PDA

View Full Version : assiduity

Geoff Anderson
11th July 2008, 09:42 AM
hi all .i did some time on the assiduity,anybody know whot happened to her?

Doc Vernon
11th July 2008, 09:55 AM
Hi,
Bit of info on that Ship.
Cheers
castleman:)

Tanker, 1,226gt.
Built 1964 by Goole SB & R Co.
as ASSIDUITY for F. T. Everard & Sons.
1983: VASILIKI V
2002: REGAL
2006: REGAL 32
Believed broken up after this

If you right click on Pic you will get a better view if opening in new Window!

Geoff Anderson
12th July 2008, 08:13 AM
hi castleman, thanks for the info,ive been looking for a photo of her for a long time.im new to this game and ill get her indoors , to put it in my photo file. my favourite saying is . if it got ---s ,wheels or wires ,its bound ot give you trouble best wishes .

Doc Vernon
12th July 2008, 08:39 AM
ref post #3

No worries mate, see in your messages,i have left some good sites for you.
Cheers
castleman:)

Geoff Anderson
12th July 2008, 10:16 AM
hi castleman.thanks for that. best wishes.:)

steve goldswain
24th October 2008, 07:50 AM
hi i was on the agility for a couple of wks had to do a bit of rock dodging till me sister got married :)

Doc Vernon
24th October 2008, 08:09 AM
Hi Steve,
Nice to see you hard at it mate,at this rate you will soon be of the Junior List haha!:D
Keep em coming! Thats the spirit!
Cheers

Geoff Anderson
24th October 2008, 08:38 AM
ref post#6

Hi STEVE.
i always renember the old adage ,What does a coasters crew do when they cant see land. Reply the same as deep sea crews when they see land. ANS = PANIC.HAHA
I was only on the Assiduity for a month waiting for Christmas. And that was long enough.:D
best wishes geoff.
PS What part of NZ you in,???? im just outside of MATATA.

Mike Parr
20th November 2008, 09:15 PM
Hi all i was on the Selectivity June 1964. One of Freds yellow perils. 14 in the crew.Had some great times ashore.Fist trip midship steward .Sick as a pig for the first week. Stayed for three months then went deep sea with shell tankers.

Neville Roberts
21st November 2008, 01:13 PM
anyone want too find out about old ships try the miramar ship index, loads of info on that site. good luck .Nev.

dontaylor2
5th January 2009, 04:43 PM
was on assiduity in late sixties when she was on mobil charter ,we were running up and down the east coast of UK from sunderland to coryton and sometimes gunness wharf .she was a good ship with loads of overtime.very hard run .

Geoff Anderson
5th January 2009, 07:14 PM
ref post #11
Hi Don.
ON the Asiduity dec 66, as i wanted to be home for Christmas. As you did east coast runs , Thameshaven gunness and paid off in Barry Christmas eve.As you said hard runs,When in Gunness i was always posted for night watchman as most the crew were from hull. always ended up doing the day work as well. As there was nobody on board. Hard slog doing 36/ 48 hrs without sleep as you had to check the mooring lines every 1/2 hr.And the old man made me stand my watches as well. Never mind, the o/t was good for Christmas.:D
Best wishes geoff.

dontaylor2
10th January 2009, 10:26 AM
hi geoff
i see your in n/z now did you emigrate out there. i ended up back on that mobil charter a few years later on AUDACITY she was quite new when i was on her but the the samewe were in and out even quicker than assiduity they had just fitted a new engine in goole which made her much faster also put new discharge pumps in,so once again loads of overtime ,problem was no loss of sleep payments on home trade articles
cheers don

Geoff Anderson
10th January 2009, 11:47 PM
Hi DON.
Good question as to how i came to NZ, always wanted to see NZ, the closest i got was OZ. so i came for a holiday and never went back.
Always amazed me of the crap we dumped in the north sea.As soon as we were clear of the coast on leaving Gunness was the to clear the bilges and dump approx 10 tons of petrol over the side. That was a definate no smoking time,that was how much the mate worked it out we lost through leakage from the tanks on the run up from Thames haven.:eek:
best wishes geoff:D

grcsavage
3rd March 2009, 03:54 PM
any one know what happed to the coaster mv emenity l was on her as ordenery seaman 1948 to 1949

Gulliver
3rd March 2009, 05:31 PM
ref post #15

Hi gcrsavage!
I think you mean AMENITY: She was broken up at Inverkeithing 16/5/68-after 24 years service.

IDNo: 1169705 Year: 1944
Name: AMENITY Launch Date: 14.9.43
Type: Cargo ship Date of completion: 1.44
Flag: GBR Keel:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tons: 881 Link: 1629
DWT: Yard No: 395
Length overall: Ship Design:
LPP: Country of build: GBR
Beam: Builder: Goole SB
Material of build: Location of yard: Goole
Number of
screws/Mchy/
Speed(kn):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval or paramilitary marking :
A: *
End: 1968

Subsequent History:

Disposal Data:
BU Inverkeithing 16.5.68

Gulliver

michaelr
12th March 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi done three weeks on Assiduity out of Gt Yarmouth happy to pay off
Michael

Mike Penfold
10th December 2009, 07:04 PM
hi all, was on the similarity,23 nov 1961 to jan 62:(

Mike Parr
6th January 2010, 06:17 PM
Any one know what became of everards SELECTIVITY. I sailed on her in 1964 for three months

Gulliver
8th January 2010, 07:28 AM
Hi Mike.According to Miramar Shipping Index,(which incidentally will be charging an annual modest subscription fee from Jan.19th),the Selectivity(of 1952) was sold to D.Marmaris in 1975 being renamed IOANNIS.
On 16/1/85 she was wrecked in 5-46 N,0-29.5 E.
(That's virtually on the beach,east of Tema in Ghana,West Africa)

Gulliver

Mike Parr
10th January 2010, 04:03 PM
thanks for the info Gulliver.been looking for ages unawere of the name change.

Regards mike

Pedro1207
23rd January 2010, 05:42 PM
Many thanks for the info and picture. New to this site.

I sailed as a 'cabin boy' back in 1971 during my six week school holiday. ( could never do it these days) Joined her at Coryton Refinery and sailed up and down the East Coast. paid off in Kings Lynn. Ipswich was the first port of call. Went back to school and then rejoined Everards to get discharge book after leaving school then went deep sea. Sailed on The Duchess and Frivolity before going deep sea.:)

dontaylor2
7th February 2010, 08:48 PM
hi pedro
you and many others got disharge books through everard ships , a good company as were alot of other coasting companies for getting away to sea without going through a sea school, i myself getting mine when i joined GSNC ,MARSWORTH in goole where i live back in 1966 .great britain had a large fleet back then [ what happened to it ?] i wonder.
don

kurutai
7th March 2010, 04:57 PM
I was in the Spontaneity for a short time i could not wait to get out of her coal dust in my mattress when i joined her .

peter mccann
14th March 2010, 05:01 PM
:) i am glad to see somebody other than myself went to sea before getting a discharge book .in my case i shipped out with doreys of guernsey on the portelet a 900 ton collier in april 1956 .i was on her for 4 months .i left her and went to the pool for a deep water berth . all i had was my weekly pay slips .they laughed and said you are bound for the vindicatrix sea school . the vindi was a piece of cake after 4 months on a collier .i did go deep water afterwards with smiths of cardiff on the indian city . the end of november 1956 . peter mccann r664235

Darrell Kellett
22nd July 2010, 10:41 PM
Hi Folks I did six weeks on the Aureity, what a heap of junk, the quadrent on the steering gear had three teeth missing steered like like a drunken cow, the Decca navigator kept breaking down, and we steered point to point, spent three days in Gravesend steam cleaning the tanks, my skin was like rubber for weeks,
The old man was an 7 day adventist would not allow swearing or booze on the ship.I was lucky I did not get D.R.ed, as I had words with him one night crossing to the Hook,ended up having him by the throat, he made me do 4 hour stint on the wheel for getting drunk, I was glad to see Hull. Keep the stories coming, its great reading, Best wishes Darrell Kellett.:mad::eek:

Charles Bryan
28th July 2010, 09:16 PM
i sailed on the Alchymist,regular run to the Channel Islands great skipper and crew,also sailed on Ethel everard on the Casablanca Kings Lynn run with phosphates,and signality running up to Norwich ,all great jobs and fond memories Kalibah Charles

Tom Abernethy
28th July 2010, 10:17 PM
Hi mike,
i joined the selectivity in blyth on 5/12 60, i had to pay off at greenhithe due to an accident i had at plymouth. We were moveing bearths and i was a young ,keen o.s.
Climbing the mainmast to hook up the whistle string. The whistle string had no lanyard
so i was climbing one handed. Well i missed a rung,( only one ) and with a blast from the
whistle i landed flat on my back on the winch island, luckyly missing the winches.
I was carried from plymouth to greenhithe aboard her on full pay. One of the directors cars, with a uniformed driver, took me to kings cross, the driver had orders
to stay with me untill my train left for doncaster.my old man m et me on the station. I had broke a bone in my foot but it turned out ok and i joined the supremity in drydock at
goole 2 months later. It was a shame, i used to like the yellow perils.i was on three always foreign going.good days.
All the best,
tom aber........:d:d:d

len mazza
2nd August 2010, 07:03 AM
HELLO ALL
The Similarity was my first ship after leaving Gravesend S.S..Joined in Goole feb' '55,paid off in Goole
Sep' 55.Regular run from Goole to Kingswear in Devon.Abit of an eye opener for a very green young'n.

Cheers,Len.

cyril
13th August 2010, 08:31 PM
hi, wondered where the box of toys were hiding, 1986, my last ship, the city, sat on greenhithe station waiting for the wife to bring my last bit of kit, a tesco carrier bag with 2 pairs of socks, 1 pair of underpants all my worldly goods. you know how it is, have to come from newcastle to greenhithe, your on a railway station and your thinking i cant carry this f-ing case anothern yard, idea if i throw it over a hedge i can pick it up later. so pissed on ossy white and vodka, couldnt remember which hedge it was.a rather sad end to 16 yrs at sea, but i thought it was better for me to finish with the sea than the sea to finish with me. was on the old selectivity 71 or 2 was cook on the new selectivity. cook on the doris1 remember her. my name is cyril, be nice to catch up.

happy daze john in oz
14th August 2010, 05:35 AM
G'day cyril, great yarn that one. Do you have alist of the ships you sailed on maybe with some dates? If you do and care to list them on site you may well get to hear from some who knew you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.

Doc Vernon
29th August 2010, 07:20 PM
Ref to Post #19

Hi Mike
Here is rundown on that Ship!
Cheers

Single Ship Report for "5319664"

IDNo:5319664 (http://www.merchant-navy.net/ship/list?IDNo=5319664&search_op=OR)Year:1952Name:SELECTIVITYKeel:Type:Ca rgo shipLaunch Date:10.4.52Flag:GBRDate of completion:7.52
1919, standard 1920> - for SS surface dp">Tons:1919, standard 1920> - for SS surface dp">1575Link:1328 (http://www.merchant-navy.net/shipyard/list?link=1328)DWT:1850Yard No:502Length overall:73.4Ship Design:LPP:68.7Country of build:GBRBeam:11.6Builder:Grangemouth DYMaterial of build:Location of yard:GrangemouthNumber of
screws/Mchy/
Speed(kn):1D-10.5
Naval or paramilitary marking :A:*End:1985
Subsequent History:

75 IOANNIS
Disposal Data:

wrecked 5.46N/00.29.30E 16.1.85 [Tema-Apapa]

Doc Vernon
29th August 2010, 08:30 PM
REF Post #15
Hi
grcsavage!

Here is a Pic of AMENITY

Cheers

Pedro1207
13th September 2010, 07:35 PM
I sailed as cabin boy on Assiduity back in the early 70's whilst awaiting to go to college. joined her at Coryton Refinery goiing up the East coast for about six weeks - Ipswich, Kings Lynn, Immingham, Sunderland and back to Ipswich. I had a great time as the cook was taken off in Ipswich. I went back to school and on to Fleetwood Nautical College and then deep sea.

I cant remember much else:)

Pedro1207
13th November 2010, 01:48 PM
Don

Apologies for delayed reply............have not been on this site for a long time

Regards

Pedro

Peter Cartwright
17th November 2020, 04:09 PM
hi pedro
you and many others got disharge books through everard ships , a good company as were alot of other coasting companies for getting away to sea without going through a sea school, i myself getting mine when i joined GSNC ,MARSWORTH in goole where i live back in 1966 .great britain had a large fleet back then [ what happened to it ?] i wonder.
don
Sorry for delayed reply. I went from Assiduity to Fleetwood Nautical College studied navigation & Seamanship. Failed the exams so then went to Everards then 31/2 years deep sea. Yes where have all the ships gone ? Containerisation ! Now retired, but would love to do one more trip - stay well