PDA

View Full Version : Fancy a trip on a cargo ship...

Brian Probetts (Site Admin)
2nd November 2018, 12:15 PM
Heaven - a trip on a cargo ship with no work or responsibility.

Have a look at this website but beware, no alcohol on these ships:

Travellers Club - Voyages en Cargo by CMA CGM - Project Cargo Weekly (http://www.projectcargo-weekly.com/2018/11/01/cma-cgm-travelers-club-france/)

cappy
2nd November 2018, 01:44 PM
Heaven - a trip on a cargo ship with no work or responsibility.

Have a look at this website but beware, no alcohol on these ships:

Travellers Club - Voyages en Cargo by CMA CGM - Project Cargo Weekly (http://www.projectcargo-weekly.com/2018/11/01/cma-cgm-travelers-club-france/)

##the idea brian is a dream ....but sadly seeing the containers towering above all ....is i think an old tramp ships man a nightmare......but that is just my view ...others may love the idea ....but not many on this seamans site i would think .....regards cappy

j.sabourn
2nd November 2018, 02:29 PM
I was ch. off. On a cargo passenger ship in 1967 for 10 months, general cargo and sometimes horses on deck. A dozen passengers running from Montreal and round the BWI. The biggest problem was the passengers. They caused more problems than the horses on deck. Their passage fees were supposedly to pay our wages, so just had to grin and bear it. To me a ship is built to carry cargo from A to B the first thing that was told at 15. For those who liked passenger ships the best of luck to them , I find it hard to look at them and to consider them as cargo. Today’s so called cruise liners always remind me of a floating Butlins holiday camp.... JS

Chris Allman
2nd November 2018, 02:52 PM
A couple of friends of mine have travelled on the ACL ships from and to Liverpool as passengers and thought it wonderful. They said it was peace and quiet, with a great crew, no crowds of vomiting passengers complaining about this and that. Personal service, good accommodation, clean and tidy and thoroughly well looked after. Very enjoyable. I must admit it attracts me rather than the suffocation of a crowded Norovirus ridden cruise ship.

Red Lead Ted
2nd November 2018, 04:30 PM
Well Brian no alcohol...…………………………. That would explain the empty deck lounger I suppose :LolLolLolLol:

Captain Kong
2nd November 2018, 04:46 PM
Just read it.
No one allowed over 77.
no Bar or alcohol.
Alongside a container berth for 6 hours, cabin surrounded by containers, not a lot of deck space , I would consider it rather boring
Officers probably all French, ee aw, ee aw.

I am off in 8 weeks on a world cruise for two and a half months, on the Amsterdam, a small cruise ship, only 850 passengers, been on it three times, same passengers there again. many old friends. superb itinerary. via paradise. Excellent meals, wine with dinner, British Master, Captain Jonathon Mercer, eX U,C.L
He spent four days in a lifeboat when the `Good Hope Castle` burned, and landed at Ascension Island. So Very Experienced,
Other Officers are a mix of British and Dutch. so they do know what they are doing.
We sail from Fort Lauderdale Fla. to Columbia, San Blas Islands, through Panama and stay in Panama City, then to ports in Ecuador, Peru, incuding a flight up tp Czco from Lima, then a train and bus up the Andes to the lost city , Machu Pichu on a 3 day trip, , then ports in Chile, across to Easter Island where the giant statues are, been last time , fascinating, then to Pitcairns Island to meet an old friend , Jacqui Christian, grt grt grt grand daughter of Fletcher, On then to Tahiti to see my many friends there, and Moorea and Bora Bora, known as the most beautiful Island in the world,
On the Nuku-alofa, Tonga, friends there, then four ports in New Zealand to see more friends there, , four ports in Australia, to see more friends and relatives there, Sydney to Darwin, to see the Jumping Crocodiles again , then Komodo to see the dragons, Bali and then get off in Singapore to see my son and family who will be on holiday there and more friends waiting , have a week in a hotel there then fly home Club Class.
That would beat any french container ship.
Cheers
Brian.

Jim Brady
2nd November 2018, 06:15 PM
After i retired my son asked me if i fancied a trip back to sea,I jumped at the idea so he arranged it for me.He came up to Liverpool and took me aboard the Cast Privilege and introduced me to the captain,full Croatian crew.I lived in the owners cabin,nice big cabin with en-suite.I had a fridge in the cabin which was stocked with soft drinks and fruit and of course beer,they would put six beers a night in if I would've drank it but the fact it was free I would not abuse it,have two a night then one night have six,I wish i could've bought it.Very good menu picked tomorrows meal today,T Bone steak,Gammon steak,Pizza and Fish,they did not have fried breakfast but i used to go into the galley and make myself a cheese omelette or whatever.Spent most of my time on the bridge I would go up there anytime during the night if i woke up.Really enjoyed my time on the bridge going into Antwerp and the run up and down the St.Lawrence was fantastic,been up and down there many time but never seen it properly as was always working inboard that was.Enjoyed two runs ashore in Antwerp one to that beautiful village not far from the container berth and the second day a colleague of my son came down to the ship and we had a good day out in Antwerp centre.Just to be up on the bridge looking out to sea as you are ploughing your way across the Atlantic Ocean is enjoyment in itself.One of my sons colleagues came down to the ship the first day in Montreal and ran me into town,had a good look around all the places we used to frequent to see how things had changed,Liverpool House,Joe Beef's the Mission CPR berth etc and of course a walk up the St Laurent Blvd to St.Catherine,a couple of beers here and there.Second day a Croatian friend of my son from the office came down to the ship and gave me a great run ashore,met some great people in this bar from many countries who were all involved in the shipping trade.So tobe honest the containers did'nt affect me in anyway,my cabin had an outside window and looking forward from the bridge looking at the tops of containers is not much different than looking out at a for'deck.All in all a most enjoyable trip which did'nt cost me a penny,I think that i was on there on the QT. tobe honest.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Ken Norton
2nd November 2018, 06:23 PM
Nice one Jim, that sounds to me like a great gift from your son, amazing :)

Lewis McColl
2nd November 2018, 10:19 PM
Just read it.
No one allowed over 77.
no Bar or alcohol.
Alongside a container berth for 6 hours, cabin surrounded by containers, not a lot of deck space , I would consider it rather boring
Officers probably all French, ee aw, ee aw.

I am off in 8 weeks on a world cruise for two and a half months, on the Amsterdam, a small cruise ship, only 850 passengers, been on it three times, same passengers there again. many old friends. superb itinerary. via paradise. Excellent meals, wine with dinner, British Master, Captain Jonathon Mercer, eX U,C.L
He spent four days in a lifeboat when the `Good Hope Castle` burned, and landed at Ascension Island. So Very Experienced,
Other Officers are a mix of British and Dutch. so they do know what they are doing.
We sail from Fort Lauderdale Fla. to Columbia, San Blas Islands, through Panama and stay in Panama City, then to ports in Ecuador, Peru, incuding a flight up tp Czco from Lima, then a train and bus up the Andes to the lost city , Machu Pichu on a 3 day trip, , then ports in Chile, across to Easter Island where the giant statues are, been last time , fascinating, then to Pitcairns Island to meet an old friend , Jacqui Christian, grt grt grt grand daughter of Fletcher, On then to Tahiti to see my many friends there, and Moorea and Bora Bora, known as the most beautiful Island in the world,
On the Nuku-alofa, Tonga, friends there, then four ports in New Zealand to see more friends there, , four ports in Australia, to see more friends and relatives there, Sydney to Darwin, to see the Jumping Crocodiles again , then Komodo to see the dragons, Bali and then get off in Singapore to see my son and family who will be on holiday there and more friends waiting , have a week in a hotel there then fly home Club Class.
That would beat any french container ship.
Cheers
Brian.

Well fingers crossed Brian that the other 848 passengers on your cruise are not all French, now that would be a cruise from hell.

Lewis McColl
2nd November 2018, 10:25 PM
I would think as ex/retired seafarers it would be interesting for those who have not been to sea for many many years to experience to changes that have taken place within our industry. Not for me though as have I have sailed on every class of ship out there during my 40+years at sea, apart from passenger ships. I just never fancied them.

j.sabourn
3rd November 2018, 12:08 AM
#10.. would be like a busmans holiday. Old habits die hard and even today. Sleep patterns are haywire.My wife shows no inclination to go on a cruise the very few times she and the kids were on board and just crossing the Mersey she would be sick, so I always get on reminding her about it. The sea as a passenger holds no big thrills for me, saw too much of it at one time, and similar to you enough is enough of a good thing, staring into space at the horizon, is no comparison to standing over the bbq with a can of ale. If all the hours were added up to the years spent staring at horizons , the horizon would be taking legal action for being stalked for so long. Cheers JS

Des Taff Jenkins
3rd November 2018, 12:43 AM
Hi Brian.
Great post, if I was twenty years younger I would have jumped at it; containers or not. Cabins looked great, just like the ones that Haine's had I don't think, though a tanker; the Baron Kilmarnock I was on had lovely cabins, built for the Swedes but taken over by the Baron Boats.
Cheers Des

happy daze john in oz
3rd November 2018, 05:34 AM
Some years back one of the members went on one of these.
Booked with a London company who specializes in such, Russian ships if I recall correctly and you could at that time change ships in any port as long as you remained on a company ship.

Lewis McColl
3rd November 2018, 02:08 PM
Bank line for many years had ships that carried 12 passengers and this was long after the other major British shipping companies had stopped 12 passenger sailings. I believe if you wanted to book passage on one you needed to book about 2 years in advance. I am sure Brian could throw some light on this as one of the popular runs was down to Tahiti and Fiji ? Also Fyfees , Geest line.27884 Must admit don't think much of the accommodation.:thumb_ship_viking:

Captain Kong
3rd November 2018, 02:19 PM
In 1954 the single fare, on a Fyffes banana boat to Kingston was £80 one way. A fortune then.

Trevor Bodiam
4th November 2018, 10:35 AM
IF i could afford it, i think this would be a very relaxing and pleasant way to experience the feel of deck under my feet again after so many years.
And to turn in at night and feel the ship moving gently or otherwise and my body shifting gently or otherwise in my bunk.
Nor would i be bored with watching the horizon or standing on the **** end watching the wake, looking for bird life or hoping to see an albatross, porpoises, dolphins or flying fish.
These are all the memories i miss very much.
Shame we can't just sign on and wash dishes, paint bulkheads or clean the engine room plates and get a free passage.[ NO cleaning scavengers though]
That would be perfect!!!!

Keith Tindell
6th November 2018, 10:21 AM
If i ever took any type of cruise it would have to be something that spent a bit of time at sea, same as you Trevor, just to be back at sea again. There was a cruise i saw just recently, that sailed from Tilbury to Canada for the trees in the fall, visiting various areas and back to Tilbury, duration of the cruise was about a month. So 2 Atlantic crossings would have given some time at sea. I guess that would have put a lot of people off, because it was quite a reasonable price. i cannot remember which ship it was. I still get a fair bit of sea time in still, backwards and forwards on the Isle of Wight ferry, lol, kt

j.sabourn
6th November 2018, 11:13 PM
#15. In 1966 the single fare on the Sunprincess was $100 US a day. The Sunprincess was a wartime built Liberty ship and bears no relation to more recent passenger vessels of the same name at a later date. They were 2 Berth cabins and if you were like Greta Garbo and wanted to be alone , you paid $200 a day , it was approx. a 6 week round trip Montreal and back to Montreal. Don’t know. What they may have charged for one of the horses stalls on deck , or in one of the chilled or frozen permanent cargo containers on deck. For those who may know the lay out of a liberty ship the old officers accomodation was built around the saloon . The masters accomodation behind the wheelhouse. The additions to this however was another housing added on the monkey island which was the passenger bar. Our Danish chief engineer used to order our own bond as had connections and we used to get at half the price of the ships prices. We had a Trinidadian crew who had been there for years as there was always a couple off during the 6 weeks we were away from Port of Spain. All the home comforts until you got some whinging passenger. Mostly women. The male ones only wanted to know where the nearest knocking shop was. Then the trouble started trying to get them back to the ship at sailing time. The sparks was the paymaster and paid everyone at the end of the month in US dollars and we lived like Lords down the BWI. Those were the days my friend ,thought they’d never end , but they did. JS

Doc Vernon
7th November 2018, 02:23 AM
Well somewhere on the site ,in the past there was a similar Thread and like i said then how i would love to do a Trip on a Cargo or Tramper Ship. Yes there are a few that one cab still get passages at reasonable rates,but the thing is (as i have looked into it) you may Book a passage say for 3 Weeks at a certain ammount a Day,however Especially on a Tramper,you could land up with quite a hefty bill,as there is no guarantee that the Ship will only call at the Ports they say,it could well go on to various other Ports as I am sure most of you old Hands will know!

Yes as said one of our Ex Members did a few such trips as I recall,as he sent me Pics on Board and also at places he went.

This kind of time thing is one issue that stops me from doing such a trip,as I could not be wat from my dear Wife for too long,and besides someone has to look after the Pug,wash the Dishes,Cook the Food, LOL:)

But to get back to the start,it would be the trip of my dreams that's for sure ,as said here in some posts one could feel the Ship under your feet,get those old good Seamans legs again,stand at the Stern and watch the Dolphins doing their amazing things,the Stars at Night just glimmering with the Seabed a mirror,and the World your Oyster! Then up to the Bow too and watch those lovely Waves ,and the Ship cutting through them like a sharp Butchers Knife at work,when he cuts through that Tender Meat!

Oh where did life go,why did we not get more out of it when we could,Yes we were happy most times I know ,but could have done so much more!
If we left all that haphazard and free for all life ,no booze etc,i am sure many here would have been a lot happier and have more memories to keep locked away,like me I lost so much time through the Bottle and forgot so many things and places,what a waste!
Give me one more chance dear Lord and I promise I will be good! LOL
Dammit!!!

Terry Sullivan
15th November 2018, 06:53 AM
Sounds great and you say it would perfect, as long as it wasn't on one of those floating shopping centres.
Terry Sullivan

happy daze john in oz
16th November 2018, 05:44 AM
Vernon, yes we could all have done more, spent more time at sea but that is how life goes sometimes.

Looking back I would have liked more time at sea, making up for it with cruises now, but times change and if you ask any guy he will tell you he is happy with his lot and there is very little he would change.

j.sabourn
18th November 2018, 02:50 AM
Someone said in one of the posts about seeing an albatross. I remember one of the old seaman’s yarns of years ago, that you would never see an albatross north of the equator. Something I think to do with their feeding habits. However I heard it and forgot about it and never really checked it. However in later years was and is today quite common to see these birds well north of the line. Any naturalists there who can throw any light on this, whether true or false original information. jWS