Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Korea, The Forgotten War.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Korea, The Forgotten War.

Thank you for paying attention to this story, I've never heard of it. It's a very interesting article with the participants of the theses of events.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was one guy, And i am not straying away from this great thread. This guy awarded himself a medal every time he crossed the street in public. I believe when he died they where fighting over the gold medals he donned to cash them in for scrap i am not surprised they must have weighed more than he did one cruel bugger i speak of course of Idi Amin. Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had one out here Ted, he led the Anzac day marches for years up the Blue Mountains, practically had to have a barrow to carry his medals, but he had never left the country. Didn't march after he was found out.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#43... The wheelbarrow could be used for other things as well Des. I remember going to an exhibition of charcoal drawings by an ex POW off the Burma railroad.One of the sketches was of a POW carrying his bloated testicles in a wheelbarrow in front of himself , they were enormous. He had Beri- Beri. Brings to mind the real heroes who deserved medals. Every ex Japanese POW I ever spoke to said the worse crimes were committed by the Korean guards who were close allies of the Japanese. I also sailed with an Master who made a lot of money during the Korean War something to do with the script money the US forces were supplied with. Moji was the jumping off port for Korea. I was there in 1954 after hostility’s had ended . Cheers JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th July 2020 at 04:59 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I too have heard that about the Korean guards.

The story was that they had no scruples about doing what they did, far harder than the Japanese.
    Japan also owned some of them at that time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I maybe repeating myself as am almost sure have already mentioned, but one of those almost forgotten national service soldiers who fought in the forgotten Korean War was a young fellow at the time and the wife’s cousin . He and his wife died a week apart a few weeks ago with the dreaded present day virus , they were both 90. He as the ex mayor of Durham City, was pleased to hear the council flew the flag at half mast. South Korea never forgot that war and kept in touch with a lot of them, the survivors .The ex mayor also rose to be a colonel in the DLI in the reserves. I was on my first trip to sea and off the coast of Korea when the cease fire agreements were being signed. Seems like last week but was 67 years ago . Doesn’t time go fast when your having fun ? JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th July 2020 at 07:01 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone,
    In 1950 I was a young fifteen year old apprentice in the local paper mill and I remember two older apprentices getting their call up papers. They didn't bother about getting deferments as they wanted to do their National Service and get it over and done with. Both of them were allocated into the Argyle and Sutherland regt. and eventually sent out with the regt to do stint of fighting in Korea. One was badly injured and I can't remember them ever coming back to the mill. Three years into my apprenticeship I received my call up papers so I applied and was granted a deferment to complete my apprenticeship. In my last three years at school 1948, 49 and 50, mother always took us to Rothesay for a holiday. She always made sure we sailed from the Broomielaw on the Queen Mary II. The Clyde steamer was the original Queen Mary. When yard number 534 was near completion in John Brown's shipyard, Cunard approached the steamer's owners asking them if they would agree to name 534 the Queen Mary. The steamer's owners agreed to this. When the famous Cunarder became a floating hotel the Clyde steamer was given her original name back. I always enjoyed my trips aboard the steamer and maybe this was the reason I joined the MN at the MN Establishment in the Broomielaw in Glasgow.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the National Arberetoum, Alrewas, Staffordshire, their is a memorial to the fallen in the Korean War.
    Vic
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 17th July 2020 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Busan South Korea a couple of years ago and went to the national war cemetery there.
    Mainly second world war but there is a small section designated to the Korean war, very solem but beautifully laid out place.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife remembers Ronald Searl ? visiting her school after that war and seeing his drawings, the terrible sights made a big impression on her.
    Fouro.
    Wasn't it the Argyles that the yanks fired on and killed some when they took a Hill faster that they thought?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks Fouro, Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast