PDA

View Full Version : Ben Line Information

Callum Miller
15th October 2012, 08:11 PM
As far as I've been told my dad was a captain for the Ben Lines and I used to have a log book to show which ships he had sailed, which unfortunetely went astray.

His name was George Wilson Miller, Based either from Dundee in Scotland or North East as my family moved to Middlesbrough, he passed away in May 1966 and was wanting to know is there anywhere at all I can access records of what ships he sailed or more about his career?

Any information, links or leads would be gratefully recieved, I did start looking into this a few years back and did find a site with information but due to a change in my circumstances was unable to follow anything up and lost the details.

Regards Callum Miller

Doc Vernon
15th October 2012, 10:08 PM
Hi Callum
We would need a bit more info to try and assist you here!
Do you have his DOB ,and Place of Birth,as there are many Miller's listed in the N/A.
There is one( GW Miller) that poped up Born in North Shields Born 1913 ?? Could this be him!
And another(GW Miller) Born in Bo'ness Scotland Born 1918
Anyway if we get more info then can again look at this request!
Cheers

And Welcome to the site,hope you find some interesting things here!
Cheers

DeepSea
16th October 2012, 02:16 PM
Was he born in Dundee 3/12/1925?

Callum Miller
16th October 2012, 07:42 PM
I have very limited information I'm afraid, getting info out of my family is like getting blood out of a stone, or more to the point not worth trying?

As much as I know he was based out of Dundee on the Ben Lines, possibly born either the "Bo'ness Scotland Born 1918" or "Dundee 3/12/1925" options you have both given.

Not sure where you have got the info from but other details I know:

My Mam was Grace Burns Cameron Beverage - Born May 2nd 1927 / They married in Dundee July 9th 1945 / Mam passed away May 30th 1992

He had a brother David Lawson Miller married to Sheila Miller who I believe lived their lives out in Dundee.

Not sure if any of the above info is relevant but may be useful to tie to a record somewhere.

They lived in Macalpine Road in Scotland before moving down to the North East of England

I have emailed the Ben Lines to see if I can get any further information but they appear to be only based in Asia now (Please correct me if I'm wrong) so getting any information
from years ago may very limited.

Any help or advice or contacts for me to persue would be greatly appriciated, regards Callum Miller

Doc Vernon
16th October 2012, 09:35 PM
No Year Surname (M) Forename(M) Surname(F) Forename(F) District/Country Folio/Data

1396 1948 Miller George Wilson Beveridge Grace Burns C St Clement 282/020396
Dundee City
Angus

Unfortunately there is no Image for this entry!
You can order it though from the Scottish Records!
So the marriage was actually 1948 not 1945!??

Cheers

MILLER
DAVID LAWSON
KYDD
SHEILA ELIZABET
BROUGHTY FERRY
DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS
282/05 0037

Above for his Brother

Date

Description

Type

Quantity

Price Each

Total

01/01/1948

MILLER, GEORGE WILSON - BEVERIDGE, GRACE BURNS C (Statutory Marriages 282/02 0396)

StatutoryRecordMarriage

Callum Miller
17th October 2012, 06:16 PM
Thats lot of information there, and much appriciated, my eldest sister says she may have the marriage certificate somewhere but going from what we do know that he died
in 1966 and was 40 yrs old we would have to assume the Dob was about 1925 / 1926

Many thanks for that information Doc and very useful as I have now found out a bit more about his brother and his family who still live in Dundee so a few more branches on
the family tree. I am trying to find out what ships he served on and if anyone knew him or served with him, my dad died a couple of months before I was born so never met
him and only know what people have told me, all family photographs were lost and the only thing I do have is about 8 pages from their wedding album, some pictures are being restored.

I did have a pass book for the Ben Lines which is the only thing I had that belonged to him but again, this went missing? I say missing as other members of family were involved,
and we'll leave it at that. From what I remember I'm sure he served on the Benavon, Benlomond and Bennevis but again this is just me trying to remember what I can from his
passbook, I also believed he had something to do with scaled down model ships as I sure mam said he used to build them and some may have been sent to museums or something,
again not 100% but as I get more into all this I hope to find out as much as I can, I also have some family tree records coming down from Scotland so more to go through.

I'm new to all this geneology stuff and been searching some dead ends or incorrect information but the info in a couple of posts above have put me right back on track again
so many thanks guys for your help with this.

Doc Vernon
17th October 2012, 09:35 PM
Hello Callum
This may be a wee bit off track,but seeing as he was most probably Born in 1925 ,there is this entry as well at the NA,and as Seaham in Durham is nearer to Scotland as well, i was just wondering if perhaps this may be him?
As saisd just another avenue!
Cheers

Item reference BT 372/1100/13R409957 MILLER G W 23/01/1925 SEAHAM

Callum Miller
18th October 2012, 07:55 PM
While looking through some paperwork earlier, I found a rather tatty note from my brother which was emailed to my sister a few years back;

Mam and Dads marriage 09/07/1945 - Central Hall 97 seagate Dundee Cert no Q34562
Mams death 30/05/1992 No IAD799551
Dads death 16/05/1966 No ID450515

Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship Signed 01/06/1953
Seamans discharge R271514
Semans Identity B513048
Nat ins No HY:16:77

Not sure what all the numbers mean or if I can get copies from somewhere but a bit more information to go on, what does the "compentency as a Master" mean does this mean
he just worked on ships or had a special role on them, and with the identity numbers can I access any other information from somewhere?

Most of all I am interested in finding what ships he was on and where they sailed, I clearly remember my mother telling me on more than one occasion that my dad brought the first
ship into port after the war with the first bananas onthem, funny in 2012 but we are still seeing new things in the markets now so fresh fruit after the war was probably a luxury, makes you
think just how much we take for granted nowadays doesn't it.

Thanks in advance, again!

Keith at Tregenna
18th October 2012, 08:15 PM
What ships:

I am certain the best advise and info will follow:

Semans Identity B513048

You will recieve much from this alone.

K.

Doc Vernon
18th October 2012, 08:55 PM
Hi Callum
This then would be his Seamans Pouch,which would give you a start at least,it would contain a bit of extra info,but not all that you want,you will need to look at his CRS10 (or is it CR10 ) HUGH HELP PLEASE! to get a full list of the Ships he sailed on! http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=3&CATID=1821&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=BT+350
Then once you have that info from his CRS10 (CR10 ??),you can then go a bit futher and Email the University in Newfoundland Canada for his Crew Lists as well ,if you want to go that far!
So to start with i would apply for his Seamans Cert! Online!
Just floow the prompts from this Link!
Cheers

Detecting your browser settings (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=7&CATID=-3345831&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=R271514)

Item reference BT 372/527/56

R271514 MILLER S W 03/12/1925 DUNDEE

The Seamans ID Number is that given on ones Seamans ID Card,that has a Photo of the Seaman etc,used to be used as a Passport in our days!

As from your first post i was looking at a GW Miller,but see that it is in fact SW Miller!????

Callum Miller
18th October 2012, 08:56 PM
Aimed at "Deepsea" Quote: Was he born in Dundee 3/12/1925?

This was indeed his date of birth as rec some info from relatives in Scotland this evening, can I ask how and where you got
that from and also noticed you are in Stockton on Tees Too, is this where you are from or where you are now as I live in Roseworth.
More curious as to how you came about the date as I've struggled.

Also Aimed at "Keith from Tregenna" what did you mean by "You will recieve much from this alone"

Semans Identity B513048

Is this relevant information and how can I find out more and from where, I just appear to be hitting wall upon wall, in fact I've pieced together more in the past
week posting on here and with help from you guys pointing me in the right direction.

Is the Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship important or relevant somehow?

Thanks in advance

Callum Miller
18th October 2012, 09:11 PM
Blimey, what a lot to go on lol.
I followed the link and the following came up:

Context
BT Records of the Board of Trade and of successor and related bodies
Division within BT Records of the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen and successor

BT 372 Registry of Shipping and Seamen: Central Register of Seamen: Seamen's Records ('Pouches')

BT 372/527 Discharge A numbers R271449 - R271627

Top of page
Record Summary
Scope and content

R271514 MILLER S W 03/12/1925 DUNDEE

Covering dates
1913-1972

Held by
The National Archives, Kew
Former reference (Department)

R271514

Top of page

Access
Restrictions on use
To access this record please contact the Enquiry Service (via our contact webpage or staff in the Reading Room)

Access conditions
Open on Transfer

Record opening date

20 Feb 2001

Does the above mean I have to order a couple of documents and do I need to register with them or just call them? Can't believe the information and help you have
all supplied, it's brilliant.

Would this CRS10 be on the information on the documents above?

Cannot believe how much help you have been within a few days, can't thank you enough really!

Doc Vernon
18th October 2012, 09:33 PM
Hi Callum
As said just follow the Link,or if it says to contact them then do that either online (a bit costly) for CRS10,or if you can get to Kew that would be better,but first make appointment!
Detecting your browser settings (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=8126005&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=BT382%2F2701)

The Ships that your Dad served on will more than likely be in that CRS1O (CR10) Documentation!
I am a bit confused on the CRS10 and the CR10 and hoping that Hugh will explain,as i have forgotten a bit here haha!
Good Luck!
Cheers

Follow this Link Callum

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displayyour-options.asp?requestthis=BT+382%2F2701&linkback=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enationalarchives%2Egov %2Euk%2Fcatalogue%2FDisplayCatalogueDetails%2Easp% 3FCATID%3D8126005%26CATLN%3D6%26FullDetails%3DTrue&CATID=8126005&CATLN=6&FullDetails=True&UserType=0

Your Question

Is the Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship important or relevant somehow?

This info would just be for your own Records Callum,not really relavent to your search though,but nice to know all the same!
Cheers

Keith at Tregenna
18th October 2012, 09:39 PM
Sorry just the wrong night and it is late, will help more in the morning, this global site may provide all before I wake ? One thing we always ask for is for all available help and info, you hopefully have provided much of what is needed for much help and assistance: will follow up in the morning. K.

Also Aimed at "Keith from Tregenna" what did you mean by "You will recieve much from this alone"

Semans Identity B513048

Thanks in advance

Doc Vernon
18th October 2012, 09:53 PM
Hi Callum
Keith just meant that with the info you gave there,you would get a lot more help ,from all on site!
Cheers

Callum Miller
18th October 2012, 09:58 PM
Sorry just read your post again and noticed the line:

As from your first post i was looking at a GW Miller,but see that it is in fact SW Miller!????

You were correct his name was George Wilson Miller, so not sure now if the information we
recieved via email was correct, it definately states:

seamans discharge R271514
seamans identity B513048

So this information could be wrong, or would the national archives hold multiple records under that number?

P.S
And you are all being a great help, wish I'd found you all sooner!

Keith at Tregenna
18th October 2012, 10:14 PM
Further thought re: Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship Signed 01/06/1953

Guess he may have captained ?

K.

Doc Vernon
18th October 2012, 10:24 PM
There have been a lot of errors over the Years Callum,at the NA ,so it is quite possible that the Initials have changed over time,as there were so many Thousands it is possible!
But then again there is that other entry for GW Miller??
A wee bit confusing to say the least!
But the DOB and place of Bith is correct on the SW MILLER??
CRICKY IT IS GETTING TO BE A PUZZLE!

Tony Morcom
18th October 2012, 10:57 PM
Bearing in mind that the information was passed on by relatives who may or may not have understood the terminology I would suggest that "Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship Signed 01/06/1953" refers to the date that he actually received the qualification of Master Foreign Going. This basically means that he had achieved that certification after passing the relevant exams and achieving the relevant sea time. "Foreign Going" just distinguishes the difference between sailing world wide on ships as against being confined to coasters. Having the qualification does not necessarily mean he ever sailed as Master.

Callum Miller
19th October 2012, 07:16 AM
Hi Tony, this is one of the things I'm trying to find out, we appear to have all the family history from me mams side but hardly anything from my dads.

The leads I have from being on this site alone for the past week is teaching me more and more and giving me areas to look into.
It is actually what he did that I'm wanting to know, I beleive he was a caption as thats what I've been informed by other members but actually wanting
to follow up leads as Vernon suggested and ringing the arhives later today, and Vernon also suggested to then find out more.

I've had access to census records and the mishap with initials I could understand as 100 years ago they would never have realsied that all that information
would have been digitalised as the technology wasn't there and the handwriting was all posh lol.

A G could have been seen as an S as I've made that mistake myself, I'm aware the number for my dad were correct so will follow that lead today and see what happens,
if its a wrong lead, we shall try another, its now getting all the terminology in my head that you guys use, and what it all means, but really being pushed forward by
the help I'm getting through here, it is great - Lets see what today brings if anything guys!

Ivan Cloherty
19th October 2012, 08:06 AM
Callum

Disregard the initials as far as you can and concentrate on the other information. Most information in former days was hand written and any records now will have been transcribed from that handwritten information where-in the scribe may have had peculiaralities in his forming intials. I know my initials often appeared as I.S. and I.F. when in fact they are I.J. only my Discharge book number R611450 enable me to draw Pool pay and my father initials I.I. had the same trouble with his initials and only his Discharge Book R69069 allowed him to draw Pool pay, so go by the initials in his Discharge Book, as they will probably be the most accurate because your name(s) are written in full there-in.

Just a thought, Rgds Ivan

Good luck in your endeavours

Callum Miller
19th October 2012, 08:31 AM
Been onto these people today and the lady said a similar thing about the initials being copied incorrectly, but
in having what we beleive to be the correct discharge and identity numbers abd his national ins number she
thinks they can tie it to the correct reference for him which will to recover the BT372 (pouch) records and also
the BT382 (ships record) and from there Vernon mentioned about going further which I may do.
The average cost for this is about 60 to 120 which at the moment may need to be put on hold or its a weekend
away down to Surrey to see them. they said they are unable to email the details and only able to do hard copies or
digital copies, or by prior arrangement to vist them.

Just not being 100% sure what information if any these BT records hold, has anyone ever done this to give me an idea
of the information held, don't really want to be spending 100 to get back the information I already have here like
nat ins numbers etc, she did also say there is no guarantee that it will hold records of
which ships he has served on as it was also during the war period and some information could be blacked out?

She did also offer looking at other searchers out there who do this for a living who would be cheaper than them or knowing
someone near to them would be able to visit them and get photocopies etc free of charge as long as they have ID and again
by prior arrangement, so needing to find out now what possible records they hold and/or trying to get copies of birth/death certs
to prove we are related.

This is a mine field isn't it, but unbelievably interesting, even speaking with you guys on here to find out what the terminology all
means, may be back to the drawing board and getting a plan together me thinks....

DeepSea
19th October 2012, 10:07 AM
Hello Callum,

Yes I live in Stockton in Hartburn. My ex brother-in-law still lives in Roseworth, called Lenny Swainston, big family from that area.

Contents from an individual Seaman's Pouch can be applied for and sent direct to you for about 6.00 depending on the content. The pouches are hit and miss with, but usually contain the individuals photo taken from their ID card.

There is also a copy of his WWII medal card at the link below, which can be downloaded direct to your computer for 3.36

Medal listing of        ... | The National Archives (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D4316852)

Also the link Vernon gave you for a copy od his CRS10 service file does not cover the war years. The correct file for this is held in BT 382/1224 covering the surnames "Miller Francis to Miller Jeremiah" These files are held in block by surname and would require a visit to Kew, otherwise they would be quite expensive to order.

Detecting your browser settings (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=8124529&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=bt382%2F1224)

DeepSea
19th October 2012, 10:12 AM
If you do decide to download his medal file, this is how to interpret the contents.

The medals awarded are indicated by:

1939: 1939-1945 Star
AT: Atlantic Star
AF: Africa Star
PA: Pacific Star
BU: Burma Star
FR: France and Germany Star
WM: War Medal
IT: Italy Star
CL: Clasp
OLE: Oak Leaf

A cross () drawn through a symbol indicates the issue of that medal; a circle (O) drawn through a symbol indicates that only the ribbon for that medal has been issued. If a cross and a circle have been used then both a medal and a ribbon have been issued. An R sometimes appears and signifies that an application for that medal was reviewed and refused.

DeepSea
19th October 2012, 10:30 AM
I am a bit confused on the CRS10 and the CR10 and hoping that Hugh will explain,as i have forgotten

CRS10 refers to the Fifth Register of a seamans service covering 1941-1972, which is what Callum needs to look into. CR10 was one of three individual indexes CR1, CR2 & CR10, which combined to index the Fourth Register covering 1918-1940. All those who served after 1940 had their records transferred to the Fifth Register.

DeepSea
19th October 2012, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=Callum Miller;105742]Just not being 100% sure what information if any these BT records hold, has anyone ever done this to give me an idea of the information held, don't really want to be spending 100 to get back the information I already have here like nat ins numbers etc, she did also say there is no guarantee that it will hold records of which ships he has served on as it was also during the war period and some information could be blacked out?

She did also offer looking at other searchers out there who do this for a living who would be cheaper than them or knowing someone near to them would be able to visit them and get photocopies etc free of charge as long as they have ID and again by prior arrangement, so needing to find out now what possible records they hold and/or trying to get copies of birth/death certs to prove we are related.QUOTE]

BT382 will detail the following information: Name of seaman, Date and place of birth, Discharge (Seaman’s) book number, Rank, Details of the ships on which he served. These include: Name of ship and official number, date of engagement (Joining ship), Date of discharge (Leaving ship), whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book. These files are expensive, not due to the content, but due to the fact they are held in block and the main cost is due to the actual search for the individual file.

You do not need to prove you are related to access these files. The only part they usually block out is the individuals Nat. In. No. in his Seaman's pouch from BT372 if ordering using the archives digital service. As mentioned previous this should cost no more than 6.00 depending on the actual content of the pouch.

Callum Miller
19th October 2012, 04:32 PM
Many thanks for your help, I've just got in from work and downloaded the file.

R271514 Miller George Wilson (aka dad)

has an x in a circle for the following
1939 / AT / AF / IT / CL

and an x without a circle for WM

Does this mean then he has the following medals somewhere?

The 1939-1945 Star, the Atlantic Star, the Africa Star, the War Medal 1939-1945 and the Italy Star?

So now copying all the posts here to decifer later as not sure what it all means but
getting there, I've printed out this document I've just downloaded with your description

As an added bonus, I got a call from my sister earlier to say she had found a telegram sent to dad when she was born
dated 23 Feb 1949 sent to the SS Benrinnes c/o Ben Line
So thats definately one ship he was one.

Doc Vernon
19th October 2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the update on the CRS10 and CR10 Files Billy!
Much Appreciated!
Cheers

PS I always seem to get confused on the two??
Will have to make a good Mental note now!
Thanks

Apologies to Callum for the wrong info!
But anyway got it going at least!
Cheers

DeepSea
20th October 2012, 12:09 PM
....has an x in a circle for the following
1939 / AT / AF / IT / CL and an x without a circle for WM

Does this mean then he has the following medals somewhere?

This would indicate his medals had been awarded and received. You also state CL indicating a Clasp. If it is marked below the AT (Atlantic Star) this means he has the France & Germany Clasp indicating he was involved in the liberation of Europe at some point. If it appears below the AF (Africa Star) this would indicate he took part in "Operation Torch" and the North African Campaign in 1942.

Callum Miller
21st October 2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your reply, the CL is marked under the AF

Spoke to my sister and didn't even realise he had a medal, and definately not
really aware he had a few, more curious now as to where these vanished too?

Need to now look into getting access to his records with the National Archives to
see what information if any that shows and realy wanting to find out what ships
he served on/with. We definately know he served on the SS Benrinnes in Feb 1949
as he was sent a telegram to inform him of my eldest sisters birth so one lead there.

Really can't thank you guys enough for all this help and the information I've gained
in only a week on here. Quite amazed

DeepSea
21st October 2012, 12:14 PM
Once you are in possession of his CRS10 file this will list the ships he served on during the war, giving the dates he was onboard each ship. With this information it is then possible to trace the convoys he served in during that time.

Callum Miller
22nd October 2012, 08:41 AM
Morning guys, and once again thanks for your help over the past week in unravelling some of my Dad's history, been great telling
my kids about it all over the weekend, and printing out medals pictures etc to find out what they were for.

Vernon: it appears your and my error with the initials looking up SW rather than the GW which it is, was correct, the file I downloaded
with the help from DeepSea did tie to my dad, so his discharge number was correct, someone else and the lovely lady at the National
Archives said a lot had errors in them over the years due to the way they were written, but we got there in the end lol

Deep Sea: I'm getting a bit confused with a few things, the BT372 / BT382 CRS10 / CR10

The lady at the archives said I need to request the BT382 and in doing that, this would include the BT372 records, but appear to be struggling
to get any access to either online.

The other records you mentioned CRS10/CR10 is this just another name for the above files or is this a totalling different thing altogether,
sorry for sounding a bit thick but until last week I was not even aware of what a Seamans Pouch was.

Wanting to now pursue this a lot further, and had great pleasure in sharing the information I got with help from yourselves with my two
sisters who were a bit surprised like me about the medals.

The lady at Kew said I needed to go down, but that isn't an option at the moment or the near future to be honest with my business
commitments so may need to shalve things for a while as I'm wanting at some point to visit Scotland to get a bit more history there.

If you can possibly just clarify the above so I know I'm pushing down the right track it would be appriciated greatly.

DeepSea
22nd October 2012, 11:21 AM
BT372 is his Seaman's Pouch found at the following link with instruction for ordering. Ordering this file on line is easy as there is only one file number per individual.

Detecting your browser settings (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-3345831&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CMILLER%2CS%2CW&accessmethod=0)

BT382 is his CRS10 service file, which should be held in BT382/1224 covering the surnames "Miller Francis to Miller Jeremiah" These files can be ordered online, but as previously mentioned, would best require a visit to Kew as they are held in block and you will be charged for the initial search, which are a rip off. Even the private researchers Kew recommend charge up to 25.00 per hour.

Detecting your browser settings (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=8124529&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=BT382%2F1224)

Callum Miller
22nd October 2012, 11:35 AM
Cheers for that, have done it and got confirmation email stating up to 10 days for estimate or something, we shall
see what happens - many thanks

DeepSea
22nd October 2012, 03:52 PM
10 days is the usual estimate time for BT372 files. You will then be given a price and the option on whether to order the file or not. Please note as previously stated, due to ravages of time these files are extremely hit and miss.

Attached is the usual sort of information you may find in a Seaman's Pouch. This one belonged to Middlesbrough Merchant Seaman Ernie Vickers killed on the Atlantic Conveyor in 1982 during the Falklands War.

Callum Miller
23rd October 2012, 12:08 PM
Email this morning from archives and total cost 5.90 so on and ordered, quite quick really, can't wait to
see what is in it if anything really. will update you again when I get it.

DeepSea
23rd October 2012, 02:25 PM
The cost of 5.90 would suggest there is not much available from his pouch, but hopefully a photo from his ID card.

As mentioned previous his main service file is what you require for the ships and dates he served in BT382.

Callum Miller
23rd October 2012, 10:10 PM
I'm sure the quote said two pages but it's another thing I didn't have last week so will see whats what and go from there. It's also just to make sure
this is the correct file with the initials difference they had before going deeper with it. This appears to be correct for him but we shall see.

Regards Callum

DeepSea
24th October 2012, 09:44 AM
Discharge Book No. identical to medal file suggesting is the right file. Two pages does not mean much as they copy both sides of the document even if nothing is on the reverse.

Callum Miller
10th November 2012, 12:37 PM

This is what I received back from the National Archives today guys, say hello to my dad George Wilson Miller.

Couldn't have got these without your help, and appriciate everything you have done to help me through it.

Not sure if the images show on here but giving it a go anyway, I'm 45 yrs old and the first time I've seen these, brilliant!

Tony Morcom
10th November 2012, 12:54 PM
Another Merchant-Navy.net success story:clapping2:

Callum Miller
10th November 2012, 08:28 PM
The cost of 5.90 would suggest there is not much available from his pouch, but hopefully a photo from his ID card.

As mentioned previous his main service file is what you require for the ships and dates he served in BT382.

Now I have the files or information how do I go around getting access to his main service file? As I'd be very interested now to
find out which ships he was on. I know he also used to build large scale model ships and am looking now to find out if any of these
have survived the years or maybe in museums somewhere. My mother used to have one in an office where she worked which was about
5 ft long, so not little pocket ones. Really wanting to find out as much as I can about him now!