Thread: memories

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default memories

Hello Army boys. First time I have posted to you.

When my father was C.Q.M.S, stationed at Oteley Park Camp in Ellesmere, almost every day that the camp band were practising their music, they would play LILLYBURLERO, (is that spelt right)? and I understood that that piece of music was the R.E.M.E. march past tune. Eventually dad retired from the army, and I never heard that tune again till last Saturday when I watched the film Raid on Rommel when it was played several times. Obviously it brought back memories of my younger days, except, whilst still a kid in school, we were taught a song that contained the words---SEVENTEEN TIMES AS HIGH AS THE MOON, sung to the tune of LILLYBURLERO.

Can any one throw any light as to the origin of that music, and, or, a connection to the nursrey rhyme sung to that tune?

Best regards to you all,

Colin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lillibullero (also sometimes spelled Lillibulero or Lilliburlero) is a march that seems to have been known at the time of the English Civil War. According to the BBC, it "started life as a jig with Irish roots, whose first appearance seems to be in a collection published in London in 1661 entitled 'An Antidote Against Melancholy', where it is set to the words 'There was an old man of Waltham Cross'." The lyrics generally said to be by Thomas, Lord Wharton were set to the tune of an older satirical ballad.

The most popular lyrics refer to the Williamite war in Ireland 1689-91, which arose out of the Glorious Revolution. In this episode the Catholic King James II, unsure of the loyalty of his army, fled England after an invasion by Dutch forces under the Protestant William III. William was invited by Parliament to the throne. James II then tried to reclaim the crown with the help of France and his Catholic supporters in Ireland led by Richard Talbot, 1st Earl of Tyrconnell. His hopes of using Ireland to reconquer England were thwarted at the Battle of the Boyne in July 1690.

The song Lillibullero puts words into the mouths of Irish Catholic Jacobites and satirizes their sentiments, pillorying the supporters of the Catholic King James. It was said to have ‘sung James II out of three kingdoms’.

Ho, brother Teague, dost hear the decree?
    Lillibullero bullen a la
    We are to have a new deputy
    Lillibullero bullen a la

Refrain:
    Lero Lero Lillibullero
    Lillibullero bullen a la
    Lero Lero Lero Lero
    Lillibullero bullen a la

Oh by my soul it is a Talbot
    Lillibullero bullen a la
    And he will cut every Englishman's throat
    Lillibullero bullen a la

Refrain

Now Tyrconnell is come ashore
    Lillibullero bullen a la
    And we shall have commissions galore
    Lillibullero bullen a la

Refrain

And everyone that won't go to Mass
    Lillibullero bullen a la
    He will be turned out to look like an ass
    Lillibullero bullen a la

Refrain

Now the heretics all go down
    Lillibullero bullen a la
    By Christ and St Patrick's the nation's our own
    Lillibullero bullen a la

Refrain

There was an old prophecy found in a bog
    Lillibullero bullen a la
    The country'd be ruled by an ass and a dog
    Lillibullero bullen a la

Refrain

Now this prophecy is all come to pass
    Lillibullero bullen a la
    For Talbot's the dog and Tyrconnell's the ass
    Lillibullero bullen a la
    Refrain

An explanation of the lyrics

The lyrics of the song are very closely related to Irish politics of the 1680s and '90s. "Teague" or Taig was (and is) a derisive term for the Irish Catholics - derived from the Irish first name "Tadhg". The "new Deputy" refers to Richard Talbot, 1st Earl of Tyrconnell, who was appointed Lord Deputy of Ireland by James II in 1687. The first Irishman and Roman Catholic to hold the post in nearly 200 years, he quickly filled the army in Ireland with Catholic officers (hence "we will have commissions galore") and recruits, alarming the Protestant community and raising the hopes of the Irish Catholic community for a restoration of their lands and political power ("by Christ and St Patrick, the nation's our own" - the reference may also be to Dublin's two Cathedrals: Christ Church - more properly Holy Trinity - and St Patrick's). The Catholic resurgence awakened fears amongst Irish Protestants of a massacre, similar to that which had happened in the Irish Rebellion of 1641.
    The song parodies the widespread Irish belief in prophecy[citation needed] ("there was an old prophecy found in a bog, that Ireland'd be ruled by an ass and a dog"). Talbot, as well as being a name, is a breed of hound or hunting dog. A common theme of such prophecies was that the foreigners would be driven out of Ireland in some decisive battle.[citation needed] See the Siege of Limerick (1690), for an example of these attitudes. The song's title and the words of the refrain have been interpreted as a garbled version of the Irish words Lile ba léir é, ba linn an lá, "Lilly was clear and ours was the day". The lily may be a reference to the fleur de lis of France, or to a popular interpreter of prophecies named William Lilly, who had prophesied in the late 16th century that a Catholic would come to the throne of England. Alternatively, the lyrics could mean, "Lilly is clear [about this], the day will be ours". It is also thought that "Lilli" is a familiar form of William, and that bullero comes from the Irish "Buaill Léir ó", which gives: "William defeated all that remained".

The Drinking Version

When Venus, the goddess of beauty and love
    Arose from the broth that swam on the sea
    Minerva sprang out, from the cranium of Jove
    A coy, sullen dame, as most authors agree
    But Bacchus, they tell us, that prince of good fellas
    Was Jupiter's son, pray attend to my tale
    And those that dost patter, mistake not the matter
    He sprang from a bottle of Nottingham Ale!
    Refrain:
    Nottingham Ale, boys, Nottingham Ale
    No liquor on earth is like Nottingham Ale!
    Nottingham Ale, boys, Nottingham Ale
    No liquor on earth is like Nottingham Ale!
    Now you bishops and deacons, priests, curates and vicars
    When once you have tasted, you'll know it is true
    That Nottingham Ale, it's the best of all liquors
    And none understand what is good as do you
    It dispels every vapor, saves pen, ink and paper
    When you've a mind from your pulpit to rail
    It can open your throats, you can preach without notes
    When inspired by a bottle of Nottingham Ale
    Refrain
    Now you doctors who more executions have done
    With powder and potion and bolus and pill
    Than hangman with noose, a soldier with gun
    A miser with famine, a lawyer with quill
    To dispatch us the quicker, forbid us malt liquor
    'Til our bodies consume and our faces grow pale
    But mind who he pleases, what cures all diseases
    'Tis a comforting bottle of Nottingham Ale

and the nursery rhyme

There was an old woman
    Tossed up in a basket
    Seventeen times as high as the moon.
    Where she was going
    I just had to ask it,
    For in her hand she carried a broom.

"Old woman, old woman,
    Old woman," said I,
    "Please tell me, please tell me,
    Why you're up so high?"
    "I'm sweeping the cobwebs
    Down from the sky,
    And I'll be with you
    By and by."

and finally the tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SISjSXsb1xU
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: memories

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the information regarding 'Lillibullero'. I had no idea whatsoever of it's origins. Although I have some recollection of singing a version of the song during my schooldays (can still hear it resounding off the walls of the assembly hall), for some strange reason I have always associated it with Britain's involvement in the Boer War....and why ? I don't really know . Over the years I do recall hearing it played quite regularly as an intro' for the news or some such programme on the BBC World Service. Behind a military band, it was a kind of music that would induce men to confront their fear as they marched forward into hell. It is the sort of tune one never forgets.

..........Roger
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 11th September 2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: added text

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Video of March

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SISjSXsb1xU And the old good BBC World Service when Radio Broadcast was real Radio! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4BZrSj2VU4
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th September 2013 at 07:20 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: memories

Rob, I take my hat off to you. Where on earth do you get all this info. from?
    Now that I have read the nursery rhyme, the words 'seventeen times as high as the moon' come back to

Anyway, thanks for all that mate, Best regards, Colin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re Rob's info

The name of the game Colin is Google! Lots of info on all things to be had,however I am not taking anything away from Rob,as he may well have known all he has posted without the help of that great informer Mr Google haha!Cheers You know what I mean Rob!! some have it and some don't,me I don't I rely on Mr Google so much! Well there are I suppose things I do know haha! Eeeeekk!!! Doc the Crock!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "problem " with Google is making it search what you want it to search and I have put a query into Google and got silly answers , then modified the search and got straight answers , so Google s not always as user friendly as it should be . I use it a lot , I do some consulting work and find the ability to search out different things a wonderful asset .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )