PDA

View Full Version : mv Hertford

Brian Probetts (Site Admin)
11th February 2012, 12:42 PM
Be real chuffed to hear from anyone who was on Hertford in 1965/66.

Brian Probetts - Second Steward.

Michael Lawrence
21st February 2012, 12:49 PM
Brian. I was 2nd/Stwd on her in 60/61. Last trip I done with the company as got married in March 61 and went ashore, lasted 6weeks and joined one of Houlders, 'Shaftsbury' stayed on her for a year back and forth to Sth America and then became 2/Stwd on their 'Newbury' fair ship but the crew mostly from Wales (Cardiff) and brought their squables with 'em. Next time home the W.R. said ashore or finish and so began a career in the Post Office.:D:LolLolLolLol::grouphug:

24th February 2012, 12:41 AM
Michael..

I was on the Hertford a few years after you, Captain Dell was the master and George Ford the Chief Steward.

Brian.

Michael Lawrence
24th February 2012, 11:36 AM
Brian. Captain Dell was Master on her in 60/61 and 'Nobby' Clark was C/Stwd. They took him into hospital in our 1st port of call Auckland, but because I was just 21 they put a more experienced 2nd on with me. He done the discipline and I looked after the bookwork until 'Nobby' was fit enough to rejoin us. Crikey how time flys.:D:grouphug::rofl:

moktay
27th February 2012, 02:58 AM
I joined her the month you left, we went to Australia and Tasmania, the only 2 photos I have from my MN days were taken on that trip

28th February 2012, 11:34 PM
George Ford Chief Steward - John Bright (Chuckles) Chief Engineer - Jack Hill Chief Freezer - Davey ? - Cook.
Had some good times whilst on Hertford but I was keen on promotion so left her and went to Rangitoto as Extra Second Steward.

John Palmer
18th January 2013, 12:27 PM
Some great reading. I joined Hertford as Asst Steward for one trip return trip to NZ via the Continent (late1959 I think) after 15 months on the MANZ run on the WHANGAROA. Later I did 2 trips on the CAMBRIDGE ( she then went to Japan to be broken up. . .very sad) and then I was sent to Falmouth to join the HINAKURA , as 2nd Steward. It had just undergone a refit so was one hell of a mess and I could just imagine Mr Reid in Royal Albert Dock NZSCo Offices, laughing his head off! 'Timber' Woods joined in London as Chief Steward and, as Training Chief Steward,sat on his bottom most of the trip giving orders over his pink gins. One trip was enough so back in London I joined the CORNWALL for my final voyage. . and have lived in Australia since. Altogether I was with NZSCo for about 10 years. My first trip was in 1954 on the RANGITANE, then RUAHINE, RANGITOTO, OTAKI, and as mentioned the WHANGAROA. Looking back it was an almost unbelievable lifestyle. . and one which very much enriched my life and I'm thankful for.

Glenn Baker
18th January 2013, 10:25 PM
Im pretty certain that Ding dong Dell gave out a few DR,s on that fateful trip discribed, about 1964 65, I jimmy Duggan and a Howard Brown known as Bobbalouy both collected DRs in their books, Ive been trying to trace both of these men , one married in Southend Jimmy Duggan i think, and have no idea where Howard Brown ended up. The DR,s virtually destroyed their deep sea Careers , and last i heard they were rock dodging around the British coast.
Captain Ding Dong Dell was pretty well known for his DR,s and his attitude.

18th January 2013, 11:34 PM
The late Captain Dell was a rather strange man.
I was the Second Steward and on one occasion in Auckland he chewed my rear end off after an inspection and then gave me ten bob to go ashore 'to the cinema'

George Ford, the Chief Steward was something else.

j.sabourn
19th January 2013, 01:31 AM
I suppose there were quite a few eccentric persons at sea, no doubt a factor of this was the long periods of isolation, no doubt even worse now by the ever decreasing crews on ships. This eccentricity when applied to the master was more noticeable. I was with one who on Sunday morning inspection used to go around the crews quarters with white gloves. His pet fault however was the taps in the washbasins and the drain hole in same. Had to be polished and if not would get the seaman to do and if not satisfactory on return would threaten to log same. I questioned the legality of this after the inspections, when C/E, Ch. Stwd. and self were back in his cabin for the usual Sunday morning in his cabin. His reply was the usual pompous answer, in words in short he could do as he wanted. Another one was I was told who when on leave did the same with his wife, who was a small person, he ran his finger along the top of the wardrobe and told her to get it dusted. She didnt, so he picked her up and put her on top of wardrobe and wouldnt let her down until she had done.This was told to me by a reliable source. Plenty of eccentric people at sea who we put down in most cases as characters. I know what most of our wives would have done if we had tried the same. Regards John Sabourn P.S. Ref the post worse Xmas at sea, the person who described the Rosewood and the murder off the Chilean coast will know who I am referring to as regards the white gloves. John sabourn

happy daze john in oz
19th January 2013, 05:30 AM
Swivel Eye Lloyd of UCL was well known for the white glove treatment. On inspection his tiger had to follow along with a sliver salver full of them, reckon he could see more out of his one eye than some of us with two.

leratty
19th January 2013, 09:59 AM
I was an app on Hertford in 63-4 Capt. was OK to us as I recall, though of course we were to a degree in awe of him & C/O but then I was very naive still & it was only my 2nd trip. 6 months as I recall but do remember the bull s just so over the top & out dated. I remember at my first meal aboard, sat next to an engineer I think & my eyes were, as they often are at that tender age, bigger than my stomach, I was packing it but the engineer kindly leaned over to me & whispered in my ear 'don't worry you don't have to eat it all now' JC was I relieved. Richard

danny
24th February 2014, 06:02 AM
Paid of Hertford in New Plymouth 11-11-63 skipper was Dell.

Keith Moody
24th February 2014, 04:01 PM
reply to thread #7

john Palmer, were you on the Ruahine between dec.1955 and aug. 1956. your name sounds familier. I was a Bellboy on her at this time working the childrens restuaunt with Dennis Holttum and Tiggy Blanchard and i think the other one was a guy named smith. I beleive the chief steward was Green. after 2 trips with us, he told 4 of us out of the 6 that we would not be coming back for a 3rd trip. good accomodation and food and a good crew except for a couple of scousers who after a few drinks wanted to fight the world, but when sober were great chaps.
keith moody
R635978

KiwiPaddy
15th October 2014, 07:40 PM
Hi Brian,

I doubt you will remember me. I was Stewards Boy from about June to October 1966. I signed on in Kiwi. I joined the ship in Nelson, though I'm from Wellington. I was mostly called 'Kiwi' though some decided to name me 'Curry' because the other stewards boy was named Rice and he too was a Kiwi. We didn't get on. He had a tendency to be pain. The rest of the crew was magic. I got on especially well with Benny, the Galley Boy. I'm terrible with names but I remember faces and I remember the 2nd Steward. Was that you? 😊

George Ford, the Chief Steward I remember. A scary man when you've just turned 15! I remember Tiger but not his name, except that he told me his middle name was Mary, not uncommon for the Irish to give their boys a girls middle name, he said.

Hope to have a chat Brian. But I'm not keen on public forums. Perhaps you could email me one day.

Regards,

Patrick T Kent

John Ormand
20th October 2015, 04:57 AM
Brian,
I was one of three engineer apprentices on the Hertford I think in the mid 60's for two trips. I was on the voyage that the Black Cat bar was built. Roger Dell was the Captain and John Agnew was the 1st Officer. John Bright a Kiwi was the Chief Engineer. I think the trip was double header and I remember leaving crew in Hobart because they would come back on board by sailing time, preferred drinking. Any other information at the moment is vague. Any help? I enjoyed this ship.

20th October 2015, 11:38 AM
Good Morning John,

I was on the Hertford for three voyages from Jan 1965 until March 1966.

Roger Dell was Captain and John Agnew was 1st Officer. John Bright, popularly known as 'Chuckles' was the Chief Engineer.

I too remember the Black Rat bar, I was made an honorary member of that, only honorary because it was for officers only and I was the Second Steward.

Nearly forgot to mention my great mate, Jack Hill, Chief of all the refrigeration officers, quaffed more than a few G & T's with him.

Brian.

Mike Hall
4th February 2016, 03:06 PM
Hi Brian,
Can you remember the ports that you visited between 1965 and 1966.

4th February 2016, 03:43 PM
Crikey! Are you kiddin Mike - I can't remember where I went yesterday!

Brian.

Hi Brian,
Can you remember the ports that you visited between 1965 and 1966.

cappy
4th February 2016, 03:50 PM
###what was the question again...lol...regards cappy
Crikey! Are you kiddin Mike - I can't remember where I went yesterday!

Brian.

Mike Hall
4th February 2016, 04:00 PM
But you can remember some of the crew names,so
your memory can not be all that bad.
Would you have sailed from London or liverpool.?

John Raydon Thomas
26th July 2019, 03:29 PM
Im pretty certain that Ding dong Dell gave out a few DR,s on that fateful trip discribed, about 1964 65, I jimmy Duggan and a Howard Brown known as Bobbalouy both collected DRs in their books, Ive been trying to trace both of these men , one married in Southend Jimmy Duggan i think, and have no idea where Howard Brown ended up. The DR,s virtually destroyed their deep sea Careers , and last i heard they were rock dodging around the British coast.
Captain Ding Dong Dell was pretty well known for his DR,s and his attitude.

I was AB in the MV Essex in 1969, Dell master and Butch Charlesworth as mate. A 11 month double- header, UK NZ USA AUS UK. A happy ship in spite of those two!