Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Merchant Navy Medal for Meritorious Service

10 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 26th May 2016 08:12 PM

NEWS:

- 2015 citations announced

- Chairman's response to the new State Award

- Shipping Minister Robert Goodwill on the new state award

Following the investiture of the 2015 Merchant Navy Medals, at Trinity House on Monday 23rd November, Shipping Minister Robert Goodwill MP announced a new State Award to be known as the Merchant Navy Medal for Meritorious Service, which will have a place in the Order of Wear. Her Majesty The Queen graciously signed the Royal Warrant for the new Medal. The first of these medals will be presented in 2016 and will replace the prestigious Merchant Navy Medal, which has been awarded by the Merchant Navy Medal Committee, on behalf the industry, from 2005 until this time. The Committee has a wide range of expertise from across the maritime industry.

Whilst the Department of Transport will ultimately be responsible for recommending awards to the Ministers it has agreed to consult closely with the Merchant Navy Medal Committee when reviewing nominations. Whilst nominations can be sent directly to the Department, they have also agreed that the Committee can review and forward nominations to them. The Committee will therefore examine carefully each nomination and advise whether they meet the criteria and whether further information is needed.

The Nomination Guidance Notes and Nomination Form are available on this website. Those wishing to place their nominations through the Merchant Navy Medal Committee should send the completed form to:

The Merchant Navy Medal Committee
    c/o Merchant Navy Welfare Board
    8 Cumberland Place
    Southampton SO15 2BH

Email: enquiries@mnwb.org.uk

Please note all nominations will be acknowledged and further information may be requested. The Merchant Navy Medal Committee will not enter into any correspondence about the eventual outcomes.

Note:
    I am sure there would be quite a few here who would qualify for this prestigious Award.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th May 2016 at 08:57 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Total Comments 10

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy Medal for Meritorious Service

Dear Gents,
    Probably a moot point, I have contacted the enquiry line 're this medal and they have informed me that this medal is not awarded posthumously. This is very sad, surely men who have died at sea deserve their service to be acknowledged and remembered. I for one am very disappointed that there is no recognition for Merchant sailors who lose their life in service. My Father gave up his life because of his dedication to his career and his loyalty to his crew. To have his service recognised would have brought a great comfort to my family.

4. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong, Bill Cameron, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2