PDA

View Full Version : Esso's

Michael Lawrence
12th July 2008, 02:41 PM
Right Lads. Do we know what the initials mean. Eastern State Standard Oil or was it Eat Sleep S--- Overtime.
Sailed on the Esso Stockholm 57-58 all on the American coast and Carribean islands plus Venuzuela. Great ship great crew and a great trip. Then you got paid the magnifience sum of £12 a month extra to cope with the cost of living. Crikey it was so much cheaper for toothpaste and soap plus razors and toothbrushes we were on a winner. Left her in August and joined the Canterbury on the boring Gulf run . Esso's was definately a good employer. Take care mate . Mike:D;):p

Doc Vernon
13th July 2008, 09:19 AM
ref post#1

Hi Mike,
Sounds like you had great times aboard then ships matey!
I sometimes envy you guys that had so many years at Sea,i was so sorry that i never stayed a lot longer,but then youth had its own way haah!
Now for the end! ESSO could it also have been!

Every Seaman Should Obey!! haha!!
Cheers
Vernon:D

Michael Lawrence
13th July 2008, 01:34 PM
Vernon. Trust you to have an answer for it. Hey Mate done 1 trip on the Braemar and was introduce to the Delmonico. When I tried to tell folks at home about they couldn't believe or understand me. Enjoyed Sth Africa mate but couldn't handle the appartheid. guess it was the seaman in me in that all men are equal until proved otherwise. Keep safe Matey. Mike;):D

Doc Vernon
13th July 2008, 11:03 PM
Hi Mike,
Yes the tales of some of the Places were good,and there were many!
Yes Mike i fully agree with you on the Apartheid thing mate,and believe me i was one who tried never to go down that path.
I had to observe rules though,otherwise you know what! It sometimes killed me that i couldnt even talk to someone on the Street without being pulled up!
As you mate i always believed (and my Dad taught me ) that all men were equal,regardless!
But then look all over the World hey Mike and see just what used to and still goes on.!!
One of the main reasons we immigrated here was to get my Wife and Kids out of that enviorement!
Thank goodness i could when the Kids were still very young!
But besides all that i love my dear Home land Mike and miss it dearly,have been back 4 times and love every minute there!
Very hard to get back on the Plane mate haha!!

Just had to add something to that ESSO haha!
Keep well Mike

happy daze john in oz
14th July 2008, 05:59 AM
G'day Mike, have to agree with both you and Vernon on the S.A. color bar issue. Never hada problem with any of the good peole of the country. Knew a coluord taxi driver, Lakas, one of the best. always knew which house to go to early morning to get every one back in time fio:o turn to.

Doc Vernon
14th July 2008, 10:49 AM
ref post #5

Yep John,
Some of the very best Taxi drivers i ever met up with were the Colourds and so polite too,and as you said mate,they were so on time and always had you back at the Ship!
Also knew all the Dives didnt they! Also the Shabeens too haha!
And a bit more!! Say no more!
Cheers

stevesherratt
14th July 2008, 01:44 PM
ref post #1

I Joined ESSO Portsmouth at Genoa 8/4/68 and spent 10 very happy years. They paid me too much fed me exceptionally well, Movies twice a week and Bennie Hill Videos in between – they thought I would never leave! Good company and many happy memories.
Have a look at Auke Vissers Esso Petroleum site

http://www.aukevisser.nl/uk/id299.htm

Steve R770014 South Derbyshire

barriemac
18th July 2008, 12:54 PM
Do any of you remember the olympic mariner when she was on charter to esso, she was my first ship with the company. i remember we had a pump room fire when undergoing repairs in france fire brigade not happy with us because we had used co2to controll it

Gordon Paul
28th July 2008, 01:43 PM
Also meant Every Saturday/Sunday Off, forget what the EXXon was but not very complimentary. Joined Esso Salisbury in Genoa in 1971, "We usually put new comers around the coast first" Didnt say which coast, Happy days.

Anthony Bond
12th August 2008, 01:08 PM
It was Eastern States Standard Oil,back in the early 50's we only got $30.00 cost of living allowance.You were lucky. But we only paid 10 cents a pack for ciggies.:rolleyes:

Trader
12th August 2008, 03:19 PM
I was on the "Esso Lambeth" round the UK coast. Decent grub, plenty of overtime but the worst accommodation I have ever been with. Steel bunks, tin lockers and three to a cabin.

She was built for the Maracaibo lakes in Venezuela and not for the British coast. Flat bottomed, a bastard to steer and she did eight knots flat out. We were supplying power stations and loaded mostly at Fawley. We always got a night ashore as she took so long to discharge and ballast. We did Tilbury, Littlebrook, Purfleet, Plymouth, Portishead, Whitegate (Cork), Dublin, Bowling, I joined her in Manchester and paid off in Liverpool.

Trader.

Michael Bennett
13th August 2008, 09:19 AM
I was on a few ESSO tankers and we said ESSO stood for Eat Sleep Sh*** and overtime. Loved the life whent to a load of places with them including Japn for about 3 weeks.
Michael

NORMAN F WORMALD
13th August 2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Mike,
How long were you with ESSO and what was the name of the ships you sailed on?.
I was with them in the 1950s.
cheers Norman F Wormald.

Tom Griffiths
21st August 2008, 05:22 PM
Did my first trip in Esso Exeter a run job to M****ile in France and whilst at sea strike started so they flew us home day after we docked. on joining ship was shown to cabin and it was fab thought they had shown me to officers cabin for a laugh. Had just left the Army after 6 years so a big difference. First watch going through the Bay of Biscay could not stand up and had to crawl across the deck to the monkey island. for lookout .

Bill Dobson
28th August 2008, 12:25 PM
My ships with Esso were:

23 Aug 1971 to 04 Nov 1971 - Esso Newcastle
08 Jan 1972 to 28 Feb 1972 - Esso Lancashire
27 Mar 1972 to 25 Apr 1972 - Esso Northumbria
13 Jun 1972 to 17 Sep 1972 - Esso London
23 Nov 1972 to 21 Jan 1973 - Esso Hibernia

We had a TA overspeed on the Esso Newcastle (see my photos in Engine Rooms category)

Esso Hibernia nearly broke in half - 64 foot long crack midships (near the manifold) went down below the waterline. Anchored at Tenerife to have emergency repairs done (RSJ's welded acrross the crack) and then to go into drydock at Lisnaves in Lisbon for repairs.

stevesherratt
29th August 2008, 09:29 AM
Bill My Ships:

MV Amarna, Liverpool 26/05/62 to Liverpool 26/06/62, Pantry Boy
ESSO Portsmouth, Genoa 08/04/68 to Bahrain 22/07/68, Junior Electrician
ESSO Lancashire, Rotterdam 04/09/68 Fawley 26/12/68, Electrician
ESSO Cardiff, Fawley 03/02/69 to Amsterdam 07/07/69, Electrician
ESSO Mercia, Rastanura 04/10/69 to Milford Haven 05/11/69, 2nd Officer Electrical
ESSO Mercia, Milford Haven 06/11/69 to Rotterdam 05/01/70, 2nd Officer Electrical
ESSO Mercia, Rastanura 08/04/70 to Rotterdam 27/04/70, 2nd Officer Electrical
ESSO Edinburgh, Rastanura 23/07/70 to Portland USA 03/10/07, 2nd Officer Electrical
ESSO Scotia, Milford Haven 11/11/70 Milford Haven 12/01/71, Electrical Officer
ESSO Lancashire, Milford Haven 16/01/71 to Bahrain 12/02/71 Electrical Officer
ESSO Lincoln, Baltimore 16/03/71 to Kalundborg 22/06/71, Electrician
ESSO Portsmouth, New York 18/08/71 to Fawley 14/11/71, Electrician
ESSO Hibernia, Fawley 29/12/71 to Rastanura 29/01/72, Electrician
ESSO Caledonia, Rastanura 27/03/72 to Rotterdam 30/04/72, Electrician
ESSO Cambria, Fawley 05/05/72 to Rastanura 10/08/72 2nd Officer Electrical
ESSO Mercia, Fawley 28/11/72 to M****ille 05/03/73 Electrician
ESSO Mercia, Mina al Ahmadi 16/04/73 to Savona 04/08/73 Electrician
ESSO Bernicia, Rotterdam 25/10/73 to Dubai 06/12/73 Electrician
ESSO Mercia, Mina al Ahmadi 12/12/73 to Tenerife 26/01/74 Electrician
ESSO Bernicia, Cape town 21/03/74 to Wilhelmshaven 19/04/74 1st Officer Electrical
ESSO Anglia, Cape town 23/04/74 to Rastanura 18/05/74, 1st Officer Electrical
ESSO Mercia, Bahrain 19/05/74 to Fawley 01/07/74, 1st Officer Electrical
ESSO Anglia, La Vera 10/09/74 to Fawley 08/01/74, 1st Officer Electrical
ESSO Bernicia, Singapore 14/03/75 to Dubai 03/07/75, 1st Officer Electrical
Seconded to the Capital Projects Group July 1975 to December 1978 on UMS and Burner Management projects on ESSO Anglia, Northumbria, Bernicia, Cambria and Hibernia.

Ten fabulous years with ESSO, lots of great shipmates would do it all again, they paid me much more than I was worth and thought I would never leave them. Gave it all up when a little voice one day said “Daddy, don’t go” I was the poorest, happiest man I knew for years after.

Best Regards

Doc Vernon
29th August 2008, 10:23 AM
ref post #16

Hi Steve,
Must say that looks like a very impressive Sea record mate!
You were a good Man to say cherio to all that,but mate when the Kids get involved thats it! Rather poor and happy!
But your memories will live with you forever!
Wish i could have done a lot longer too!
Cheers
Vernon:)

Bill Dobson
29th August 2008, 06:51 PM
Steve, we were literally ships that passed in the night. Esso Lancashire and Esso Hibernia within months of each other. I was on the Hibernia when she was having the inert gas system fitted at Lisnaves in January 1973.

Also forgot to mention I was 1st Electrical Officer too - so it was you who left me all the probelms on the Hibernia:)

stevesherratt
31st August 2008, 01:37 PM
ref post #18

Hi Bill, I seem to remember the Hibernia was a good ship and was Dave Parker (or was it his brother Gill) who was the Purser? The Northumbria was a bit of a sod from time to time and I think she had similar structural problems due to lazy night shift welders at Swans filling the weld on her stingers with loose welding rods and not completing the multiple runs required. Electrically both ships were quite good. The Belfast Caledonia was a better ship generally I never sailed on the Ulidia. My all time best and favourite ship was the Anglia had some happy times on her with my old mate Terry Sutcliffe Purser and Alan Porch 3/O/Eng.

Did you ever know Bill Pegg 1/0/EL we too passed in the night and I have been working with him recently till he retired.

What did you do after leaving ESSO?

Best Regards Steve, South Derbyshire

Bill Dobson
31st August 2008, 06:34 PM
ref post#19

Hi Steve, I'm absolutely useless at remembering names and putting names to faces, but I have a number of photos taken on some of the ships. I could send you copies and you might recognise some of them.

After Esso went to work for PSA at Fylingdales and Staxton Wold, joined Ellermans in April 1975, left them in January 1978 and done many things since then including working for BOC and a number of years on various MOD sites as a Technical Officer. Last claim to fame - one of the closing team for RAF Cardington in 2000.

Regards
Bill

John Bowditch
3rd September 2008, 05:55 PM
ref post #1

It used to also mean, "Every Sucker Signs Once", or "Every Sat and Sunday Off", But both those quotations were not true when I sailed with them in the Early 60s, it nice to think I have a small pension to come soon from Exon/Mobile, it will help pay my Gas bill, John.

NORMAN F WORMALD
3rd September 2008, 08:30 PM
Hi John,
I sailed with ESSO on the American coast 1957&1958 on the Esso Syracuse
and Esso Montivideo did the same run as yourself, realy enjoyed it. A change
from the Persion Gulf.
cheers Norman.

David Howard
11th September 2008, 10:17 AM
Hi All,
I first went to sea on the Esso Winchester in 1961 as a junior engineer, not a bad ship but we only did boring runs to the Middle East and back to either Fawley or Milford Haven.
However, my second ship was the Esso Exeter - and that was a rusty heap that threatened to (and did) fall apart at the slightest provocation! I have never worked so hard in all my life as I did on that heap!
The only bright side of that sign-on was that we went to some interesting places in the USA/Caribbean/Venezuela/Dutch West Indies/etc - well, if you can call the seamens' missions at those places interesting! LOL!

And that was my career with Esso, I couldn't wait to quit when I got home after six months on the Exeter. After that I joined Cable and Wireless, talk about chalk and cheese, those C&W ships were immaculate and I had some truly great times in some beautiful parts of the world.

Peace to All. :)

stevesherratt
1st October 2008, 02:47 PM
ref post#11

Hi Trader
do you remember a Third Mate Dave Wyatt for the Isle of White on the Esso Lambeth?
I sailed with him as Second mate in the mid seventies, he also stood by Esso Anglia and finished up marrying the Travel Agent in Chanteurs-de-Atlantique before they sailed.
Best wishes,
Steve R777014 South Derbyshire

Ron Hamilton
24th October 2008, 08:34 AM
I feel like a relic from the 'Ark' when I read that Trader said the worst accommodation he had was steel bunks ,tin lockers & 3 to a cabin ! I sailed on a variety of vessels which it would be hard to convince people today of the conditions , so I'll say no more at this point . I sailed on the D.L. Harper in 1949 ( previously a German vessel ) with Esso , couldn't believe my luck , great food , good officers & Captain Pugsley , & crew. Sailed to gulf & west Indies , Tenerife (before the tourists stuffed it up ) St Vincent, etc. & in 1950 the John Flanigan to the Gulf. I think I must have stayed too long in the sun at this point because left her & joined a wreck , the 'old' Luminetta ,Moss's of Liverpool which is a story of horrors on it's own , which I keep promising myself I must write before I pass on! I joined the Esso Birmingham in '53 for 3 trips up the Gulf & decided I'd had enough of tankers despite Esso being the best company I sailed with & when I came ashore eventually I faithfully would only purchase petrol from Esso petrol stations , bypassing BP everytime ! Ron , N.Z.

stevesherratt
24th October 2008, 11:16 AM
Good to see your post Ron and incase you dont know about it (you probably do) try the link and look at all your old ships turned into Toyota Cars and Razor Blades by now

http://www.aukevisser.nl/uk/id299.htm

All the best and regards

Jorgen Lonn
24th October 2008, 12:26 PM
Do you want to exchange photos and info of Shell tankers?
Will send CD´s and DVD´s with photos.
Brgds Jorgen
WSS member 07200
jorgen.tankers@gmail.com

Michael Bennett
2nd November 2008, 10:52 AM
I spent 5 years with ESSO What a company till they stopped the overtime. Ended up in Japan on the Esso Winchester I think , Boy what food . The best on I was on was the ESSO Cardiff. Any one want to talk abot ESSo my email adress is michaelscouts@optusnet.com.au.
Mick

stevesherratt
7th November 2008, 02:24 PM
What other ships were you on? wondered if our paths have crossed? Do you remember Mate and Master Bryn Mayer I see him now and again. I am also in touch with Alan Pampling Sparks with IMR he still lives with his Dad in Harlow. Have you listed your ships yet?
Regards
Steve Sherratt R770014 South Derbyshire

stevesherratt
10th November 2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Brian, happy days and it took me years to get used to Shore Side. In 79 I set up my own business and it ran for twenty years and then we wound it up when work dried up. I see Bryn from time to time at Family gatherings (he is a cousin by marriage or as we used to say “their cat crossed our garden”)
Are you able to attend our Third Liverpool Meet Up next Saturday? I see you are from Bolton and that’s not too far. We are expecting 18-20 and should be a good day out swinging the lantern Norman Wormwald will be there he’s Ex ESSO too.
Must go the day job beckons

stevesherratt
10th November 2008, 02:05 PM
Hi Brian,
Sorry you cant make Liverpool 3 Meet Up but glad you have other things to do. I do remember Jack Allan and his lovely wife Rita, if you are still in touch please send the our regards, Sue and I sailed with them. Jack was is a card and he dropped me right in it at the Victoria Street Office once. We were both visiting the Office and jumped into an empty lift to go up to the fifth floor and Jack pressed all the call buttons up to the twelfth floor and as we stopped at the first floor to pick up some office workers he jumped out leaving me in the lift with a load of stuffy ESSO Office workers looking very tiresome at me and all the red lights – it seemed to take an age to get to the fifth.
You are right Peter Russell has do well for him self since ESSO.
What is the name of brewery that your brother runs in Liverpool – is it the Baltic Fleet? I go up to Liverpool as often as I can mainly to the Match when I can get tickets.
Regards Steve R770014 South Derbyshire

Mark Williams
7th September 2009, 05:11 PM
Hi Brian, your name is very familiar.
I must have travelled on a couple of vessels with you in 76/77.
I was a deck cadet at the time.

James Doherty
19th March 2010, 04:14 PM
Did a voyage on the Salisbury from dec 71 then she was down the dutch west indes up to north america then over to Amsterdam and back Great grew at that time mostly under thirty one of the better trips. I think she saw being sold shortly after that.

Michael Bennett
20th March 2010, 05:37 AM
Was on many ESSO tankers went all over the place, Went to Japan on one Cant remember the name of the ship, Went from Bristol to Venezuela then through the Panama over to Yokohama then onto Kobe down the Gulf and back home , Had about 2 to 3 weeks in Japan very nice.
Wiggy

Pat Lyons
25th May 2010, 10:41 PM
I was on the Wandsworth in `62 and we had 4 to a cabin then, but she was a happy dingbat and enjoyed my time on her, Pat Lyons.

colin twine
26th May 2010, 08:30 AM
sailed on the esso guildford 66-67 joined her in malta paid off in le-harve HATED IT cheers clancy

stewarthird
19th July 2010, 06:33 AM
Hi Steve ,
Was with ESSO 78-84 , Hibernia,Scotia,York , Warickshire, etc . Young lad and it made a man of me . Some good memories and many laughs . Would those old characters survive today ?? It seems to be very pc today . Got married and had to leave .
Good luck ,
Stewart

stewarthird
19th July 2010, 06:43 AM
Hi ,
Remember Gill well , he was the Purser on the Hibernia on my first trip . A gentleman through and through !!
Stewart

Doc Vernon
19th July 2010, 07:04 AM
Hi Stewart
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

If this applies to you then please do send in your details!
Note Well

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
Thank you
Vernon (castleman)

Please go to following Link

www.merchant-navy.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

Or reply to me in person! Via Private Message Link above below I will pass on the info!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=18

If any new Members or old ones too want a bit of info on the Flag Projects please
Go to the following Links where you can see Pics and Write ups on this subject!
Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=558

If you have already done this then please accept my apologies!

Tom Reidy
20th July 2010, 03:04 PM
Esso means SO. (Standard Oil) The story goes that some guy was told to paint a sign "SO" and in his ignorance painted "Esso". It looked good and the company made it their logo.
Was on the engine room plates when the Durham blew up. To this day I can still feel the pressure of the deck plates on the soles of my feet as she reared up.
Have many happy memories of Aruba.
Was on one vessel ( forgot which one ) and we sailed from Aruba to Japan. Afterwards the Company was inundated with requests for transfer to "The Japan run". And by golly my next vessel (joined in Bremerhaven) was a trip from Mina to Japan
Actually circumnavigated the world on our trip Aruba-Japan as we returned via the Malacca Straits and Gulf to Fawley

stevesherratt
21st July 2010, 11:32 AM
Hi Tom,

Good to see your post Tom, my first trip was on ESSO Portsmouth 08/04/68, she was the ESSO Durham sister ship and by this time they were both “All Aft” after the explosion. I had my share of fires and explosions with ESSO but don’t envy you on the Durham, just in case you haven’t seen it follow this link to Auke Vissers site:

http://www.aukevisser.nl/uk/id173.htm

Some ESSO Portsmouth Names that might ring a bell or two:

Master, “Willy” Brians
Mick Lisney, Third Engineer
Jack Calor, Jr Second Engineer
John “Mud Hut Mason” Lecky paid of in Pantalarea with a dicky ticker
Alfie Toulson, Lecky

All the best

Tom Reidy
24th July 2010, 10:52 AM
When the Durham went into dry dock the crew were repatriated, and I (junior eng) the 2nd eng, the CE, skipper and chief steward were to remain.
Instructions were to book into any hotel except The Rock.
I nipped ashore smartly and got myself and the second booked into The Queen. There being no more vacancies at The Queen the others had to billet at lower quality billets down town
Every morning the second and I would sit on the balcony with coffee and croisants and watch our more senior members toiling uphill. We would then join them at the dockyard gates.
I prepared samples from the explosion site for conveyance to the UK and sawed in half anodes from the ruptured tanks.
Explosion occurred in 4 cntr but made common with the sea through 4 port and 4 stb.
The ship had been provisiond for 56 men for 6 months.
Esso invited tenders from wholesalers and chandlers, for the victuals.
It appeared all tenders "Had been cooked" as every one was identical and ridiculously low. Esso retaliated by donating all supplies to a local orphanage run by Catholic nuns.
Army trucks transported the food and dry good to the nuns and the bond store to the army mess. ( how much made it to the mess is a matter of speculation)
The local press were loud in their praise for Esso, but, as the Company said, Esso had no presence in Gib.. All sevice stations were Shell
tom reidy

Dave Light
4th September 2010, 03:38 PM
I sailed with Jack (spelt Caller) I think in 1965 on the Westminster when he was a 4/E. I'm glad he made it to J/2E at least. Any idea whan happened to him after that?

Regards

Dave Light

terry lewis
22nd May 2011, 10:14 PM
hiya steve, i have just come on this site, anyway i spent 10 years in esso and really enjoyed my time there, you know they always said that tankers where on crap runs but when i was there deep sea they where on great runs, and the company really did look after there employees, anyway its weird how over the years how you forget but you mentioned the purser terry sutcliffe, well i sailed with terry and he was a real gent and to be honest id completely forgotten about terry until i saw his name mentioned, then it rang a bell so to speak,terry weas a lovely man, regards terry lewis

Colin Pook
2nd February 2012, 03:41 PM
Hello Michael, I was told, By some-one that knows, that ESSO was originally a typists mistake when the company was STANDARD OIL of NEW JERSEY. she was told to draught a letter to S.O. (Standard Oil> but mistook the name for ESSO. It appears that the boss liked the name, and from then on that was the companies logo name. I stand to be corrected of course.
Nice to meet you,
Colin, ex Esso man.

Ron Hamilton
24th March 2012, 04:23 AM
In '49' I sailed on the D.L.Harper & I have always been curious of how the careers of 2 apprentices transpired, one named Campbell ,the senior app. ( his father was a senior Capt.in the company ), & 'young Wilkie ' Wilkinson on his 1st trip . I recall many incidents involving them , some amusing, but couldn't occur today , hopefully . If anyone knows of them I would gratefully appreciate it . Ron

donald campbell
12th February 2015, 06:51 PM
I too was did ten years with esso 1965 till 1975 second cook and baker then head cook I was also on the Cambria when it ran aground in the gulf in 1970

donald campbell
12th February 2015, 06:58 PM
I too did ten years in esso 1965 till 1975 most of the vlcc s was second cook and baker then chief cook I was also on the Cambria when she ran aground in the gulf in 1970

Captain Kong
10th May 2015, 04:06 PM
I have just been reading the posts on this ESSO thread,
It appears that all of my posts have disappeared.
ESSO was the best ever Company to work for. good pay and at the end when offered early retirement as they were getting out of ship owning, the severance pay was incredible, like winning the Lottery, after 25 years and spending over £150,000 on world cruises every year, I still more than twice the amount they gave me with the advice of their Financial advisers. with incredible investments.
Best move I ever made.
I sailed with Jack Aalan`s` son Ashley on QE2 ,when I was cruising, as a Cadet and then when he was Second Mate.
Cheers
Brian.

Tony Davies
16th July 2015, 09:25 AM
I too sailed in the Exeter and also with Cable and Wireless...

Louis Naylor
13th August 2015, 07:51 PM
Donald, I served with Esso from 1970 to 73 as 2nd cook & baker and can remember the Cambria running aground in Bandar Abbass. I was on the Caledonia at the time I ended up cook/steward on coastal but left after they docked me 7 days leave which had been agreed with the union, calling them 'waiting days' something that had never happened as I was allocated a new ship at the end of every leave. I had some good times and remember sailing with Dougie Denholm, for some reason he is the only name I can remember from the number I served with.

Patrick mullan
11th July 2017, 06:32 PM
Hi mike my uncle Neil mullan was on the Stockholm in the 50s did you know him? Regards PJ Mullan

Jim Dixon
11th July 2017, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Captain Kong;201188]I have just been reading the posts on this ESSO thread,
It appears that all of my posts have disappeared.
ESSO was the best ever Company to work for. good pay and at the end when offered early retirement as they were getting out of ship owning, the severance pay was incredible, like winning the Lottery, after 25 years and spending over

GBP150,000 per year. Were you the owner of Esso?

Captain Kong
11th July 2017, 07:48 PM
Hi Jim
quote,,,,,,,,,,,after 25 years and spending over £150,000, ..........[maybe should have place a comma behind the £150,000 ],.,..... on world cruises every year,,,,,,,,
I meant I had spent over £150,000 since I left ESSO 25 years ago, and still have more than I started with from the Big Pay Off.
The ESSO Financial advisors were fantastic on where to invest our money, I know that some who had been with ESSO a lot longer and really got Big Money became millionaires with their investments.
Cheers
Brian.

Topcat 68
28th September 2018, 09:59 AM
Did my first trip in Esso Exeter a run job to M****ile in France and whilst at sea strike started so they flew us home day after we docked. on joining ship was shown to cabin and it was fab thought they had shown me to officers cabin for a laugh. Had just left the Army after 6 years so a big difference. First watch going through the Bay of Biscay could not stand up and had to crawl across the deck to the monkey island. for lookout .

What year was this please?

Ken Norton
28th September 2018, 07:00 PM
Think it was 1964 Ken

David Light
9th January 2019, 07:12 PM
Hi Steve. I sailed on the Westminster s cadet or 5/E in about 1964/5 with a 4/E called Jack Caller (could it be Calor?). He was a good lad. Used to sunbathe naked on the monkey island with a sock to avoid sunburn! The ship was a workhorse but the engineers were great blokes. Happy memories. Glad Jack made it to J2/E. The C/E was from Devon, as was the S2/E, relieving chief Terry Roberts. Also sailed with Geordie Johnny Locker, Willy Igoe from Manchester, J2/E Barry Stott, 5/E Alex Young from Scotland. Ever heard of them?

Regards

Dave Light