Article: TARANAKI TALES ON THE CONTINENT (By Mike Hall)

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

TARANAKI TALES ON THE CONTINENT (By Mike Hall)

1 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 14th August 2016 07:44 PM
    TARANAKI TALES ON THE CONTINENT

It was mid May 1960 and at home again and my leave was coming to an end, so I started to pack my things and prepare to go back to sea again. I left home one morning nice and early and caught the bus into town and made my way to the railway station for the train to Woolwich, from there i made my way to the ferry, then onwards to the docks.
    I had reported to the federation offices in the Royal Group Docks on Thursday 12th May and was given the job of pantry boy, on the Shaw Savill ship Taranaki.
    My cabin was with the pantry staff, a two berth cabin for two pantry men, one for the officers/passengers saloon and the other for the engineer’s saloon. The cabin consisted of two bunk beds, with drawers under a settee, two wardrobes and a chest of drawers.
    My job function was to do the washing up and keep the pantry and areas around clean.
    I and the rest of the crew signed on Sunday 22nd May, My wages for this voyage were £16-12-6 per month We left for Antwerp on the same day, leaving the docks with the pilot on board and assisted by two tugs, we made our way out of the docks into the locks and out into the river, on our way to Gravesend where we were to change pilots, then down the lower reaches of the river and out into the channel, where we were to disembark the pilot, and we were on our way across the channel to our Continental port Antwerp. As far as I can remember we did not have a lifeboat drill, this normally happened when going deep sea. Once we were in the channel the walkers patent log was put into use, this was a bronze rotator attached to a long line, which when rotated by the ships forward movement, measured the distance travelled and the speed. Note, this item was used every time a ship left any port.
    We arrived in Antwerp on the next day, Monday 23rd May.
    Whilst in port some of us went ashore for the normal drink and a good time. The next morning when I awoke, I was covered in a rash, tiny red spots. So I reported myself to the Chief Steward, who informed the ships agent, who in turn informed a local doctor, who I had to go and visit. I was taken to the doctors in a local taxi which waited whilst I was in the doctors and then returned me to the ship. The doctor was not sure if my rash was contagious, however the ship was put in quarantine, meaning no one was allowed to go ashore.
    I was put into a spare cabin(passengers) on my own and was not allowed to work or go ashore. As I had the rash and no one was sure if it was catching, I could not be sent home in case it caused an outbreak. All my meals were brought to me, and I had cream to rub on the rash daily.
    Most of the crew were very good. Some even brought me some old magazines, for me to read, I think however that the Chief Steward had something to do with this. I did find myself getting very bored and did ask if I could do something, but I was not allowed.
    On the Tuesday 24th May, we left Antwerp for Rotterdam, arriving there on Tuesday 24th May and providing I stayed in my cabin whilst in port, the rest of the crew could go ashore. Think of all the fun of going ashore that I missed out on.
    We finally left Rotterdam on Thursday 26th May and sailed for Bremen. Arriving there on Friday 27th May for loading for Australia, again I was restricted to my cabin, by now I was getting quite bored. Most of my time was spent sleeping and eating, it was a bit like being on a cruise without the freedom. We left here on Sunday 29th May for Hamburg arriving the next day on Monday.30th May; it was here that I was allowed out of my cabin to walk around the deck. And after loading we left on Tuesday 31st May,

It was while we were on our way to London, that I ventured up towards the bridge where I had seen the captain, I apologised to him for my problem, and I was told not to worry as it could happen to anyone. He allowed me to stay up on the bridge wing whilst we were on our way to London. It was then I realised how busy the English Channel could get. We arrived back in London on Wednesday 1st June. My wages for this voyage were £5-18-4 and somehow I had spent £2-8-0.
    It took several days for the rash to clear. The cause is still unknown.

CONSTRUCTION NOTES
    BUILDER-------------Fairfield, Govan
    YARD NO------------625
    ENGINES BY--------Builder
    YEAR BUILT--------1928
    PROPOLSION-------Diesel 2scsa
    LAUNCHED---------10/12/1927
    TYPE------------------Reefer
    TONNAGE-----------5054
    LENGTH--------------500ft
    BREADTH------------64ft
    REGISTERED AT---Southampton
    SPEED
    OFFICIAL NO-------149304

HISTORY
    1928 Built for Shaw Savill & Albion
    1963 Sold to Japanese breakers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Chris Allman thanked for this post
  3. Total Comments 1

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: TARANAKI TALES ON THE CONTINENT (By Mike Hall)

Thankyou for reading my Voyage story.
    Gallery Manager and Friend of the Website

R 693816

Please visit the Gallery to see the latest photos