Thread: This might appeal...

gray_marian Guest

Default This might appeal...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This might appeal...

Marian, It was king George V. After the contribution by what was known as the Merchant Fleet or The fourth service during the first world war. Who bestowed Navy status for what was then born the Merchant Navy. When the UK Entered the 2nd world war in Sept, 1939 King George V had abdicated from the throne and his successor King George the VI Issued this poster. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

3. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#2, Terry, Re Merchant Fleet, On my Gt,Grandfathers Identity Card it stated
    "British Mercantile Marine" 1918, is that because he only served during the war years? He returned to being a fisherman thereafter as far as I know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by red lead ted View Post
    Marian, It was king George V. After the contribution by what was known as the Merchant Fleet or The fourth service during the first world war. Who bestowed Navy status for what was then born the Merchant Navy. When the UK Entered the 2nd world war in Sept, 1939 King George V had abdicated from the throne and his successor King George the VI Issued this poster. Terry.
    Just a little correction it was King Edward VIII that abdicated.

Cheers

6. Thanks N/A, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3... Marian if remember correctly a Seamans ID card was issued same time as Dis. Book. The original one was green and pulled out to about six faces. Had Fingerprints and/or thumbprints on etc etc. This was superceded by a Red one, which at the time was supposed to act as a passport, someone should have told Her Majestys Passport Control that. I had both, some- where lying around in house moved that many times wouldnt know where. Also up until about 1960 ??? had to carry a registration card to show you had presented yourself for national Service and found to be excempt. I sailed with a lot of Fishermen and knew a lot, they all had seamens Dis. Books, whether they had to have or not, wouldnt know. Shouldnt have thought so though, unless they were employed on trade vessels. JS

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. The Kings George V and V1. The DSO Although instituted after the Crimean War by Queen Victoria for the armed services, was also awarded to MN personel in 1943 by George V1. JS

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seeing all those steam traction engines reminds me of a Radio Operator who I sailed with. His family owned on of these that they had restored, along with an old council road side wheeled workers cabin which they had fitted out as a caravan. He lived in N. Yorks and every year there was a traction engine rally at a place called Masham. Masham is the site of a well known brewery. Myself and memsahib went down one year to see him at this annual rally where there was a large number of restored traction engines. Great day out it was viewing all these restored steam traction engines. I was asking him how difficult it was to drive these engines. As they only had a top speed of around 10mph and very rudimentary braking systems, it was usual to take them by low loader to near where the exhibition was and only drive them the last mile or so, especially as they consumed large quantities of coal.. Steering was a bit hit and miss and he told me that one time they were out with the engine on some narrow country road when a mini came around a bend on the wrong side of the road, They were unable to stop or steer out of the way quickly enough and ended up going across the bonnet of the mini, crushing it.
    Had a very pleasant day down there with him, the only problem being that having sampled a bit too much of his families excellent home brew, I had to have a nap in the caravan to sober up enough before driving home. This ruined memsahibs plans as she had organised an evening out for us with friends but due to my over indulgence in home brew, it meant we got home to late for the meet up.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Adamson View Post
    Just a little correction it was King Edward VIII that abdicated.

Cheers
    John, I very seldom google anything on this forum. We all print mistakes that's why there are rubbers on the end of pencils.
    Hear we go again did you know the word pencil, Actually means a small penis Regards John Terry.
    {terry scouse}

13. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    #2, Terry, Re Merchant Fleet, On my Gt,Grandfathers Identity Card it stated
    "British Mercantile Marine" 1918, is that because he only served during the war years? He returned to being a fisherman thereafter as far as I know.
    Correct Marian, But when he returned to the sea as a fisherman he would have sailed under the red duster the Merchant Navy flag. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #3... Marian if remember correctly a Seamans ID card was issued same time as Dis. Book. The original one was green and pulled out to about six faces. Had Fingerprints and/or thumbprints on etc etc. This was superceded by a Red one, which at the time was supposed to act as a passport, someone should have told Her Majestys Passport Control that. I had both, some- where lying around in house moved that many times wouldnt know where. Also up until about 1960 ??? had to carry a registration card to show you had presented yourself for national Service and found to be excempt. I sailed with a lot of Fishermen and knew a lot, they all had seamens Dis. Books, whether they had to have or not, wouldnt know. Shouldnt have thought so though, unless they were employed on trade vessels. JS
    Hi John, Fishermen serving on merchant ships of any type during world war one I doubt if they held seaman's discharge books. As you know it can be a mine field tracing anyone as early as 1918 / Quote,

Merchant seamen's pouches, 1913-1940

These pouches contain all documents submitted by seamen to the Registry of Shipping throughout their career, often including photographs, together with copies of documents issued to them, and are to be found at the National Archives, Central Register of Seamen's Records (Pouches) (BT 372).

The Fifth Register of Merchant Seamen's Service, 1941-1972, are also held at the National Archives (BT 382).

Sea Service Records, 1973-1993 - No records are available from the Registry of Shipping and Seamen, as after 1973, the Registrar General was not required by legislation to keep records.

Sea Service Records, 1994-2003 - The Registry of Shipping and Seamen is able to provide information taken from ships' official log books and crew agreements, which can be recorded onto a Certificate of Sea Service (for a charge
    {terry scouse}

17. Thanks N/A, j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast