PDA

View Full Version : Lamport & Holt Ships Pics & Info

Scully
3rd August 2008, 03:06 PM
http://www.bluestarline.org/lamports/ships_lamport.html
A good site for pics & info for anyone interested.
Kind regards,
Tracey. R59268 HSOD

Doc Vernon
3rd August 2008, 10:04 PM
Kind regards,
Tracey. R59268 HSOD

Hello Tracy,
As always Tracy you have again put on a good site here,its another to add to my growing list. I must have about a hundred or so allready!
Thanks
Hope you are well
Vernon:D

happy daze john in oz
4th August 2008, 04:56 AM
Kind regards,
Tracey. R59268 HSOD

Sure is a :)great site Tracey, often have a browse there.

Alfred Moran
3rd October 2008, 02:25 PM
HI,
Just been browsing your list of ships (lamport line) noticed one missing that i sailed on,S.S BALFE,coal burner
but what ahappy ship.Iwas on her FEB 48-JUNE 48, DECK-DEPT OUT OF LIVERPOOL,south america,up the amazon for 2 weeks.Just recently joined this web,hope you keep in touch.
REGARDS
ALF(R402354):):)

Geoff Anderson
3rd October 2008, 06:37 PM
WELCOME ALFRED
A warm welcome to you. hope you enjoy the site, good crew. find yourself a cabin and hope to see you in the posts.
best wishes geoff. :D

happy daze john in oz
4th October 2008, 06:22 AM
Alfred a very warm welcome to this wonderful site, sit back and enjoy, just dont burn the cakes.:eek:

Harvey Williams
10th October 2008, 12:32 PM
One of the happiest periods of my short seagoing career was a 2 trip ( consecative ) on board The Rubens back in 66/67, I dont think I have ever enjoyed myself so much, and not for the usual on shore activities Brazil is famous for,( mind you Im afraid I did succumb to those pleasures, as did 99.9% of the visitors to this wonderful country there was plenty of Football as well.) But for the camaraderie of all on board, it was practically the same crowd shipping out for the 2nd voyage, only about 4-6 failed to make it for the next trip. And a great time was had by all.
Harvey

bobcat
20th November 2008, 06:25 PM
Hi Tracey

Have finally begun to find my way around this hi-tech site. (The old grey cells needed a MOT but I think we're on course now...) I was with L&H on Roscoe and Devis down to S/America in 1957 and did a translantic trip on Lassell in horrendous weather conditions to load coal in Newport News for Dublin (nearly lost my heart in that great city) and paid off in Blyth. Loved S/America....F A T A S T I C...what wonderful days they were.
best wishes
Tony Cooke

Glyn Jones
20th November 2008, 08:29 PM
As you say Tony, great company and fantastic runs, served my time with the company, first ship was LASSELL in Jan 1958, first stop,Recife, what an eye opener for a 16 yr old;)Did two trips on the DEVIS the same year, left the company in 1963, many happy times. Cheers, Glyn.:)

Doc Vernon
20th November 2008, 08:46 PM
HI,
Just been browsing your list of ships (lamport line) noticed one missing that i sailed on,S.S BALFE,coal burner
but what ahappy ship.Iwas on her FEB 48-JUNE 48, DECK-DEPT OUT OF LIVERPOOL,south america,up the amazon for 2 weeks.Just recently joined this web,hope you keep in touch.
REGARDS

Hi Alfred
May i join in with the rest here to wish you a warm welcome to this great site!
Plenty of good info,a few good laughs and i am sure you will find a lot of good Friends here too!
So sit relax and enjoy!:)
I see you have given your details,and thats great only question is was the SS Balfe your first Ship?
May i add your details to my database and Flag!
Thank you
Cheers

bobcat
20th November 2008, 10:23 PM
Hi Glyn
L&H were not too well thought of in some quarters but I liked them. I was on Lassell from 5.12.56 to 26.2.57Roscoe from 30.3.57 to 5.7.57 and Devis from 13.7.57 to 15.9.57. We carried frozen meat on Devis ,coal on Lassell and general cargo plus six passengers on Roscoe. The radio room on the Devis was in the funnel and it was mighty hot in the tropics. Still, great days, wouldn't have missed it for anything.
cheers
Tony Cooke:)

bobcat
21st November 2008, 09:27 PM
Hi Glyn

The skipper on the Lassell in 1957/58 was captain Mylchreest. He was a bit highly strung....
cheers
tony cooke

alf corbyn
22nd November 2008, 12:22 PM
HI,
REGARDS
welcome to the site alfred. i was on the washington star a blue star boat that was originally L&H. cheers. alf

Glyn Jones
23rd November 2008, 11:57 AM
Aye Aye Tony, When I was on the LASSELL, (Jan- May '58) the skipper was Cpt Robson, according to my discharge book, and the Mate was Tab Nab Roberts doing his last trip before going ashore as Asst Marine Super to Cpt Crebbin. The skipper of the DEVIS was Cpt Macneil (Black Mac) and the Mate was Ronnie Brownbill, as you say the radio room & the chartroom were both in the funnel as was the wheelhouse with the monkey island on the top at the forepart.Did 6 trips on her in all on the meat run, I think half of my apprenticeship was spent boiling meat hooks!!!! Cheers, Glyn.:)

Etherington
15th December 2008, 08:27 PM
Hi
Just found your list on LAMPORT & HOLT ship list, I have a ship not listed on it the MARCONI #137532, My dad George Etherington sailed sailed on her 28/8/1936. would you by any chance have a crew list for it? I am trying to find info on my dads brother Albert Etherington,who sailed with him on a few trips,he seems to have dropped out of site,all I know about him is that he was lost at sea sometime before 1941.
thanks

AL Etherington--------------------Canada

happy daze john in oz
16th December 2008, 05:45 AM
G'day Al, living in Canada may make it a lot easier for you as much of the info regarding British Merchant Seamen is located in Canada. Maratime History Archives,Memorial University of Newfoundland, Tel. 709-737-3123 Good hunting.

John White
7th March 2009, 09:31 AM
Hi Fred,
am a novice on this site myself, but there are some great people on this site to help you get going. Welcome aboard.

I sailed aboard the" Lalande" as AB in 1961, her last trip before scrapping, we had two fires in number 3 hold and eventually had to dump all 250 tons of linseed.That was a job and a half.Anyone out there aboard with me for that trip??Keep a good lookout mate:eek:

Patrick Weeks
30th August 2010, 08:53 PM
I remember the Devis i joined it in Middlesbourough and from memory it looked good i was an assistant in the galley with coal stoves have i got the right ship, went to the continent there was a cabin in the funnel but no scuppers in the galley.

Glyn Jones
31st August 2010, 09:29 PM
Hi Patrick, you've got the right ship. Glyn.

vinum
6th January 2011, 11:02 PM
In connection with genealogical research, I'm looking for the passengers' lists of the ship “Kepler”, which sailed in the 1880-1890 era a (regular?) mail-and passengers service between Antwerp(Belgium) and South-America.
The ship was under management of the “SA de Navigation Belge-Sud-Américaine”, founded by the “Lamport & Holt Line” to do the official mailservice for the Belgian Post Offices.
Who can help me?

Weyn.herman@gmail.com

Bob Lewis
13th February 2011, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=Harvey Williams;9343]One of the happiest periods of my short seagoing career

Hello Harvey....your spot on mate !!! the RUBENS was always a very happy ship,,i sailed on her in 1963 and did three trips,,a wonderful time with great shipmates on her,she was my last ship that i sailed on,sadly due to marital commitments i had to leave tha sea..but i still have some great memories of my life on many great ships.

Jim Brady
13th February 2011, 08:28 PM
After leaving the big ships and going down to the pool I was sent to join one of L&H's Banana Boats down the South End,Charlie Jones was the ships cook I'm sure many of you remember him.I only worked by,from there I was sent to the Ronsard to work by,Harry the Chinese cook was on there you L&H men must remember him not only for his curry but for the rest of his cooking.I was then given orders tobe at Lime Street to get the midnight train to London to join the Millais,would you believe L&H organised sleepers for us,a full catering crowd went from Liverpool to London to join The Millais.The Catering Boys first class with a sleeper,unbelievable.
A couple of names I'd like to forward for you L&h men,Alan Winter Bosun(I still see Alan)Charlie Donnely Chippie(R.I.P.) was a good mate of mine,and another good mate Jimmy Grace Purser/Chief Steward.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Stuart Henderson
15th February 2011, 07:57 PM
Did a coastal trip on the Millais in October 1951 as relief steward. Four years later did another coastal relief trip on the Vancouver Star. I liked short trips and changing companies in those days. It was much later that I was told that this ship was the same one-renamed I hadnt realised. Just checked Entry 1 of Traceys on this thread and confirmed this.
Stuart H

leigh ashton
15th February 2011, 09:10 PM
remember playing football against a Lamport ship down in Buenos Aries,i was on the Ocean Transport,this was back in the seventies,great set of lads who took there football very seriosly as we realised at half time when they were eating oranges and we were tucking in to a case of tennants,its without question who won,but still its only a game.Great memorys though.

Jim Brady
18th February 2011, 08:53 PM
I've just had a pint or two with a mate of mine who was Chippie on the Ronsard.He tellls me that the Ronsard (Built in 1957) did not have Radar,I always thought that Radar was compulsory rather than optional.He said if two ships had a collisision in fog,one had Radar and one did not it would be the fault of the ship with the Radar.He also said the Vestey Group,Blue Star,Lamport& Holt and Maggie Booths only had Radar on half of the ships for some reason.I know Lord Vestey dose'nt pay any tax inthis country but surely he could not dictatethe Law on shipping.Anybody have any ideas?
Regards.
Jim.B.

Captain Kong
18th February 2011, 09:30 PM
I was on the NZ Star, Dunedin Star, Adelaide Star and Fremantle Star in the 50s, None of them had RADAR
Being on the focsle head on look out in thick fog flying up the Channel homeward bound at 16 knots was very scary
One of the Mates told me that Lord Vestey said "I pay my Oficers to keep a good look out and a Safe Navigation Watch, not to look into a box"

The RADAR on the old Franconia in 1956 was only 6 inches in diameter with a "spiders web" over it. It was not very effective with the sea clutter and rain squalls when crossing the Western Ocean, blanking out most of the screen. It didnt pick up ice bergs until right on top of them.
The only use I could find was if there was an echo, then put the `Spiders web` on it and see if it was on a steady bearing or not, If it was then there was a chance of collision.

Trader
18th February 2011, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Brady;53665]
A couple of names

Jim, I sailed with a Jimmy Grace on the Manchester Faith in the 60's but he was an AB. He finished up on the Kiwi coast and I believe he is still there. He was a Scouse.

Alec.

Jim Brady
18th February 2011, 10:20 PM
Capt Kong,What you said about being up on the bow is exactly what my mate said,he said he had todo this as Chippie alogside somebody else.Was this practice just peculiar to the Vestey Group.
Trader wrong Jimmy Grace I'm afraid.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Captain Kong
19th February 2011, 04:30 PM
I sailed on many ships in the early 50s, especially the Tramps and London Greeks, Coasters etc who had no RADAR

It was rumoured that on some coasters in thick fog, the Boy stood on the focsle with a bucket of pebbles, he would throw one every minute, if there was a splash everything was OK, if there was a clunk then there was a ship ahead.
Dont know if that is true or not.

Shipowners were suspicious of Radar, They thought it made watch keeping easier.
Then there was the Andria Doria sinking 26/7 July 1956.
This was put down to a "RADAR Assisted Collision".
I lost my job with Cunard over this incident Tho` I deserved it.
I was a look out man on the old Franconia and in New York, the ` Stockholme` sailed past our Pier 91 outward bound.in the afternoon, a bright sunny day. We sailed abot 4 hours later. That evening off the Nantucket Shoals it was the thickest fog I have eve seen, I was on look out in the nest and I could not see anything, Not even my own ship. The fore mast door was in the crew Pig and whistle, so I thought I would just nip down the mast and have a quick pint.

In the meantime, The Andria Doria was inbound and the Stockholme was outward bound. A few hours ahead of us.
This RADAR Assisted Collision starts. The Radar, ships head up, they both see each other, a white echo, so the Andia Doria alters course to starboard to put the echo on the port bow. The Stockholme also alters course to Starboard to place the echo on her port bow. Then as time goes by on both ships, the echos are abaft the beam, so they both alter course to port to go back to their original courses. This then places the Andria Doria right across the bows of the Stockholme and the collision then occurs.
51 people were killed. The Andria Doria slowly capsizes.
The Mayday goes out, the nearest ship was the Ille de France and was on the site very quickly picking up the survivors.
We were several hours astern , but the Captain, called the Crows nest to warn me to keep a good look out even tho` visability was totally zero.
No answere from the nest.
The Master at Arms go to the Pig and find me there. and that is why I was logged and sacked off the Franconia. and Deservedly So.

That case was always used in the RADAR Schools, "RADAR ASSISTED COLLISIONS" that is also probably why many ship owners were wary of them.

RADAR as a Navigation Aid took a while to take off, since then the Radars were vastly improved as time went on and now there is no comparison to the RADARs of yesterday.

Cheers
Brian
R576086

Glyn Jones
19th February 2011, 08:46 PM
I served my time with L&H as cadet and 3rd Mate between 1958/62, when I left the company, none of the ships I served on had radar, some time later I was coasting with British & Continental, even their oldest ships had Radar,mind you, going up and down the channel it was a godsend, even though it was a bit antiquated.

Peter Axon
8th April 2011, 06:54 PM
Hi Glyn, just browsing and spotted that you visited Recife, as you say, what an eye opener ! Remember the Moulin Rouge and the Chanteclair bars, nowt like that on the dock road in Liverpool ! I was on the ill fated Debrett in 63 when the engine room went up in flames, was on day work down below when that happened, managed to escape through the tunnel and up the aft ladder, the donkeyman wasn't that lucky ! Did have to remain in Recife in a hotel for 3 weeks though which was a bit of a bother !!! Pete Axon

Chris Allman
12th May 2011, 05:32 PM
Hi Pete,

I was on the Rubens when we came alongside you in Recife to help. Then during the evening the fire got worse and we had to shift ship rather quickly. Alot of the crew were ashore but got called back by the Police.

Chris.

Bob Hay
15th January 2012, 02:20 AM
Hi Glyn. Came across this MN website while browsing through Booth Line vessels and noticed an old shipmate of mine from either the Viajero or Valiente in the late 50's. Dave Neilson who was the 3rd Mate if I recall, but can't get back onto that page where Dave had posted an entry and you were one of the people who replied. Could you refer me to it please.
I was with Lamport's and Booths for quite a few years starting off on the Rubens IN 1957 as a Junior engineer Then did a few years on the notorious 'D' boats, Devis, Delane, Defoe then went over with the Raeburn to Blue Star for one trip as the Colorado Star.
Cheers
Bob Hay.
Until I get familiar with this site you could email meHERE (http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=8789)

Email address replaced with link to preserve your security. You can never be too careful on an open site and a few members have had their email addresses hacked recently. Tony Morcom (moderator)

Bob Hay
15th January 2012, 05:40 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Brady;53898]I've just had a pint or two

Hi Jim. I sailed on Booth, Lamport and Holt and a Blue Star (ex Raeburn of L+H) none of which had radar.
I was told that Lord Vestey who owned the lot had radar removed from all his ships after the loss of the Booth flagship the Hildebrand on the River Tagus in Portugal. Blamed reliance on the radar for the loss.
Might be a sort of Urban Legend but not sure.. He was a bit of an eccentric.

I was on watch at night on the Rubens in London (1957) in the engine room and just managed to get a glimpse of this old guy in greasy coat slipping down the shaft tunnel, and thinking he was an old tramp who'd slid down for a heat went to get him out and turned out to be Your Lordship just checking on the condition of his ship.

Chris Allman
15th January 2012, 11:35 AM
The same happened to us on the Rubens ( Ex Siddons ) in Liverpool in 1964, fortunately the Mate at the time recognized him poking about looking in the mast houses and down the hatches.

Chris

Jim Brady
15th January 2012, 11:56 AM
I remember seeing the Hildebrand 1958 when we called at Lisbon on the Millais,if I remember correctly she was sitting upright.Some lads I have spoken to that were on her told me they all recieved £80.00 a man for their gear irrespective of what you lost or never lost.I believe that was the going rate in those days,was it called "Salvage Money"?
Regards.
Jim.B.

Bob Hay
17th January 2012, 10:39 PM
read earlier on here about someone on the focsle throwing pebbles ahead to locate obstacles. :D
Entering New York once in broad daylight and just for a laugh, our third Mate stood up on the monkey island holding up a broom and rotating on the spot with it to give an impression of a radar scanner.

Bob Hay
18th January 2012, 11:59 PM
The skipper on the Lassell
Hi Bobcat. Hope the good Captain isn't reading this. He skippered the Rubens in August 57 when we sailed light ship from London to Montreal to take up a six months charter. I've never seen such a stressed out man. Used to pace up and down the boat deck wringing his hands and mumbling to himself.
Got worse in one of the West Indies when we over ran the anchorage and ripped a hook off :11doh:

Mike Tiernan
7th March 2012, 06:33 AM
M.V Defoe, what a ship for scavenger fires, always kept extinguishers charged, fridge engineer Willie Spier ? used to shut himself up in the fridge flat to keep the smoke out. B.A great place in the old day's ( no mention of Falklands then, with tanks rolling down the 25 De mayo. Transferred to the R.M.S Hubert, now that was a party ship, Lisbon, Barbados, Belem and then up the Amazon to Manaus.. Great crew of U.K seamen. 1959/60.
Mike T

Dennis Larder
10th October 2018, 09:56 AM
Hi Leigh, remember the game well, ankles still saw now.How are you keeping. If you see this drop me a line. Cheers Dennis Larder