PDA

View Full Version : Esso Edinburgh scrapped in Taiwan 1976

Mark Williams
7th September 2009, 04:48 PM
Were you a member of the crew on board the Esso Edinburgh in 1976?
It was only my second ever trip and was lucky enough to have Captain Edward Harrison (the Cardiff Yank) in charge.
I was the youngest member on board when she was scrapped in Taiwan in October 1976.
I remember lots of characters from my 5 month journey which start in May at Norfolk Virginia.
My other ships included
1976 - Caledonia & Fawley
1977 - Mercia & Ulidia
1978 - Dalriada & Cambria

Lee Jackman
1st September 2010, 10:06 AM
The Cambria drove me nuts, 4 hours ashore in 5 months ahggggg:mad: food was good, crew was good mostly,
cabins good, it was just the run! 9 knots max....I was on the Edinburgh about 72, it was my first ship.

stevesherratt
1st September 2010, 12:24 PM
I was Lecky on Cambria Edinburgh Mercia on the following dates:

Mercia, Rastanura 04/10/69 to Milford Haven 05/11/69
Mercia, Milford Haven 06/11/69 to Rotterdam 05/01/70
Mercia, Rastanura 08/04/70 to Rotterdam 27/04/70
Edinburgh, Rastanura 23/07/70 to Portland USA 03/10/70
Cambria, Fawley 05/05/72 to Rastanura 10/08/72
Mercia, Fawley 28/11/72 to Marseille 05/03/73
Mercia, Mina al Ahmadi 16/04/73 to Savona 04/08/73
Mercia, Mina al Ahmadi 12/12/73 to Tenerife 26/01/74
Mercia, Bahrain 19/05/74 to Fawley 01/07/74

Regards Steve R77014 South Derbyshire

Colin Hawken
1st September 2010, 07:08 PM
Mark,was she the old Esso Edinburgh,originally George W.Mac.Knight or was she a later one? I was in the Esso Newcastle,origally Robert F.Hand.They were some of the original Anglo American Oil Company ships,before it became Esso Transportation Company.This was back in 1950. Might have to change my namr to Ancient Mariner.:):)

Captain Kong
1st September 2010, 08:47 PM
Hi Hawkeye,
this ESSO EDINBURGH was built 1963/4, one of a 47,000 ton class, including the Esso`s`CARDIFF and LINCOLN.
I sailed with Mark when I was on the ESSOs, Caledonia, Ulidia and or Esso Dalriada, I think he was a Cadet and I was Third Mate.
Cheers
Hi Mark.
Cheers, Brian.

Mark Williams
7th November 2010, 09:47 AM
The only Brian I can remember was an Engineer - had a lovely wife called Pat.
Spot on about me being a cadet.

Mark Williams
7th November 2010, 09:56 AM
Just looked at your profile, and that has brought back some memories.
Were we on all those ships together?
You loked after me in all fairness - hope you are well.

Captain Kong
7th November 2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Mark, yes we did sail together with ESSO,
Here are the ships,

Esso Ulidia, Third Mate, 19 January 1977 joined at Milford to Fawley then round the Cape to the Gulf.
Paid off in Slagen on 14 April 1977.
I remember an Engineer called Brian Wooton with his wife, they came from the Isle of Wight. Happy ship, Good Captain.

Esso Dalriada, Third Mate. Joined 2 October 1978 in Dubai and paid off 1st February 1979 after having my leg crushed on Sea Island off Rastanurah, the ship was outward bound for Singapore. The Arabs in Al Khobar hospital tried to amputate the leg, "No problem we take it off and fix you for good. " I got out of there fast with a brush as a crutch. I still have the leg.

How time flies, only seems like yesterday when we on those VLCCs.

Been retired for a while now the only sailing I do now is the world cruises every year with Cunard mostly,
Hope your keeping OK.

Cheers and all the best,
Brian.

peter norris
17th February 2011, 03:50 AM
Mark,was she the old Esso Edinburgh,originally George W.Mac.Knight or was she a later one? I was in the Esso Newcastle,origally Robert F.Hand.They were some of the original Anglo American Oil Company ships,before it became Esso Transportation Company.This was back in 1950. Might have to change my namr to Ancient Mariner.:):)

The G W Mac & Robert F Hand etc were the old Director named ships that were still sailing when i joined the Company in Feb 1948. The Company name had been changed to Esso Transportation Co. shortly before that. Did my first trip on T2 Cleveland [Cleveland Petroleum was asubidiary of ESSO] Spent 7 months Abadan to Palermo & other places in Tunisia. Spent most of my time working for ESSO . The food was damed good and a decent crew. She had just been seam strapped in Newport News. My discharge book was left in t
he U.K. when I came to the States in 1967 so where it is now is anybodys guess!I can remember signing on one of the old ships for a run job to Bremerhaven. Was on the CHristobal, Avonmouth and a heck of a lot more. Flew to N.Y. [two complete crewes for the Richmond and Rochester] and luckely iwas on the Richmond. The Rochester broke in two onthe St Lawrence on its way to Aruba. We spent 17 months on the Aruba/N.Y.[Con Edison ] run with ocasional side trips.We carried tarmacadam in the centre side tanks.
Today one just lives on memories.Ah well !!!!

John Philip Steward
8th April 2011, 10:33 AM
Hello all
Just joined this site so i thought i would spend my first post with a comment on my first ship the Esso Edinburgh. I joined in Halifax N.S in March 1973 (i think), as Deck Boy basicly, 17 years old and fresh out of Sea Training School Gravesend. In those days the new crew would meet at the Esso head office in London. Guess who got to carry the mail? First time I had been on an aircraft, first time I had slept in a hotel and the first time i had ridden in an American Limo. As most new faces to the Navy I was experiencing a lot that was 1st, my town of Rochdale was not renound for its seafaring history.

I cannot recall many people i sailed with but i can say that i was made most welcome by everyone. A well built ship with wooden panels in the officers accommodation. Spent 4.5 months and paid off in Singapore having passed through the Panama Canel on the way across. I recall telling myself that 'this was the life for me'. I rejoined the ship in 1974 as a first trip Mechanic having come off the Esso Hampshire as a Trainee. I can't remember where i joined the second time but i think it was Baltimore. I stayed with Esso untill June 1985, my last ship was the Esso Clyde i was motorman by this time due to the rapid decline of our Steam ship numbers.

Regards to all past ship mates who ever/ Where ever you are.

stevesherratt
8th April 2011, 01:54 PM
Welcome aboard John,

I remember ESSO Edinburgh was a happy ship with wooden decks and small enough to get into interesting places however I joined at Rastanura July 70 and left in Portland October 70

Have you discovered AUKE VISSERS Site? Follow this link:

Esso Edinburgh - (1963-1976) (http://www.aukevisser.nl/uk/id175.htm)

All the best

Steve R770014 South Derbyshire

huwships
21st May 2011, 01:36 AM
My late father, Capt Owen Shepheard OBE (R90774) was Edinburgh's Master in, I think, 1964.

Huw Shepheard

mike wynne
27th June 2011, 05:46 PM
Were you a member of the crew on board the Esso Edinburgh in 1976?
It was only my second ever trip and was lucky enough to have Captain Edward Harrison (the Cardiff Yank) in charge.
I was the youngest member on board when she was scrapped in Taiwan in October 1976.
I remember lots of characters from my 5 month journey which start in May at Norfolk Virginia.
My other ships included
1976 - Caledonia & Fawley
1977 - Mercia & Ulidia
1978 - Dalriada & Cambria

Mark, sailed on your first trip with you & joined Esso Edinburgh with you but had to return to Grimsby college priorto start of tank cleaning etc en-route to scrap yard. Paid off in New York with Gary Lockwood (Deck cadet). Was gutted about missing out in returning to Taiwan as had a had a grat time when my first trip (Esso Pembrokeshire) in 1975 ended up in same scrap yard. Spent 10 years sailing as an officer with Esso before leaving to go ashore.

I'm sure you'll remember me and our wonderful time we spent sharing cabins - Mike

eric whittaker
10th July 2011, 09:55 PM
hi mark.

i served on the edinburgh in 1976, i joined her fresh from gravesend on 27/4/76 in halifax nova scotia i was the galley boy i had probably the best 4 months of my life on that trip. we never seemed to be at sea for more than 5 days at a time and had plenty of time ashore in some great places.some of the more memorable ones were aruba (the victoria bar) las salina, coatzacalcos, albany, norfolk and baton rouge to mention a few.i'm sorry to say i dont remember you( it was a long time ago) i remember captain harrison and the purser was called sammy faulkner i think. also i think the chief cook was a young scottish guy called adam or alan???. i paid off the edinburgh in bayway new jersey on 24/8/76. and i went on to serve on several more of esso's finest including the cardiff, the anglia, the cambria and the scotia. happy days indeed and great memories.

John Barton
6th October 2011, 12:45 AM
Hi All, New member.
I feel a bit out of my depth here (no pun intended) I did one trip on the Esso Edinburgh, roughly March 1963. I had just finished my apprenticeship and was taken on by Esso as a Junior Engineer. Esso had just introduced a three month work pattern, where ever you were after three months, you were flown home, and replacement crew were flown out.
We left the Isle of Grain in Kent to the Gulf - Bataan in the Philippines - Gulf - Sardinia - Gulf - Fawley Southampton, three months almost to the day. Alas in all that time got ashore for just about six hours in Bataan.
The Forth I was on watch with was an Ex Esso cadet from Liverpool who's name I can't recall, indeed the only name I can recall is the Chief a chap called Richardson from Belfast (had a bit of a stammer) nice guy. When I read some of these statements and see the length of service in these posting, thirty and forty years service, my meager Three months is like a blink of an eye.
look forward to visiting B M N a lot in the future

John Barton:)

Mark Williams
17th January 2017, 06:13 PM
I've no idea Colin. I think she as built in the Early Sixties.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Eric, I've got a photograph of us going ashore (can't remember where) on a boat with the Edinburgh in the background. If you want a copy send me an email with your address - drifty1@sky.com.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the chef was Adam - went ashore in Aruba with him. Sammy was the purser. I wish I could remember more of the names.

Captain Kong
17th January 2017, 07:27 PM
Hi Mark
It is six and a half years since Colin posted,

some where in all my junk I have an Esso Mariner magazine with crew lists in,
may take a while to dig it out,
Cheers
Brian

Keith Tindell
17th January 2017, 07:50 PM
Think you will find Colin Hawken unfortunately departed to Fiddlers green some time back,kt

Ivan Cloherty
17th January 2017, 08:12 PM
Think you will find Colin Hawken unfortunately departed to Fiddlers green some time back,kt

Think it was 2014 about a year after the Liverpool Atlantic meet up

eric whittaker
11th September 2019, 11:09 AM
hi Mark

due to life getting in the way i havent visited the forum for a long time but just seeing your post brought back so many memories. you are right the chef was a scots lad called Adam and sammy was indeed the purser. we had a great four months up and down the eastern seaboard and the caribbean. aruba was a particular favourite of mine especially the victoria bar as i remember it being called. ed harrison was the captain at that time and i remember i was given the job of looking after the ships parrot which was a bloody nightmare! i do remember you and some of our trips ashore