Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Suicide and our Armed Forces

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Suicide and our Armed Forces

John.
    My first bosun who I sailed with for two years was a huge Welshman who ho had been a prisoner of war, he told me the Germans who he hated, put him in a hole in the open with a wire across the top, he never told me what for, but he was a hard man,but fair. Taught me a lot about seamanship.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

2. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today’s generation the way I see it Des are taught to run before they can walk .That is the cart is put before the horse and have adapted to the Scow wegian method for certification and getting before the seatime . It is on ships that you gain knowledge from other people’s practical experience . I still maintain the only way to train seafarers is the old British way and not the now European way . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My mate Mr West who did catering for the Kray twins had for some time been in the Military Police.
    Told me of one guy who was attacked but won.
    Some form of martial art, hit the other guy in the stomach with an open had and got his fingers under the ribs, pulled hard and broke two.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did he get his spare ribs for tea then John ? If you grab the flesh of anyone’s inner thigh in the groin region and squeeze you will have them immobilised within 5 seconds . Don’t practice it on your wife though or she’ll have you in the divorce court. JS
    PS you can do it with 2 fingers or should say finger and thumb.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th May 2023 at 07:06 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    If I tried that with the wife I would wake up in the morning with 8 broken fingers and maybe even the toes.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, do that and there is no guarantee you will wake up ever again.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#43. Ref. To the Result of the 5 year court case of our VC holder , the judges result should be out tomorrow God willing. I had a quick look to familiarise myself of the arguments and see it is also an argument with 2. News media channel 7 and 9. See also which hadn’t noticed before was the same reporter for channel 7 who I wrote into the media source complaining of another enquiry he got his beak into when interviewing the crew of a jack up in the Mexican Gulf , he literally accused the master and crew of a supplyvessel of leaving them to die in the water. March 2012. I wrote as said into channel 7 complaining of the obvious bias this man showed towards the marine crew going legally about their business. I also wrote into the Australian vessel which received this complete utter rubbish this man put out.
    The second letter I wrote to the owners of the vessel who at one time I also worked for.
    The following is the letter I wrote to Mermaid Marine...
    Dear Sir, I am addressing this letter to the operations manager , I suppose it should be to whom it may concern. I watched the Sunday Night show on Ch. 7 last night , Sunday , and may I say I have never seen so much crap.
    It concerned one of your vessels. The program dwelled solely on an obvious bunch of longshoremen on a Jack up.
    The so called captain of such had much to say about nothing really and was the usual ploy I would say for compensation .
    Unless I am wrong , in which case thewhole scenario changes, there was no mention of the obvious duty of this may I say Capt. Of the jack up of putting out a Mayday or even a Pan , in which case I would suggest he was responsible for subsequent events. I used to work for your company and various other companies in the area so am conversant with such types of shipping even thoughI retired 10 years ago.
    I sincerely hope that the master of your vessel is not taking this to heart and becoming too depressed and fights back if he thinks he is in the right . I hope also you are giving him the backing if he needs it. I was at the Piper Alpha disaster in 1988 and know what the Press are like which I have little time for.
    I felt that I had to write this letter as support to your employee even though I do not know him.
    I have already sent an email to the program they no doubt will throw it in the wastepaper basket . If
    You ever need any remarks or suggestions on what they should do with the program discussed , don’t hesitate to call me.
    Best Regards.

JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The answer I received from Mermaid Marine...
    Dear John.

MERMAID VIGILANCE -SUNDAY NIGHT PROGRAM.

Thank you for your letter dated 4 March 2012 in relation to Channel 7, Sunday Night program about our Company on the same date.
    Can I firstly say it is quite heartening that people like you can see the programme for what it is and are prepared to say something about it.
    As you can imagine ,I was personally and professionally appalled at the level of bias in the reporting and we have written a letter of complaint to Channel 7. The selective editing and leading questions by Ross Coulthard did not in any way give a fair and balanced report on the facts as they pertained to either our master , our Company or the events which unfolded during Hurricane “ Nate”.
    As you point out in your letter , it was a very difficult decision for our master to take but we believe it was the right one in the circumstances to protect the lives of the 37 crew and passengers on board the Mermaid Vigilance.
    We are confident that the official investigations will support the actions and decisions of our Master.
    I have scanned your letter and sent it to the Master of the Mermaid Vigilance so that he knows there are intelligent people in other parts of the World supportive of his actions.
    Once again thank you for taking the time to write to us and I. Wish you all the best .
    Regards Mermaid Marine Australia Limited,
    Signed
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st May 2023 at 01:07 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

News not long in/.
    Cpt Smith lost his defamation case against the media.

The judge ruled, in a civil not criminal court, that the case of murdering 4 unarmed Afghans was true.

Now this Cpt won the VC for is actions in Afghanistan and has not been tried in any court for war crimes of any kind.

Like so many soldiers, trained in war fare, to kill when required.
    Claim was the ones he killed were unarmed, that is no weapon in sight.
    That does not mean they were unarmed, some one has a problem with the Cpt.
    It was reported at the time that a couple of other soldiers asked why they had not received awards, maybe a case of sour grapes somewhere reporting something not factual.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A complete miscarriage of Justice!
    As said in War People are trained to do what is necessary, i have a bit of experience on that!
    Thank goodness though that there are no War Crimes against him, he deserves far better treatment!
    At least he shot off to Bali for a well deserved Break, i only hope that things will now be finished with, and that he can just be left alone and get on with his Life!
    Will he fight this decision ??? For his sake i hope not, just let sleeping Dogs lie!

Who are we to say!??
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz, j.sabourn liked this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast