PDA

View Full Version : Update

Brian Probetts (Site Admin)
5th June 2019, 11:03 AM
Received today from John Strange........

Irene explained the circumstances and asked if the following could be put on site.

"At 0400 hours this morning Wednesday local time, Vernon complained of
feeling very unwell.

An ambulance was called for and he was taken to the local hospital,
where, not long after arrival he suffered a heart attack.

He is comfortable and being cared for as would any patient undergoing such.

He will remain in this hospital for the next week so he can gather some
strength.

He underwent a Anigiogram which showed a 75% blockage.

He will be transferred to a larger hospital next week where he will have
a triple by pass.

As you will understand as a result of this he will not be on site for
some weeks."

Rene tells me that he is comfortable and in a positive frame of mind.

Sorry it was not better news Brian but having a heart attack in a
hospital is the best place you can have one.

I will update you as soon as any other information comes to hand.

I will arrange a get well card on behalf of all site members and forward
to Rene.

Best regards

John

John Pruden
5th June 2019, 12:35 PM
lets hope they can unblock using stents I had 6 put in just after Christmas the things they do nowadays is unbelievable they went through my heart to get at the blockage I have more plumbing in me that's under our sink lets hope doc is well soon come on doc you are a fighter ? jp

happy daze john in oz
5th June 2019, 12:42 PM
lets hope they can unblock using stents I had 6 put in just after Christmas the things they do nowadays is unbelievable they went through my heart to get at the blockage I have more plumbing in me that's under our sink lets hope doc is well soon come on doc you are a fighter ? jp

Sorry John but in the case of Vernon that will not be possible. Damage is such that the only option is a by pass.
But yes agree, Stents do a great job.

William Scouller
5th June 2019, 01:54 PM
Here's hoping that he recovers soon, I had the same experience 20 years ago, also having a heart attack and having to undergo a triple bye pass.
Please let Vernon know that I've had a very happy and enjoyable life since I had my one and I am sure there are many productive years yet in the old sea dog.

Bill Scouller

John Pruden
5th June 2019, 05:47 PM
john here is hoping doc will recover well the things I seen in Liverpool heart and chest was unbelievable even with age in todays medicine and wishing doc the very best we often message on facebook. jp

Ron B Manderson
5th June 2019, 08:27 PM
We hope you have a speedy recover.
All the best we are all thinking about you
Ron the batcave

Richard Quartermaine
6th June 2019, 05:15 AM
Irene phoned this morning and said that after Vernon had been stabilised at our local Katoomba Hospital he was taken by ambulance down the Mountain to Nepean Hospital where he is on a blood thinning drip that is dissolving a blood clot. From there he will be taken later to Westmead Hospital closer to Sydney where his bi-pass operation will be carried out.

As an assurance of the treatment Vernon will receive I mentioned to Irene that in March 2005 I did exactly the same journey, hospitals and multiple b-pass treatment. It is fourteen years ago and only recently have I had problems with my heart. These problems seem to be fixed with a pacemaker fitted three weeks ago. I was out this morning, as in most mornings, at the local off leash dog park here in Katoomba with my big dog chasing balls and playing with his friends.

Vernon, mate, just get well real soon.
Richard

happy daze john in oz
6th June 2019, 05:52 AM
Irene phoned me this morning to say Vernon had a good night and is comfortable.
The medical team are preparing him for the surgery next week which Irene said may be early in the week.
She will know more later today possibly.
She said to thank all those who had contacted her and she will keep us updated most likely via Brian as from next week to mid July I will be away.

I have, on behalf of Brain and all members, sent a get well/ thinking of you card to Vernon.

Chris Allman
6th June 2019, 03:34 PM
John, Richard thank you. It is invaluable to be helped by people like your good selves keeping us up to date. It is so frustrating being so far away with no means of full communication and of course not wishing either to become a nuisance to Vernon's family. Your kindness in being a link between us and Vernon and his family is, I am sure very much appreciated by us all. Thank you for sending the card a very nice idea. I am presuming that you are going on holiday next week John, so have a great time and stay safe. Thanks again John & Richard.

John F Collier
6th June 2019, 06:23 PM
It's good to see you posting Richard and to hear you and Yoshie are back in the park again, "Long may it last''. All the best John F

John F Collier
6th June 2019, 07:39 PM
Irene phoned me this morning to say Vernon had a good night and is comfortable.
The medical team are preparing him for the surgery next week which Irene said may be early in the week.
She will know more later today possibly.
She said to thank all those who had contacted her and she will keep us updated most likely via Brian as from next week to mid July I will be away.

I have, on behalf of Brain and all members, sent a get well/ thinking of you card to Vernon.

Thanks for all the updates on Doc , will be thinking of him next week, he's a tough old bird fingers crossed that all goes well with the operation
and that we get some good news soon. If you're back on the water John, take care these cruises seem to be getting a bit iffy lately :),
have a great holiday, cheers

Keith at Tregenna
6th June 2019, 09:09 PM
Keeping up to date on / from both threads and
reiterate my best wishes and concern.

One of Doc's favourites and possibly sums up
a bit how many friends he has.

Keep safe Doc.

Keith.

Anne Elliott
6th June 2019, 09:39 PM
Hello Vernon,

i do hope you are feeling a little little stronger today, get well soon we are all missing you.
love to your Wife who must be very worried about you. Brian is very kind keeping us all up to date.
kind Regards,
Anne Elliott x

Richard Quartermaine
7th June 2019, 05:31 AM
Thank you John F. It is indeed good to be back. Margaret and I are 62 years married later this month and I am looking forward to more anniversaries. When I was 'not available' Margaret did the honours. Here is the big, fawn, hairy Briard with his friends. All the best to you too John, Richard

John F Collier
7th June 2019, 07:20 PM
Thank you John F. It is indeed good to be back. Margaret and I are 62 years married later this month and I am looking forward to more anniversaries. When I was 'not available' Margaret did the honours. Here is the big, fawn, hairy Briard with his friends. All the best to you too John, Richard

Hi Richard it's good to know you're back onboard, I still remember your post about the two showbiz luvies who made the mistake of calling you
'Big Dick' :) always found your post enjoyable and hope we see more of you. Congratulations in advance on your upcoming 62nd Anniversary
quite an achievement in any ones book wish you both all the very best, Yoshie's face reminded me of Chewbacca from Star Wars, so never forgot him :)
I'm sure Doc will be delighted to know you are back in the fold, All the best John F

Richard Quartermaine
8th June 2019, 12:28 AM
Yes John, they were two good natured middle aged blokes who were back stage operators from the Old Vic going out to Australia for the tour of Vivian Leigh and Lawrence Olivier who were flying out there. I was elevated to the dizzy heights of asst steward from the galley boy on the old Shaw Savill's SS Raranga that I had joined in Sydney to replace the one that had jumped ship. This was on the SS Moreton Bay in February/March 1948 and they were on my table. When they asked me my name they said "AH! Big Dick from Boston" and went on to explain Big Dick from Boston / [sheet music]:Print Material Description: Performing Arts Encyclopedia, Library of Congress (http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.award.rpbaasm.0802/default.html) .

Yoshi is a great pal - we've just returned from the park where he raced around like a hairy goat with a Norwegian elk hound mate.
Cheers, Richard

Des Taff Jenkins
8th June 2019, 01:28 AM
Hi Richard.
Nice to see you back on deck; or below deck. Congrats on your upcoming anniversary .
Cheers Des

Richard Quartermaine
8th June 2019, 04:12 AM
Hi Des
Thanks, that's nice. Thought about you when i see the Cooma weather. Your night temps are even lower than ours (that are lower than Warrimoo) but days here after I emerge from under my merino wool douna are 'invigorating'.
Cheers Mate, Richard

happy daze john in oz
8th June 2019, 05:36 AM
Yes Richard, it is now officially winter so I am told, that may explain why the temperature down here in Melbourne is so bloody low. But it did get to 12 yesterday and a bit warmer today.
Of course up in the hills where you are who knows how low it will go.
Congratulations on 61 years, we are 51 and counting.

A guy down here just got life for murder and will be out in 8 with good behavior??????????

Chris Allman
8th June 2019, 10:12 AM
Lets hope that Vernon will get his operation over during the bad weather and be out to enjoy the warmer weather. He will miss all the aggro of the snow and ice with a bit of luck.

Richard Quartermaine
8th June 2019, 10:47 AM
Vernon is in good hands, Chris and I for one am looking forward to seeing him when he comes back up The Mountain.
Richard

Charlie Hannah
9th June 2019, 03:45 AM
Hoping for a speedy recovery. Get back here on the double Doc. All the best for speedy recovery.

John Pruden
9th June 2019, 07:19 AM
it is very moving to reed all the good will messages for doc it shows the power of friendship even though most of us have never met each other the concern of a comrade is immense when one is going through health problems doc will be fine he is a mountain man tough as old boots and the friendship of shipmates will never be forgotten come on doc you owe it to your shipmates to go the extra mile mate fight and fight again every day is a good one? jp:p

Doc Vernon
26th June 2019, 01:19 AM
Hello to one and all
From the Administrator through the Admin Crew and down to the last Member.

This will not be a long reply but a really meaningfull and appreciative one, to ALL

I would just at this time wish to say a big big THANK YOU for all the posts replies to the various Threads on my condition.
I must say that although I know we are one and all together here,i am totally taken aback by the vast support and such kind words from everyone

I will possibly in a Week or so get back to some duties ,see how I go??

Its been a long and very hard time for me and my dear Family,but I am getting there at last
Repairing six Ateries was no mean feat but they seem to have done the best they can,giving this old Man about another 10+ Years still.. LOL

So until I get back to normal ,again all my thanks ,and one or two I must mention is Roger,Richard,Brian Probetts,Chris Allman John in Oxford and Mike .
You all are a great bunch of Lads.

This now makes me even more determined at some stage to get back to the UK at some time to try and meet up with a lot of you

Take Care and Thank You from deep down
Vernon

Keith at Tregenna
26th June 2019, 02:25 AM
I only hope that all continues to go well for you,
sent and meant from the heart. My own news
that I cannot share is not good. Touch wood I will
continue what I started but, if I at some point stop
posting tributes and such so be it, I may or may not
explain more. Generally, it has never been about me
and I keep it that way. Doc hope all as said continues
to go well for you and touch wood for me.

Hopefully, a short term reply but, just in case thought
best to explain a little lest at some point it may not be
possible.

Regards,

Keith.

Keith Tindell
26th June 2019, 06:57 AM
Good news Vernon, lovely to see you back on board, feels like we have a full crew again, kt

Tony Taylor
26th June 2019, 07:37 AM
Hello t one and all
From the Administrator through the Admin Crew and down to the lasy Member.

This will not be a long reply biy a really meaningfull and appreciative one to ALL

I would just at this time wish to say a big big THANK YOU for all the posts replies to the various Threads on my condition.
I must say that although I know we are one and all together here,i am totally taken aback by the vast support and such kind words from everyone

I will possibly in a Weel or so get back to some duties ,see how I go??

Its been a long and very hard time for me and my dear Family,but I am getting there at last
Repairing six Ateries was no mean feat but they seem to have done the best they can,giving this old Man about another 10+ Years still.. LOL

So until I get back to normal ,again all my thanks ,and one or two I must mention is Roger,Richard,Brian Probetts,Chris Allman and Mike .
You all are a great bunch of Lads.

This now makes me even more determined at some stage to get back to the UK at some time to try and meet up with a lot of you

Take Care and Thank You from deep down
Vernon

Thought you said it was going to be short Doc? you have written about ten times more than I ever do, so you must be on the mend, take it easy till you are sure, we need you back long term mate.
All the best.

vic mcclymont
26th June 2019, 08:26 AM
Hi Doc, nice to see posting, take it easy, put the feet up now and then
Vic

Ken Norton
26th June 2019, 11:31 AM
Good to see your post Doc, take it easy and wish you all the best.

John F Collier
26th June 2019, 12:01 PM
Hi Doc it's great to hear from you again after a worrying time, it speaks volumes that you are back on the keyboard and thinking
about a trip to Old Blighty, make the most of being spoilt "It won't last forever :)". Steady as she goes "Doc, one step at a time ,
all the bes, John F

Charlie Hannah
27th June 2019, 03:34 AM
Great to hear every thing went well, hope to see you back on site soon. In the mean time get back on that chipping hammer

Captain Kong
27th June 2019, 10:29 AM
Good to see you back Vernon.
Refuse to go, they cant take you, is what I always say, it works.

All the best to you and all your family.
Cheers
Brian

Roger Dyer
30th June 2019, 08:13 AM
Hi Shipmates,

Had a call from, Vernon, yesterday. Although sounding a little bit shaky, he assured me he is feeling better with each passing day, very happy to be out of hospital and back home where he is being well cared for by Irene and family. He recognises his need for plenty of rest, but still hopes to be back on deck in another week or two. He asked me to pass on his best wishes to all.

.......Roger

Captain Kong
30th June 2019, 11:29 AM
Many Thanks Roger, for that news.
Cheers
Brian

Richard Quartermaine
30th June 2019, 12:22 PM
That looks good, Roger, thanks for keeping in touch.
Richard

Doc Vernon
3rd July 2019, 09:20 AM
Just my pre open Angiogram report

Doc Vernon
8th July 2019, 02:00 AM
I must apologise for not clicking Likes and Thanks before this on all the Threads Bout me,but have not been up to it.
Once again my Sincere thanks to everyone ,I feel very humbled with such great support.
As said you are all a great bunch of lads!
I am back!! But not fully LOL
All the best to one and all.
Regards The old Crock Doc!

John Pruden
8th July 2019, 07:11 AM
give you opp time doc take it easy for a while you will be fine stay well mate? jp

Ron B Manderson
8th July 2019, 10:38 AM
Now that's a great deal better.
Great to see you back buddy
Ron The batcave

Doc Vernon
14th July 2019, 09:59 PM
Well folks i will be resuming my normal duties here as of now,not perhaps 100% but as close to that as possible,i will pace myself and when tired wiill have a rest!
Feeling so much better with me Walking a lot better and quicker (at least not snails pace LOL) any longer.

Feeling so much better with a lot more life within myself,and most all the Pain is virtually gone,just samll pangs now and then if i move the wrong way too fast!

With Chris on the sideline at the moment ,I will try and cover what I can,and hope he too can soon be back to assist me once again!

I will be resuming the Scoring and Final approval of the Weekly News Letter (Att Brian Probetts LOL) so just leave it to me as per normal Thank You.

I also urge anyone that has any good Posts re" Merchant Navy Experiences or the like to pput them forward on the Link Suggested Entries for the Circular https://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/suggested-entries-for-the-circular/ any of these i will review and certainly post on the News Letter if found to be of Interest,please do not submit Posts that rae not of relevance,they will just be deleted!
Thank you one and all much appreciated!
Cheers

Back in the Saddle Again ! The Lone Ranger Rides Again! Hi Ho away we go Silver!!!

Chris Allman
14th July 2019, 10:26 PM
Thats Great newa Vernon - to seee you back again - hope to join you soon in near future all being well - hoora for spell checker LOL Chris.

John F Collier
14th July 2019, 10:43 PM
Well done Doc it's good to know you've turned the corner and on the home straight for a full recovery :clapping2: all the best John F

Charlie Hannah
15th July 2019, 01:36 AM
Welcome Doc good to see you back on board. All the best.

Doc Vernon
28th August 2019, 10:53 PM
Now not to make too much of my past Operation just would like to tell ALL that I am now almost 100% back to normal,do most all things as before now ,only thing is watching what I lift,must stay to not too heavy things.
But I have already been on the Golf Course again hitting those little Bleedin Balls ,something that I have not done in a few Years now,so that counts for something ! Yipeee!
So that's it Lads all done and dusted as the saying goes.
Thr Road ahead is npw wide open for me once again. I have not felt so good in quite a few Years I must say.
Lastly saw my Cardiologist on the 23rd and he too was so pleased with my progress,so much so that he immediately signed me off his Books ,so no need for any other Visits !

No Medical madness here just Medical Wonder!
Cheers And Thanks again to one and All for the support ! End of now!

happy daze john in oz
29th August 2019, 06:37 AM
Vernon that sure is good news.
Now for the next bit, get Rene to retire, take her on a cruise and enjoy the world.
In the mean time just keep at the balls.

Doc Vernon
29th August 2019, 07:10 AM
John mate
Trying to get Irene to Retire is like trying to get Blood out of a stone even worse!
Seems he is not yet ready although things are improving ,as from last Week she has now cut her Hours to an Eight Day forthnight in place of a Nine day ,so coming down LOL

Would love to go on a nice Cruise with her (Although i am not keen on the nerw Ships Yes know!) But there is another thing She does not like Ships and the Sea travel so yet another Hurdle ! And you think i have an easy life! :):confused:

I will stick to playing with my little Balls ! Eeeeek! LOL