PDA

View Full Version : silver Line Info

Colin Meiklejohn
4th December 2014, 04:07 PM
To anyone that is interested in Silver line history, I have an amazing'ly historical book written by the last owner of the company, (My cousin) Martin Barraclough.
It is called Looking for the Silver Lining....
A British family's shipowning centrury 1875-1975. The book was published in 2008. and contains photographs and lists and histories of all the ships; The troubles and losses of the ships in the 1st and 2nd world wars and
various anecdotal stories from a few persons who sailed with them. If anyone is interested in particular or general information about this company please send me a specific enquiry.
Cheers,
and Happy Christmas to all members
Colin Meiklejohn

cappy
4th December 2014, 04:17 PM
To anyone that is interested in Silver line history, I have an amazing'ly historical book written by the last owner of the company, (My cousin) Martin Barraclough.
It is called Looking for the Silver Lining....
A British family's shipowning centrury 1875-1975. The book was published in 2008. and contains photographs and lists and histories of all the ships; The troubles and losses of the ships in the 1st and 2nd world wars and
various anecdotal stories from a few persons who sailed with them. If anyone is interested in particular or general information about this company please send me a specific enquiry.
Cheers,
and Happy Christmas to all members
Colin Meiklejohn####one of the best ships forfood and accom was the aldersgate ;;i think it was her 2nd tripto 7 islands in dec 60......ilived with my gran at the time but after such a short trip i had not enough money to go home the old man was a geordie like myself and althoogh the ship closed dow till jan2nd i think the old man sighned me on and paid me from the xmas eve we arrived in newport......the ship had no heating ......my xmas dinner was 2 turkey sandwiches on a dock side bar........but i cherished the sighning on in my discharge book dec 25......there wasnt a lot of them about........i am sure she was silver line....regards cappy

ABiegala
4th August 2021, 08:46 AM
I can attest to the excellence of "Looking for a Silver Lining"

I am ex silver line and bought this book about ten years ago. It contains a wealth of detail, history of the company, its ships its people, including one or two that I sailed with!

A great collection of photographs and ships plans, and a very interesting insight into the industry as seen from the owner's point of view, something us seafarers are usually not really aware of.

Highly recommended.