PDA

View Full Version : Ben Line list

Celsis
3rd November 2008, 09:25 AM
Hi folks,

I'm putting together a Ben Line list of former seafarers. The idea is to have a record of former Ben Line staff and maybe arrange a reunion at a later date. The list may also help in getting old shipmates back in contact with each other.

All I need is ship name; dates; your email addy and your present location, i.e. where you now live.

If you would like to be on the list, please PM me with your details.

Thanks,

Mike MacKinnon
Mickchick

Andrew Clark Stewart
19th November 2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Mike,

In respose to your thread I sailed on the SS Benvorlich as EDH joined in Hamburg 12/11/67 and paid off in London 26/04/68 last trip with British crew before she was scrapped. She was a rust bucket but a great crew! I now live in Helensburgh West Coast of Scotland. e-mail astew3184@hotmail.co.uk

Regards

Andy Stewart R805875

Brian Westgarth
22nd December 2008, 02:42 PM
Hi, I was with Ben Line (and Atlantic Drilling) From 1961 until its' demise.I'm still in touch with 4 or 5 others, All Engineers, if you call sending Christmas Cards as being in touch.
Regards
Brian Westgarth

L.Strauss
16th January 2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Mike,

Name Louis Strauss was with Ben Line from 1968-1974 was senior cadet on the Ben Cruachan when she was hit by the freak wave of SA coast.
Now living in cheltenham contact email strausship@aol.com

Best regards

Richard Masson
25th January 2009, 11:55 AM
I wasn't a Ben Line man myself (wrong nationality) but a good friend of mine was. His name is John Watkinson. Last time I saw him he was a cadet on the Ben Loyal I think in about 1964. I dont think he went back to sea after 2nd Mates because, in his words he fought a one man civil rights war with the company throughout his apprenticeship and hated it. It was a shame because he was( is?) a very talented guy.

Derek
26th February 2009, 08:40 PM
My name is Derek Spedding, I was with Ben Line from 71- 73 and was second electrician on the Benstac, as I remember it we were only one day behind you when the freak wave hit you. I seem to remember going around the cape at "slow ahead" after we got the news.
Anyway, now living in Burnley.

davethefish
5th May 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi there, the name's David Herring. Was briefly an Engineercadet and Junior Engineer with Ben Line (1978-83) then joined Atlantic Drilling until 1992. Was particularly pleased to see the name of Brian Westgarth in your thread. Regrettably I never did bother to keep in touch with many ex colleagues-being made redundant wasn't the best of times.
Regards
David

Brian Robertson
28th May 2009, 04:12 AM
Hi, my name is Brian Robertson and I joined the Ben Nevis in Liverpool as 7th Engineer for my first trip in 1970. I completed a couple of voyages and coast run brfore leaving this challenging old ship as 5th Engineer. Coasted on Ben Venue also. 4th Engineer at the time was a little red haired guy called Jack and the 3rd Engineer was Martin. Left to get promotion and more money with Hudson Steamships.

Alan Bland
14th July 2009, 02:58 PM
Hello Mike.
Iam writing this on behalfof my brother Arthur Bland of North Shields,who sailed with Ben Line from 1955 to approx 1968,eventually sailing as chief engineer,on various Ben liine vessels he is very ill at moment with althziemers,& is currently in care,he still has memories of MN days .Iwas wondering if any members knew him & where i could obtain a illustrated book of Ben Line ships,

Iam ex MN Ellerman Line ,City - of Exeter ,1953 to 1958.( Electrician )
Thanks ,

santlay
15th July 2009, 10:14 AM
Hi there

I sailed on the Ben Cruachan from Dec 1963 until 22nd April 1964 my last trip as a J.O.S.

My name is Allan Sangster

diverdavid
25th July 2009, 04:11 PM
hi there i sailed on the ben avon and the ben hope (last british crew) in 1985/86 i was a deck boy my name is david bayne

captain gordon whittaker
26th July 2009, 12:12 PM
I sailed with Ben line in 1960, after leaving Cunard, as apprentice at £9 a month for 16 hour days, no leave, etc, sheer exploitation, but I learned my trade by working on deck with great Scouse "proper" ABs, and became an expert at splicinig and rigging. I was on the old Ben Lawers, ex"Woolworth's" carrier, and the sleek Ben Doran, which did London to Singapore in 19 days. The "Old Man" saw my discharge book and adopted me to stand bridge watches with the Mate, where I did all the star sights and general chart work. I experienced great animosity from the messroom crowd, who sent me to Coventry, but a single cabin meant I could study in peace. Captain Harvey gave me all his text books. which are worth a fortune now and I went straight to Leith Nautical College, at my own expense, and passed 2nd Mates, never looking back. I sailed with several of the surly Aberdeen and Leith ABs, on later ships, as Mate and Master, and they had the good grace to apologise for their narrow minded attitudes. As Master, I went on deck and showed some of the so - called "Sailors", how to splice quickly and easily by working with two spikes and tucking against the open lay. If we had a late, "All hands", work out cleaning holds at night I led the way and rewarded the lads with a case of Tennents and a bottle, plus a hot meal at 2 in the morning. Not all "Officers" are arrogant or distant. but the standard of crew has declined so much that it is impossible to sleep safely whilst trusting the ship to incompetents, who would never have survived with a decent Bosun and Lamptrimmer and Chippy. I owe all my deck expertise to these guys who were, "Old School" graduates of decent training establishments. I am just sorry that there is no longer an opening for my grandsons to go to sea, without advanced qualifications. In those days we all worked hard and played hard, and took a pride in a job done professionally. Please do not begrudge those who worked hard and gained the hard earned "Tickets", despite messroom resentment. I never forgot the encouragement that I had, and always tried to pass it on, with several of my crew attending College and attaining Board of Trade tickets. Tolerance is an admirable trait, in my opinion.

happy daze john in oz
27th July 2009, 06:24 AM
Well Captain I did a few voyages as an officers steward and found the engineering officers to be a great crowd, as were most of the junior deck, but the senior ones, forget it. That was on liners, though I found on cargo ships they were a bit more human.:eek:

salvina
27th August 2009, 11:15 AM
Hi, I sailed as 2nd lecky on the Benvrackie and Benvenue coastal trips and the Benalbanach (heavy lift ex Empire Athelstan) coast and deep sea between April and December 1961. I was asked back on the Albanach but after 3 generator fires in the boiler flat and old Jeff Jeffries as chief lecky I declined and went on to bigger and better things!
Now living in North Cyprus after 34 happy years in South Africa.
And believe me North Cyprus is really a 3rd world place (I won't dignify it by calling it a country!)

Ian Mundie R731308

Any Shelties aboard??? :p

Nigel J
23rd September 2009, 09:04 PM
Hi Gordon

Havn't logged in for some time and have only just read your May entry.
I too sailed under that gentlemanly Old Man J.C Harvey between March and July 1960 as 3rd mate and still have my "Strictly sober at all times" reference to proove it!

Altogether I was with Ben Line, frst as a very green Cadet in 1953 on Benlomond (ex Leith Nautical College) to 2nd Mate on Benmacdhui before leaving the sea in 1961.

Now retired from my second job, I'm again involved in a minor way with William Thomson. This time to erect a memorial to men of the Merchant Navy in Leith. More of that anon, once things have become more finalised.

Nigel Johnston

Brian Westgarth
29th September 2009, 04:13 PM
Hi, I seem to remember Arthur doing the "Eastern Sisters" , a promotional film made on the Benloyal I think, he was the Engineer looking for paint cracking on the prop-shaft couplings. I think I did a couple of coasts with him (and Ivan Lloyd the " Fang" if you knew him)
I have a copy of BEN LINE Fleet List and Short History which you would be welcome to have a loan of.
If you are still in No Shields I'm only in Wallsend.
Cheers, Brian Westgarth

Wully Farquhar
21st October 2009, 03:51 PM
Hi Salvina,I sailed with a few Shelties in the Ben-Line,that was in the mid sixties so some of the names fail me now,one or two i remember,Jeemie Irvine fae Whalsay,Lourie Laird from Hillswick,Jimmy Dalziel think he was from the west side someway,sorry i don't remember the other lads names:confused:a long time ago.Sailed on a few of the Ben boats,the Venue,Loyal Lomond,and the Arty which was heavy lift job,the "Beast was bosun aboard there.She was a motor ship which had a lot of bother with her engine,broke down one trip in the Red Sea for two days,that was an experiance on it's own,thought we were all going to get cooked with the heat.:eek:

Alan Bland
26th October 2009, 11:40 AM
Hi Brian .
please forgive me for the delay in answering your message. and your kind offer of loan of copy of book entitled (BEN LINE HISTORY).

My daughter managed to obtain a copy from E/BAY which has lots of info about BEN LINE history,with photos of ships Arthur recognised, He is still in care & is very ill with Althsimers & can not remember lots things .but he still likes to (swing the lamp) like we all do
Thank you once again for your offer .(yes we both still live in North Shields )
Regards Alan Bland.

James Watt
3rd January 2010, 11:06 AM
I started with the ben line in 1962 on the benattow (ex pegu) built 1942, as 7th engineer my newest ship was the bendoran, I did quite a few trips on the benrinnes and bennevis, I left the company as they kept putting me on the older ships I was 3rd eng. on bennevis when I left in 1974.

David Kirke Thomson
23rd January 2010, 08:25 PM
I joined my first ship straight from the T.S.Dolphin on DEC 14 63, the Benloyal a truly beautiful ship.only did the coast about 3 weeks.I then joined the Bengloe on jan 8 64 coast & 3 voyages paying off 11 dec 64.Bendearg coast 11-01-65 to 01-02-65,Benvorlich coast 04-02-65 to 04-03-65,Benlomond coast & voyage from 16-03-65 to 08-07-65.Sadly my last Benboat.I left as j.o.s.& learned so much in my 19 months & loved it & have great memories of my time as a (Benboat man).Even though I was only turned 17 when I moved on. Good times never to be forgotten.Davy Kirke Thomson fae Saltcoats Ayrshire.

craig pearce
24th January 2010, 02:19 PM
Hi I sailed on the rust bucket benevis from singapore to australia and up to basra when the first iran iraq war started as ass/cook
regards craig pearce

Doc Vernon
24th January 2010, 08:55 PM
Hi Craig P
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

Also"

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
Thank you

Please go to following Link and follow instructions there
When page opens Click on Contact info on Right and on dropdown list select
Send a message via Email to Mike Hall

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/member.php?u=8

Alternatively you can send your details to me as well and i will pass them on to Mike for you
Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/member.php?u=18

If any new Members (or old) would like more info on the Flag Projects please click on the following Link!
Thank you

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=558

happy daze john in oz
25th January 2010, 05:10 AM
G'day Craig and welcome to the best site in town. Do you have a list of ships you sailed on maybe with some dates? If so and you care to ppost them on site you may well get replies from some who knew you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.

brian watson
26th February 2010, 08:27 PM
hi sailed on the vrackie three trips fgplus coasted a few more ben boats

Tony Whitehead
3rd March 2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Mike,
I have only just found this site and have recognised a few names already.

I joined Ben Line in 1970 as deck cadet, sailed on many Ben boats 'stac, dearg, lomond, arty, armin, CoEd, avon, vorlich, valla, chemies venue, macdhui, some old city and pando boats.and others.

1987 I transfered across to Atlantic Drilling, then Stena took us over in 1996 as Stena Drilling.
So rigs will be OBL, Benloyal, Stena Clyde (all the same rig), Benreoch, Benlomond, Stena Spey.

Now I am down here off Australia on the Stena Clyde, serving as OIM / Master.

There are a few Ben Line lads around. Graeme MacDougall. Stuart Russell, John Banks is now CEO of Stena Drilling, Pete Bathgate has recently retired from the office, Tom Kennedy is retired but does a few days.

happy daze john in oz
4th March 2010, 05:16 AM
G'day Tony and welcome to the site. Good list of ships you have there, any dates to go with them? If you have and care to list them on site there is a good chance you will hear from some who knew you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.:eek:

Tony Whitehead
4th March 2010, 03:03 PM
Hi John,

sure I'll be paying off in a week.

I'll dig out my old discharge books.

Back to a chilly soggy UK

Doc Vernon
6th March 2010, 10:09 PM
As i have been away for a littel while i see i must have missed a few new entries,and apologise for not welcoming you all!
So i hope that this will cover those i may have missed,if there are any i didnt see please accept my apologies and Welcome All!
If there are also some that i may allready have welcomed,well then here is a double invite to this great site! haha!

Hi
Brian Westgarth
L Strauss
Sailtie
Derek
Davidthefish (David)
Brian Robertson
kipper
diverdavid (David Bayne)
Nigel Johnston
James Watt
Davy Thomsan
Tony Whitehead

Would just like to give you ALL a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
Cheers

Also"

Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
Thank you

Alternatively you can send your details to me as well and i will pass them on to Mike for you
Thanks

If any new Members (or old) would like more info on the Flag Projects please click on the following Link!
Thank you

William Cameron
25th March 2010, 10:38 PM
Hi,
My name is Bill Cameron I worked with Benline Steamers from 1969 to 1973.
I spent 2.5 years on the Benvrackie. It was a great ship I left her as 4th engineer and spent the rest of my time with Benline doing coastal trips. Lots of fun.

Doc Vernon
26th March 2010, 09:03 AM
Hi Willaim
Cheers

Also"

Thank you

Thanks

Thank you

Ali Bain
26th March 2010, 10:08 AM
Tony, Well well it's a small world as they say. Was just loading a photo of a group down the engine-room on the Benlomond (including yourself doing your engineroom time) on to the "ships nostalgia" website. Decided to do a bit of browsing and found this. Are you in touch with Stuart Russel ? If so please tell him I am asking for him.
Regards-Ali. (boz) Bain

iaingy
2nd July 2010, 09:09 PM
Hi,

The BEN STAC was in the area after the BENTCRUACHAN was struck, I was on the bridge of the BENSTAC at the time we were struck by a smaller wave and lost the gangway. I was on the BENSTAC from late 1972 joining in New York and leaving 11 months later in Singapore

Iain Gibson

Dennis Clark
3rd July 2010, 07:48 AM
Hi Tony,

maybe you remember me from the chemical tanker days in Ben Line, was on all three and had some great times.

been ashore now for some 20 odd years and looking to stop in the next few weeks.

Good to hear that you got to the top job and certainly remember the names as John Banks and Tom Kennedy.

Cheers,
Dennis Clark:p

Dennis Clark
9th July 2010, 06:46 PM
Hi Mike,

Just to put my details on the record. R 891086

I joined r Ben Line as Junior engineer Jan 1971 with my first ship being the SS Benrinnes on which I completed a coast trip.

There-after I sailed on the ships below:-

MV Benalbanach May 1971 >>> June 72
MV Benarkle March 1973>>>May 1973
MV Benvorlich July 1973>>>>Dec 1973
MV Benarkle March 1974>>>April 1974
MV Benhiant May 1974>>> Sept 1974
MV Benstac Nov 1974>>>>Nov 1975
MT Benvenue Sept 1976>>>
MT Benmacdui through to
MT Bencleuch >>>>>>>>>>Sept 1978
MV Bendearg Oct 1978>>>>Oct 1978
MV Benstac Oct 1978>>>>April 1979

Atlantic Drilling Co.

Bendoran 1979>>>>> July 1984
Benreoch July 1984>>>>Feb 1988
Ocean Benloyal Feb 1988>>>>March 1989

Departed the Ben Line Group 1989.

Cheers,

Dennis Clark

Doc Vernon
9th July 2010, 10:01 PM
Hi Ali and iaingy
Cheers

If this applies to you then please do send in your details!
Note Well

We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
Thank you
Vernon (castleman)

Please go to following Link

www.merchant-navy.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

Or reply to me in person! Via Private Message Link above below I will pass on the info!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=18

If any new Members or old ones too want a bit of info on the Flag Projects please
Go to the following Links where you can see Pics and Write ups on this subject!
Thanks

If you have already done this then please accept my apologies!

Bob Carr
23rd July 2010, 01:25 PM
Hi Brian
hope your keeping well, catch up sometime

regards

Bob Carr

Noel Henderson
12th August 2010, 10:48 PM
My hometown is Dundee, Scotland, and I came to the United States in 1963. In 1952 I completed a five-year apprenticeship at ULRO (Blackness Foundry) along with my buddy, James Cox. Presently, Iím living in Redmond, Washington, near Seattle.

Iím 79 now and have been trying for years to locate Jim. He sailed as a marine engineer on the Ben Line out of Leith in the late 50s and early 60s. I believe the ship he sailed on was the Benalbanach. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

In prior efforts I located a James Cox living in Glencoe, who was a marine engineer and whose wife had the same name, Greta. However, they lived in Canada, not Scotland, and that Jim Cox was 10 years older than my buddy would be. Small world, huh?!

Hope you can help.

Sincerely,
Noel Henderson

Doc Vernon
13th August 2010, 10:25 PM
Hello Noel
Welcome to the site and i hope you will one day get tyhe info you are searching for,however it may be a hard task!
Do you know where James was Born? and approx what age would he be ??
This may give a little bit more insight to him for all concerned!
I take it you are not ex MNavy! ???
Cheers
Good HUNTING!

Just some info on the Ship in question!

Ben Line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Benalbanach_(1946)

BENALBANACH Built 1940 Official No 167030
Ben Line; 1940; Chas. Cornell & Co.; 7,153 tons; 436-3X 56-
7x35-3; 700 n.h.p.; 13-5 knots; triple-expansion engines.
The Ben liner Benalbanach, Capt. D. K. C. Macgregor, was taken
over for service as an auxiliary transport late in 1941 and in November,
1942, she took part in the landing at Oran in the North African
campaign.
The ship's second journey to North Africa ended in tragedy. On
Christmas Eve, 1942, she left the Clyde with a crew of 74 and 389
officers and men of the Motor Transport, as well as a cargo of tanks,
motor vehicles, ammunition, petrol and general military stores. At
just after six o'clock on the evening of January 6th, 1943, the
Benalbanach, which was in convoy, was attacked E. of Algiers by a
German aircraft with two torpedoes, which hit the ship in No. 3
and No. 5 holds. She sank almost immediately with 57 crew and 340
troops, Capt. Macgregor dying from exhaustion after three hours in
the water and just as he was about to be rescued by a destroyer.

Above thanks to Hugh!

Noel Henderson
14th August 2010, 06:22 PM
Jim would be about my age, 79, born in 1931, I believe, in Dundee, where we both completed our apprenticeships and studies at the same time. When I emmigrated in 1963, he was still resident in Dundee.

I wondered if the Ben Line has a retirement/pension/survivor benefit program for their engineers, maybe Jim Cox is part of it. I have no knowledge of such a program existing and have been totally stymied. Any possible leads or suggestions for further searches would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the interesting ship background! It happens that my dog breeder in Scone was part of the El Alamein invasion.

No, I'm not a merchant navy engineer and was involved in special purpose development work for commercial and government (U.S.) agencies until my retirement. I went into national service with the Royal Air Force when Jim went to sea.

Jimmy Scougall
19th August 2010, 07:31 PM
Hi Mike,I sailed on 2 Ben boats,the Benvenue in 1972-73 took her to scrap Taiwan and the Benlawers 1973-74.I bide in Edinburgh.Another thing,my mother was a MacKinnon from Harris.All the best,

Jimmy Scougall

Elaine Carty
25th August 2010, 02:00 PM
Dear Mr Sangster, I came across this site while I was "surfing the net" when I seen your e-mail. Imagine my surprise when I checked my dads discharge book and found he was on the "Ben Cruachan" at the same time as you. I know its a long time ago but I just wondered if you remembered him. His name was Jim Nicholson and he was 1st Officer on that trip. He passed away in 1968 when I was 12 so it would be nice to know that someone else remembers him. Thanks for anything that you can remember about him. hope you're keeping well n take care. Mrs Elaine Carty

Brian Robertson
30th August 2010, 05:24 AM
HI, my name is brian robertson and I sailed with Ben Line in 1970-1972. I sailed as a junior engineer on the Ben Nevis. I started my career as 7th Eng and left as 5th Eng.

I left here and went to Hudson Steamship Co. for a couple of years where I gained my 2nd Eng certificate sailing on the Hudson Friendship & Hudson venture.

simon young
4th September 2010, 11:35 AM
Hi Mike,

I have just found this site and registered.
I joined the Bencleuch as SOS in London on 2/6/49 for a 15 day coastal passage.

Then I joined Benalbanach again in London on 25/5/50 as EDH. Apart from coastal leave I remained on her until 5/5/52. During that time we made a voyage to Pusan during the Korean war with a squadron of Centurian tanks. The Captain then was A. Sinclair.

I wanted to study at Leith Nautical College for my Seconds Mates ticket but found the College was closing shortly for the summer break. I went to the "Pool" office in Aberdeen for a short voyage to fill in the time and was given a ship going from Liverpool over to Montreal and back for grain. Needless to say it was 2 years later when we returned. I went to the College and obtained my ticket and went straight to Ben Line office in Edinburgh for a job. After lookin at my discharge book and seing I had been on another ship they said sorry, no job.

I then joined Clan Line for 11 years and then Safmarine where I ended up as Master forb 24 years before retiring. I now live in Ayr.

Keith Davies
28th October 2010, 08:07 PM
Keith Davies Member

Hi Mike,
Joined the Benarty in London September 1976 as AB paid off in Ras Tanura Jan 1977, unloading drilling equipment. Must say as the only Englishman on board it was quite an experience, regular crew miffed that they no longer were sailing to the Far East. Picked up the drilling equipment in Texas, after loading in the Med and discharge in Columbia. Cheers

Doc Vernon
28th October 2010, 08:30 PM
Hi Simon
Cheers

Included in the Flag then Please join the Crew List and leave full details on the Registration Form.
We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
Thank you
Vernon (castleman)

Donít forget to note your First Ship on the Form!

If any new Members or old ones too want a bit of info on the Flag Projects please
Go to the following Links where you can see Pics and Write ups on this subject!
Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8380

If you have allready done this then Thank You!

Raymond Witkowski
24th November 2010, 11:35 AM
hi mike,

i sailed on the bendearg from 20/10/64 until 13/12/66 as d/boy leaving as jos willie bolt was bosun also big roddy mc sween as ab ,next was the benvrackie from 8/5/68 until 23/12/68 as edh also coasted the alder 20/12/67- 15/1/68 bengloe 9/6/69- 18/5/69

regards ray witkowski

Angus John Campbell
26th November 2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Mike.
I was on the Ben Cruachan the night of the freak wave, 15 mins after coming of the wheel we got hit. I was employed as EDH. My name is Angus John Campbell (Big A as I was called on there ) I come from South Uist Outer Hebrides. I am working offshore in Norway on the Songa Dee X ( Stena Dee )
Best Regards
Angus J.

Jim Hynds
14th December 2010, 11:06 AM
We must have sailed together at some stage, I was on the Dearg, Lomond, Gloe, Albanach, Attow, ,Arty. Wullie Bolt was Bosun on the Dearg and Wullie McGregor was Bosun on the Lomond. I sailed with the beast a few times, Iím sure his name was Wullie Walker.. There was another old Bosun called Jamieson whom I also sailed with, and there was the Bosun on the Attow whom we nick named Popeye. Can't remember his name. A few of the guys I remember were Frank Thomson, John Murray, H Sutherland, Roy Stewart, Roddie MacSween, D McKinnon.

Wully Farquhar
20th December 2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Jim,I was on the Lomond with Wully Magregor from Feb.67 to June the same year Danny Sinclair was the O/M.Was with the Beast on the Arty for two trips from April 65 to Nov. same year Chas. Donnely was the O/M.Did three trips on the Loyal,the bosun was Jimmy Jamieson and the O/M was Mr.Magill,aye good company and good crowds,Jimmy Watt from Aberdeen was also on the Loyal been there from when she was new,i have heard that Jimmy is no longer with us but don't know if that is true.Have a good Christmas and a happy new year.
Wully

johnmacpherson
13th January 2011, 11:26 AM
Hello Allan, The engagement dates on your letter are exactly the same as mine. I joined Bencruachan in London 21/12 63 and paid off 22/4/64 .I can't recall you but I was 4th Engineer then.
Regards
John macpherson

Andy Chaplin
21st February 2011, 06:03 PM
Mike
Didn't actually work for Ben Line but was R/O (Marconi) on the Bendearg in 1967
Andy Chaplin

j.sabourn
22nd February 2011, 02:42 AM
You wouldnt by any chance the Sangster who sailed as cook on the Seaforth Emperor in the 80"s would you? Regards John Sabourn.

BRIAN LEONARD
27th February 2011, 03:23 PM
Brian leonard served as junior engineer on the bennevis and the bencruachan 1962 to 1964. I am retired and live in heighington near darlington.

bert(jock)beaton
27th February 2011, 10:29 PM
Hi folks,

I'm putting together a Ben Line list of former seafarers. The idea is to have a record of former Ben Line staff and maybe arrange a reunion at a later date. The list may also help in getting old shipmates back in contact with each other.

All I need is ship name; dates; your email addy and your present location, i.e. where you now live.

If you would like to be on the list, please PM me with your details.

Thanks,

Mike MacKinnon
Mickchick

hi my name is bert beaton and i know its not "ben boat" as such but i sailed on the grey hunter and she was owned by the benline.they had 3 of them- grey hunter,grey fighter and the grey warrior. i was edh on the hunter 79-80,joined her in new orleans

Paul Barford
6th March 2011, 01:52 PM
I've been meaning to add my details for a while, now sailing on LNG vessels which have internat access, so no excuse now.

After shore apprenticeship,

s.s.Benreoch 01-Sep-72 02-Oct-72
s.s Bennevis 16-Oct-72 27-Feb-73
s.s.Bennevis 28-Feb-73 16-Jun-73
m.v.Benstac 28-Jul-73 29-Sep-73
s.s Benvrackie 11-Dec-73 28-Dec-73
s.s.Benreoch 02-Jan-74 28-Jan-74
m.v.Benarkle 05-Mar-74 09-Apr-74
s.s Bengloe 01-May-74 10-Jun-74
s.s.Benlomond 29-Jun-74 25-Nov-74
s.s.Benlomond 26-Nov-74 09-May-75
s.s.Benlomond 14-Jun-75 11-Oct-75
s.s.Benattow 01-Jun-76 05-Nov-76
m.v.Grey Fighter 04-May-77 03-Nov-77
s.s.Benalbanach 11-Feb-78 13-Mar-78
s.s Bengloe 18-Apr-78 16-May-78
Atlantic II (semi-sub) 01-Jun-78 01-Mar-79
m.v.Benhope 26-Mar-79 20-Jul-79
s.s Bencruachan 12-Oct-79 25-Feb-80
t.s.s.Cityof Edinburgh 31-May-80 23-Jul-80
m.v.Bennevis 26-Nov-80 15-Apr-81

After that made redundant and went "foreign"

All the best from LNG/C "Al Huwaila"

Jim Pratt
8th April 2011, 09:19 PM
Hi, I sailed on the old Benlawers (built 1944) from January 1965 to June 1965 as S.O.S. I now live in Sydney, Australia.
Good luck with a great idea.

Regards
Jim Pratt

Celsis
26th April 2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks lads. I'll get on with this soon.

I've been off for a while after having to udergo two heart bypasses and various bouts of pneumonia and a small stroke. Getting better now and feel that it's time to do this.

Ivan Cloherty
26th April 2011, 05:02 PM

I've been off for a while after having to udergo two heart bypasses and various bouts of pneumonia and a small stroke. Getting better now and feel that it's time to do this.

Hi Celsis

Sounds like you've had more than your fair share of bad weather passages just lately, just settle down behind the breakwater, take it easy and all the crew on board the good ship merchant-navy.net wish you good health and fair voyage.

Ivan

happy daze john in oz
27th April 2011, 06:42 AM

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you are now on the mend and the prognosis is good.

Chris Cladingbowl
28th June 2011, 05:13 PM
Hi to you all,

I was with B.L. from Aug 1962 through to Aug 1982.
I would be interested to hear from any of you who recall a Chris Cladingbowl.
I am now retired etc and out to grass, living in the wilds of Lincolnshire.
Regds, Chris Cladingbowl

tam fairweather
11th July 2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Chris, I think we sailed together a couple of times,good to hear you are alive and kicking.I'm still spending most of my life in an engine room.I work for Stena Drilling on the drillship Stena Drillmax,we have just sailed from a location south of the Falkland islands,thankfully heading north for some better weather in Brazil.
If you go to shipsnostalgia.com you will find a lot more benline news.
All the best

Tam

Stewart Martin
12th July 2011, 07:42 PM
Is there any one who sailed with my uncle on the ben line , his name was Ernie ELRICK and he was Chief Enginier , i would like to know what ships he sailed on Thanks Stewart

Bob Blair
26th July 2011, 06:20 PM
Hope you still remember Beryl the Peril from Birkenhead?

tam fairweather
26th July 2011, 08:17 PM
How could i forget Miss Birkenhead 1977

Denis O'Shea
26th July 2011, 11:54 PM
Hi folks,
Denis O Shea here Sparks on the Benhiant with Capt George Nichols in 1964 only did one trip becos of the roach infested thing, but a great bunch of sihipmates, lecky Jimmy Leasky from ? ( another senior moment)
Later when working in the North Sea was on the Ocean Benloyal (the O be jpoyful) another great set of shipmates except for ??????? of a toolpusherwhose name cannot remember nor do I wish to.
Best regards to all,
Denis

Russell Thomson
5th September 2011, 02:31 PM
Hi,

I joined my first Ben Line ship, Benstac, in April 1979 as Deck Cadet and then served on the Bendearg, Benvorlich, Benalbanach, Benavon & Benalder. Feel I was luck to get a chance to serve on the last couple of General cargo ships. Left in 1983 and went to Safmarine (Gateway Shipping) to serve on Reefers and left the sea in 1987 after a tumble down the hatch in Cost Rica !

Not kept in touch very well I'm afraid although did see Ian Simpson (fellow Cadet) on and off until about 2000 and met Alasdair Murray a couple of time in 2002/2003.

Just recently met Capt. George Reid who was my first Old Man, hasn't changed much although maybe mellowed a bit !

denniswalker
10th October 2011, 09:14 PM
Hi i sailed with benline from 1981 until 1989 started with city of edindburgh as deckboy, bulk crarriers, and ended up on the chemical tankers

Phil Trickey
26th October 2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Paul,

Just checked my discharge book and it would seem we joined the Bengloe at the same time, but I left in Hong Kong in August when she went to scrap.

Phil Trickey

Bill Law
25th November 2011, 01:27 AM
Hi all, I need your help. I am trying to track down some old shipmates / photos for my Dad as a surprise for him. I have very limited information, so I am really hoping someone out there can help; this is what I have;
My Dads name: William (Bill) Law
Ship: M.V. SALVINA
When: Joined after his navy training on 24th Feb 1964 until he got leave in Hamburg Germany on 3rd June 1965
Ship Captain: The Captain of Salvina was D.Archibauld (a stonch Hearts football supporter I believe)

PLEASE let me know if you can help me Ė billahlaw@hotmail.com

Ivan Cloherty
25th November 2011, 08:01 AM
Bill, there will be many willing to help you in your quest, but please do not put your message on every or numerous forums, it means you will have to check every forum every time you enter and you may just miss the forum that has that important data you are seeking.

It is best to restrict your message to just one forum "Salvina" that way the lads will know where to post their answers and assistance.

The above is given with the best intentions so that you can concentrate (and the lads can concentrate) on the avenue that matters, and that is helping you.

Good luck in your endeavours. Ivan

mike walker
8th January 2012, 02:31 PM
Hi Chris ( Cladingbowl)
I believe I was with you on Bennachie circa 1966,I was third mate,I believe we joined her as Eastern Glory in Japan.I served with Ben ine from 1961-1966 voyaging on Bencruachan to 64 then Benvannoch and Bengloe.I would be interested to hear from you or any of the guys serving around that time

Michael Parker
19th January 2012, 02:03 PM
Hi, my name is Mick Parker, I sailed with the Ben Line as EDH from 1964/1968
List of ships
Benlawers
BenLomond
BenDearg
BenArmin
BenGloe 2 trips with William ,the Aberdeen beast, Walker
BenCleuch

Bob Montgomery
3rd February 2012, 10:33 PM
Hi .........I did a coast on the Benalbanach asEDH during May/June 71 my first ship back after a spell ashore what a refresher course !!!!!!! paid off in London back home phoned the pool in Aberdeen got a coast and voyage on the Benstac June / Oct 71 paid off and that was the last ben boat I was on did a 3 months on a BP tanker then a Sal boat (Salvina) great trip
PS Can recall real bad weather rounding the cape homeward bound on the Stac

Robert Barr
5th February 2012, 02:39 PM
My name is Robert (Bob) Barr. I joined the Ben Line in 1969 and sailed on the Bendoran as 7th Engineer. I did 3 trips on the Benloyal, 2 on the Bencleuch and various coasts on other Ben boats. I left in 1973 to work for BP in Grangemouth. I am originally from Musselburgh but now live in Bo'ness.

David Kirke Thomson
12th May 2012, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=Michael Parker;79441]Hi, my name is Mick Parker, I sailed with the Ben Line as EDH from 1964/1968
List of ships
Benlawers
BenLomond
BenDearg
BenArmin
BenGloe 2 trips with William ,the Aberdeen beast, Walker
BenCleuch [QUOTE]

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Hi Mike,we sailed together on the Benlomond from March to July 1965.I was jos and got a Moheekan haircut outward bound.Your townie stayed on and did tht coast on her as his wife was due her baby and he wanted to be home for it.Always stuck with me thst did.Don't know if you'll remember me but I'll be in some of your photos,as I can remember you were the only one with a camera.All the best to you and big Jim if you still see him.Another couple of guys on thst trip were Jimmy Cordiner fae peterhead and wee George (Simpson)? fae Aberdeen.sos n edh.Davy Thomson fae Saltcoats.

angus mackenzie
8th June 2012, 08:44 PM
was there an ab on the stack with called tommy mackay from embo he was on there a long time

Bob Montgomery
1st July 2012, 05:36 AM
was there an ab on the stack with called tommy mackay from embo he was on there a long time

Hello Angus you were wondering about Tom Mackay yes he was AB on the STAC I shared a couple of watches with him he took over as "Bosun " when Davie Meikle had a fatal heartattack There was a photo of him somewhere on the web the old Ben Line site I think !!!!
however he was a great old salt and 1st class shipmate who helped me refresh things (splices and stuff) after my spell ashore and we were days making slings for arrival in HK ............ I did,nt do a double header just felt strange after the burial at sea

Yours Aye

Des Taff Jenkins
1st July 2012, 06:07 AM
Hi Bob.
Didn't sail with you, but I remember the good times at the Flemington Markets Vindi dinners.
I now live in Cooma after a four year stint back in NZ that was a disaster.
John Meirs is now living up your way Wyong I think.
Hope your keeping well.
Cheers Des Taff Jenkins.

Yorkshirelad
3rd August 2012, 09:23 AM
I am researching one of my old family names - Stanforth- and came upon this 1911 Census return from Aberdeen. - thought you may be interested in the crew.

If anyone can identify which of the Ben Alder vessels this relates to, I would be pleased to hear from you. I thing from the shipping line list, it is the one referred to as Ben Alder (2) working from the dates of selling and scrapping the vessels with this name.
Where would a vessel of this size be fishing, and does anyone have a photo please?

-Eric

Tony Frost
3rd August 2012, 09:32 AM
Ben Line ships all one word eg.BENALDER,fishing Trawler BEN ALDER.

Robert Golightly
16th August 2012, 07:48 PM
From TS Dolphin Leith 65/66 joined for coast as galley boy on Ben Cleuch May 66? First time abroad. Coast included Rotterdam and Hamburg.
Then galley boy on Benvorlich, took RAF Javelin jet on deck: Suez, Penang, Port Sweetenham, Seletar (offload Javelin), Singapore, Hong Kong, Yokohama, Shimizu, Nagoya, Kobe, Keelung, Kaohsiung then back to UK via Hong Kong.
Left MN in 68 and joined RAF - must have been inspired by the Javelin.

Robert Golightly

Jim Egan
17th August 2012, 06:31 AM
Anyone kicking about that was on Benarty Feb 1976 until July 76. The trip we hit a Rock/Reef going into Puerto Rico, West indies to land a young deck cadet who had broken his wrist/arm. Start of trip we were in Middlesborough loading a large 180 ton lift for Korea,day we due to sail tugs on strike,think stuck for a week.Mate made us relash this deck cargo,which went all way up port side for,d. Bosun was the Beast,Jackie Callender his side kick AB/Bosun.
J.Egan

StefanSzymendera
19th September 2012, 07:05 PM
I joined the Benvalla as a deck boy in 1966.

Tony Morcom
20th September 2012, 12:32 AM
Welcome to the site Stefan :grouphug: Thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself. It is to be hoped that you enjoy the contents here which are as varied as the members.

Sammi Perkins
30th October 2012, 05:40 PM
Hi,

I joined my first Ben Line ship, Benstac, in April 1979 as Deck Cadet and then served on the ...................................

I think i sailed with you, were you known as shagger :)

Michael Parker
19th January 2013, 01:15 PM
sent you a message Davy Hope you got it?

george wybar
13th March 2013, 02:01 AM
Hi there,

I was on the Benvrackie for about a year from late 1970 till late 1971.I remember leaving Hull with £SD and returning to decimalisation.Also joined the Bendoran a couple of years later chartered to Hapag LLoyd of Germany.Of all the runs,I thought the Far East was the best of them all.Isailed as EDH.Now back in my home town of Largs in Ayrshire.

Tam Carr
24th October 2013, 02:23 AM
Tam Carr here who joined Benvrackie in London 1974 and sailed on many ships until transfering to Atlantic Drilling in 1982. Ended up joining Smedvig in Singapore in 1995 and am still with them (now Seadrill) as Project Barge Captain building new Tender Barges in Nantong, China. email is tam_1955@yahoo.co.uk or look for me on Facebook.

Raymond Witkowski
15th April 2014, 07:47 AM
i knew jimmy cordiner very well as he was my next door neighbour when i was a kid was davey thompson a short stout lad with a black bushy beard

Andrew Gilchrist
3rd June 2014, 07:54 PM
ANDREW GILCHRIST , I was on the BENVORLICH from september 1969 till December 1970 ,I understand the boat was then sold to the Greeks ,we left it in Hull after the Far East tour . I joined the Benvorlich in Le Havre and paid off in Hull . A great old boat !.

Ronald Maben
26th August 2014, 02:03 PM
Ben Line Hi there I sailed on Mv Benwyvis from 26th Jan to 11th may 1971 J.O.S. on the coast Mv Benattow from 6th may to 9th sep 1971 S.O.S. Mv Bengloe 15th Jan to16th may 1972 S.O.S. Left sea never went back I miss it.

Chris Isaac
27th August 2014, 07:25 AM
Can I make a suggestion, I am not Ben Line but ex B&C and have produced a web site on that company (see link below)
I am not suggesting that you go to all that trouble but I found it very useful to open a Facebook page under the company's name and get then to register there.
That way they can exchange info and pics etc etc.
It is completely free and very easy to set up.
Kind regards
Chris

John Arton
27th August 2014, 07:45 AM
Any ex. Ben Line lads ever sail with a Jock Dunwoodie from Granton, whose father owned a business in Granton running crew boats out of there along with a sail loft on the quayside. He served his time as a deck cadet in Ben Line around 1966 to 1970. I sailed with him later on tankers in C.P. a couple of times. He was 2nd mate and I was 3rd mate. A cracking guy who I think left the sea and took over the business after a family tragedy I believe.
rgds
JA

Ronald Maben
28th August 2014, 09:29 AM
Hi Mike Mv Benwyvis 26th Jan to 11th Feb J.O.S. 1971] Mv Benattow 6th May to 9th Sep S.O.S. 1971] Mv Bengloe 15th Jan to 16th May S.O.S. 1972 that was my last ship left sea ronniemaben@yahoo.com 46 Kingsmuir Crescent Peebles Scottish Borders EH45 9AB.

douglas mitchell
13th September 2014, 09:56 AM
I joined Benvalla on her maiden voyage Sept 62 as Jos,did four trips, left Oct 63 to sit my EDH.Benavon Oct 64 to April 65.I ended up in Aus in74 and spent 32 years on Aussie ships, best move i ever made.
Doug Mitchell

David Murray
6th November 2014, 08:48 AM
I sailed as Engineer with the Ben in the early sixties. I was on the Benalder, Bendoran and the Bencruachan.
Fast to the Far East !

David Nicholson
20th November 2014, 10:17 AM
Mike,
I was on the BenMacdhui out of KGV in August (?) 1965 where we sailed to Rotterdam, Le Havre, Palermo, through Suez and Port Said to Malaysia and the surrounding countries where we steamed for 3 months approximately before heading back to Europe and flew home to Glasgow.
First trip and a memorable one and I actually saw the ship itself being scrapped at Cairnryan in the 1980's I think it was.
Regards,
David Nicholson

j.sabourn
20th November 2014, 11:30 AM
#95... Douglas was it the ANL you sailed with out here, think I am right the Australian national line, if so did you ever come across a Dave Siggers, would probably have been Ch. Steward or catering officer whatever the title was then. Cheers John S

Ronnie Maben
21st November 2014, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=ronniemaben;180487]Hi Mike Mv Benwyvis 26th Jan to 11th Feb J.O.S. 1971] Mv Benattow 6th May to 9th Sep S.O.S. 1971] Mv Bengloe 15th Jan to 16th May S.O.S. 1972 that was my last ship left sea ronniemaben@yahoo.com

:thumb_ship:

Damber
23rd August 2015, 06:41 PM
My dad sailed with Ben Line in the late 60's to early 70's. His name is DAVID BELL and was serving on the following ships on the the following dates:-

BENVRACKIE 07/07/67 - 24/12/68
BENEDIN 16/04/69 - 20/11/70
BENSTAC 08/02/71 - 05/03/71
BENRIOCH 19/03/71 - 26/04/71
BENRINNES 08/02/72 - 28/03/72
BENVALLA 06/04/72 - 19/07/72
BENCAIRN 27/03/73 - 06/08/73

Thank you for reading. I will be pleased to hear from some of his old crew mates.

Dan

takiyteasy
2nd December 2015, 08:31 AM
Brian Leach
Benvalla (ocean greyhound) 1964 to 66 5 trips as junior engineer.

Derek Bates
12th December 2015, 11:26 AM
I was on the Behiant at the same time joined Bandar Shapour 28/03/74 paid off Santos 19/08/74.

David L Evans
8th January 2016, 04:37 AM
Served on the Benarty as 2nd R/O on my first trip to sea in June 1966 the chief R/O was Willie Paterson. Great first ship but had to payoff after the 3 month voyage to get the rest of my 6 months junior status and ended up on a collier " Sir William Walker" running down the North Sea to the power station at Shoreham. Left the sea in 1970 and married a California girl and have lived in Los Angeles ever since, but will always remember Willie and the Benarty.

Richard Pitt
15th November 2016, 05:02 AM
Hi there, the last post seems to have been a while ago but maybe some of my cohort will see this so here goes.

My name is Richard Pitt and I was a deck cadet from 1977 to 1981 - sailed on Benalbanach, Benloyal, City of Edinburgh, Dunstanburgh Castle etc. Went to Hull Nautical College because Leith was full I think - good times if a little mad and met fine comrades such as Colin Graham, Frank Rossiter, Colin Gillies, Greg Bullock etc etc. Also sailed with old schoolmate Stewart Haxton from my home county Angus - Forfar to be exact. Anyone out there..?

gray_marian
15th November 2016, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the site Richard, you're a long way from Forfar.:) Lots to read and enjoy on here, feel free to share your own memories and thoughts. Marian

Ann McKinnon
24th February 2017, 07:32 PM
My dad may have sailed with you at that time, he was a fellow Ben Liner , (Alex McKinnon) . CTC

Richard Quartermaine
24th February 2017, 09:50 PM
Richard, in the mid 70s worked just down the road from you with Turriff Taylor at the pipeline office at Coupar Angus. Lived across the Tay at Kinclaven. Bought a very old book 'Scottish Lyric Gems' from the bookshop in Meikle - it's on my bookshelf.
Cheers.
Richard

gordon.kenny
18th June 2017, 05:21 PM
was on dearg and hope

gordon.kenny
18th June 2017, 05:46 PM
yeah as said dearg and hope,,,3 months anchor on dearg in gulf

gordon.kenny
18th June 2017, 06:34 PM
some heavy ships

- - - Updated - - -

yoyo gear, frisco gear,,,,jumbos,,,etc

- - - Updated - - -

lots of sticks

gordon.kenny
18th June 2017, 06:42 PM
deep tanks,,,palm oil

gordon.kenny
18th June 2017, 06:52 PM
fellow scot

gordon.kenny
18th June 2017, 07:27 PM
on hope 1980

- - - Updated - - -

was in basra on dearg

Dennis Clark
13th August 2017, 05:20 PM
Hi Derek,

I joined the Benhiant @ Bandar Shapour 9/5/74, paid off Rio de Janeiro. 5/9/74, so we must have done the voyage together, I was the 3rd Engineer.
I think we sailed empty to Durban and loaded sugar for Montreal, then went to Detroit area and loaded steel for Santos and Rio, where we flew home to London via Paris
David Waugh was the 2nd engineer, can't remember any other names onboard.
Dennis Clark

Merv Brownlow
26th August 2017, 05:32 AM
hello kirke I was on the benvorlich with you ,I tried to contact you on the crew lists on here but no luck

Ronald stewart
3rd February 2018, 09:34 AM
hi Keith

you joined as I paid off at tate and lyles we had not been amywhere near the far east though
Lagos then to the states up the East coast from Texas to New York sailed just before the bi centennial down to south Africa then after Durban to Mauritius for a month loading sugar and back to London
we had a few Sassenach (English) lads on deck Jess Brooks Terry Pamenter Eddie Wilcox to name a few

Ronald stewart
3rd February 2018, 09:52 AM
I joined BenArty in Lagos may 76 paid off September 76 but we never went near west indies

Ronald Maben
21st February 2018, 07:50 PM
I sailed with on the Benwyvis 71 Benattow 71 Bengloe 72.

Keith at Tregenna
21st February 2018, 08:07 PM
Adding here just in case:

RE: HOUSE FLAG.

Link: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/keith-at-tregenna/32236-question-1-a.html?highlight=LINE+FLAG

Ronald Maben
5th March 2018, 05:59 PM
Hi jim I was on Benwyvis Benattow Bengloe 1970 to 1972 great ships to sail on

Frank Carson
11th March 2018, 04:20 PM
Hi Mike,

In respose to your thread I sailed on the SS Benvorlich as EDH joined in Hamburg 12/11/67 and paid off in London 26/04/68 last trip with British crew before she was scrapped. She was a rust bucket but a great crew! I now live in Helensburgh West Coast of Scotland. e-mail astew3184@hotmail.co.uk

Regards

Andy Stewart R805875

hello Andy
did you know a tommy erskine he was on the benvorlich he was on the ship round about that date came from Alloa i went to grangemouth to see him off .
thanks
F Carson

Ronald Maben
12th March 2018, 06:56 PM
Hi Phil I was on the Benwyvis 1971 J.O.S. Benattow 1971 J.O.S. Bengloe 1972 S.O.S. she was my last ship I miss the sea R 874850.

Ronald Maben
18th March 2018, 03:54 PM
I was on the Benattow 71Benwyvis 71 Bengloe 72 I left after that ship R874850

Ronald Maben
18th March 2018, 06:07 PM
I would like to go on the Ben Line list of former seafarers the ships I was on were MV Benwyvis 26th jan to 11th feb 1971 j O S SS Benattow 6th to 9th sep 1971 SOS SS Bengloe 15th jan to 16th may 1972 SOS I left the sea after that ship I am sorry I will not make the reunion but I would have liked to come but Disabled cant walk. R874850.

William Scouller
27th June 2018, 03:48 PM
Hi, I sailed with Ben Line from 1958 to 1964 and then again from 1967 to 1970. Serving as Cadet, 3rd Mate, 2nd Mate and 1st Mate before going over to BP Tanker Co.
I sailed on rather a lot of the Ben boats, probably too many to list here.
My name is William (Bill) Scouller.

Ann McKinnon
1st August 2018, 07:38 PM
My father Alexander McKinnon was a Chief Officer with the Benline in the 60,s and 70,s ,he sadly past away in 1997.But my mum and l enjoyed visiting him on many a trip.

Keith at Tregenna
1st August 2018, 10:20 PM
Hi Ann, I have a Ben line house flag that needs a good home,
wondered if you may be interested.

No charge.

Keith.

j.sabourn
2nd August 2018, 12:33 AM
You may have known John Richie then. Had Ben line coming out of his ears. Sailed with him for nearly 4 years and that was always his referral point was Ben Line. Think he came off the deck during the war and gained the dizzy heights of Chief Officer with Ben Line who assured me it wasn’t the same as being mate with other companies. When he died in the 80s with a brain tumour , he left me still wondering what the difference was. Quite a few out of Ben Line at one point I believe went into the Singapore pilotage Service. Cheers JWS

Michael McRae
2nd August 2018, 01:32 PM
Hi,
I made a trip as deck boy on SS Benwyvis 5th May 1962 - 26th September 1962, remembered as a happy ship and was chuffed to operate one of the 'Jumbo' winches unloading RAF jets at Seletar. Washed up in Stevenage, Hertfordshire.

Tony Taylor
2nd August 2018, 02:20 PM
Hi,
I made a trip as deck boy on SS Benwyvis 5th May 1962 - 26th September 1962, remembered as a happy ship and was chuffed to operate one of the 'Jumbo' winches unloading RAF jets at Seletar. Washed up in Stevenage, Hertfordshire.

I recall RAF Seletar, I went ashore in afternoon (let off) 12-4 to quack then afterwards called in to The Cellar bar on collier quay. Bumped into our chief cook and enjoyed several pints of Tiger. He was off to see his pal in RAF and invited me along - seemed like a good idea at the time.
When we got to his married quarters and knocked on door, it was answered by his very irate wife. He is down the effin pub as usual, tell him not to effin come back he can f off f all I care.
Off we go to pub and find the docs mate and had a few more sherberts.
I dont remember much more but found myself at Jardine steps about eleven, droppin stones through the jetty planks to wake one one of the boatmen.
Finally made it back to Bukom or so I thought, 150 yards from jetty boatman demands payment, too many you bloody men jump in water an no pay.
Made it back in time to go on watch.

Dex
21st August 2018, 04:52 PM
Hi Derek,

I joined the Benhiant @ Bandar Shapour 9/5/74, paid off Rio de Janeiro. 5/9/74, so we must have done the voyage together, I was the 3rd Engineer.
I think we sailed empty to Durban and loaded sugar for Montreal, then went to Detroit area and loaded steel for Santos and Rio, where we flew home to London via Paris
David Waugh was the 2nd engineer, can't remember any other names onboard.
Dennis Clark

Hi Dennis,
I was an AB on board that trip, later got my tickets and sailed as mate and prob-master on the oil supply ships in the north sea and Mexico. I settled in Foveran with family in 1999 working for the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA).

Ann McKinnon
1st September 2018, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=santlay;25593]Hi there

I sailed on the Ben Cruachan from Dec 1963 until 22nd April 1964 my last trip as a J.O.S.

My name is Allan Sangster[/QUOl

- - - Updated - - -

My father was a chief officer on the Benline ships during the 60,s and 70,s he mainly sailed the Far East trips and his name was Alex McKinnon ,he would have been 97 this year. He was torpedoed 3 times during WW2 and survived like many others on water and biscuits until rescued.

Alan milburn
19th November 2019, 08:08 AM
Hi Mike,

In respose to your thread I sailed on the SS Benvorlich as EDH joined in Hamburg 12/11/67 and paid off in London 26/04/68 last trip with British crew before she was scrapped. She was a rust bucket but a great crew! I now live in Helensburgh West Coast of Scotland.

Regards

Andy Stewart R805875

I remember passing the vorlich on the benreoch and first leccy remarked it was on it,s way to be scrapped. We where in the channel headind to southampton

Leonard Nicol
22nd January 2020, 05:15 AM
Hi Mike, I'm from Inverness and the Benledi was my second ship which I joined in Liverpool on 6th Feb. 1956 as deck boy. I saw quite a few countries of the world during a voyage lasting six months and five days. My next ship was the Benvrackie upon which I carried on as deck boy and junior ordinary seaman from 3rd Sept. 1956 until 28th August 1957. It had the greatest crew I ever sailed with in 24 years at sea and changed my life completely for the best. I went on the Hudson Sound for almost three months before joining my fifth ship the Bencruachan as EDH. I loved sailing to the Far East but I wanted to see more of the world so did a couple of years with Shaw Saville and quite a few other ships, ending up seeing 30 countries before emigrating to New Zealand in 1962. I did another 15 years on New Zealand ships and Australian ships seeing Japan eleven times and South Korea six times. Regards Leonard Nicol

Dave Sutherland
9th May 2020, 03:07 PM
Hi, My name is Dave Sutherland and I was a Steward on the Benlawers, joined in Hull November 1973 left march 1974 I also sailed with P&O, Shaw Savill, Sugar Line, Bowering Steamship, North of Scotland Shipping Co. I now live in Aberdeenshire

Dave Sutherland
9th May 2020, 03:16 PM
Hi Mike, when I replied to your message I forgot to leave my email address - davietr7rv@hotmail.co.uk I live in Aberdeenshire

Jimmy Scougall
11th June 2020, 07:00 PM
Hi, My name is Dave Sutherland and I was a Steward on the Benlawers, joined in Hull November 1973 left march 1974 I also sailed with P&O, Shaw Savill, Sugar Line, Bowering Steamship, North of Scotland Shipping Co. I now live in Aberdeenshire

Hi Dave, Jimmy Scougall here I was on the Benlawers with you I was J.O.S. that trip my brother Iain and my step-brother Micky were also on that trip.
I do remember you and another steward called Hammy, you'll probably remember big John Teale the biggest man I ever sailed with he was huge but a gentleman other guys were Ian McDonald, Terry [elvis] Kim Butler and Donald Poulson. anyway how you doing ? Il left the sea 1979 but still have great memories of that trip and many other trips I had. I settled down in Edinburgh and I'm a grandad now. Hope everything is ok with you and take care
All the Best Jimmy

Denis O'Shea
11th June 2020, 09:29 PM
I sailed on the Benhiant in 1964, one trip as RO with Capt. George Nichol a great skipper also a good bunch of shipmates the Lecky was Jimmie Leaskie from Buckie. Rgds Den