Article: SUGAR IMPORTER TO TRINIDAD (By Mike Hall)

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

SUGAR IMPORTER TO TRINIDAD (By Mike Hall)

2 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 14th August 2016 07:48 PM
    SUGAR IMPORTER TO TRINIDAD

It was Monday the 28th March 1960 and I was at home and my leave was about to end, so I started to pack my things and prepare myself for another trip to sea. I left home one morning bright and early and caught the bus to town and then the train to Woolwich. From there I made my way to the Royal Group Docks.
    I reported to the federation offices in the docks and was given a ship I had been on before, the Sugar Importer of Silvertown Services. I was to be the pantry boy again. As a pantry boy my job function was to keep the pantry area clean and tidy, I was to do all the washing up and some food preparation. I also had the job of cleaning the stairs and corridors from the bridge down to our cabin corridor.
    So out of the dock gates and a steady walk to the Tate & Lyle factory at Silvertown. On checking with security at the gate I made my way to the ship, which looked like an oversize coaster, berthed in the river. When I got to my cabin I found that it was for two people and I was to share with the galley boy. Our cabin consisted of two bunks, two lockers a chest of drawers, a settee and a chair.
    With all the current crew on board we all signed on Thursday 31st March. My wages for this voyage was £16-12-6 a month, however we did not sail until Wednesday 6th April. This was a common practise with this shipping company. We left the berth beside the Tate & Lyle factory and with the river pilot on board we made our way down the river towards Gravesend, where we changed pilots and then made our way down the lower reaches of the river and out into the channel, where we were to drop off the pilot, Here we started to make our way across the Atlantic ocean. Once we were out in the open sea, the Walkers Patent log was set in motion. This was an age old device which streams a 65 fathom line astern. At the end is a bronze rotator with curved fins, its design cases the device to rotate with the ships movement forward. This piece of equipment records the progress and speed of the ship.
    On our way we had a fire/lifeboat drill, we were alerted to this by the constant ringing of the alarm bells. We would gather on the boat deck and get the fire hoses out and test them, then we would release the clamps on the lifeboats, press a button and out they would go, press another button and back they came. locking the clamps, lifeboat drill over. It was then back to our normal duties.
    We were headed towards Port of Spain in Trinidad.
    On a Sunday morning the captain would inspect the ship to see if it was kept clean and if required a church service was given, in the main saloon. There were never ever many takers.
    We arrived Monday 18th April and had to anchor in the bay. We were here to load raw sugar, which was brought to the ship in barges, and unloaded using grabs which were attached the ships gear. The barges were brought to the ship by a tug, and the tug was the only way we could get to and from the ship.

Several trips were made ashore to sample the local brew “rum”, on one occasion when ashore, I and two mates got very drunk on rum, we had bought a two litre bottle of white rum each, which
    I planned to take home .We had to get a taxi back to the tug boarding point. On the way back the taxi driver stopped at his house, which was on the way, so he could have his evening meal. So we were forced to stay in or around his cab, and with nothing better to do, we started to drink the rum. By the time he had finished we were quite drunk, he then continued the journey. When we got to the tug, I managed to get on board ok, but when I got to the ship, that’s when I hit upon a problem, I saw “two” gang planks and yes I picked the wrong one and ended up in the water, as soon as I hit the water, I seemed to be quite sober. I managed to make my way to my cabin, after being fished out of the water by one of the crew. After that I did not go ashore again, I spent most of my time on the after part of the ship, using someone else’s fishing line, fishing for catfish.
    When all the sugar was loaded we started our voyage back to England. The day for leaving was Saturday 23rd April. We had quite a pleasant voyage back home; the sea in most places was quite calm. We arrived at the Tate & Lyle factory on Friday 6th May and signed off the next day Saturday 7th May. My wages for this voyage were £26-5-9,I did not have any money advanced this time during this voyage. As it was just a short voyage I did not have much leave. I still therefore made my way home.

CONSTRUCTION NOTES

BUILDER.------------------Hall Russell, Aberdeen
    YARD NO.------------------847
    ENGINES BY.-------------
    YEAR BUILT.-------------1955
    PROPOLSION.------------British Polar
    LAUNCHED---------------05/05/1955
    TYPE.-----------------------Bulk Sugar Carrier
    TONNAGE.----------------4024
    LENGTH.------------------330ft
    BREADTH.----------------50ft
    REGISTERED AT.------London
    SPEED.
    OFFICIAL NUMBER.--186301

HISTORY
    1955 Built for Silvertown Services, Named SUGAR IMPORTER
    1962, Sold to Uskport Shipping, Renamed USKPORT
    1967, Sold to Compagne Maritime, Renamed, LAROCHE
    1973, Sold to Nigrita CIA Navigation, Renamed, MACEDONIA
    1980 Sold to Sunteam Maritime Co.
    1980, Sold to T Ward, Inverkeithing
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Total Comments 2

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SUGAR IMPORTER TO TRINIDAD (By Mike Hall)

I was very interested in the above story as I had cause to join the Sugar Importer when the current Chief Steward fell foul of the Big Boss , He gave me £ 50 and a car and driver to get enough gear so the ship could sail without further delay. We bunkered in Flushing and then on in ballast to San Pedro De Macoris to load . The master was Capt Alister Colin Farragh- Hare. Spelt something like that anyway and he was a good seaman who could get into silly situations. I did several trips as they were very quick, about 27 days round trips and then one up to Gydenia for Beet Sugar. Dry dock in Alborg Denmark after damage to a cargo hold. Then I had a disagreement with the Big Boss in his British Warm and buttonhole. Enjoyable time,

4. Thanks Mike Hall, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SUGAR IMPORTER TO TRINIDAD (By Mike Hall)

I spent 7 months on the second Sugar Importer and in 1972 Point Lisa’s was the Trinidad loading port

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Neale liked this post