PDA

View Full Version : R.M.S. Canberra

Bob Sendall
1st July 2009, 01:10 PM
I did the maiden voyage on the Canberra. Joined in Belfast as Bell Boy, did the sea trials then promoted to Tourist Winger. Joined 26th April 1961 until 4th September 1961. I got paid off in Southampton, ships doctor said I should have my tonsils removed, still got them now!!

Bob Sendall

Tommy the T
1st August 2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Bob,

as you did the maiden voyage on the Canberra, i thought i would let you know that i served on the Canberra in 1984 as a PRS, met my first wife onboard, (also a PRS ),
we sailed as passengers on the ships final cruise in september 1997 to say farewell to the ship that brought us together, we took our 2 kids too, my daughter had the last birthday of any passenger onboard, she was 2yrs old on 26sept 97.

i hope it was ok to post this, but thought as you did the maiden voyage & i did the last cruise felt it was interesting.
best wishes

andy

Bob Sendall
2nd August 2009, 11:18 AM
I guess that is unique, me the first and you the last,

Bob Sendall

Tommy the T
2nd August 2009, 11:24 AM
the Canberra was a great ship, i really enjoyed my time onboard her, both as crew & as a passenger.

The final cruise was a real emotional time, being onboard knowing that in a matter of weeks she would be no more.
The way i look at the Canberra is without her then i wouldn,t have my 2 fantastic kids, now 20 & 13 yrs old.

i left the Canberra in october 84 & joined the Royal Princess for its maiden voyage.

all the best
andy :)

Mike Hawkesworth
20th January 2010, 05:45 PM
[ref post #4

I was on the RP maiden voyage too - great weather!

Neil Morton
20th January 2010, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone,I made my last trip to sea on the "Canberra" 19th Dec '62, we only made it as far as the Medi as a switchboard in the engine room control system caught fire. We received orders to man emergency stations about 0200 hours.This is where all the training drills over the years clicked into place.There was no sign of panic, in fact if there had not been smoke pouring out of the "punkahs" and a queer smell we would have been grumbling about a stupid drill.
My station was at a watertight door down in the bowels of tourist accom; when the order came to shut the door a steward emerged in the nick of time with a women and two kids.We then mustered at our boat station only to be stood down at around 1300.As I was passing through the galley on my way back to the warmth of my bunk a uniform called me over to a food service lift hatch and told me to stand by with a fire hose.I stood there like a "wally" until the cooks turned too.Most of the passengers and crew were taken off in Malta.I stayed aboard and brought her home on the 19th Jan '63.:cool:
If I have related this elsewhere on this site I apologise in advance for boring you.Cheers one and all Mort.

Neil Morton
21st January 2010, 01:20 AM
I made a blue I meant to write 0300 in the above post Mort:o

White Star
20th August 2010, 09:00 PM
I have great memories of the Canberra, watching her sail off to war in the Falklands when I was a lad. I vowed to sail on her one day but never got the chance, sadly. The closest I got was seeing her when I was on holiday in Gibraltar. I have some great footage off her build at Harland & Wolff, I will dig it out and post it.

Regards, Bill

johnohammond
14th September 2010, 04:50 PM
I also sailed on the Canberra from 1979 until 1986 from Junior rating, waiter, assistant steward and then Dry stores

Ian Aldous
15th September 2010, 07:49 PM
I had three 'contacts' with the beautiful Canberra. I was 3/O in P&O's cargo ship Pinjarra in Colombo in 1961 when Canberra was outward bound on her maiden voyage having left Aden for Colombo. She had some engine trouble in the Indian Ocean and we were on 'stand by' to tow her in, if necessary. Fortunately, it wasn't.
Onboard Canberra that maiden voyage were Sir Robert & Dame Pattie Menzies plus P&O's Chairman Sir Donald Anderson. The Australian VIP's went ashore to visit the, then, Ceylon Prime Minister, leaving Sir D. at a loose end. He decided to have an inspection of the Company's Pinjarra. It was a hot and sweaty afternoon and unlike Canberra Pinjarra had no air conditioning. The inspection was brisk and afternoon tea served in the boiling hot Wardroom was rapidly disposed of. He returned to Canberra's comforts whilst we continued our cargo work.

In 1968 I was Senior Systems Analyst in P&O's new Computer Dept and was an official company passenger from Honolulu to Sydney in Canberra. It was part of a fact finding conference held in SFO, SYD and LDN and aboard Canberra towards developing a computerised booking system. Most of the other computer people had never seen a passenger ship close up. I developed a taste for Chateauneuf du Pape (on expenses) the others mostly got sea sick.

In 1996 I was in Gibraltar on holiday at The Rock Hotel. We opened the doors to our balcony and there below us was Canberra. She was still a beautiful sight. Sadly gone, but at least she sailed proudly away to the breakers rather than being passed from pillar to post like QE2 or vulgarised like the QM in Los Angeles.
Ian

Bob Sendall
12th October 2010, 06:13 PM
Thinking about the maiden voyage and realising that all the crew will now be 64 or over. I was a 17 year old and will be 67 in November, time, where has it gone?

Pete Leonard (Bruno)
7th January 2011, 07:25 PM
Hi.Bosely,
You are spot on 'where did it go' I am 78 now but I still look back at the old times at sea and try to remember names of my Board Of Trade aquaintances. I remember the names of real shipmates alright.
I came ashore in 1958 from the Arcadia where I was a BR. The Chief Steward was Max Perch and he had apparently been promised the Canberra, so he was even at that time trying to get a nucleus of a crew around him. He asked me if I would go with him, and if I had not already made my mind up about going ashore I would certainly have accepted, as he was a great guy. I just wondered if he did ever make it with his 'lads'
I would be interested to know

Bob Sendall
8th January 2011, 05:15 PM
Bruno

Cannot help you with the Chief Steward, so long ago I cannot remember hardly any names,

Bob Sendall

Keith Moody
7th February 2011, 11:31 PM
I TOO WAS ON THE MAIDEN VOYAGE OF "CANBERRA", I FIRST SAW HER IN bELFAST BEFORE HER TRIALS, AT THE TIME I WAS A STEWARD ON THE MV.GOODWIN OF CLYDE SHIPPING CO. I KNEW SHE WAS BEING BUILT THERE AND ON ONE SATURDAY EVENING I TOOK MY MOTORCYCLE (ALWAYS CARRIED IT ON BOARDTHE SHIP), AND WENT OUT TO THE FLORAL HALL (DANCEFLOOR AND LIVE BANDS) TOOK A SEAT AND WAS LISTENING TO THE MUSIC WHEN I HEARD THIS VERY DISTINTIVE VOICE IN FRONT OF ME, INSTANTLY I KNEW WHO IT WAS , SO LEANED OVER HIS SHOULDER AND POLITLY TOLD HIM TO SHUT UP, HE DIDN1T EVEN TURN AROUNDAS HE RECONISED MY VOICE TOO BUT UNFORTUNATLY I CANNOT REPEAT HIS WORDS HERE. ANY WAY IT WAS BRIAN (SHINER) NEWLANDS. WE HAD SERVRD TOGETHER ON THE R.M.S. ARCADIA FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS FROM 1956-59. HE WAS WORKING BY ON THE CANBERRA, WE ARRANGED FOR ME TO GO OVER THE NEXT DAY FOR LUNCH AND LOOK OVER HER. I THOUGHT SHE WAS THE GREATEST SHIP I HAD EVER BEEN ON, SO MY NEXT COURSE OF ACTION WAS TO GET OFF THE MV GOODWIN TAKE MY BIKE, CATCH THE FERRY OVER TO HOLLYEAD AND RIDE DOWN TO LONDON TO P & O OFFICES AND SEE IF I COULD BECOME PART OF THE CREW AND THIS I DID, I JOINED HER IN SOUTHHAMPTON AS SOON AS SHE ARRIVED THERE. WHILST THERE P & O LAID ON A SPECIAL TRAIN THAT BOUGHT A LOT OF THE FAMILIES DOWN TO LOOK OVER THE SHIP. THE FIRST VOYGE WAS THE GREATEST WITH ALL THE PORTS WE VISITED AND IN LONG BEACH THE INTERNATIONAL BEAUTY CONTEST AND PARADE WAS ON, WHICH SOME HOW MY CABIN MATE AND MYSELFE SORT OF GOT MIXED UP IN, HE WAS NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN. MR BOSLEY I REMEMBER YOU WE SERVED IN THE SAME RESTURANT.
KEITH MOODY
CANADA

Bob Sendall
11th February 2011, 12:45 PM
I cannot remember many people, it was so long ago and I was only a young lad (17 years).

Bob Sendall

Keith Moody
11th February 2011, 08:29 PM
Bruno, were you on the ACADIA when a br steward called "SANDY" diapeared of the ship on the high seas? and were you on her when she hit that storm between Las Palmas and Gibralter? when she nearly turned over.
and yes Max Pearch did join the Canberra and was on there for the maiden voyage,
keith moody.
Ruahine 1955-56
Acadia 1956-59
btc 1959-60
mv England 1960
MV goodwin 1960-61
RMS Canberra 1961

Pete Leonard (Bruno)
20th February 2011, 06:24 PM
Hi.Keith
have just picked up your posting about the Arc. I was on her from Sept.57 to October 58. I don't remember the incidents you mentioned. I am sure I would have remembered someone disappearing at sea because I was a BRS myself. The only time I remember someone doing that was on the Himalaya. Your name seems vaguely familiar, where did you work on the ship? I'm glad that Maxie Perch made it to the Canberra.
Cheers
Pete
ps.I managed to drop the Bruno nickname after I left the Ranchi in 1951, but I left it in my avatar in case there was anyone out there from that ship.

Keith Moody
25th February 2011, 11:23 PM
hi Pete. the arcadia was my secound ship and at that time in 1956 i was a bell boy later dinining room steward , other names who were on there at the same time were John (tag) Taylor, Dennis Holttum, Ginger Safry, i beleive he was BRS. Ginger Clarke. were you on her when we carried that Fijjian prince on board coming over to see the queen, anyway he got sick and a couple of us were detailed to look after him, unfortunatly we didn`t do a very good job and he died, he was kept in the freezers until Bombay then flown back to Fiji. I also looked after Lord Nuffield (Bill Morris) of Morris car fame, and Menzies PM of Australia, it`s still nice to know that some of our generation are still around. keep in touch,
keith

Pete Leonard (Bruno)
6th March 2011, 12:10 PM
Hi.Keith
I don't remember the incidents that you mentioned, but they were still talking about Bob Menzies so I joined just after that. I joined her on the last Med.cruise of that year, and took over one of the de-luxe set of sheds up on B deck. My mates on there were George Mc.Gregor, Bomber Mills,George Bowater al BR's also Charlie Harrison the butcher. I wiil try to attach some pics. The only person of any note that I remember as a passenger was Spike Milligan. He would often come down to the crew bar in the foc'sle and have a chat. He was quite a normal guy,very friendly even if he was not that funny in himself. Everyone expected him to tell jokes but as he said "I dont do jokes ,I create situations". If you remember the queens always had a fancy dress competition and a fancy hat competition each trip. He was asked to judge the hat competition which he did, and made the funniest remark when asked for his verdict he said " I have seen lots of hats tonight but haven't seen a brown one" it brought the place down.
Cheers, Pete

Pic.1 George Mc.Gregor,Joe Sullivan,Charlie Harrison,Winchy,Jim French(standing)
Pic.2 Me, Mac.& Taffy Crocker. Pic.3 Mac. & Bomber Mills
42134213[ATTACH]4214

Louis the Amigo
6th March 2011, 01:21 PM
Hi shipmates, I help bunker all the great ladys in Southampton so I have been on them all? but never sail on one passenger ship. I have a tie from the Canberra which I wear down the club sometimes, and many odds and sods from the others Q.E 2 badges' e.tc. I was working on the tall ships. race in southampton a few years ago, When the new one came from germany .The Aurora that the only one I have not been on today. A modern lovely looking ship.:)

Louis the Amigo
6th March 2011, 01:29 PM
Hi shipmates, I help bunker all the great ladys in Southampton so I have been on them all? but never sail on one passenger ship. I have a tie from the Canberra which I wear down the club sometimes, and many odds and sods from the others Q.E 2 badges' e.tc. I was working on the tall ships. race in southampton a few years ago, When the new one came from germany .The Aurora that the only one I have not been on today. A modern lovely looking ship.:)

james burke
18th February 2016, 07:55 AM
hy i was on the canberra 62 can you remember any of the other crew names im looking for friends i met i was in catering