PDA

View Full Version : ships ashore

Nils Dahl
9th February 2012, 05:33 PM
When reading my local newspaper I came across an article about the bencleuch.
It seems that after the ship was broken up by P&W McLennan in the upper forth in 1972, the officers' smokeroom was detached and landed ashore to become the clubhouse of the upper Forth boat club.
Ships' lifeboats also became the most numerous vessels of the sailing clubs' membership.
I had often heard of ships' lifeboats and ships timbers and paneling being sold off to pivate buyers but has anyone heard of other instances of ships being scavenged for use ashore ?

John Arton
10th February 2012, 07:48 PM
Hi
There's a hotel in north Northumberland that has rooms panelled with the fittings etc. from the Titanics sister ship.
The Olympic i believe
rgds
John

Des Taff Jenkins
12th February 2012, 05:50 AM
Hi Nils.
It has puzzled me what happened to ships lifeboats when the ships were broken up, there must have been hundreds back in the 50s,60s and 70s. I suppose they would have been sold off for pleasure craft. I read some books by a Tritstan Jones who traveled up around Norway and through the canals in France on an old lieboat, with his three legged dog Nelson.
Cheers Des
:th_thth5952deef:

Nils Dahl
12th February 2012, 06:58 PM
hi Des, I remember lots of naval craft waiting for the breakers at faslane in the 40's & 50's.
I also heard one ( don't know if it's true ) of a couple of Irish guys buying a lifeboat in Scotland and sailing it home.
They apparently used steel pipes filled with sand for ballast but encountered bad weather on the way and were in big trouble until they were rescued

Ivan Cloherty
12th February 2012, 08:29 PM
They apparently used steel pipes filled with sand for ballast

Lifeboats were a pig to sail, remember when us 4 cadets heaviest of which was 8st wringing wet had to take them out for practice, used to fill the bottom with old gin blocks to try and give them a bit of stability, it was like trying to sail a brick and we were under strict instructions to bring them back under the davits under sail, oars not allowed, eh what a lot of fun :mad: we had, I think not

Memories don't you just luv em :rolleyes:

pauljarvis
13th November 2017, 05:55 PM
It's the White Swan Hotel in Alnwick.

Keith at Tregenna
13th November 2017, 06:04 PM
The trevessa lifeboat at Wembley.

LINK: THE TREVESSA LIFEBOAT AT WEMBLEY (http://www.studygroup.org.uk/Archives/41/THE%20TREVESSA%20LIFEBOAT%20AT%20WEMBLEY.htm)

S.S. "TREVESSA" (LIFEBOAT).
HC Deb 27 May 1924 vol 174 c195

16. Viscount CURZON asked the President of the Board of Trade whether he is aware that the boat belonging to the s.s. "Trevessa" is at the British Empire Exhibition, presumably to commemorate one of the finest feats of seamanship ever performed in the mercantile marine; and whether he can take steps to ensure that this boat is exhibited in surroundings and in a manner worthy of it, and preserved for the nation subsequently?

Mr. WEBB I am aware that one of the boats of the "Trevessa" is being exhibited at Wembley, and if the Noble Lord will he good, enough to tell me what he has in mind, I will look into the matter. I doubt whether it will be possible to arrange for the permanent exhibition of this boat.

Viscount CURZON Is the right hon. Gentleman aware that this boat is, at present sitting on the top of a rubbish heap?

S.S. "TREVESSA" (LIFEBOAT). (Hansard, 27 May 1924) (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1924/may/27/ss-trevessa-lifeboat)

Bengy Roberts
13th November 2017, 06:37 PM
When reading my local newspaper I came across an article about the bencleuch.

Ships' lifeboats also became the most numerous vessels of the sailing clubs' membership.
I had often heard of ships' lifeboats and ships timbers and paneling being sold off to pivate buyers but has anyone heard of other instances of ships being scavenged for use ashore ?

Nils,my friend drinks in the yachting club in dalgety bay,is this the same place,if so i will e.mail him,i sailed with ben line myself,and this would be interesting to know,,good thread BENGY

- - - Updated - - -

if true i will go up and see him,for drink

Keith at Tregenna
13th November 2017, 06:54 PM
DUCHESS OF BEDFORD / EMPRESS OF FRANCE

She was built by John Brown & Co Ltd, Glasgow in 1928 for Canadian Pacific SS Ltd. She was a 20,123 gross ton ship, length 601ft x beam 75.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 580-cabin, 480-tourist and 510-3rd class.

The Duchess of Bedford, called "the most bombed ship still afloat", was a very lucky ship. During World War II, she sank a U-boat, damaged another, was shot at and bombed on a number of occassions, and once struck an iceberg without sustaining damage.

DUCHESS OF BEDFORD (http://www.duchessofbedford.com/)

Later renamed EMPRESS OF FRANCE

On the 19th December 1960 she leaves Liverpool for her final voyage to the breaker's John Cashmore of Newport, Monmouthshire, South Wales.

Her Empress bar was taken from the yard and became the Empress bar at the Barry Hotel, Barry, Glamorgan.

Not to be confused with the Barry Dock Hotel, this dock bar was known worldwide as the "Chain Locker".

Sadly the Empress bar is no more and the Barry Hotel is now an apartment block.

The site of the old "Chain Locker" is now a care home.

Hopefully, the Welsh brewing chain held on to artifacts and to find out more is one of my next jobs on my list.

K.

Bengy Roberts
13th November 2017, 07:01 PM
Keith,you are one busy person,BENGY

Keith at Tregenna
13th November 2017, 08:48 PM
It was reported a few years ago that the Ministry of Defence bought back HMS Ark Royal scrap parts to fix HMS Illustrious.

SCRAPYARD parts from a 'destroyed' warship have been used to rebuild bits of the HMS Illustrious to save money, it was revealed.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
13th November 2017, 09:38 PM
As you say: "One would think".

Keith.

Keith at Tregenna
13th November 2017, 11:43 PM
Know where to go for car parts ?

K.

Colin Wood
14th November 2017, 04:33 AM
Moller of London & Hong Kong were the same. They had a few ships anchored out the back of Lan Tau island and if you needed any spares you went there and got them All spares were charged to the ship getting them and credited to the ship they came from. They had ships in lay up showing a handy profit.