwale towards the shoreside he noticed a line of rats making their way aboard up the forward mooring lines. Unfortunately the Bosun had omitted to put out the mooring line rat guards and these huge vermin were taking full advantage of the invitation.
    The sparks told the mate, the mate told the Bosun and the Bosun turned out the deckies who quickly attached the rat guards. Real stable door scenario.
    Initially, there wasn’t much concern regarding the additional passengers until checking out each of the empty holds, when it was discovered the extent of the invasion, they were absolutely everywhere. Not only were they in the cargo space but in the accommodation too.
    In an effort to bring some control, the mate offered an hours overtime for each rat killed. All apprentices, ABs, EDHs and Peggy’s too, armed themselves with lengths of wood some with knives attached and some with marlin spikes. The lamp trimmer had a fid pushed down the front of his dungarees. The hunt was on.
    After leaving port and heading south for Newport News, I was on the bridge chatting with the mate just before the end of his 4 to 8. “Wonder how much this is going to cost me in overtime” he muttered as we stared along the foredeck to the bow. “I’ve never seen the deck crew so keen in making quick bucks”.
    Out of the corner of my eye I saw some movement to my left and turning to see what it was, a shiver ran down my spine as I spotted the outline of the biggest rat I’d ever seen. It was sat on a radiator underneath the port wing bridge window.
    The mate threw a pair of brass dividers at it and it vanished. After a quick scout around the wheelhouse we returned to our positions at the forward wheelhouse window.
    “Thing about these rats” I said, “they’re looking for somewhere warm, that’s why it was on the radiator” jokingly and in a wind up I said “ if they can’t find warmth they will actually run up your trouser legs, and if you try to pull them out, they’ll sink their teeth into you calf.” The mate was a cool cookie and had a calm level demeanour and replied in his usual casual manner “ that’s a load of rubbish Mullins, where’ve you got that from, I’m going in the chart room to check our position”
    Dead on 8 the third mate came into the wheelhouse to start his watch.
    I mentioned to him about the rat on the radiator at which he quickly (against normal procedure) switched on the wheelhouse lights to see if the rat was still around. The mate tried to scurry around the opposite side of the binnacle but it was too late, I saw his trousers tucked into his long socks almost up to his knees.
    Tears of uncontrollable laughter ran down my face as I watched him trying to pull his pants out of his socks.
    “ hope you’re not laughing at me Dave” he half whispered through gritted teeth with a sheepish look on his face.
    During the roundup of dead rats and applying the count to each crew member, quite a few carcasses made multiple appearances until the scam was spotted and after counting each carcass it was immediately thrown over the wall.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 20th June 2022 at 06:37 AM.

2. Total Comments 7

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: In From the Cold

During my apprenticeship one of my jobs was to set the rat catching cages.When one was caught I disposed of them by lowering the cage into a sink full of water until it drowned. Otherwise it was difficult to get the rat over the side from the cage.

4. Thanks David mullins thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon, Steve Neale liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think I may have mentioned in another thread about the 6' diameter disks we used to put on the Banana boat lines when we were in quayaquil ecuador, they were there to stop the human rats!

6. Thanks David mullins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Domleo View Post
    During my apprenticeship one of my jobs was to set the rat catching cages.When one was caught I disposed of them by lowering the cage into a sink full of water until it drowned. Otherwise it was difficult to get the rat over the side from the cage.
    save water, just lower the cage over the side.

8. Likes Doc Vernon, cappy, James Curry liked this post
    Patagual....just inland from Coronel, Chile.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Tony, be sure you do not mention this on some other sites, like YouTube for instance...... There are an amazing number of people who will villify you for making such a suggestion.
    They seem to be under some illusion that rats are nice cuddly creatures who mean no harm to their blissful, mollycoddled lives!
    It would appear that some folk have never seen real rats.

10. Thanks David mullins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bet they've lived with a few though

12. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only slowed them up a wee bit malcolm

14. Likes Doc Vernon, Ron Gouldbourne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i did a job in liverpool in the african oil mill upper parliament street i had seen many in bibys on the dock road but the mill closed down one night and working late moving machines i went into the cellar on opening the steel door i was confronted by defiantly well over 100.000 rats eating the palm nuts where they went when the mill closed down i dont know? this is true..jp

16. Likes Doc Vernon, cappy liked this post