PDA

View Full Version : QUEEN MARY 2 SICKNESS

Tony Wilding
28th December 2012, 02:55 PM
Just seen on AOL News at 11PM Cebu time, 3 PM UK, the Queen Mary 2 has between two and three hundred cases of the Vomiting Bug on board. , seems to be the scourge of Cruise Liners,

Tony Morcom
28th December 2012, 03:10 PM
One of the problems with any large group of people in a confined area is that inevitably any type of bug will soon spread just like in schools and universities. It only takes one person to start the chain reaction which could be a crew member or a passenger.

vic mcclymont
28th December 2012, 03:43 PM
According to the Government medics over a 1m people in the UK are suffering from the virus.

Captain Kong
28th December 2012, 05:26 PM
Some people do have disgusting personal habits, like sneezing everywhere and not covered up same as coughing, just do it.
I have seen a Waiter have a crap and walk out to serve on tables and never washed his hands, I reported him to the Matre D and he was removed from the Saloon and so on.
Also Passengers and crew go ashore and eat and drink in places that have no hygene standards and bring on board the Germs, so it is difficult to avoid sometimes.
Over one million people in UK have it.
Have a nice day
Brian.

Calvin Kent
28th December 2012, 05:32 PM
"crew go ashore and eat and drink in places that have no hygiene standards"

Not sure what you're trying to say here Brian:rolleyes:

Regards
Calvin

Captain Kong
28th December 2012, 05:52 PM
Hi Calvin, the line says "passengers and crew go ashore"..............
Simple, I have seen many passengers and crew members ashore in various ports around the planet going in and out of cafes, restaurants and bars or all types.
I do not understand the question.
Cheers
Brian.

Calvin Kent
28th December 2012, 06:10 PM
Sorry Brian, it was a tongue in cheek comment on days of yore. I think the last thing on most of our minds on a run ashore was a current hygiene certificate, especially after a few sherbets. In fact, in most of the bars I remember it would have been fighting talk to inquire of same of the proprietor.

Regards
Calvin

Neville Roberts
28th December 2012, 07:25 PM
I remember a bar in Veracruz where you took a pee on the wall across from the bar.it was set up like a toilet slab and ran down a gutter . how come we never got sick ,in some of the places that we hung out in . and Brian what were you doing watching a waiter taking a crap .you old perv.:p

John Pruden
28th December 2012, 07:38 PM
i was only bragging the other week that everyone around had the norovirus bar me yeah it got me and its bad. the world is a small place now tuberculosis is back in this country down south abroad people take ice in their drinks that's a definite no no. but as young men and all the jabs we had we thought we were indestructible.jp

Ivan Cloherty
28th December 2012, 08:22 PM
I remember a bar in Veracruz where you took a pee on the wall across from the bar.it was set up like a toilet slab and ran down a gutter . :p

Your right there Neville, some of the places we went into and let's be honest and slept in would turn your stomach now, and yet we came through it without incurring any bugs of any kind (a few may have caught crabs, but that's a different story:rolleyes:) I think the problem is now that most everything is so sanitized that people are much more susceptible to the not so sanitized, where-as in the old days our immune systems coped so much better because of what we experienced willingly (and sometimes unwillingly) and in our innocence/ignorance we sometimes, if not always, looked forward to when we went ashore in these exotic and not so exotic places to pursue the pleasures of the flesh.:p

I'll have to stop now as I cannot see the screen for tears:(

Neville Roberts
28th December 2012, 09:01 PM
Your right Ivan , though I think it may have been all the shots we got before we went to various places . yellow fever, black water fever . malaria, and many more .vacinations ,and of course the vd kits helped somewhat .:rolleyes:

John Pruden
28th December 2012, 09:34 PM
yes Nevil TB+VD two butes and a vertical dangler:pjp

Neville Roberts
29th December 2012, 02:31 PM
I think a lot of sickness is due to to many people in one place and recycled air , a lot of times you will feel sick after a long flight cooped up with people from all over .I wonder what it would be like too have an outbreak of the black plague that wiped out millions . man tends to think that he is the ruler on this earth with all the gains in technology . maybe one day the earth will just shake us all off like so many flea,s ,and start all over.:eek:

Kevin Mercer
29th December 2012, 04:17 PM
Hi Neville,
Your last remark hit the spot ! Man is indeed on borrowed time and the least likely to survive a major pandemic. I remember Ray Mears on a discussion panel talking about saving the planet. He said " we can forget saving the planet....she will look after herself. We need to start thinking about saving mankind !
Cheers
Kevin

George
30th December 2012, 11:53 PM
I think Ivan #10 is about right we are fare to clean in to-days world. Sanatized cleaning materials etc, we now have at least one bath or shower a day, and do our kids get to play on the old rubbish tips or the like. All the unhealthy things we once did are now all but gone. and now our immune systems are being lowered becouse of it, and as someone else said many virouses that were once erradicated, are now being re-intreduced via imigration.
George
in Southampton

Tony Wilding
31st December 2012, 12:30 AM
Emerald Princess of Princess Cruises has over 200 cases on board now.

j.sabourn
31st December 2012, 07:10 AM
As regards food for children nowadays. My younger relations offspring are to my mind mamby pambies. I used to love and still do bread and dripping with plenty of salt. The parents of the kids nowadays would have a heart attack if they thought their kids were eating such. Drinking water on ships in our days was not too good either, however I believe the body builds up a resistance over time, which some of the younger generation are never going to get. Will grow up to be weedies. Cheers John Sabourn

Ivan Cloherty
31st December 2012, 10:00 AM
As regards food for children nowadays. My younger relations offspring are to my mind mamby pambies. I used to love and still do bread and dripping with plenty of salt. The parents of the kids nowadays would have a heart attack if they thought their kids were eating such. Drinking water on ships in our days was not too good either, however I believe the body builds up a resistance over time, which some of the younger generation are never going to get. Will grow up to be weedies. Cheers John Sabourn

Remember cement washing many FW Drinking Tanks on ships, perhaps the cement content gave a ferrocrete lining to our stomachs :)

Jim Brady
31st December 2012, 10:26 AM
As kids we used to swim in the Leeds/Liverpool canal.There were different factories pumping all kinds of toxins into it,a number of tanneries and a lead works to name a few,plus a few dead dogs thrown in for good measure.One part of it a factory must've used the canal for its cooling system hot water was pumped into the canal so this part was known to the kids as the "scaldie" they could even swim in that part in the winter because the water was warm.What was the saying years ago,grandmothers used to say "You will never be healthy until you have eaten a bucket of shlt" something on those lines and thats how we built up our own antibiotics.
Regards,
Jim.B.

Ivan Cloherty
31st December 2012, 11:53 AM
As kids we used to swim in the Leeds/Liverpool canal.There were different factories pumping all kinds of toxins into it,a number of tanneries and a lead works to name a few,plus a few dead dogs thrown in for good measure.One part of it a factory must've used the canal for its cooling system hot water was pumped into the canal so this part was known to the kids as the "scaldie" they could even swim in that part in the winter because the water was warm.What was the saying years ago,grandmothers used to say "You will never be healthy until you have eaten a bucket of shlt" something on those lines and thats how we built up our own antibiotics.
Regards,
Jim.B.

Sailed with a few cooks who followed that maxim :rolleyes: