Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Silver War badge WW1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Silver War badge WW1

Hi Guys,
    I wonder if anyone can help with this request. A distant relative of mine in Australia has had a family bereavement came across this badge when going though paper work. The badge has a number which I think is 208647 does anyone know if it is possible to find out who the badge was presented to. He has no details of any name and as no knowlage of anyone in his family serving in WW2. I should say that his family emigrated to Aussia in the 60s and before that were living in Glasgow. Possible second names are Wilson, Gibson, and Holiday. I know it is a long shot but if anyone would know how to find the name of who was presented with this badge it would be one of the Historians on this forum. It is a strange colour though and looks like brass or gold. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver War Badge.jpg
    Badge .jpg

Back of badge.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by J Gowers; 17th November 2021 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Silver War badge WW1

As said in the Script this Badge was only awarded to WW1 Personnel, There were over 15,000 issued, so would at least need a name to get anywhere with this ! The Number is a Unique one printed on each Medal, so dont think it would be a Service Number but not sure on that ??
    Cheers
    Good Luck!

Could possibly be of someone in the Family that Served in WW1 , or a Badge just given to the Family for some reason?????

Added Not sure here but found this on Ancestry (may be our Marian can get access) as there is a Record.
    But not sure if it is the one in question, it has the Badge Number of 208647 with the name whoever that may be ?? The full record should tell more!
    T Holliday 2086 47
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 17th November 2021 at 11:04 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc,
    Thanks for that I found in a description on the Internet that the number on the medal was not the service number and it was 1,150,000 issued. The person who passed away recently was Tommy Holiday he was about 80 years old so it may have been his father or grandfathers.
    Last edited by J Gowers; 18th November 2021 at 09:22 AM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you go on your computer put in Silver War Badge List 1914-1918. This will give you a site in which you can look up the names of the people who got this badge. The list does not give the badge numbers but it does give the name and the service number, I note in the case of Thomas Holiday there is quite an extensive list for that name. I recall from the past that there is a list that does give the badge numbers but cannot find the reference for that, I seem to recall that it may have been the National Archives. As a matter of interest to me these were also issued to merchant seamen for the 14-18 war. Let me know if you have any luck and in the meantime I will do a bit of searching to see what I can glean from past research.

Ian

6. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further to my last. I found the following information on Ancestry. They have a site for the Silver War Badge and gives the following data War Badge number 208647 was issued to T. Holiday of the 5th Highland Light Infantry service number 3578. It also mentions that he enlisted 17-6-15 and was discharged due to sickness 13-3-16, it also mentions that he served overseas. With his service number you should be able to look up his service record and perhaps be able to find out more info such as next of kin etc. Good luck hope this helps you get underway.

Ian

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Not the WW1 Memorial Plaque that was issued after the First World War to the next-of-kin of all British Empire service personnel who were killed as a result of the war ?

The plaques (which could be described as large plaquettes) about 4.72 inches (120 mm) in diameter, were cast in bronze, and came to be known as the "Dead Man’s Penny", because of the similarity in appearance to the much smaller penny coin which itself had a diameter of only 1.215 inches (30.9 mm). 1,355,000 plaques were issued, which used a total of 450 tons of bronze and continued to be issued into the 1930s to commemorate people who died as a consequence of the war.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 19th November 2021 at 10:14 PM.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guys thanks to all for this info I wil pass it on to Gary Holiday who is I think is the great grandson of Tommy Holiday.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the family want more information regarding T. Holiday or Holliday - and especially as there is a Glasgow/Scotland connection, there is a magical (and extremely easy to work) website called "Scotlands People" which runs from 1855 to date which gives you downloadable, on screen, fully detailed documents for births, marriages (really good for details of maiden names of wives), deaths, census records, valuation rolls (addresses and sometimes whole families names) but these valuaton rolls are only available in 5/10 year intervals - i.e. 1910, 1915) etc. and from which I have been able to write a 160 page family history from 1850 to today. It is also inexpensive (I used to spend £10 a time) as you can choose how many credits you want at a time. They are part of the "National Register for Scotland" in Edinburgh who you can email. Hope this helps if your relative wants to take this course. Tried to attach an example of one of these docs. but don't know if worked! NB. Glasgow area can be found in the County of Lanark on Scotlands People. Please contact if need any more help in this regard as I know Glasgow and Scotlands People very well. Cheers. H
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th November 2021 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Further info. given and 1 amendment in text done

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Kind offer Helen, nice to see an offer of genuine assistance to our members.

Respect.

Keith.

15. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Helan,
    Thanks for the info I will pass this on

17. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast