PDA

View Full Version : Australind ships

Martin Rogan
18th February 2010, 07:52 PM
Dave i myself served on the Araluen late 60s . You can find ships picrures on the AIS web site.

brian evans
26th June 2010, 10:58 AM
I was on the "Araluen" as galley boy from 30.10.58 to 18.8.59,a lovely ship as i remember,i have a photo of her(black & white needless to say)discharging ammunition in Sydney bay,very frustrating being at anchor after 6 weeks at sea,wonder how long it takes these days.

Martin Rogan
26th June 2010, 11:06 AM
hi, Brian. i joined her in Leith late 60s. done one ttip on her then went ashore (big mistake). aye she was a good ship.:)

Ivan Cloherty
26th June 2010, 02:04 PM
Hi Martin

My father Ivan "Paddy" Cloherty was bosun on Araluen from 8/69 to 5/71 came ashore after heart attack, previous to that was bosun on "Galway" from 7/66 to 2/69 He liked that ship called it his namesake, as he was born in Galway

Believe captain was a Patrick Geurrier

All the best, enjoy the site

the other
Ivan Cloherty
R611450

John Fearnley
27th February 2011, 10:12 PM
Hi all
I was deck cadet on Galway then Araluen 1962-65
Galway captain wasCapt James Rideout with Pat Guerrier as mate. Araluen captain was Capt Wilcox who sneaked a ship out of N. African port at night during WWII. He deliberately left crew ashore in bars so as not to give departure away to German raider waiting offshore. I can't find anything more on this story.

ianhildreth
14th January 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined araluen in the tyne December 1967 ,got engaged all catering staff
came home with me plus a few stores had a great party six month trip
Australia and back,got married 8th JUNE 1968

Tom McQuade
5th May 2014, 12:28 PM
Hi Ivan,I sailed with Trinder Anderson from 1971-1976 4th eng onAustralind,Araluen,Arrino,Galway,Antrin,Armadale &Strathirvine (ex Donegal).Although I never sailed with you father Paddy,I did meet him once.This would be in 1966,at the time of the seamens strike.We were four young lads of on a hitch hicking jaunt to Europe.We were heading to Hull to catch the ferry to Rotterdam.We had got as far as Scotch corner and your dad,who at this time driving a truck stopped to give us lift Of course we were very grateful for the lift but your dad went further,he took us to his house and plied us tea and butties.Its something Ive never forgotten.When I was with Tinders I sailed quite a few times with third mate Tony Lowe and we always had a few tinnies after the 8-12 watch,as you do,anyway Tony had sailed with your dad when he was a cadet and he always spoke highly of him.But I must admit when Tony first mentioned Paddy Cloherty I thought its got to be the same guy.When I explained to Tony that I had met Paddy I don't think he believed me,but I was able to describe what your dad looked like and sure enough it was The Paddy Cloherty.A true gent .Cheers Tom McQuade

Ivan Cloherty
5th May 2014, 02:31 PM
Hi Ivan,I sailed with Trinder Anderson from 1971-1976 4th eng onAustralind,Araluen,Arrino,Galway,Antrin,Armadale &Strathirvine (ex Donegal).Although I never sailed with you father Paddy,I did meet him once.This would be in 1966,at the time of the seamens strike.We were four young lads of on a hitch hicking jaunt to Europe.We were heading to Hull to catch the ferry to Rotterdam.We had got as far as Scotch corner and your dad,who at this time driving a truck stopped to give us lift Of course we were very grateful for the lift but your dad went further,he took us to his house and plied us tea and butties.Its something Ive never forgotten.When I was with Tinders I sailed quite a few times with third mate Tony Lowe and we always had a few tinnies after the 8-12 watch,as you do,anyway Tony had sailed with your dad when he was a cadet and he always spoke highly of him.But I must admit when Tony first mentioned Paddy Cloherty I thought its got to be the same guy.When I explained to Tony that I had met Paddy I don't think he believed me,but I was able to describe what your dad looked like and sure enough it was The Paddy Cloherty.A true gent .Cheers Tom McQuade

Many thanks for that Tom, sounds like my dad, he often took driving jobs on extended leaves, got his PSV and enjoyed the long distance buses and meeting people. He would always be bringing seamen home whom he'd sailed with at one time or another, must have driven mum mad sometimes. I was living in London in '66 but I remember at an early when living in Hull going down to breakfast on many an occasion and finding a stranger at the breakfast table, all of whom treated my mum and us with the utmost respect, most never failed to offer doing the washing up. He never phoned to let mum know that there would be someone else for dinner and breakfast, but somehow she managed to feed them. I know a lot liked sailing with him as bosun because he always stood their corner if he thought they had been wronged and by the same token stood no truck from them if they were at fault, by all accounts he was something of a character, had sailed as 3rd and 2nd mate so knew both sides of the coin but liked 'on deck' best.

Again many thanks for the memory. Ivan

Kevan Price
20th October 2014, 07:55 PM
hi, Brian. i joined her in Leith late 60s. done one ttip on her then went ashore (big mistake). aye she was a good ship.:)
Hi Kevan Price I was an A/B on the kiwi coast and in 1959 the araluen was in Nelson, the south Island of NZ, and I was in a union Co ship, the koranui, one of the
deck crowd, I think an coast from 1958 until 1966, good times and good people.

Kevan Price
11th November 2014, 09:47 PM
I was on the "Araluen" as galley boy from 30.10.58 to 18.8.59,a lovely ship as i remember,i have a photo of her(black & white needless to say)discharging ammunition in Sydney bay,very frustrating being at anchor after 6 weeks at sea,wonder how long it takes these days.From Kevan Price
would you remember an O/S named Frankie Moon, from Cheltenham. Glos. I have tried to locate him. He wanted to jump ship in Nelson NZ, I was going to help him
I was in the union company ship M.V./ Koranui

brian clark
1st September 2016, 05:44 PM
Hi I did maiden voyage on Galway about March 1959 as Peggy great ship great crew learnt a lot as first tripper

Jimmy kelly
19th September 2016, 03:14 PM
Sailed with your dad on galway 1966 first trip after the 66 strike plus uncle pat was the captain

Ivan Cloherty
19th September 2016, 06:03 PM
Sailed with your dad on galway 1966 first trip after the 66 strike plus uncle pat was the captain

Hi Jimmy, you probably also sailed with my dad, the other Ivan (Paddy) Cloherty, he was bosun on the Galway from 2.07.1966 to17.07.1969, Pat Guerrier was also Capt at some time in that period. I also sailed with Pat G when he was 2/m in PSNC (I think it was on Samanco) but like most getting older

donthaveone
30th October 2016, 05:20 PM
Ivan
I sailed with your Dad on the Araluen in 1971. It was my first trip as a Cadet and he really looked after me, I could not have had a better teacher.
The Captain was P.D.Guerrier and we went to Australia via the Cape, then returned to U.K. via the Panama Canal which took 42 days.
We finished up in Antwerp from where your Dad & I flew back to Gatwick together, then took the train to London. By the time we reached London he needed some help to get home and I think I phoned you to say he was on his way!
My next trip was to India and the Far East on the Galway. After being a cadet, I was third mate on the Armadale for a while, then I left the sea and went back to aviation, spending the rest of my working life flying Boeing & Airbus airliners all over the place.
It is amazing that it is possible to find people taking about things that happened 45 years ago. I have never forgotten your Dad, I still have a photo of him somewhere!
Best wishes
Steve

Ivan Cloherty
30th October 2016, 05:47 PM
Ivan
I sailed with your Dad on the Araluen in 1971.
We finished up in Antwerp from where your Dad & I flew back to Gatwick together, then took the train to London. By the time we reached London he needed some help to get home and I think I phoned you to say he was on his way!
I have never forgotten your Dad, I still have a photo of him somewhere!
Best wishes
Steve

Steve thank you for your kind words and memories, needing help to get home sounds about right! but I do know he was good at his job and quite a character I believe, I know when he left the sea, he was always bringing seamen home for breakfast or dinner, never phased my mother no matter what time of day.

Des Taff Jenkins
31st October 2016, 04:30 AM
Hi Don.
Welcome to the site, plenty of tall tales here. You had a very varied life, sea to air. You seem to have found old friends on site already
Hope you enjoy all the posts and articles.
Cheers Des

Ivan Cloherty
31st October 2016, 08:41 AM
#14 Hello Steve, just checked Dad's records, 'Araluen' was his last ship, he paid off in Antwerp on 5th November 1971, he was told it would never sail again whilst in Antwerp as Pat Guerrier was worried about him as he had had a mild heart attack on the voyage and referred him to hospital. So was probably drowning his sorrows on the way home, so thanks for looking after him. Must have been devastating for him, the sea was his love and life and he was only 60 and on the surface a very fit and strong man, he died in 1976 of a heart attack the same year as his grandchildren (my twins) were born. Thanks again for your kind words and for looking after him.

donthaveone
31st October 2016, 01:31 PM
Thanks Ivan
Now you have mentioned it, I remember your Dad had to visit hospital after that trip, I paid him a quick visit at his house before returning to sea.
Do you know what became of Captain Guerrier, he was a good captain.

Ivan Cloherty
31st October 2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks Ivan
Now you have mentioned it, I remember your Dad had to visit hospital after that trip, I paid him a quick visit at his house before returning to sea.
Do you know what became of Captain Guerrier, he was a good captain.

He kept in touch for a few years, probably the only captain to sail with two Ivan Clohertys (perish the thought!) and then like all seamen drifted apart, as we did, so cannot really advise on that Steve, you know how it is you keep meaning to do things events overtake you and the years get shorter

brian clark
31st October 2016, 07:46 PM
Hi all
I was deck cadet on Galway then Araluen 1962-65
Galway captain wasCapt James Rideout with Pat Guerrier as mate. Araluen captain was Capt Wilcox who sneaked a ship out of N. African port at night during WWII. He deliberately left crew ashore in bars so as not to give departure away to German raider waiting offshore. I can't find anything more on this story.

I was deck boy on the Galway maiden voyage 1959 to kiwi coast I think captain ride out was captain then nice man firm but fair

Steve Packer
20th December 2016, 08:06 AM
Dave i myself served on the Araluen late 60s . You can find ships picrures on the AIS web site.

I joined Araluen at Avonmouth Bristol in June 68 we sailed to Finland,Sweden, then to Australia via Capetown arriving in Freemantle on the 31st of July which was my 18th birthday. found it hard to get a drink in Freemantle or Perth as it was 21 for drinking in those days in Australia. Having my head shaved first trip over the line I probably looked about 15 at the time.?? We went round the Coast stopping at Melbourne,Sydney, Newcastle, Brisbane and up to Cairns where we loaded raw sugar to take to Japan. Great place to visit when your a young lad wanting to sow your wild oats.?? that's a story for another day.. Sign off now
Regards
Steve ( Originally from Bristol England. Now Melbourne Australia )

sailor63
25th January 2017, 09:32 AM
Did a "run job" on the Australind, Antwerp to London march 1963 as "Peggy" First job after leaving the "Vindy", turned up at K.G.V.pool in Connaught Road and got given a warrant to travel from Luton to Antwerp! Quite an adventure for a 16 year old who had been no further than the journey to sea school in Gloucestershire. That journey was memorable for all the wrong reasons, took a day and a half to complete the journey, a saga in itself, only to be told, " your job is the washing up and keeping the mess room clean etc. Spent the rest of that day, and one night, departed dry dock next day, in london and paid off same day! 3 days plus the travelling, Bet those guys down the "pool" laughed their socks off with that one. Be interesting to see how many of todays 16 year olds would, or could, cope with an out of the blue journey like that, " Ere yare son, get yerself to Antwerp" end of.

Keith Tindell
25th January 2017, 09:50 AM
Sailor, they are still being directed to which classroom they are in, at school today at 16, kt

j.sabourn
25th January 2017, 10:08 AM
And they still probably wouldn't know where Antwerp was. JS

David Williams
25th January 2017, 12:59 PM
Hi Martin.
Everybody seems to have sailed on the ARELUEN,
and nobody on the AJANA apart from me !!!!!!!!
Dave Williams

Richard Culligan
26th January 2017, 04:55 PM
I was also on that voyage joining the Araluen (my 3rd trip on her) as a cadet in Hamburg 24.6.68 and we 'paid-off' in Hull 20/8/69.

Richard (R846959)

John Muckley
28th September 2018, 04:57 PM
Hi Martin

My father Ivan "Paddy" Cloherty was bosun on Araluen from 8/69 to 5/71 came ashore after heart attack, previous to that was bosun on "Galway" from 7/66 to 2/69 He liked that ship called it his namesake, as he was born in Galway

Believe captain was a Patrick Geurrier

All the best, enjoy the site

the other
Ivan Cloherty
R611450

Hello Ivan, I was Deck Cadet on the Galway from 1966 to 1968 and remember your Dad with great affection,as a 16 year old first-tripper, he looked after me like a father.
The old memory is getting a bit shaky at times now but I'm sure he told me that he had been in the army at Dunkirk but,after the evacuation, was forced to go back in the Merchant Navy due to the desperate need for trained seamen.
A real diamond geezer.

cappy
29th September 2018, 07:20 AM
Hello Ivan, I was Deck Cadet on the Galway from 1966 to 1968 and remember your Dad with great affection,as a 16 year old first-tripper, he looked after me like a father.
The old memory is getting a bit shaky at times now but I'm sure he told me that he had been in the army at Dunkirk but,after the evacuation, was forced to go back in the Merchant Navy due to the desperate need for trained seamen.
A real diamond geezer.

##methinks the apples dont fall far from the tree ......like father like son ......ivan is a man who does not suffer fools gladly ......respected by many.....regards cappy

Ivan Cloherty
29th September 2018, 09:37 AM
A real diamond geezer.

John, Thank you for those kind comments about my father, I have met a number of cadets who sailed with him and all echoed your sentiments, he served his time with Reardon Smiths in the 1920's and they were hard task masters and he was determined that he would ensure that he would not let any cadet who sailed with him become just a source of cheap labour. He was in the MN but joined the Army in September 1939 at the outbreak of war, he was evacuated from Dunkirk and after was asked to rejoin the MN, as were many others, he was also in the D-Day Landings and made many return trips to the Beaches. He died in November 1976 of a heart attack but at least he got to hold his twin grand daughters who were born in January 1976. As mentioned in an earlier post we kids often came down to breakfast to find some strange seaman/men or ex seamen he'd bumped into (which wasn't hard in Hull!) at our breakfast table.

- - - Updated - - -

##methinks the apples dont fall far from the tree ......like father like son ......ivan is a man who does not suffer fools gladly ......respected by many.....regards cappy

Many wouldn't agree with you Cappy! I do keep my eye on you all, but the older I get the busier I seem to get with fighting our MN corner and also assisting others, thought I'd have a quiet retirement and would be bored, hasn't happened yet. Regards

j.sabourn
29th September 2018, 09:51 AM
And here’s me thinkng you were reclining in one of these health spas for gentlemen Ivan. Hope your weddings etc. went off ok. That Cappy needs someone to keep an eye on him .cheers JS

cappy
29th September 2018, 06:31 PM
And here’s me thinkng you were reclining in one of these health spas for gentlemen Ivan. Hope your weddings etc. went off ok. That Cappy needs someone to keep an eye on him .cheers JS

##if nobody keeps an eye on me who is going to keep an eye on you....lol cappy

j.sabourn
30th September 2018, 04:02 AM
They seek him here they seek him there that damned elusive pimpledick. JS

Cappy I’ve been trying to work out what HIM stands for and have decided it’s Honesty, Integrity, and Morality.
Your turn to work out what HER stands for.
JS

cappy
30th September 2018, 08:27 AM
They seek him here they seek him there that damned elusive pimpledick. JS

Cappy I’ve been trying to work out what HIM stands for and have decided it’s Honesty, Integrity, and Morality.
Your turn to work out what HER stands for.
JS

###depends on what time of the day or month it is john .....cappy...whoops shes behind me