Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ward 10, Edinburgh War Hospital.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ward 10, Edinburgh War Hospital.

ref #5, John, It's hard to say if he was or not, but rereading the letter he states their objective was Thiepval. A map of the battle plan puts Beaumont Hamel approx. 3miles to their left, which was the objective of the Newfoundland regiment......
    regardless, brings a shiver to realize the total waste of young men.
    My father fought at Passchendeal with the Leicestershire regiment, he made it home, but a broken man due to shell shock (now PTSD). It wasn't a happy time in our house for many years, but as I was the youngest of the family, I missed the worst of it. He was a good man and provider, but suffered through no fault of his own, only that he served his country and King.
    regards, stan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re # 1.
    JS,
    Most probably you have already done it, but if you haven't, you might get a surprise if you check up on your mother's family history.

https://www.scotweb.co.uk/info/douglas

FOURO.

3. Likes Dennis McGuckin, N/A, cappy, j.sabourn liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

As an aside John, the hospital and ward 10 are in dire straits.

Inside abandoned 100-year-old asylum which housed patients from around Scotland and served as psychiatric hospital for WWI veterans (and yes, it's apparently haunted)
    Bangour Village Hospital, near Dechmont in West Lothian, opened in 1906
    Architect Hippolyte Blanc designed it as series of 'villas', set in the 17th century Scottish Renaissance style, with surrounding buildings acting as services
    In 1915, hospital was requisitioned by Army and saw influx of 3,000 wounded servicemen by 1918
    Last patients left in 2004; in 2005, used as location for film The Jacket, starring Keira Knightley and Adrien Brody.
    This abandoned asylum was one of Britain’s first 'villa-style' psychiatric hospitals - but since closing down 10 years ago, it is now a mess of crumbling brick walls and haunting empty corridors.
    Bangour Village Hospital, near Dechmont in West Lothian, opened in 1906 for Edinburgh’s 'lunatic paupers', and for almost 100 years housed patients with mental health problems from across Central Scotland.
    But after St John’s Hospital opened in nearby Livingston in 1989, it was slowly shut down, and in 2004 the last remaining ward was closed.
    Today, it is a relic of its former past, and its Grade A-listed buildings leave a chill down your spine as you walk around the 960 acre estate.
    Built on the Bangour Estate, which was bought by the Edinburgh District Lunacy Board (EDLB) in 1902, it was set up as a new style of psychiatric hospital based on the Continental Colony system.
    This approach had been developed at Alt-Scherbitz near Leipzig, Germany, and aimed to give patients a more calming environment for the duration of their stay.
    Bangour’s spacious and almost resort-like set-up was the result of a competition by the EDLB, won by Edinburgh architect Hippolyte Blanc known for his Gothic Revival style.
    Blanc decided on the idea of a series of 'villas', set in the 17th century Scottish Renaissance style to house patients, with surrounding buildings acting as services.
    The revolutionary design saw 32 villas created in the style of suburban domestic villas, with large bay windows and south-facing public rooms to bring in the most light.
    Each could house between 25 to 40 patients with the non-medical staff separated by a complex of workshops, stores, a kitchen, and the main hospital block.
    Bedrooms were also situated upstairs in an attempt to try and move patients away from the typical stresses and difficulties of institutional life.
    By the end of 1905, there were up to 200 patients in residence at the facility, and recently it was discovered that 566 patients had been buried in unmarked graves in nearby cemeteries.In 1915, the hospital was requisitioned by the Army for military use, and with added temporary marquees, housed more than 3,000 wounded servicemen by 1918.
    The influx of soldiers meant that patients with mental disorders were displaced from the site and relocated to other asylums across Scotland.
    In 1922, it reopened as a psychiatric institution and a Village Church was built to mark its reuse and serve as a war memorial.
    Following the outbreak of World War II, the complex was turned into the Edinburgh War Hospital in 1939 with a large annex built to increase its capacity.
    After the war, the annex was converted into Bangour General Hospital, and Bangour Village Hospital returned to being a psychiatric hospital.
    The disused site has a reputation among nearby residents for being haunted by the spirits of deceased patients.
    One former hospital employee who worked there in the 1980s described it as a 'sinister' place to live and was filled with 'shell-shocked' veterans of The First World War.
    He said: 'Ward 9 was most likely the one ward that gained an awful reputation for being haunted, where strange things did indeed happen.
    'I worked in there for seven months... and I still get goosebumps at the thought of working alone upstairs in that place.
    'Strange voices, moving furniture, and doors closing and pushing against you. Of course, there were psychiatric patients having strange conversations and looking like they knew exactly what was going on in that place.'
    During the 1930s, Bangour became a tuberculosis sanatorium with the fresh air and food from its own home farm being vital to patients’ recuperation.
    The last patients left the hospital in 2004, just under a century after the first arrived, and in 2005 the complex was used as a location for the psychological thriller film, The Jacket, starring Keira Knightley, Adrien Brody and Daniel Craig.
    Its future still remains uncertain, after talks between a Birmingham-based Islamic trust, NHS Lothian and West Lothian Council of turning it into a residential university fell through in 2011.
    Due to increased vandalism and graffiti, its owners NHS Lothian have been paying Profil Security on a 24/7 basis to patrol the site, with some buildings being completely fenced off.
    For the photographs click below.

Read more: Inside abandoned asylum which housed patients for 100 years | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by gray_marian; 21st January 2017 at 11:21 AM.

5. Thanks cappy, Evan Lewis, j.sabourn, N/A, Fouro thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron, Dennis McGuckin, Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#####aye thats him black douglas frightening the bairns..........cappy
    Quote Originally Posted by FOURO View Post
    Re # 1.
    JS,
    Most probably you have already done it, but if you haven't, you might get a surprise if you check up on your mother's family history.

https://www.scotweb.co.uk/info/douglas

FOURO.

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Stan. I have just noticed this post from J.S. About ten years ago the wife and I paid a homage visit to the Battle Fields of W.W.1 France. We were trying to follow in the footsteps of her late father who was with the 4th Gordons 51st Highland Divison. This took us to Beaumont Hamel at one point and I have photos of the Newfoundland Regiment Memorial also the Canadian Memorial at Vimy Ridge. The wife's father was taken P.O.W. around 1918.

newf 001.jpgcanvim1 001.jpgcanvim2 001.jpg

9. Thanks N/A, happy daze john in oz, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, N/A, Dennis McGuckin, Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As next Thursday is St. Andrews Day, and being part Scottish myself , the good or the bad half is questionable, my post on the subject of the First World War and a family correspondence of that era , hope reminds people of the futility of killing ones opposing number, who like the one doing the killing was wondering what it was all about. Hope all you good Scots put your best kilts on next Thursday, as a bona fide member of the Douglas Clan don’t know what their plaid is, but was always taught was a member of the Black Douglases as opposed to the other one. I assume Black refers to their hair and not their nature. Cheers and up your kilt. Was also told true Scotsmen wore nothing up there. Please excuse my reference is to Scotsmen and not to Scotswomen, who am sure dress differently but don’t want to be accused of sexual discrimination by any member. However personally I think it will become a mode of equality in time. HAPPY Saint Andrews Day in advance.
    JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th November 2017 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12. A belated thanks Fouro just sighted your reply and others also. Thought I would put St. Andrews day on this post as refers to Scotland land of the brave. Am now reading posts I didn’t know were there, so belated thanks to all if haven’t already done so. Will read your info. Fouro and if find am in line for the Scottish throne will be changing any political beliefs I have and will be shouting Home Rule For Scotland the same as my grandfather and Aunt who wouldn’t pay any bills as said she was related to Mary Queen Of Scots . You may call me your eminence until the official title comes through. Then it will be Your Highness. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th November 2017 at 04:59 AM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon, Fouro thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As on the subject of old mail, also when clearing my mothers stuff out after she died also found correspondence between her and the Queen Mother.. Don’t know where the letter is at the moment so can’t remember if was actually written by her or one of her Lady’s in Waiting. However my mother was in service and waited on her when the Queen mother was Lady Bowes - Lyon.. will have to have a big sort out sometime, if can raise the energy, before get too old. JWS

14. Likes Dennis McGuckin, Fouro, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To JWS,
    I sincerely hope you find the correspondence which took place between your mother and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. Not only is this letter a valuable antiquity, it is also a very special family heirloom of historic importance.
    Best Regards,
    Fouro.

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The First World War had its roots and was started in Sarajevo and was because of animosity between Austria and Hungary. On June the 28 1914, Gavrilo Princip, he and friends had tried and failed to kill Archduke Franz Fernidad, the heir to the imperial Austria-Hungarian throne.
    Even in those days Serbia wanted independence from the Austrian-Hungarian empire.The Austro-Hungarian Empire demanded handing over the assassins they refused . Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia on July 28 1914. Because of various defence treaty’s , one nation after another took sides. Nothing to do with the heads of state as suggested. As a result over half of the 42 million men mobilised became casualty’s. More than 8 million soldiers and 6 million civilians died.
    After hostility’s ended the German economy collapsed, and was during those years when Germany’s economy was on the bones of its ass, that Hitler came to power, and drag the entire world into another world war just 20 years later. If anyone was to blame it was the treaty makers, and we know who makes them. The same as the Second World War was because Germany invaded Poland who Britain had a treaty with. Germany didn’t declare war on Britain, Britain declared war on Germany. Doubt very much Hitler wanted to cross swords with Britain at that particular time, as Britain had for that era a formidable Royal Navy. since Cromwells time the sovereign of the country has been only a figure head and does not interfere with the actions of Parliament. They are a symbol much admired by many, but as often the case there are those who would like to pull down. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th November 2017 at 11:54 PM.

18. Likes Bill Cameron, N/A, Fouro liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast