PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Times Past.

john gill
12th April 2015, 01:15 PM
Today being Sunday (UK) reminds me of the entertainment on offer via the radio late 40's and 50's. I used to begin listening around noon to Two Way Family Favourites, (whose title today might suggest some form of incestuous and homosexual discipline). As I recall it was conducted live and connected the UK with military forces families stationed somewhere in Germany and relayed music and messages to and fro.I think that programme was followed by The Billy Cotton Band Show, a half hour of dreadful music-mostly sung by a 'crooner' named Alan Breeze. There followed a few light comedy half hour shows- the ones I recall were Ted Ray's 'Ray's a Laugh', Life With The Lyons, perhaps a Kenneth Horne spot, but one I really did not see the point of was Up The Pole with Jimmy Jewel & Ben Warris. Later on (after a slap up Sunday dinner comprising a bowl of thin gruel-we was poor) the Black and White Minstrels used to entertain with a few racist ditties. Switching stations, (which usually took some time and fine tuning), somehow locating Radio Luxemburg, finish the evening listening to the Top Twenty presented by Jack Jackson. How come I can recall the above, but can't remember what I had for breakfast? All part of growing up I suppose.
Gilly

cappy
12th April 2015, 02:19 PM
aye gilly they were the days .....playing with the cats wisker.....and getting radio hilversun .....which i think was in norway or sweden.....cappy

Frederick Lacey
12th April 2015, 02:52 PM
Hi Cappy, for info.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Netherlands_Worldwide

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilversum

cappy
12th April 2015, 02:58 PM
Hi Cappy, for info.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Netherlands_Worldwide

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilversum##yes thats it fred its playing jazz at the moment thanks cappy

john gill
12th April 2015, 02:58 PM
aye gilly they were the days .....playing with the cats wisker.....and getting radio hilversun .....which i think was in norway or sweden.....cappy

Not too sure about the playing with the 'cats whisker' Cappy, you know what those Scandi's are all about! not much to do during the 6 month long nights they have there.

cappy
12th April 2015, 03:03 PM
Not too sure about the playing with the 'cats whisker' Cappy, you know what those Scandi's are all about! not much to do during the 6 month long nights they have there.###had a great girlfriend in copenhagen name of bodil a great lass wrote to each other for quite a few years....happy memories.....cappy

John Albert Evans
12th April 2015, 04:40 PM
Please don't forget Dick Barton, Special Agent.

John

cappy
12th April 2015, 04:51 PM
Please don't forget Dick Barton, Special Agent.

Johnand snowy.....cappy and jock i think

John Albert Evans
12th April 2015, 04:56 PM
And of course. 208.

John

Braid Anderson
12th April 2015, 09:37 PM
The Navy Lark "Left hand down a bit."

happy daze john in oz
13th April 2015, 05:57 AM
The Goon Show, Much Binding in the Marsh, Life with the Lions and educating Archie. Though somehow a ventriloquist on the radio is a bit odd. Then there was Steptoe ad Son, both a little limp wristed I hear. Housewifes choice in the morning, no Cappy it was a radio show, Mrs Dales Diary and in the evening the Archers, and lunchtime Workers Play time with Mabel on the table????????????????

Braid Anderson
13th April 2015, 06:09 AM
Moving up to tele, there was Beggar Thy Neighbour, with Alf Garnet. The Politically correct mob would have it banned nowadays. Because they're too thick to understand the real message.

john gill
13th April 2015, 06:17 AM
A few more memories there John. I reckon Mabel on The Table may have been the inspiration for Forty Shades of Grey. As to Steptoe, I met Wilfred Brambell on a Cunard cruise and recall some of us going ashore in the tender in Hamilton Bermuda. Got really lathered in the Forty Thieves Bar, and you're correct- never seen a wrist so limp. However, he was paying, so carry on limping!.
Gilly

cappy
13th April 2015, 07:50 AM
The Goon Show, Much Binding in the Marsh, Life with the Lions and educating Archie. Though somehow a ventriloquist on the radio is a bit odd. Then there was Steptoe ad Son, both a little limp wristed I hear. Housewifes choice in the morning, no Cappy it was a radio show, Mrs Dales Diary and in the evening the Archers, and lunchtime Workers Play time with Mabel on the table????????????????####thinking about housewives choice ...is jim brady away havnt heard from him since i came back.....cappy

John Albert Evans
13th April 2015, 08:22 AM
The Goon Show, Much Binding in the Marsh, Life with the Lions and educating Archie. Though somehow a ventriloquist on the radio is a bit odd. Then there was Steptoe ad Son, both a little limp wristed I hear. Housewifes choice in the morning, no Cappy it was a radio show, Mrs Dales Diary and in the evening the Archers, and lunchtime Workers Play time with Mabel on the table????????????????

Mabel on the table later morphed into Ena Sharples on Coronation Street:)

John

john gill
13th April 2015, 01:03 PM
####thinking about housewives choice ...is jim brady away havnt heard from him since i came back.....cappy

Probably gone ashore for a loaf and got lost.

cappy
13th April 2015, 01:13 PM
Probably gone ashore for a loaf and got lost.####PROBABLY LOAFING ABOUT THEN .....cappy

happy daze john in oz
14th April 2015, 06:27 AM
Might have bought the bread and got buttered on the way home.

John Arton
14th April 2015, 10:20 AM
Regretfully I never got a chance to listen into all those great radio shows of the 50's as just I was getting od enough to appreciate them on the Bush radio my mother had in the kitchen and what she used to listen to the Archers etc. on, in a fit of pique my eldest sister picked it up and threw it at me one day after I had spent the morning winding her up over the amount of time she spent in the bathroom attempting to make herself pretty, or so I said.
When Dad came home from sea shortly after he went out and got our first t.v. in order that he could watch the cup final on it.
rgds
JA