Thread: Thirty Nine Years Ago.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thirty Nine Years Ago.

I remember this day as if it happened yesterday.
    Click on html below to read about it.

THE STORY OF SEFTON – Number One London

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thirty Nine Years Ago.

A wonderful story of some terrible events in London all those years ago.
    I recall the incident but living here was not aware of the horse.
    On many occasions with such injuries he would have been put down.
    The surgeons that saved him to live to such an age should be thanked fully for all their efforts.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The captain of the ship I was on at that time, his son was in that regiment, we were in the far East at the time and it was a very worrying time for him, it took a few days before he got news that his son was o.k. and had not been injured.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone,
    The last mounted parade of the 4/7th Royal Dragoon Guards (the regiment I had the privilege of serving in) took place in Edinburgh in 1938. The regiment became mechanised after this.
    The origin of the regiment dates back to 1685 when King James II of England and VII of Scotland raised the regiment to fight against William of Orange.
    Click on html below for more information.

https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forc...andard1938.htm

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My late Brother Greg had the Privilege of Serving with the Queen's Own Hussars late 1950's if i recall correctly!
    He was one Proud Lad!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Doc, your brother had every right to be a Proud Lad after serving with such a prestigious light cavalry regiment as the Queen's Own Hussars.
    Regards from,
    Fouro.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fouro,I Have have read every post and given most a like or a thank you because as you quite rightly say it was a cowardliness and totally unnecessary act of murder and mayhem by the hands of the I.R.A. 39 Years ago, But i have thought about posting this since i read your first post and i dont wish to throw your post of tack by any means but i have searched my soul for the last 50 years wondering why so few seaman let alone citizens of the UK had any idea about the Harmattan incident she was one of J & C. Harrison Ltd., London She was at the so called 8 mile safe anchorage of the coast of Pakistan who at the time were at war with Bangladesh We aboard Anchor Donaldson's Eucadia was also at the 8 mile safe anchorage. We were out of the way on the 8th of December 1971 well,,, That,s what ,,we were informed the Indian Admiralty just like the I.R.A. Had other ideas Broken up at Karachi as a result of being struck by gunfire and missiles when she was at anchor off Karachi 08/12/1971 during an Indo-Pakistan conflict. Seven of her crew lost their lives. I believe or have been told it got a 3 to 5 minute slot on the evening news back here in the uk. After returning home after 12 months i went straight to the shipping federation {The Pool } They new very very little if nothing at all about the incident, Or for that matter the seaman's union. At the time Labour M.P. for Hull east and former Merchant seaman John Prescott was raising questions in parliament for 3 days on the run and i believe the Indian government issued an apology to the British government explaining it was a terrible error of judgment on there part, The thing was there was 3 other Merchant vessels also struck by missiles they were for reasons known only to them selves targeting Merchant shipping thought to be carrying cargo for Karachi. The other three were not British ships the only two British ships in the Bay of Bengal was the Harmattan and our ship the Eucadia. 7 lives is not nearly as much as your post i agree never the less it was 7 seaman to many i have made contact with a few of the Harattan,s survivors and hold a lot of information on the incident including the ship,s captain,s Testament that he left in his will { Long Story } How i obtained it regarding the ships demise anyone want a copy send me your email your welcome. Suppose what i am trying to say with this post is the 7 Merchant seaman who lost there lives in what i regard a cowardliness attack by an Admiralty to this day celebrate Navy day on the 8th of December every year were no better than the I.R.A, At that time. No memorial or yearly service or remembrance of any kind for 7 men who gave the ultimate for doing there job. R.I.P. Them all forever young and never forgotten Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 23rd July 2021 at 04:12 PM.
    {terry scouse}

10. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post