PDA

View Full Version : inspection

John Pruden
24th April 2017, 08:31 PM
I have had the offer to look over the new triple e Maersk container ship its coming into Felixstowe in the summer she carries over 22500 containers and there is a party on board my son is a boss for Maersk and got me in on the visit.. jp

Lewis McColl
24th April 2017, 09:24 PM
Enjoy your visit , I think you will sea few changes from when you used to ship out, and to be honest not always for the better.
Ships these days are one of the loneliest places on the planet.

John Pruden
24th April 2017, 09:45 PM
I bet they are lewis I was surprised how many retired captains and chief engineers they still have on their books just in case.. jp

Lewis McColl
24th April 2017, 09:51 PM
John even at 68 I am still getting job offers lol

Des Taff Jenkins
25th April 2017, 03:53 AM
Hi John.
Go for it mate; you may regret the missed opportunity later, I'd be there with skates on. As for loneliness how about all those nights on lookout on tankers up on the forecastle; can't think of a lonelier place out in the middle of the Pacific .
Cheers Des

Lewis McColl
25th April 2017, 06:22 AM
Des , not being funny but how old are you? When I first went to sea average crew on General cargo ships was probably 35, maybe 40. You had a ships bar, recreation room. The old hands would always be on the out for a game of crib , chess etc. We used to have movies once a week , ships were watch keeping with at least 3 engine room lads down below at least 2 on watch on the bridge. Before lunch there was always someone in the bar before dinner the bar would be open..
Today ships crews can be down to as little as 12, also crews are multi national.
All certainly allofficers these days have TV's and video players in there cabins. So routine these days is Get up in the morning , breakfast , ships management team meeting , work , dinner and disappear into your cabin watch a video and go to bed. For the last 10 years on LNG carriers LPG carriers I was sailing on I could pick the phone upin my cabin and phone home, great you may think and certainly better than the days of VHF calls but there is no fun or enjoyment on ships these days, I retired in 2013 after doing 43 years(money trap) yes I was well paid but seafaring these days is a lonely old job and one as a young man I wouldnot do today certainly for a life time.

happy daze john in oz
25th April 2017, 06:31 AM
Lewis, buy your figures it was about 1970 when you went to sea.
Even by then things were changing swiftly and it is not easy to compare times from then on to times of 1945 to 1965.
Shipping was very different then, containers had yet to arrive and tankers were still a lonely ship to be on.

j.sabourn
25th April 2017, 06:41 AM
#4 You will do until your in your 70"s or until you have said No that many times that they will forget about you. I was only a couple of years older than you are now when got a call from Guam from an American wanting to know if I wanted a job on a vessel running around the Pacific Islands with building machinery ad lib for anyone needing. Could take out the wife and kitchen sink if necessary. When told him my age his answer was So What! the bloke your relieving is 83. Age only means something when appropriate and nothing if they cant get anyone else. I believe there is such a lack of trained seafarers world wide in the western world that it is very much inappropriate. As have said I have sailed with other nationals for a number of years and they don't have this problem, and now have huge fleets under Russian and Chinese flags to mention just a couple. If and when the UK if ever tries to regain what she threw away all those years ago, I doubt very much they will be able to attain today the unattainable. The odd one you get on this site looking for advice on a career at sea is few and far between compared to the thousands who took it up all those years ago. Think it was in the 70"s spent a week on an

American Air Base in Suffolk/Norfolk with American friends of the wife and was surprised in that particular instant of the apparent age of the American Troops we are used to seeing young men in our

armed services these all appeared to be in their 40"s at least. The friends we were staying with the

had been a Bank worker and only joined the US air force when he was well into his 30"s and was a navigator on the biggest transport plane I think world wide at the time. Saying that though some of the jolly jacks I see rolling around Fremantle when the US is on visit look as though they have just left Nursery School even though adorned with pretty ribbons. Cheers JWS

j.sabourn
25th April 2017, 10:12 AM
#1 Good on yer JP. If in close to a container or two give a knock on them to see if anyone answers. If there is an answer get someone to weld them up. Hope you have a pleasant day, and the pop is cold. Cheers JWS

John F Collier
25th April 2017, 10:25 AM
I have had the offer to look over the new triple e Maersk container ship its coming into Felixstowe in the summer she carries over 22500 containers and there is a party on board my son is a boss for Maersk and got me in on the visit.. jp

Have a great day John and when it's over, "Don't forget to come ashore" :rolleyes:. cheers JFC

Des Taff Jenkins
27th April 2017, 01:12 AM
Hi Lewis.
I'm 85 going on 60, when I went to sea in 49 there were no bars on ships, only later could you buy two beers a week of the Chief Stewart, recreation rooms only on the newer tankers, was never on a cargo boat that had one, I was only on one ship where they showed films that was the R.F.A Wave Baron. I was at sea for 16 years not long by some on here, the last six on the NZ coast where I had an enjoyable time, but none of their ships had bars or rec rooms either.
Cheers Des

happy daze john in oz
27th April 2017, 05:58 AM
Hi Lewis.
I'm 85 going on 60, when I went to sea in 49 there were no bars on ships, only later could you buy two beers a week of the Chief Stewart, recreation rooms only on the newer tankers, was never on a cargo boat that had one, I was only on one ship where they showed films that was the R.F.A Wave Baron. I was at sea for 16 years not long by some on here, the last six on the NZ coast where I had an enjoyable time, but none of their ships had bars or rec rooms either.
Cheers Des

Des, if I may say so you do not by the comments in some of your posting sound like an 85 year old. To me you always come across as much younger.

Lewis McColl
27th April 2017, 07:31 AM
I was lucky then, I never sailed on a ship that did not have a rec room /smoke room or bar. I sailed on many ships that were built in the 1940's,and every decade right up to 2010. On one new build Bibby's new LPG Carrier Oxfordshire 2000's build there was no bar but a rec room , well that soon changed we built our own and called it the Ten Spot. Reason for the name was everything in Korea beer wise was 10 whatever there currency is called.

Keith Tindell
27th April 2017, 07:56 AM
Ref 11, same as you Des , I was never on a ship with a bar, apart from the Castle boat with a pig and whistle. I had ships with various booze buying options, mostly 4 cans a night, mind they were the small cans, not the ones you see now, which almost equate to a pint. But they were enjoyable cans to look forward to after a day hunched on a homemade stool with a chipping hammer and scraper, sat on the stern yarning in the evening, in the days of no TVs, out of range of radios, no internet, no washing machine , apart from a bucket, we did have a drying room though. Happy happy days, kt

cappy
27th April 2017, 08:46 AM
air con was a windcatcher out your port.......wash jeans ...a heaving line over the wall ......soup dinner and pud 2 times a day .......burgoo for brekkers and a egg most days ......short of drinking water sometimes rationed ......bread like a brick ...dragging coal up for the galley range....veg greens rally gone green .....3 cans a night sometimes no cans .....getting presents of foriegn girls......m and b tablets.....anti vd kits with the painful tooth paste tube ......smuggling a bird round the ozzie coast or kiwi......wild nights ......the calaboose .......skinning out ....another day another dollar .....the channels ...paying off .......not seeing your best buddies again ......happy days sad days ...going home and having a lie in ......living like a king ......spent up .....going back .....new best mates .....last ship was a better feeder ........happy days

Des Taff Jenkins
28th April 2017, 12:59 AM
Des, if I may say so you do not by the comments in some of your posting sound like an 85 year old. To me you always come across as much younger.
Dear John.
Love at first read. XXX
Cheers des

John Pruden
28th April 2017, 07:19 AM
I feel like a young lad compared with you lot:p:cool: jp