PDA

View Full Version : Hellooooo



karen tunnell
12th January 2011, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone! I have been hovering round this site for ages...full of great stories and information!
My name is Karen and I am the great grandaughter of a Sidney George Tunnell who was part of the merchant navy from before 1911 (census records) until he died in 1937. Based in portsmouth and then Europe during the war. He came away with 3 medals and a ranking of Leading seaman. My granddad has told me Sidney was later promoted to chief petty officer (unsure of how true that was)
During the great war he sailed on a ship named or part named STEWART. I have no more info than that.
I'd love to confirm the name of his ship so I could find a phot to put on his page in my family tree book. Those of us still living including his own son barley new him if at all and the better the picture I can build up for everyone the better we'll know him.

If there is any information anyone can offer i'd really appreciate it especially on the ship it's self.

Thanks everyone!

karen tunnell
12th January 2011, 04:34 PM
Thank you! I agree there is plenty of information on here it's very interesting =o)

Grant Saunders
12th January 2011, 05:40 PM
Welcome Karen

You might also find some info , over at

www.shipsnostalgia.com

Wishing you well with your search

Ron B Manderson
12th January 2011, 10:45 PM
Just you pull up that spare chair.
Yes that's the one.
Enjoy as we do
Ron

karen tunnell
13th January 2011, 01:39 PM
Lovely i'll have a browse at that...
Just been told most of the records I would need are in Canada!!...best start saving up! =o)
Does anyone know...did US ships come over here and use british crews? I have found a stewart but it is an american ship...

karen tunnell
13th January 2011, 01:41 PM
P.s this spare chair is lovely but I've been here so long now my bot is going numb! =o)

Mike Hall
13th January 2011, 03:06 PM
hi karen,
in answer to your little problem,a soft cushion should help.
mike:cool:

Gulliver
14th January 2011, 08:19 PM
Hello Karen,I hope that cushion is doing the trick for you......
My thoughts on this question:-
The terms Leading Seaman and Chief Petty Officer would seem to refer to the Royal Navy rather than the Merchant Navy,as could also your reference to ‘based in Portsmouth’.
 
There were quite a lot of U.S. and Canadian ships with ‘Stewart ‘ in the name.
I do not think U.S. ships would have signed on British crews
However,during his ‘timeline’( c.WW1,) I found 2 British Merchant Navy cargo vessels with STEWART in the name
LORD STEWART 1905-1918(torpedoed)
THE STEWARTS COURT 1909-1918(torpedoed)
 
 
If you also think of STUART(spelt with a ‘U’),then there would be more possibilities.
There was a Royal Navy destroyer H.M.S. STUART built towards the end of WW1(She later became the Australian ,H.M.A.S. STUART),which again brings us back to the Royal Navy or Merchant Navy question……..
Something to think about then.
All the Best
Gulliver

karen tunnell
29th January 2011, 03:26 PM
That throws a spanner in the works! lol
My grandad is 99% sure it is the merchant navy but the other 1% is a huge gap in his 80yr old memory so it's always possible.
Thanks for the names of the ships...gonna run them past him now, might jog something.
Cushion is fab! my new computer chair is even better! =o)

karen tunnell
29th January 2011, 03:46 PM
ok HMS Stuart it was! Royal navy during the war and merchant navy before hand for a short spell. aparently my great grandfather lied about his age to join the royal navy...typical! lol

Graham Evans
6th February 2011, 09:34 PM
The tanker Ohio, Operation "Pedestal", Malta convoy, was a a US vessel, however the US crew declined to sail to Malta whilst in Gib & a British crew of "volunteers", were signed on for the Malta trip. The rest is history..