PDA

View Full Version : Australind Shipping Company

David Williams
26th December 2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Everybody.
Im beggining to wonder if anyone as heard of this Shipping
Company.I sailed on the Ajana from9/5/58 until 2/10/58.
There was only the three ships :-Australin,Ajana,and the
third one I cant remember the name of,surely someone
must know something???

Dave Williams(R583900)

Geoff Anderson
26th December 2008, 07:03 PM
Hi Dai.
Australind S SG CO LTD.
Trinder Anderson & Co. LTD.

AJANA 1950. 5'627 tons
ARALUEN 1958. 5'910 tons
AUSTRALIND 1961. 6'276 tons.

best wishes geoff:D

David Williams
26th December 2008, 08:13 PM
Hi Geoff.
Thanks for the information.It makes my
mind boggle at the information out there
just waiting to be tapped into.Cheers.
Please keep in touch.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Gulliver
26th December 2008, 08:24 PM
Hi Dai---You have a short memory---we informed you of all this on November 8th and Nov.24th. You have an earlier post under this subject..Tip: Under Search on the
Main Page type in ARALUEN. See what I mean?I don't think you are reading all your posts.

Regards Gulliver;)

David Williams
26th December 2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Davey.
Yes I realised after posting the message about the Australin Shipping Co,
that I did have this information.As there seemed to be no responce to
my message,I thought that I would start the ball rolling so to speak by
posting what I did.Thanks again anyway.

Dave Williams(R583900)

happy daze john in oz
27th December 2008, 04:53 AM
He only reads the ones that come with little windows in them.:eek::eek:

Evan Lewis
27th December 2008, 08:12 AM
As they might say in Glagow. "Is that no the Hungry Goose Line"?

P.S. Hope the ? Mark is in the right place,as I may leave myself open to personal attack .such as Terry is being subject to.A jokes a Joke but stuff a Pantomime!
Stick with it Our kid !

alf corbyn
27th December 2008, 10:52 AM
hi evan. hope you do not include me in the P taking of RLT. i always try and make a joke to ease these silly situations. hence the reference to fly fishing (old ad on telly).
cheers and a happy new year. alf

Evan Lewis
28th December 2008, 01:53 AM
Alf
Not in the least . I should have been more specific,sorry.
Thank you for the New Year greetings, much appreciated,And would like to extend them to All.

I was referring to the attacks on R.l.Ted. Bit over the top! : Unbecoming for an educated Hofficer.Indicates ,no. one's perfect.
Cheers!

John Fearnley
5th January 2009, 03:06 PM
Hi dave
I was deck cadet with Trinder Anderson 62-65 & sailed on the Galway (Avenue SC) for first 2 years & on the Araluen (Australind SC) for the finall year in 64-65.
I remember seeing the "Australind" but not the "Ajana". I think the "Ajana" was supposed to have the best accommodation,as they skimped on later ships.
Good runs, except the MANZ runs which were up to a year (UK/Aus/NZ/USA/Canada then back south again).
Many fond memories of NZ

David Williams
16th January 2009, 05:00 PM
Hi John.
You may be right about the Ajana having good accomodation,
thats one thing I do remember about her.Did you know that
she went aground and was lost ,I think it was off Recife in
South America..

Dave Williams(R583900)

David Williams
16th January 2009, 05:08 PM
Hi John.
I cant remember if Ive asked you before.Ive collected the Cap Badges
poof all the Companies I sailed with,now Im collecting buttons.Im having
trouble trying to obtain a button from the Australin Shipping Co.but Ive
been told that a few Companies used the same buttons on their uniforms
as the were all connected :-N.Z.S.C...Trinder Anderson....Avenue Shipping
Company...Bethell Gwyn and I dont recall if there ant others involved.Im
hoping that maybe you know where I could lay my hands on one of these
buttons..

Dave Williams(R583900)

John Fearnley
18th January 2009, 08:47 PM
Hi Dave
I didn't know that.
My first ship was Galway which was part of Trinder Andersons Avenue Fleet. I heard that it was lengthened (maybe at Harlands in Belfast) & one half capsized during the process

Cheers
John f

Paul Foulston
6th May 2009, 10:37 AM
John,

I served my time with Trinder Anderson during the mid 60's on the Limerick, Antrim and Australind. Last job was working by on handover of Limerick to BI in Avonmouth.

Many names lost in the mists of time. However I remember Joe Walford as senior appentice on the the Limerick in command of captain Blake.

Wellington in the 60's was absolute heaven.

Transferred to Antrim during seamans strike which was not such a happy ship as Limerick.

Paul

Doc Vernon
6th May 2009, 10:56 AM
Hi Paul
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

Also"

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
Thank you

Please go to following Link

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

therustyarrow
9th June 2009, 06:03 PM
My Father salied on the Australind- not sure which one but the last one I think. He worked for Trinder & Anderson for many years.

Sid Le Quesne
27th August 2009, 11:35 AM
I was employed by Trinder, Anderson's from Jan. '54 to Nov.'58 and sailed on the Ajana from Port Pirie to Avonmouth in 1956. Spent rest of my time on Avenue Line ships which Trinder's managed, mainly on the MANZ run. At that time Australind Shipping had only three ships, Australind, Ashburton and Ajana. Sid.

David Williams
26th October 2009, 01:17 PM
Hi John.
Just came across your posting about the Australind Shipping Co.
You are right about the accomodation,best ship I ever sailed on.
She came to a sorry end.Went aground somewhere off the coast
of South America,and was lost.

Dave Williams(R583900)

David Williams
26th October 2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Syd.
I sailed on the Ajana way back in 1958.There was also
a fourth boat the ARALEUN,dont know what happened
to her.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Derek Maeer
27th October 2009, 09:20 PM
I was 2nd Mate on the L imerick during the Strike in Liverpool. Happiest ship I was ever on, probably because of Capt John Blake
Derek Maeer

Doc Vernon
27th October 2009, 09:33 PM
Hi Derek M
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!

Good to serve on a happy Ship isnt it !
Cheers

Note Well

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
Thank you
Vernon (castleman)

Please go to following Link

www.merchant-navy.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

Or reply to me in person! Via Private Message Link above below I will pass on the info!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=18

If you have already done this then please accept my apologies!

Felix Gibson
2nd May 2010, 10:26 AM
Dave,

I am now 69 but was a cadet with Trinder Anderson for three and a half years only from age 16 to 19 on the Galway, Armagh and Australind and well remember painting, "holystoning" wooden decks, watches on the bridge, a force 11 storm off New Zealand, a Maori nurse in Auckland etc.

Felix Gibson

Dirk Lewer
10th September 2010, 06:47 PM
I was 2nd Mate on the L imerick during the Strike in Liverpool. Happiest ship I was ever on, probably because of Capt John Blake
Derek Maeer
Hi Derek
We sailed together on the ANTRIM Sept 1964 to Feb 1965.
We loaded on east coast US,then Aussie and back to Manchester.
You were 3rd mate,and I was Jun Engr.
Capt.H Jones was Master,J Holder Mate,Mike Storr 2nd mate.Jim Bathgate was Chief Eng.
Stayed on Antrim until Aug 1996,then went to study for 2nd cert.
Dirk

len mazza
9th November 2010, 12:19 AM
At the back end of 1971 I was in Montreal on the Port New Plymouth,and I think a ship sounding very much
like Australind was berthed nearby loadind,I think grain or wheat for Indonisia,would that be likely?.

A few of us went abord for a visit and she seemed seemed pretty sparten,a long time ago now,but happydays.

Len Mazza,R621945

john james
25th July 2011, 08:08 PM
HI, just read your post about the Hungry Goose Line.My late Brother sailed as Carpenter on the Armadale in the early 50s,his name was Harry James,in case anybody out there remembers him.He also sailed with Elder Dempster and Brocklebank.

Dirk Lewer
26th July 2011, 03:16 PM
Hi Dave
I didn't know that.
My first ship was Galway which was part of Trinder Andersons Avenue Fleet. I heard that it was lengthened (maybe at Harlands in Belfast) & one half capsized during the process

Cheers
John f

Hi John,

The Galway was lengthened at Smiths Dock,North Shields in March/April 1967.I was the standby Engineer.
It was the Ajana that had the problem at Harlands in Belfast in 65/66.

Cheers
Dirk

Ivan Cloherty
26th July 2011, 07:41 PM
Hi John,

The Galway was lengthened at Smiths Dock,North Shields in March/April 1967.I was the standby Engineer.

Cheers
Dirk

Hi Dirk

Then you may have known my father Ivan "Paddy" Cloherty (R96096) he was bosun on the "Galway" from 02.07.1966 until 17.07.1969, then joined the "Araluen" 30.08.1969 until 05.11.1971

Yep he did like a drink, but from reports given by master and Mate was a good bosun both for ship and crew

Ivan

Richard Culligan
5th August 2011, 05:05 PM
Ivan

My first ship as a cadet was the Araluen from31 Mar 1967 to 20th Aug 1969 where we paid off in Hull.

I seem to remember that we had a bosun from Dublin but cannot remember his name as he kept on about the lower rate of tax he was paying compared to the rest of crew and he also enjoyed a drink. If I remember rightly he was a small stocky chap.

Ivan Cloherty
6th August 2011, 08:04 AM
Ivan

My first ship as a cadet was the Araluen from31 Mar 1967 to 20th Aug 1969 where we paid off in Hull.

I seem to remember that we had a bosun from Dublin but cannot remember his name as he kept on about the lower rate of tax he was paying compared to the rest of crew and he also enjoyed a drink. If I remember rightly he was a small stocky chap.

Hi Richard

Dad joined the "Araluen" on 8th August 1969 in Hull, he was from Galway and 5' 10" fairly slim but muscular, was always complaining about his high tax, well to us at home when I saw him when our paths crossed, a rare event with us both being at sea. Cannot read the master's signature, it looks like Mullaney, but most were a scrawl, became that when signing off 50 - 60 crew members I suppose

Thanks for the above,

Ivan

Bob Hollis
6th August 2011, 08:29 AM
Hi John,

Cheers
Dirk

Hi Dirk,

It was the Araluen which had the forward section topple in H & W drydock Belfast. I was bosun on her after Ivan's father. She had a kink in her where the extension was joined.

aussie
6th August 2011, 10:22 AM
I was on Antrim 1971-72,2 trips and Donegal one trip. Great trips and great crews. Bosun on Antrim was Wally Green and on Donegal last name Fraser. Captains were Murry and Luck, C/E Horsburgh and C/S Barnes. Names might be familiar to some of you.We used to fly the Hungry Goose flag on both ships if i remember. Cheers Aussie

Richard Culligan
6th August 2011, 03:10 PM
I remember the Araluen having the 'kink' up forward plus also having two black balls permanently displayed due to the fact we kept breaking down. The wire holding the black balls together gave up in the end and nearly hit the CO tall chapo with a beard but can't tremember his name!!

Richard (R846959)

Paul Foulston
19th August 2011, 09:43 AM
I was 2nd Mate on the Limerick during the Strike in Liverpool. Happiest ship I was ever on, probably because of Capt John Blake
Derek Maeer

Derek,

Old posting I know but a couple of questions if you still look in here.

Am I correct in thinking that apart from being on the Limerick under John Blake we worked by on either Antrim or Galway when she was dry docked at Smiths in North Shields around 1969. There was a large explosion leading to a fatality and injuries to dockyard staff and ship was shifted on the blocks.

All a long time ago but I remember hiring a car together to get back home.............cannot remember why.

Going back to the Limerick 1n 1966, can you remember the name of the third mate, think he later went off to Geest line?

Paul

Bob Dunkley
9th June 2012, 04:13 PM
Dave in reply to your query has any body heard of this co ,i sailed on the Australind in january 1970 we ended up, up the gulf for weeks we caught fire in Basrah which burnt out the turbo blowers so they towed us to aberdan in Iran where we stayed a few days waiting for the parts while a shore gang of arabs cleaned up all the black bulkheads in the engine room the morning of the fire we all moved aft as flames were coming out the engine room sky light the captain and chief engineer were shouting get down and fight the fire , we were saying you get down and fight the fire in the end the iraqi fire brigade turned up and put it out we had one man blotto and carried him from the accomodation to the poop ,after leaving Aberdan we went to Lorenco Marques to load ore for middlesboruogh arriving on the 8th of May one of our crew was later to be the lookout on the Bow Belle .and the engine room storekeper was sent home under suspision of starting the fire we also had some fires in the hatches the same night ,the greaser on watch said there was 4 fires in differnt locations in the engine room he put 3 out but the 4th one blew a round cilinder tank and he just got out ahead of the fire beside that it was a great trip with a good bunch of lads and not a bad ship

Richard Culligan
11th June 2012, 08:41 PM
I was on that trip as one of the cadets, I remember that fire and being down in the engine room with the big fire extingushers with the CO (can't remember his name but the skipper I think was Capt Hastings) and others.

Richard (R 846959)

Bob Dunkley
12th June 2012, 10:39 AM
richard i remember one of the cadets he had jet black hair and was quite short does that sound like you if so did you stay with the co or at sea in general

Richard Culligan
12th June 2012, 04:55 PM
Hi Bob

No, I was the one with red / auburn hair - the other guy was a first tripper if it is the person I'm thinking of. Will have to see if I have any photos from that trip.

I stayed with the Company till end of 1971 (joined them in 1967) and then left the sea. Think I would have been bored on container ships. If I remember rightly wasn't there also a fire in one of the aft hatches (timber cargo)?

Another thing has come to mind regarded a fracas with the American Navy in Bahrain and the same American ship turned up in LM!

Bob Dunkley
16th June 2012, 10:36 AM
richard you are right there were 2 or3 fires during the night in the hatches and we were thinking it might have been the russians as they had trounced us at football in the after noon and we were invited onboard there ship for drinks it seems the jnr eng or someone took a watch from the russian captains quarters which made us think they were after revenge ,But in the end we all knew the culprit ??? the affair in Bahrain was simple we were on the sherbert in a base for the army and navy it was called H M S JUFAIR I think, we were sitting at a tin table when some one came in with an alsation dog ,a tin table got kicked over and a big ruck broke out and our pantry boy from manchester( he had long hair ) glassed a navy boy and caused quite a cut from eye to chin all hell broke loose and we were all taken back to the ship by landrover next day they had an identity parade with some big knobs white feathers in there caps the lot but the boy who was glassed told me on the bottom of the ganway that he wasnt going to grass even if he recognised him.When you described yourself i got a picture in my mind straight away nice to hear from you

Richard Culligan
19th June 2012, 05:52 PM
richard you are right there were 2 or3 fires during the night in the hatches and we were thinking it might have been the russians as they had trounced us at football in the after noon and we were invited onboard there ship for drinks it seems the jnr eng or someone took a watch from the russian captains quarters which made us think they were after revenge ,But in the end we all knew the culprit ??? the affair in Bahrain was simple we were on the sherbert in a base for the army and navy it was called H M S JUFAIR I think, we were sitting at a tin table when some one came in with an alsation dog ,a tin table got kicked over and a big ruck broke out and our pantry boy from manchester( he had long hair ) glassed a navy boy and caused quite a cut from eye to chin all hell broke loose and we were all taken back to the ship by landrover next day they had an identity parade with some big knobs white feathers in there caps the lot but the boy who was glassed told me on the bottom of the ganway that he wasnt going to grass even if he recognised him.When you described yourself i got a picture in my mind straight away nice to hear from you

Bob

I do not remember that number of hatch fires nor the football match - but I do remember the Russian ship borrrowing the film 'Battle of Britain' for a few days. Re the ruck I remember the visit the ship had the next day from the top brass but I never knew the actual circumstances behind it all, thanks for enlightening me.

I do remember sailing down to LM as I was one of the group tasked with cleaning up the engine room caused by the smoke damage. Us cadets got all the good jobs!!!

Didn't a greaser get taken ashore in the Gulf?

Still trying to find if I had any photos of that trip - if I have will post them on this thread.

Richard

Lindsay Forrest
5th December 2014, 05:57 AM
Hi I was 4th Engineer on this when we caught fire. In Basra I remember. It made a hell of a mess in the engine room and we ended up doing Engine Room watches with torches until we got to the UK.

Lindsay Forrest
5th December 2014, 06:06 AM
I was the only engineer with a camera and took rolls of film on the fire damage. But. When we returned to the UK the c/Engineer took all the film off me and gave it to the super in London. That's the last I ever saw of that. Richard I am the Kiwi engineer.

Richard Culligan
6th December 2014, 09:16 PM
I was the only engineer with a camera and took rolls of film on the fire damage. But. When we returned to the UK the c/Engineer took all the film off me and gave it to the super in London. That's the last I ever saw of that. Richard I am the Kiwi engineer.

Think I remember you Lindsay - you had a beard?

Are you back in NZ?

Richard

Sid Le Quesne
30th August 2015, 10:17 AM
Hi Dave,
Have been absent from this site for some considerable time and have only just noticed your query on Trinder's ships. No one has mentioned the Ashburton.
I spent 5 years with Trinder's, 1954-58, firstly on the NZS Co "K" boats before and after they were absorbed into Avenue Line. Sailed on the Ajana as 3rd Engineer from Port Pirie to Avonmouth in 1956.

Sid

judith george
30th August 2015, 05:39 PM
Hi Sid my Dad was on the Ashburton in 1954

judith

Des Taff Jenkins
31st August 2015, 01:24 AM
Hi Sid.
I was on the British Builder in Port Pirie at the same time as the Ajana in 56, A mate of mine fell of the foremast ended up in Port Pirie hospital for eight months.
Cheers Des

Des Taff Jenkins
31st August 2015, 01:38 AM
Hi Judith.
This is a picture of some mates taken on the Ashburton around the time your Dad was on it. On the left Glyn Brown, third along his brother Malcolm, in front of him is Albie James ; who on a later trip with me fell of a mast. the other two though I sailed with them I do not recall their names.
Cheers Des

Charlie Hannah
31st August 2015, 02:56 AM
I sailed in the Antrim, would have been around 68 or 69. Billy Bowers was the bosun good mate of mine i am still in touch with him and a few others off the Antrim good ship mates.Billy had to pay off Gerry Grifferd took over.Good job all round Great crowed all scouse crowed.

judith george
31st August 2015, 09:54 AM
Hi Des tried putting a photo of dad up but failed He was on the Ashburton from April till September 1954 was an AB would have been about 32 there are 3 photo's on here in a thread RE Help Research and info forum

judith

Christine Jones
6th July 2016, 06:38 PM
Hi Dave,
Have been absent from this site for some considerable time and have only just noticed your query on Trinder's ships. No one has mentioned the Ashburton.
I spent 5 years with Trinder's, 1954-58, firstly on the NZS Co "K" boats before and after they were absorbed into Avenue Line. Sailed on the Ajana as 3rd Engineer from Port Pirie to Avonmouth in 1956.

Sid

My father also sailed on the Ashburton from Swansea in August 1951. A long voyage - returning October 1952. His name is Bill Tuck if anyone may remember him.

David Williams
29th July 2017, 05:54 PM
We were on the sugar cane run to Townsville in Queensland.
Dave Williams

John Le Bretton
23rd May 2018, 07:15 PM
Yes I was on the Araluen we sailed from Newport to Sidney then on too Newport News Savana Port Piere Melbourne then down to New York back to Manchester where I paid off