PDA

View Full Version : TRINDER ANDERSON /MV Arrino

Dave Cartwright
9th July 2008, 02:37 PM
Hi,
Anyone sail on the MV Arrino to South America late 70s?

dave smith
15th November 2008, 06:59 PM
joined in hamburg 13 7 77 paid of lpool 25 8 77 just a quick run job we loaded for chili

Donnie the Greek
2nd March 2009, 02:41 PM
Hi DavyC,

I sailed as a Junior Engineer1976 to 1978,both coastal and deep sea through the Panama Canal to Ecuador, Peru and Chile. Captains Murray and Guerrier.

Dave Cartwright
27th August 2009, 08:29 PM
Hi Donnie,
Yeah I think I remember you, do you remeber Mick the Lecky? and Mick the Chief Cook?

Dave.

Doc Vernon
27th August 2009, 09:40 PM
Hi DavyC
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

Also"

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
Thank you

Please go to following Link

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

Kev Witt
10th January 2010, 08:16 AM
Hi
I joined Arrino march 1976 in Marsielles for a trip to the gulf then two weeks in Mauritius loading sugar for UK. Re-joined for a trip to South America Equador,Peru Chile I paid off December 1976. Cooks were Mick and Bert, Bosun was John Manley and I think the lampy was Pat (paddy) It was my first trip to sea and I have great memories especially Chile, many thanks to those who got this great web-site up and running,regards Kev

Doc Vernon
10th January 2010, 08:49 AM
Hi Kev and Donnie the greek!and Dave Smith
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

Also"

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
Thank you

Please go to following Link and follow instructions there
When page opens Click on Contact info on Right and on dropdown list select
Send a message via Email to Mike Hall

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/member.php?u=8

Alternatively you can send your details to me as well and i will pass them on to Mike for you
Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/member.php?u=18

If any new Members (or old) would like more info on the Flag Projects please click on the following Link!
Thank you

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=558

happy daze john in oz
11th January 2010, 04:57 AM
G'day Kev and welcome to the site. If you have a list of ships you sailed on complete with dates and care to list them you may well get to hear from some who knew you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.:eek:

aussie
11th January 2010, 06:31 AM
Hi Donny, Captain Murray still going in '78!! Sailed with him in 1971-72 on Antrim. Lets just say not my favourite skipper!!! Sailed with Luck next trip. Great guy. Cheers Aussie

Marconiman
27th January 2010, 03:18 PM
Hi, joined Arrino in '75 as radio man.
Joined Columbo, coasted down the E. side of Africa various ports mixed cargo. S. Africa, Durban, Capetown, maybe Port Elizabeth, can't remember. S.A. to Chile thru the Magellan. Up the W. coast of Chile, Peru, Ecuador. Thru the canal, Curacao, Aruba across to New Orleans, a couple of ports in the sourthern USA then to NYC and over to Spain where I paid off.. Great trip. 6 months to the day. Paid off skint.
M.

Edmund
30th March 2010, 03:15 PM
Hi there

mid-70's any good? I was on Arrino (as cadet) from 74 to 75, doing the Chile run...

all the best
edmund

roberto cecere
12th April 2010, 10:00 PM
Hi I was junior engineer 76 to 77

roberto cecere
12th April 2010, 10:10 PM
hi i was on that trip but we paid off liverpool25-07-77

Dave Cartwright
11th June 2010, 08:31 PM
Finally got a few pics of the Arrino, to view them join my Facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=6082546&id=801803297

Timparr
9th October 2010, 04:47 PM
Joined the Arino in 75 just after sea trials. Earlier I sailed on the Galway, Antrim and Donegal.
I can remember The Seychelles with Capain Luck, others on that trip were Steve Davis, Billy Veitch, Seamus Mercer, Chief Eng, Horsfield, and Dalwrimple, Bob Burslem, Don Devoy, Pete Goss (Ausie Pete) , great times:)

Michael Robertson
3rd September 2012, 04:00 AM
Hi all, I was lucky enough to do my very first trip to sea as a deck cadet on the Arrino's maiden voyage in Dec 1974
sea trials off Sunderland and then around Europe before heading to S America. She was on charter with PSNC - Chilean company.
Amazing reception in Chile as we were one of the first ships after the whole Pinochet business.
in a strange twist of fate I was invited on to the sail training ship Esmeralda last month as guest of the Chilean govt here in Sydney.
she was used a lot during the 'bad years' as a torture ship. nowadays she is used as a sail training vessel by the Chilean Navy.
Anyway, after 3 trips on the Arrino I then sailed on the maiden voyage of her twin the 'Ajana' and then the Armidale.
At the end of my cadetship Trinder Anderson/Australind SS co was taken over by P&O and I moved on to better things - as you do.
Ironically I never went to Australia which is why I ended up here in Sydney after a holiday 10 years ago - recently I thought it might be good to get a local Australian 'ticket' so I could do some commercial work. The Aussies refused to recognise my UK Masters ticket and I had to resit all the exams - the irony was that the we always had Australians on board the British ships without any restrictions.
Struggling to remember the crew but big Mick was the cook and the skipper was a small guy from Cardiff or Swansea.

Ivan Cloherty
3rd September 2012, 08:15 AM
. She was on charter with PSNC - Chilean company.

Not a Chilean company Michael, but one of the oldest British companies being granted a Royal Charter in 1840 to carry mails and business to South America's West Coast, for many years no other British company could carry cargoes originating within the UK to WCSA and lets face it most of the goods in those days were made in Britain. Before 1840 PSNC were already running a service to Australia with 2 or 3 small 900 to 1500 tonne vessels, they also ran a service before the Panama Canal was opened running a service to Cristobal and transporting goods by train (and mules) to Balboa and reshipping them down the west coast. Recommended reading.........."The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough ISBN-13 978-0-671-24409-5

Kind regards

Ivan ex PSNC the 1950's

Peter Trinder
19th November 2014, 05:19 PM
It is great to read of you seafarers who sailed on Arrino, My wife launched her at A&P and the ship then went on 2 years charter to CSAV (Chilean). This was during the time H Wilson (PM) had blacked chile, nevertheless we never had any problems there and I was given to understand the crew enjoyed their time on the coast. I know the many football matches were arranged with the local agents, mainly because of the injured crew members who had to be flown home. Peter Trinder

Ivan Cloherty
19th November 2014, 05:23 PM
My father Ivan Cloherty R96096 was bosu'n on the Galway and Araluen, he was on another one but will have to check my records

Michael Robertson
20th November 2014, 12:30 AM
Hi Ed
I was thinking about you the other day - wish I'd checked this website before. I'm now living in Sydney and in Sept came home with my family (2 small kids for their first visit to UK) and drove from Brighton to my brothers house in Emsworth. stopped at Arundel castle (forgotten how good it is). Where are you living these days? did you stay at sea?
I left in 86 after working in North Sea doing rigmoves. married, had daughter, divorced, had furniture business and then migrated downunder in 96. Still enjoy sailing on yachts and hold a local masters ticket just in case. Fond memories of running down to SA - used to go back on reefers and had a great time. Michael Robertson

Michael Robertson
20th November 2014, 12:40 AM
Hi Peter
I've just responded to Ed. we were the 2 deck cadets on Arrino's maiden voyage and joined her in Sunderland for the sea trials and the next 3 subsequent trips to Chile. Great welcome in Chile - I remember going to the main square in Santiago for their first anniversary with the radio guy who had ginger hair - the local girls kept pulling his hair!
great trips down the coast with about a dozen ports of call. Capt Guerrier(?), Big Mick was the cook, all the crew were Geordies which meant lots of drinking and great stottie bread for smoko. I finished my cadetship with Trinder Anderson , maiden voyage on Ajana and also sailed on Armidale (great ship).Left when taken over by P&O and did Masters whilst sailing with Star Offshore in Aberdeen. What a great trip down memory lane. Best wishes. Michael Robertson

Red Lead Ted
20th November 2014, 12:32 PM
Good to see a lot of the new lads on the site sharing their experiences. So as most replies on this thread are from the guys off the bridge, If Vern doesn't mind I will pose you a Q, What order could I or any other member of the deck crew from deck boy to Able Seaman give to the ships captain, Which he will adhere to. I gave the order to the skipper on two occasions while on deck once as O.S. once as A.B. :confused:, And on those two occasions the Captain adhered to it Regards lads Terry ex A.B. :pat_head:

John Arton
20th November 2014, 01:29 PM
Good to see a lot of the new lads on the site sharing their experiences. So as most replies on this thread are from the guys off the bridge, If Vern doesn't mind I will pose you a Q, What order could I or any other member of the deck crew from deck boy to Able Seaman give to the ships captain, Which he will adhere to. I gave the order to the skipper on two occasions while on deck once as O.S. once as A.B. :confused:, And on those two occasions the Captain adhered to it Regards lads Terry ex A.B. :pat_head:
"shift your butt {or words to that effect} you are blocking my {the helmsman} view"
rgds
JA

Red Lead Ted
20th November 2014, 04:50 PM
"shift your butt {or words to that effect} you are blocking my {the helmsman} view"
rgds
JA

John, This is not a trick Q, Mate I am serious while you are under the Captain,s command he will adhere to this order drunk or sober by any of the deck crew :confused: Terry.

j.sabourn
21st November 2014, 08:21 AM
Man overboard. JS

j.sabourn
21st November 2014, 08:36 AM
#16.. Michael did you have to sit all the papers again re certification. It must have been started after my time in 91. Entailed an oral examination with a surveyor. See by your profile you had the distinction of sailing with Wimpy"s. I was on the Sealion, Seawolf, Seafox, Seadog, before seeing the light and going for the next 8 years with Seaforth Maritime, You must have been in Oz when the Wimpy Seahorse was working out here, she was a fairly new ship in my time and was sent down with the fleet during the Falklands war, Mickey Slack was skipper on her I believe. I think there may have been another Wimpy boat as well went. Think though not sure they were based off south Georgia to tow any damaged ships away. All the best John S

John Arton
21st November 2014, 09:46 AM
John, This is not a trick Q, Mate I am serious while you are under the Captain,s command he will adhere to this order drunk or sober by any of the deck crew :confused: Terry.
Terry
My answer was pertaining to steering when under pilotage where you are not on compass headings but steering on andmarks. There were a number of times I had to order the pilot and captain to move as they were blocking my view forward when I was on the helm coming into port. Pilot and Captains had a tendency to stand midships in front of the helmsman thus blocking the helmsmans view fwd.
As JS says the only other occasion I can think of is the man overboard call.
As an aside, one class of small chemical tanker I was on had to carry two pilots up the MSC as the engine and bow thruster controls were in a offset pod on the stbd side of the bridge along with the radars etc. Allthough the MSC pilots do not take over command legally, like Panama canal pilots, for most of the ships transiting the MSC the pilots not ony steer but also control engine and bow thruster {if fitted} movements. As the ships I was on then had only minimum manning, going up the canal there would only be myself, pilot and on duty mate on the bridge and when it came to the actual berthing or unberthing there would only be myself and the pilot and I would take over the controls on the bridge wing and do the manoeuvring myself.
rgds
JA

cappy
21st November 2014, 10:30 AM
or terry when the steward yells out the serving hatch ......dont eat the fish captain.....regards cappy:rolleyes:

j.sabourn
21st November 2014, 02:58 PM
How about your wifes on the quay, get rid of the girl friend. JS

Tom McQuade
24th November 2014, 01:15 PM
Hello,Michael I was also on the Arrino on its maiden voyage.I was 4/eng and did two trips on her.I see from your post your struggling to remember the names of the other guys on board,which is not surprising for a first tripper,especially on that run,you must have felt like a dog with the two proverbial whatsits!!!! Here are afew names that may jog your memory.Capt Pat Guerrier,mate I'm not sure 2mate David Mcnamarra,3mate Tony Lowe bosun John Manley,R/o Paul Barrat C/eng J Scott 2nd Eng John Warnock 3rd eng Jim Watt elect was Michael ??(Greek/Cyp Aussie known throughout the Co as Skippy,the other cadet Edmund,for some reason I remember calling Ted.Cheers Tom McQuade.

Red Lead Ted
24th November 2014, 04:53 PM
Lads, As you all are aware, If you are away for xmas on articles at sea or alongside, It is protocol for the deck officers to serve the deck crew with xmas dinner seen as a thank you gesture to the ships deck crew, As did the Engineering Officers with the Engine room ratings, And the Catering Officers for the catering ratings. On the two occasions I was away for xmas Once tied up in Bombay, The other off the coast of Africa, All the deck crew where sat in our mess and in walked the deck officers with xmas dinner meals on wheels, I directly ordered my lunch from the skipper putting it to him it will be the only time I could ever give him an order that he will carry out. He of course with a { wry smile } Obliged. An order is an order John Terry. :grouphug:

Captain Kong
24th November 2014, 08:28 PM
After being at sea for the best part of 40 years it never happened except Once, that was on the Empress of France alongside in St Johns, New Brunswick, 1958, All hands went into the Passengers saloon and were waited on by Engineers and Mates. I still have the menu somewhere here.
All the other ships, over 39 Xmas`s, Crabs Nada. lucky to get our pound and pint on some.
6ozs of fresh offal and 6ozs of brackish water , per man , per day , perhaps.
Cheers
Brian

Keith Tindell
24th November 2014, 08:48 PM
I also had 6 Xmas`s at sea, and never once served by the deck officers in the crews messroom, skipper did come round with the Mate and dish out a tot and wished a merry Xmas, sounds like you served in a good company terry !!!, KT

Red Lead Ted
24th November 2014, 11:41 PM
Keith, One an Anchor boat, The other Harrisons, Sounds to me like you drew the short straw Keith .:) p.s. Not restricted to passenger ships I was aboard 2 cargo ships. Terry.

Christmas for the Crew on Board Queen Mary 2 We Are Cunard (http://wearecunard.com/2012/01/christmas-for-the-crew-on-board-queen-mary-2/)

Bob Hollis
25th November 2014, 09:39 AM
Pat Guerrier was Capt. when I was on Araluen, John Manly was AB and took over from me as Bosun. With Pat as old man I'm not surprised you cannot remember the name of the official Mate. Pat always liked to do both jobs.

John Arton
25th November 2014, 10:07 AM
Re. Christmas at sea.
My very first trip to sea included Christmas at sea and the officers all served the crew their Christmas dinners, this was a tradition I saw and carried on right up to the day I left the sea, regardless of what nationality I was sailing with.
rgds
JA

cappy
25th November 2014, 10:25 AM
Re. Christmas at sea.
My very first trip to sea included Christmas at sea and the officers all served the crew their Christmas dinners, this was a tradition I saw and carried on right up to the day I left the sea, regardless of what nationality I was sailing with.
rgds
JA#####5 xmases at sea got a tot or a beer never got dinner served regards cappy

Red Lead Ted
25th November 2014, 11:16 PM
Re. Christmas at sea.
rgds
JA

Cheers for that John, I was beginning to think I had dreamt it. Terry. ;)

Ivan Cloherty
26th November 2014, 08:09 AM
When I was on 'Samanco' Christmas day the officers served the passengers, stewards and cook in the officers saloon, the old man sat with the stewards, didn't happen on every PSNC ship, 'Samanco' and 'Sarmiento' only carried three passengers

Dennis McGuckin
26th November 2014, 08:49 PM
Never once happened to me.
I was always slaving away in the galley with my rum extract.

Peter Trinder
28th December 2014, 11:59 AM
Your post was very interesting, but we were not taken over by P&O, but Australind was sold to a Midlands property man (saddest day of my life really) and the Avenue ships went over to P&O management. I think my memory is correct.
Peter Trinder

Michael Robertson
11th July 2018, 08:09 AM
hi John, just logged on again after years!! I was on Wimpy Seahorse (after she returned from Falklands) as 2nd mate around summer'83. based in Montrose. Skippers included Slack and a young curly haired mate who's wife sadly passed away and he was left with 6 kids to manage on his own (came from Inverness). Also worked on Seafox before moving to Star Offshore. We recently had a UK tv show about a detective based in Lerwick - series called Shetland ..hasn't changed at all in 30 years!! Made me realise I made the right decision to come to sunny Sydney rather than bleak winters

Tim Parr
29th August 2018, 07:54 PM
Sailed on Arrino doing sea trials in 1975, just coasting for a couple of weeks. Sailed with Captains Luck on Galway and Murray on Antrim.
Great times!

j.sabourn
29th August 2018, 11:03 PM
#42...was also on seafox, seawolf, seadog, sealion, in 1978.Knew Mickey Slack. In case you didn’t know the Wimpy Seahorse finished up working off the NW shelf in the 90s with of course an Australian crew..I went from Wimpys to Seaforth Maritime Ltd. head office Waterloo Quay Aberdeen. Wimpys were based in Yarmouth and still are to the best of my knowledge.cheers JWS

Bob Windsor
14th October 2020, 03:53 PM
Hi Ed,I've often wondered if you were still about,I've been going through some photos and there's one of you painting red arrows on the hold covers.I see that Micheal your other deck cadet posts on here.I've only just joined.All the best Bob Windsor

Bob Windsor
14th October 2020, 04:12 PM
Hi Tom,Hope you are well and staying that way.I also did the first three trips out to Chile.I remember when we sailed deep sea departing Liverpool on the afternoon of Christmas Eve 74,whilst in the lock waiting to get in the river a bunch of scousers were taking the pish about how they'd be out on the pish etc whilst we'd be out on the briny.I think it was Jim Watt wiped their laughter when he pointed out that in a weeks time we'd be in the Caribbean and they'd freezing,Happy days.All the best ,Bob Windsor.