Thread: Gurkha pension

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gurkha pension

Recall some time back that the British Government were going to stop the pension for Gurkha Vets.
    Missed the outcome to that fiasco. Anyone know how it turned out.?
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am pretty sure they got their pension, campaign was run by Joanne Lumley, her father i believe was an officer of the ghurkas,and quite right to, these guys have been very loyal to the Brits over the years
    Regards KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

their blood was spent the same as our lads they should by law be entitled to the same pensions as any other soldier they can do 20 years in the military and be kicked out of the country they fought for i think they did get their pensions they never came in on the back of a wagon in Dover.jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sorry no money for you!!!!

Hi shipmates, we never look after our own. our Gurkha friends and our old people and disable get the short end of the stick? But terrorist, crooks and illegals we give them the best treatment and rent free homes , free money, free healthcare free schools Gurkhas. they join the British Army age 18 to 20yrs min if they pass the training many dont' pass its very hard!!! only the very best get in , must serve 15years or 32 max{ officers} to get any pension.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ghurkas

when i was flying, the company I worked for got a series of charters for the military flying Ghurka troops from Hong Kong down to Labuan and Kuching Borneo, with a 131 troops on board we arrived at an RAF base in the jungle, they were a little late in putting the stairs up to the aircraft so the senior officer said "all out" and one by one they jumped about 25ft to the ground, stood up and fell into line, turned right and marched off. talking to the officers and NCO`s with them they said there was no finer soldier in any army that could match the Ghurkas, they were feerles due to their religion that a better world awaits them in death,
    one officer told me that when a patrol was out one time, they ran across a bunch of Soekarnos insurgents and killed them all, however an enquiry was done as of the six insurgents only 6 bullet holes were found in the bodies and there were 7 Ghurkas. they wanted to find out who missed.
    durring one of these trips I got the opportunity to go out in the jungle with a patrol, led by a British sargent, 6 Ghurkas and a fuzzy wuzzy complete with bone though the nose, bones through the ears ect. and carried a blow pipe, we didn`t see any action but did i get bitten by mosquitos, never again did i ask to go out with them.
    they were never paid the same rates as British Troops, but i for one would say that thoughout their time in the army they are entitled to a pension, in those days when they went home they were dropped off in Calcutta, train up as far as it went north, then a 2 week walk to get home.
    keith moody
    R635978

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The government backed down on the issue and gave them a pension of sorts and also the right to a British passport. Unfortunately they didn't think it through too well as the Ghurka was the breadwinner in his family and when many of them chose to settle here their dependents included parents, aunts and uncles, nephews and nieces, as well as brothers and sisters and various children. This led to the population of Aldershot increasing by 10% in a very short space of time putting considerable strain on the local infrastructure. The town is still quite divided on the issue as the government didn't put in any extra resources.

I think the last major problem raised in parliament was a lack of park benches as the Nepalese spend all day sitting on them and the local pissheads haven't got anywhere to congregate.

Regards
    Calvin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Calvin the least we can say is the young of a Gurkha parent is likely to have had a good upbringing more than we can say for a lot of parents thees days? out of all immigrants that come to this country i for one would welcome an ex Gurkha here any day than some of the sh.te that's coming in.jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gurkha Pension

Way back in January 1942 on my last trip on the Duchess of Bedford we embarked Indian and Gurkha troops for Singapore and we use to watch Johnny Gurkha doing their drills and alot of them could speak very good English andwe use to talk with them we ask them why they had two knives in their belts they told us was the big knife was to kill the enemyand the the smaller one was to cut off the ear and put in a wee bag they had .They use to be a saying they would only drawthe knife out to draw blood but it did not seem to matter with these guys .They allwayshad a smile on their faces
    The Japanese was bit scared of these guys and they kept them in a seperate camp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Reply to Gurkha Pension

These men and their families have been badly treated..

Loyalty does not matter any more.