PDA

View Full Version : In Memoriam...m.v.Derbyshire 9-10 Sept.1980

Gulliver
21st October 2008, 07:07 PM
Belated 28th anniversary remembrance of the 42 Officers and Crew and 2 Wives who tragically lost their lives on m.v.Derbyshire(Sept.9th-1980.)
And sincere condolences to their still-grieving families,colleagues and friends.

The m.v.Derbyshire was lost during a typhoon whilst en route from Sept.Iles,Canada to Kawasaki, Japan .She was and still is the largest British vessel lost in peacetime

The Enquiry into Her loss,I think many would agree, remains inconclusive.......

Links

www.en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/M.v._Derbyshire (http://www.en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/M.v._Derbyshire)
www.north-country.co.uk/derbyshire.htm (http://www.north-country.co.uk/derbyshire.htm)
www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/finalvoyage.asp (http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/finalvoyage.asp)

I can personally recommend a good book: A Ship Too Far( The Mystery of the Derbyshire) by Dave Ramwell and Tim Madge.(Publ:Hodder & Stoughton 1992-ISBN 0 310 56997 2)
It has several illustrations and chapters on her construction and relevant subsequent fate of some of her sister ships,and personal stories of The Derbyshire Families Association,and the general decline of the British
MN.

My personal interest is because I was a Cadet in Bibby Line.(note the House Flag: It was originally all red,but after the 1917 Russian Revolution it caused some consternation in continental ports.So in 1926 the Bibby family added their hand and dagger family crest.

My first ship was also called 'Derbyshire'-her cargo-ship predecessor.I also briefly met,during crew changes,3 of the Officers who later perished on the new 'Derbyshire.

"We Will Remember Them"

Doc Vernon
21st October 2008, 08:27 PM
Hello Dave,
Thanks for posting that mate,its always nice (well sad) to read articles like this,its an eye opener !
I ahve read the last Link,and there is much to read there,but can you assist in the Museum Link,as i cannot seem to locate her there!
A sad and utter tragedy to say the least!
Cheers

Gulliver
21st October 2008, 08:41 PM
hi! Vern!

It's the least I could do-Bibby Liine gave me a good start to seafaring life-and I've always(even though I left them a bit too soon to go elsewhere) always been grateful and loyal to them.

About that link-it's a bit of an oldie and I should have checked it first before dredging it up from my HD.

Sorry-I'm going to search the web for it(maybe it's somewhere else.I'll let you know if I find it.

Davey

Doc Vernon
21st October 2008, 08:49 PM
hi! Vern!

It's the least I could do-Bibby Liine gave me a good start to seafaring life-and I've always(even though I left them a bit too soon to go elsewhere) always been grateful and loyal to them.

About that link-it's a bit of an oldie and I should have checked it first before dredging it up from my HD.

Sorry-I'm going to search the web for it(maybe it's somewhere else.I'll let you know if I find it.

Davey

Davey,
Please see PMessage just sent
Thanks
Vernon

Gulliver
21st October 2008, 10:41 PM
Thank You Vernon---All Links now operational.I see 8 Bells on my horizon,matey!:)

John Callon
21st October 2008, 10:55 PM
m.v.Derbyshire.

Hi Davey,

The loss of the Derbyshire meant a great deal to me. She was originally the Canadian Bridge before being renamed Derbyshire. By the way I also sailed on her predecessor the Cargo vessel Derbyshire on her second voyage, but thats another story.
Amongst personnel friends of mine who lost their lives were Captain Geoff Underhill , R/O Bish Waller
Carpenter Terry Bleasdale and Chief Engineer Norman Marsh. I spent quite some time in Bibbys on and off and during my time with them made some great friends.
One can not begin to imagine what happened on that fateful day, did the ship implode or explode?
Whatever the 42 men and two wives will never be forgotten. May they rest in peace.
I also lost a good friend on the Bibby OBO Ocean Bridge which exploded in the Bay of Biscay off the port of Corruna, His name being Captain Harry Pyle - the only fatality. I sailed with Harry on the Shropshire when he was Extra Chief Officer .
Going back to the Derbyshire, a crew change was to take place in Tokyo which makes the disaster even more poignant.
My thoughts are always with these men and the families left behind. May God be with them.

Regards
John C.

Doc Vernon
21st October 2008, 10:57 PM
Thank You Vernon---All Links now operational.I see 8 Bells on my horizon,matey!:)

And a thank you too for that!
Also i had been wondering about your Avatar and i am glad that you explained it,wasnt too sure what it was about!
Something nice and different!:)
Cheers

Ian Walsh (paddy)
21st October 2008, 11:19 PM
Davey,many thanks for those links,dreadfully sad,especially finding out how many bulkers were sinking in the 7os,
all the best,
Ian

Gulliver
21st October 2008, 11:35 PM
Hi there !John-nice to hear from you again-I remember talking to you when I first joined here about 6 weeks ago.-you said you had good memories of Bibby's.
I've only just restored the link to the third site on my list-the Liverpool museum site,and poignantly it gives a crew list.

I knew the Purser,Bill,and 2/e david Jones and Anne-Marie. and also sad now to see c/E Norman Marsh was on there as well.my god!

Also remember whilst I was on 'Staffordshire being close to Ocean Bridge off Finisterre in 1971-she'd gone to the aid of a trawler and was tankcleaning when an explosion occurred-it blew the Master off the bridge-I can't just remember his name now.

About the Bibby line forum-I just thought it was a shame not to see any postings,so I'm glad I started the thread.Like the site here all the more now-takes a while to navigate round it-keeps the old grey matter active though! some good stuff here,and great characters.

Catch you Later!;)

Davey

Geoff Anderson
22nd October 2008, 02:25 AM
HI all.
Remember reading about the Derbyshire, and saw a doco on a few years back. trying to think of the doco, but in sure they found her with a remote ROV.i can still see her bow name.
The hardest part for the families must be the un anwsered questions as to how any why did this happen. and not really knowing where their loved ones lie it must be very hard for them.
My thoughts are with them. and also to you lads that have lost good mates.
LEST WE FORGET.
best wishes geoff.

stevesherratt
22nd October 2008, 03:16 PM
My sympathy goes to the families of those who lost their lives on the Derbyshire and we can only hope it was quick – poor beggars drowned in their bunks.
My wife hated heavy weather and rolling that left the door curtain at an alarming angle and you could look along the Flying Bridge and watch the hull flexing and bending. The US Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME) reported that over the last 20 years, over 13 Risk Components have been studied in the Derbyshire. Most interestingly SNAME found when looking at her longitudinal structure “the computed safety measure is found to be quite marginal” This brings me to the point of how many modern ship designs have constructions with marginal safety features? How would some of the “Wedding Cake” High Rise Passenger ships fair in a Hurricane?

Regards Steve R770014 South Derbyshire

mccoolcd2
22nd October 2008, 06:53 PM
ref post #6

Regards
John C.[/QUOTE]Hiya John/Davey,
The loss of the Derbyshire also means a lot to me as my best mate was lost that night she went down, we were freinds from school and both went away to sea at the same time, his name was Jimmy Greenland an A/S and came from a seafaring family as I did, I still have two postcards he sent us from the time he was on the Derbyshire, he had done a double header and was looking forward to paying off and getting home, but ah not to be, I raise a glass every Sept 9th to him and all his shipmates, lest we forget,
Colin.

Gulliver
22nd October 2008, 07:23 PM
Hi Colin! How right I was then in posting the tribute to Derbyshire,when it elicits such personal memoirs-it helps to share such poignant stories and it reaffirms to me that seafarers for all their outward cockiness are a deeply sensitive and caring lot.
I will also raise a glass for Jimmy Greenland tonight and in future years for all on 'Derbyshire' on the anniversary.

Yours
Davey

Gulliver
22nd October 2008, 07:56 PM
Hii again John-thank you for reminding me in your posting that it was Capt.Pyle,who was lost on Ocean Bridge.

About 'Derbyshire' Her hatches certainly imploded,as you said.
There's a simulation of what happened on the net,if you didn't see it. On the Wikipedia link(given again below)
www.en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/M.v._Derbyshire

Scroll down to External links,then open 'How the Derbyshire sank'.
It should open a Youtube video showing the simulation.

I have a fairly low-spec Notebook,and it plays O.K on it.

Sobering that the whole process happened in 2 minutes.The only analogy I can think of is :We humans are like the pilot-fish who live on and guide a shark,which is then devoured by a giant whale

It isn't pleasant and I don't wish to dwell on it.

See you,mate.Davey

Scully
23rd October 2008, 01:17 AM
Hiya Davey/John Callon,
I know I asked you this another time Davey but did you remember Nigel Malpass, do you remember him John.
He was the Master of the Devonshire in 83 when my brother was on the ship. Nigel's younger brother also was a seafarer, I can't recall his name at the moment. Nigel was a nice man & very kindly sent me a book about the history of Bibby Line.
Kind regards,
Tracey R59268 HSOD

happy daze john in oz
23rd October 2008, 05:22 AM
Am of the opinion that most of todays so called ships, mainly used for cruises, would not withstand heavy seas. friend of mine in the travel buisiness told me that many of them only cruise certain seas at certain times when normaly they would not encounter bad weather. Whilst much of this is for the comfort of passengers it is also because they are built in such a way that they will not withstand heavy seas.:eek:

Mike Hall
23rd October 2008, 09:10 AM
as suggested,i have just watched how the ship sank.
i just can not believe how quick it must have been.
what the hell must have gone through the bridge peoples
minds when they saw this happening.

i am sorry i just can not say anymore i am speechless:cool:

John Callon
23rd October 2008, 10:18 AM
Hi Tracey,
Yes I knew Nigel Malpass from when he was a Deck Cadet in Bibbys to his present position. He is in charge of the Isle of Man Office that Bibby Line have there. In fact a couple of their ships are regiistered in The Isle of Man.
Regards,
John C.

Scully
23rd October 2008, 10:55 AM
HiJohn,
Thank you for the reply. Nigel left that position to start up his own business with his wife Gill in IOM. The company is Malmar Marine & he is now involved in politics over there. He was a witness in 2002 in the reopening of the investigation into the loss of MV Derbyshire after he spent 12 months working with the legal team.
Kind regards,
Tracey.R59268 HSOD

mccoolcd2
23rd October 2008, 06:32 PM
REF POST #13

Thanks Davey, good on you,
All the best,
Colin.

happy daze john in oz
24th October 2008, 05:26 AM
as suggested,i have just watched how the ship sank.
i just can not believe how quick it must have been.
what the hell must have gone through the bridge peoples
minds when they saw this happening.

i am sorry i just can not say anymore i am speechless:cool:

G'day mike, yes two minutes is the time estimated it took for her to go down. Not time to do anything, it must have been horrific. God rest their souls.

Gulliver
24th October 2008, 07:38 AM
hi! Tracey/John;thanks for the info on John Malpass During my time there I probably heard the name-but can't put a face to the name.Unfortunately lost my Bibby Gazettes during one of life's transitional moments.

Rather proud to have served my time with Bibby's.Great Company! For anyone else interested see Links at end of post-I can recommend The Download (pdf).They're certainly diversified now,which is the key to survival in the 21st century!

Tracey-I really should try to revisit Liverpool-my last was in 86,when I visited the impressive Albert Docks complex.Saw an exhibition about the Port and its connexions with the Slave Trade.
(Till then I'm keeping an eye on the Liverpool Webcam!)

www.bibbygroup.co.uk/index2.html
http://www.bibbygroup.co.uk/history.asp

Regards Davey

Steve Goldswain
24th October 2008, 07:58 AM
i was on leave into the second week of 4 off the lincolnshire when i got a telegram to fly out to relive on the derbyshire i had a few bob and was half pissed (in the pub with some mates) so i flaged it the decisions we make i did a trip on the westminster bridge if i had known how dangerous they were(bulkers) i wouldnt have touched it with a barge pole, but young and bullet proof you just dont think

Phil Jones
13th November 2008, 05:35 AM
G'day Dave

I sailed with Bibby Line 1951 to 1964 on migrant ships and troopers, Cheshire and Devonshire mainly. Standby and coastals on the majority of the Rangoon ships. Ref the Derbyshire I sailed with a few of the crew that went down on her,Bish Waller and Normie Marsh. I took over from Bish on the Cheshire, Shropshire and Yorkshire (Eastern Princess) during the 1960's. He was a great bloke.
For info, there is a good book "Return of the Coffin Ships" by Bernard Edwards which relates quite a bit to the enigma of the Derbyshire and other OBO carriers and their demise.
Rgds Phil

Gulliver
13th November 2008, 08:36 AM
:) Hi Phil-Nice to hear from an ex-Bibby man.Would have loved to sail on those last troopers.Unfortunately the last one of all Oxfordshire was sold just before I started serving my time.I believe she became the 'Fairstar '(pass).My first trip was on the '66-built cargo ship Derbyshire,virtually all round the world on charters for Safmarine,BI etc. Great intro to sealife! Four years later I left the company for 'greener' oceans(as you do when you're younger)! I think 7 X 3 week round trips across the winter Atlantic on Dart America had something to do with that!

So,21 years at sea for me,then 18 years in the Transport(bus) industry(North Wales & London. Guess which one I liked best! Took early retirement last year-life's too short and sod the money!
-I look in the mirror and can't believe it was nearly 40 years ago I walked up that gangway(do you think there's just a few of us here who feel like that?(Ha Ha!)

AndI 'll try and read that book you suggest.

Take Care,mate-See You Later!

Davey

David Williams
14th November 2008, 03:19 PM
Dear Gulliver.
Just read your article on the Dearbyshire.Thank you for that.I never think
about things like this,and without people like your good self,events like this
are soon forgotten.Please carry on the good work.

Dave Williams(R583900)

John Petches
8th December 2008, 12:30 PM
:)John,
Just to let you know the Derbyshire was not called the Canadian Bridge she was called the Liverpool Bridge when she first sailed I think you must of got mixed up mate
Regards

John Petches
8th December 2008, 12:53 PM
Dear Gulliver.
Just to ask do you know any way to confirm when the Liverpool Bridge maiden voyage, then after got renamed Derbyshire first sail out of the hock of Holland test trails the engine room exploded a 3th engineer name Bob Prescott from Hyton was killed I believe & an electrician was badly burned can’t think of his name we just called him Geordie but he came from New Castle way just wondering just two lads I had sailed with on the
Canadian-Bridge

DeepSea
8th December 2008, 01:40 PM
The Liverpool Bridge was originally part of the Seabridge Consortium, Bibby Line being part of this group. The ship made her maiden voyage in 1976 after being launched from the River Tees. The Seabridge Consortium disolved in 1977 and Bibby Line took three ships with her including the Liverpool Bridge, which was renamed Derbyshire in 1978.

Tommy Golling
8th December 2008, 02:21 PM
I remember the m.v.derbyshire, though i did not sail with bibby line i was on the shell tankers. And at the time we received a message telling us that the great ore carrier had tragically been sunk by typhoon orchid, south of japan on that ill fated day in 1980, how the sorrow was felt by all on board our ship the only link i had with the m.v.derbyshire was i lost agood friend who i was at school with john james greenland (steward) and peter lambert who was a neighbour many years ago, i am pleased that people still remember,let us not forget the gerat seaman all over who have lost there lives to the sea.

Gulliver
8th December 2008, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=DeepSea;13261]The Liverpool Bridge was originally part of the Seabridge Consortium, Bibby Line being part of this group. The ship made her maiden voyage in 1976 after being launched from the River Tees. The Seabridge Consortium disolved in 1977 and Bibby Line took three ships with her including the Liverpool Bridge, which was renamed Derbyshire in 1978.[/QUOTE

Hi Guys. The correct facts are like DeepSea says. Derbyshire(4th ship of the Line to have that name) was launched as Liverpool Bridge--apparently she was considered 'jinxed'(a common occurrence amongst we seafarers when earlier incidents happen). due to 2 ER personnel being killed in an explosion on trials. Due to downturn in general economy and collapse of charter market,Bibby withdrew and renamed her Derbyshire in 78(like Deepsea says.)
I left Bibby's end of 72-and admit I didn't know about the'trials' explosion(sad) until I read that excellent book
""A Ship Too Far-The Mystery of the Derbyshire" by Dave Ramwell and Tim Madge ISBN 0-340-56997-2(1992).Eccellent read to buy or borrow.
Incidentally another of Derbyshire's sisters-the English Bridge was sold to foreign interests who renamed her Kowloon Bridge---she suffered structural failure off Bantry Bay---it's possible/probable relevance is discussed in the book.

Too many 'Bridges' here! Time to go! Davey

Ernie Higham
29th December 2008, 10:14 PM
I was on two Bibby ships the Lincolnshire twice, the first trip conventional the second GP. The second ship was the Australian bridge which we joined off Capetown by means of helicoptor, up to Japan, down to Singapore, stripped of all stores paint ect, then over to Brunie, Borneo then she was mothballed and we were flown home. Nine weeks trip all told, as far as I know she is still there.

Stubbsy5050
17th February 2009, 01:28 PM
John,

Thanks for your posting. Harry Pyle was my father in law.

The family are sad that we know very little about his career. We know he captained Pacific Bridge, Atlantic Bridge and finally lost his life on Ocean Bridge (later renamed, I think, Gloucestershire) so the fact that he was on the Shropshire adds another piece to the puzzle.

If you can add any dates it would be appreciated, as would any other information on Harry Pyle from you or any other members.

Captain Pyle's body was recovered and buried at Huelva in Spain when the salvagers put into port. We visited the grave last year to find it sadly unmarked and overgrown. We have now had it cleaned up and a proper headstone put in place.

Thanks again.

John S.

Geoff Valentine
26th March 2009, 10:57 AM
Hi John,

The Derbyshire was originally called 'LIVERPOOL BRIDGE' before becoming the Derbyshire.

Canadian Bridge was sold to Shell and became the Tectus hauling coal from Australia to Europe.

Regards

Geoff Valentine

ex Radio Officer Bibby Line

calway
15th May 2009, 04:24 PM
i am robert prescotts sister, just read your post and the name of the electrician according to a newspaper clipping in the liverpool echo that i have, is maxwell biggam from glasgow

from reading your post it seems you knew my brother and sailed with him, i was wondering if you or anyone else have any infortmation or pictures about his time on the ships as over the years details become harder and harder to find

Gulliver
15th May 2009, 04:56 PM
ref post#35

Hi Calway(sorry no first name..yet. Firstly welcome to this wonderful site. I am the originator of this particular thread...about 'Derbyshire'. I'm not sure who in the thread you are referring to!

Or did you mean one of the other headings in the Bibby Line forum?

Sorry,I know it's confusing at first,but please take your time,there's always someone here to reply.

If you'd like to elaborate a bit more on your query,I'm here!

Davey(Gulliver)

calway
15th May 2009, 06:11 PM
Sorry my last message was for John Petches!

Gulliver
15th May 2009, 07:55 PM
Sorry my last message was for John Petches!

Hi Calway. Just for your information I notice John Petches has not been on-line since December10th,2008,so you may not get a reply. (Check his name in the Members List tab above).
PS You can always send him a Private Message via this site. Click on his name,then select Send Private Message.

Regards from Gulliver

Gulliver
16th May 2009, 11:34 AM
Good Morning Calway!

Looking back through the thread I realised you are talking about your dear brother 3rd Engineer Robert Prescott. (mentioned in post 28) So sorry I missed that)
How terrible for Robert,and dreadful for you and the rest of the family. Please accept my condolences about your brother.

I never knew him,but remember seeing his name in Bibby Gazette Crew Lists....wish I still had them.

Hope you managed to contact John Petches?

Warm Regards from Davey

Gulliver
16th May 2009, 12:43 PM
Yes Cap'n,there've been many 'close calls',with people 'missing the Derbyshire.
Particularly sad though for Calway (previous recent posts),whose brother Robert Prescott was killed during the trials ER explosion,which was largely overshadowed by the Typhoon loss that everybody knows about just a few years later.

We just never know....we'd all do it again though.......

Cheers from Davey

Billieboy
17th May 2009, 10:12 AM
Surprising, some of the stories above, I had dealings with Kowloon Bridge and Tectus. Regarding Kowloon Bridge, on it's last loaded voyage prior to sinking off Ireland, she suffered extreme heavy weather damage, on the deck and aft, in way of the Emergency generator room on the lower bridge deck. The steel plate reinforced (not Watertight) doors had been stove in by a "Greenie" coming in over the Port quarter. The Theoretical loading of the suspect "Frame 67(8?)", should have meant that the ship was lost there and then!. The Deck damage was port side also, where a following sea had come aboard and damaged hatch coming support brackets on the forward five hatches, cracks were also seen in the vertical hatch combing plates.

On Tectus, the vessel, in ballast, was anchoring at Vlissingen one afternoon/evening, when the order, "Let Go Port", was given as the vessel was making about six to eight knots astern because of wind and tide, so the whole locker emptied, leaving me to fix it up in the middle of the night. As usual this was the first of about five consecutive anchor and windlass repair jobs.

It was a tragic loss, the Derbyshire, but the results of inquiries into such losses does, eventually, improve safety at sea, although, the manning scales leave a lot to be desired. Nine men on a 300.000DWT ship is not enough for safe watch-keeping and general/emergence maintenance IMHO.

Gulliver
17th May 2009, 10:46 AM
Hi Billieboy.

I had just finished replying to Calway,in the Robert Prescott posting,when I saw this.
You might like to look at that Link I placed to the Derbyshire Forum in 'Ships Nostalgia'.
(36 pages of it)

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=8084&highlight=DERBYSHIRE

Cheers!
Davey

Billieboy
18th May 2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks mate, had a look, quite interesting!:)

Phil Jones
26th May 2009, 04:51 AM
Hi Davey,
I have seven Bibby Gazettes - 1978-1983, and as they are a bit past my time with Bibby's I will post them on to you if you are interested. All I need is a postal address.
Salaams
Phil

Gulliver
26th May 2009, 07:51 AM
Hi Phil! It's been a while since we spoke in these pages. How are you? Bahut Atcha,sahib. I hope!

That would indeed be a grand gratefully accepted gesture, then I could post the Crew Lists within a Bibby Forum on the site,for reference.

I'll send you a Private Message in a while.
Salaams!
Davey

John Callon
26th May 2009, 09:45 PM
Hi Phil,
Would you be the Phil Jones who sailed on the Troopship Devonshire early 60's as one of the R/O's. If so then we sailed together - I was Chief Stewards Writer at the time.
Regards,
John.

Phil Jones
27th May 2009, 09:00 AM
G'day John

Yes, I remember you- strange after all these years. She was a very happy ship and after being on her for over four years I have very fond memories. I swallowed the anchor in '64 and live in Aussie. On fairly frequent trips to the Old Dart since then I meet quite a few of the old Bibby boys and have had many a pint with Jimmy George ( Asst Purser). Alas, he died two years ago.
Salaams Phil

John Callon
27th May 2009, 12:39 PM
Hi Phil,

Many thanks for your mail, but it came as a great shock to read that Jimmy George had died. I was with Bibbys until 1976 on and off and every time I was on leave met up with Jimmy and had a few pints in Wrigbys. Do you remember Willie Crooke and Willy Bell, both Jnr Engineers then, sailed with them on the Shropshire and Ocean Bridge respectively. Good to hear that you are well and fit. Still can't believe that Jimmy has died. I went live on the Isle of Man in 1977, now living in Scotland so kind of lost touch with those I knew in Liverpool.
Regards, John.

Phil Jones
2nd June 2009, 09:38 AM
Hi John

Could you kindly forward your private Email address, couple of pics to send

salaams

Phil Jones

John Callon
2nd June 2009, 10:47 AM
Hi Phil,
My email address is john@sincal.co.uk. Looking forward to the pics.
Many thanks,
John.

Gulliver
14th June 2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Bill and Welcome Aboard this Great Ship.Glad this site is doing it's job(despite what some 'knockers' think! ) i.e. helping old friends to keep in contact. I joined Bibby's in 69,a few years after you retired,and it's so true that the Company instilled great family loyalty in it's personnel.
Wish I could have been there in the late 50's/early 60's - although I would have been only about 10 years old then(ha!)
But,as the Devonshire was sold to BI,and converted to a school cruise ship(the Devonia),now I think about it I could have been on her ,and at sea much earlier. There was a school cruise to the Iberian Peninsula in 66,only my poor parents(God Bless 'em) couldn't afford to send me on her.
I was consoled by a trip on the Royal Iris from Liverpool to New Brighton!
There is another thread on Bibby's in the Shipping Company Forums,or you can use the Search Box to find other Bibby Line threads elsewhere.

I like the quote you used - " old age does not travel alone, it carries a large amount of baggage". How true is that!

Pleased to meet another Bibby old-timer,and hope you're here for a good while.
All the Very Best
Davey(Gulliver)

Geoff Anderson
14th June 2009, 08:42 AM
HI BILL Just another warm Welcome to you. Find yourself a cabin and i hope you enjoy your stay
Geoff :D

Phil Jones
16th June 2009, 05:19 AM
Hi Willie

Great to hear from you and thanks for the Pic ,who is the handsome lad in the centre? can put a name to all except the chap on the extreme left he was a junior engineer and I think Normie Marsh is second from the right. After leaving the Devonshire I had a trip on the Cheshire susposed to be on MANZ charter but ended up the Gulf. Two trips on the Shropshire and finally 15 months on the Yorkshire (Eastern Princess) Aussie/Japan great trip. Got married and now live in Hobart Tasmania. Will you let me have your email address and I 'll send a few Pics. Salaams to Ray when you talk to him next

Cheers Phil

Gulliver
16th June 2009, 08:11 AM
Hi Guys! Really great to see some Bibby Line officers in their tropical whites again.Don't you look smart,too!
The only items not still de riguer when I joined as cadet in 69 were the white shoes(less of an expense for my dear old mum who just about paid off my uniform expenses 6 months later....God Bless her! ) Somehow,black shoes never went with the whites quite so well.
I remember sailing with the Chief,Norman Marsh.....who sadly was lost on the Derbyshire in 1980.......RIP,Mr Marsh.......
Salaams from Davey

Doc Vernon
17th June 2009, 02:47 AM
Hi Bill
Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
Hope we will have you here for a long time!
A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
Cheers

Also"

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
Thank you

Please go to following Link

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

Gulliver
8th September 2009, 08:28 PM
On this 29th Anniversary ..... In Remembrance of the 44 Persons Who Lost their Lives in m.v.Derbyshire,on 9th September 1980.

ALLIS Kevin Jnr.Eng.Officer
BAYLIS Francis Arthur Chief Officer
BEST Phillip Joseph Steward
BINDON Paul Joseph Extra 2nd Officer
BLEASE Thomas Victor Petty Officer/Carpenter
BOND Richard Petty Officer
BROWN Terence GP1
BUCKLEY William Purser /Chief Steward
BUJANG Ali Bin GP1
BURKE Timothy GP1
COATES Nigel GP1
CHEDOTAL Frederick James Electrical Eng.Officer
COLTMAN Leo Thomas Mackenzie 3rd Eng.Officer
CRONE John James 2nd Steward
FREEMAN Mark Jnr.Catering Rating
GORDON Andrew Steward
GORDON Alexander Turner Steward
GRAHAM Joseph Henry 2nd Cook
GREENLAND John James Steward
HARDMAN Barry James Chief Cook
HODGES Anthony Jack Chief Petty Officer
HUNT William Leonard 4th Engineer Officer
HUTCHINSON Graeme Extra 3rd Engineer Officer
HUTCHINSON Mrs.Anne- Marie Wife of Graeme
JONES David Hugh 2nd Engineer Officer
JONES Mrs.Mary Wife of David
KANE Norman Gibson Aiken GP1
KING Paul Desmond Jnr.Engineer Officer
LAMBERT Peter GP1
LANGTON Bernard GP2
MARSH Norman Chief Engineer Officer
MUSA Ali Bin Haji GP1
MUSA Ronnie GP1
NOBLETT James GP1
RAPLEY Clive William Extra Chief Officer
RIDYARD David Michael Extra 4th Engineer Officer
SEKAH Badarun Bin GP1
STOTT Adrian Keith Jnr.Seaman
TAYLOR Peter John Petty Officer
TAYLOR Raymond William 2nd Officer
UNDERHILL Capt.Geoffrey Victor Master
WALLER Roy Alfred Radio Officer
WILLIAMS Griffith Wyn GP1
WILLIAMSON Edward Frank Jnr.Engineer Officer

Also Remembering

PRESCOTT Robert 3rd Engineer Officer
BIGGAM Maxwell Electrical Engineer Officer

Who tragically lost their lives earlier , in 1976,in the Derbyshire(when named Liverpool Bridge)

Once again,our thoughts are also with the Families,Friends,and ex- Shipmates(including several of us on this site) .

.....We Will Remember Them......

John Callon
8th September 2009, 10:08 PM
A very fitting tribute Davey to those who perished on the Derbyshire. Never will they be forgotten and may they rest in Gods arms forever. It could have been anyone of us.
John

Doc Vernon
8th September 2009, 10:23 PM
And from me too Davey,may they all Rest In Peace forever!
As said a very fitting tribute!
Sincerly

jon dee
9th September 2009, 01:25 AM
Hi Davey, I was in 'The Sailors Church' here in Liverpool on Sunday. In the corner of the Chapel, there is a book of remembrance listing all those who drowned on the Derbyshire. Needless to say, all our thoughts were with them, their families and friends. They will never be forgotten. .........jdLp.

Scully
9th September 2009, 05:19 PM
To all those lost souls, Rest in Peace.
Sincerely,
Tracey.

Gulliver
9th September 2009, 05:49 PM
Hi Tracey! Always nice to hear from you. You were one of the first to reply to me when I first joined this site-one year ago now!

I should also have remembered that you lost your dear brother too ; JOHN SCULLY who died aboard yet another Bibby vessel,the Devonshire,in 1983.

We will remember them All.......

God Bless,Tracey

Davey

Keith at Tregenna
9th September 2009, 05:51 PM
Let those who come after see to it that his name be not forgotten".

Let those who come after us to it that our names be not forgotten".

Let those who come after see to it that we are not forgotten".

THANK YOU TO ALL THAT REMEMBER:

LEST WE FORGET.

Scully
9th September 2009, 07:42 PM
God Bless you Davey.
Heartfelt thanks.
Tracey.xx

roya
11th September 2009, 12:02 PM
Forever lost a real nice bunch of people.

Salied with most of them the trip before and remember them well to this day.

bernie mcdonald
24th January 2010, 08:31 PM
The electrician on the Liverpool Bridge was called Max Biggam and was from Glasgow. Unfortunately he also died of his wounds within days of the accident.
I sailed with him on the Canadian Bridge the trip before his death, he was a lovely bloke and left a wife and two children.

Bernie

Geoff Valentine
27th August 2010, 10:00 PM
Hi,

I know this is rather trivial, however, the Derbyshire was originally named Liverpool Bridge.

Geof

Ex Bibby Line

Gulliver
9th September 2010, 07:15 AM
This year isthe 30th Anniversary ..... In Remembrance of the 44 Persons Who Lost their Lives in m.v.Derbyshire,on 9th September 1980.
The years pass by so quickly,but the disbelief and sorrow of the sudden loss remain in our thoughts today and always……..

Please pause awhile and remember here-

ALLIS Kevin -Jnr.Eng.Officer
BAYLIS Francis Arthur -Chief Officer
BEST Phillip Joseph- Steward
BINDON Paul Joseph -Extra 2nd Officer
BLEASE Thomas Victor- Petty Officer/Carpenter
BOND Richard- Petty Officer
BROWN Terence- GP1
BUCKLEY William -Purser /Chief Steward
BUJANG Ali Bin -GP1
BURKE Timothy- GP1
COATES Nigel -GP1
CHEDOTAL Frederick James- Electrical Eng.Officer
COLTMAN Leo Thomas Mackenzie- 3rd Eng.Officer
CRONE John James -2nd Steward
FREEMAN Mark -Jnr.Catering Rating
GORDON Andrew- Steward
GORDON Alexander Turner- Steward
GRAHAM Joseph Henry -2nd Cook
GREENLAND John James -Steward
HARDMAN Barry James -Chief Cook
HODGES Anthony Jack -Chief Petty Officer
HUNT William Leonard -4th Engineer Officer
HUTCHINSON Graeme- Extra 3rd Engineer Officer
HUTCHINSON Mrs.Anne- Marie- Wife of Graeme
JONES David Hugh -2nd Engineer Officer
JONES Mrs.Mary -Wife of David
KANE Norman Gibson Aiken- GP1
KING Paul Desmond -Jnr.Engineer Officer
LAMBERT Peter -GP1
LANGTON Bernard- GP2
MARSH Norman -Chief Engineer Officer
MUSA Ali Bin Haji -GP1
MUSA Ronnie- GP1
NOBLETT James -GP1
RAPLEY Clive William -Extra Chief Officer
RIDYARD David Michael -Extra 4th Engineer Officer
SEKAH Badarun Bin -GP1
STOTT Adrian Keith- Jnr.Seaman
TAYLOR Peter John -Petty Officer
TAYLOR Raymond William -2nd Officer
UNDERHILL Capt.Geoffrey Victor -Master
WALLER Roy Alfred -Radio Officer
WILLIAMS Griffith Wyn- GP1
WILLIAMSON Edward Frank -Jnr.Engineer Officer

Also Remembering
PRESCOTT Robert -3rd Engineer Officer
BIGGAM Maxwell -Electrical Engineer Officer

Who tragically lost their lives earlier , in 1976, also in the Derbyshire(when named Liverpool Bridge) 
and

SCULLY John - GP 1 who died aboard another Bibby vessel,m.v.Devonshire in 1983

Once again,our thoughts are also with the Families,Friends,and ex- Shipmates

Mike Hall
9th September 2010, 09:06 AM
as its been mentioned in the posts above,today is the day that the derbyshire was lost with all her crew.
since reading about this ship and all her crew,it has upset me for some unknown reason.

i have been going through the national archives looking for the registration numbers of each person,so that i could list them,the same way as i have listed all my former ship mates.
i have managed to almost complete this,apart from nine names.
one of the names i feel very sad for,is as follows
ADRIAN KEITH STOTT--JUNIOR SEAMAN--THIS WAS HIS FIRST TRIP TO SEA.

may they all rest in peace.

Scully
9th September 2010, 06:36 PM
Hi Davey, Those 2 years since you joined have flown over!
Bless you for remembering once again all those lost souls & thank you for remembering my beautiful brother.
May they all rest in peace. Never far from our thoughts.
Lots of love to everyone.
Tracey.R59268 HSOD.xx

andy flewker
16th September 2010, 09:41 PM
Ii was Ships Cook aboard the M.V. Dart Atlantic and i remember recieving the news that evening via one of the officers that the Derbyrshire was in very heavy weather thyphoone orchid and might have to'' heave too', the following day she had been reported missing and sadly we guessed the worst. Many of the crew and officers knew members aboard i in particular had sailed with the Cheif steward only nine months earlier (xmas trip) Bill Buckley he was a great man and a sad loss one i would have sailed with again anytime'. still in my thoughts and will allways remain so.

Gulliver
9th September 2011, 04:05 PM
This year isthe 31st Anniversary ..... In Remembrance of the 44 Persons Who Lost their Lives in m.v.Derbyshire,on 9th September 1980.
The years pass by so quickly,but the disbelief and sorrow of the sudden loss remain in our thoughts today and always……..

Please pause awhile and remember here-

BAYLIS Francis Arthur -Chief Officer
BINDON Paul Joseph -Extra 2nd Officer
BROWN Terence- GP1
BUJANG Ali Bin -GP1
BURKE Timothy- GP1
COATES Nigel -GP1
GORDON Andrew- Steward
LAMBERT Peter -GP1
LANGTON Bernard- GP2
MUSA Ali Bin Haji -GP1
MUSA Ronnie- GP1
NOBLETT James -GP1
SEKAH Badarun Bin -GP1

Also Remembering

Who tragically lost their lives earlier , in 1976, also in the Derbyshire(when named Liverpool Bridge) 
and

Once again,our thoughts are also with the Families,Friends,and ex- Shipmates

Captain Kong
9th September 2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks for that Memorial, Davey. How time flies, 31 years.

I remember young Mark Fooks who survived the Pool Fisher sinking on 5 November 1979, 13 dead and two lads survived.
After staying home for a while to recover, went to the Pool in Liverpool and said "Give us the biggest ship you have, the little ones sink under me.". They gave him the Derbyshire, He flew to Yokohama with a few other men and sat in a hotel waiting for the Derbyshire. After a few days they flew him home again.The Derbyshire never arrived. Lucky again.
Cheers,
Brian.

john inman
6th November 2011, 12:43 PM
Belated 28th anniversary remembrance of the 42 Officers and Crew and 2 Wives who tragically lost their lives on m.v.Derbyshire(Sept.9th-1980.)
And sincere condolences to their still-grieving families,colleagues and friends.

The m.v.Derbyshire was lost during a typhoon whilst en route from Sept.Iles,Canada to Kawasaki, Japan .She was and still is the largest British vessel lost in peacetime

The Enquiry into Her loss,I think many would agree, remains inconclusive.......

Links

MV Derbyshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://www.en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/M.v._Derbyshire)
M.V. Derbyshire Mysterious Sinking - NORTH COUNTRY WEB (http://www.north-country.co.uk/derbyshire.htm)
Liverpool museums - The final voyage of MV Derbyshire (http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/finalvoyage.asp)

I can personally recommend a good book: A Ship Too Far( The Mystery of the Derbyshire) by Dave Ramwell and Tim Madge.(Publ:Hodder & Stoughton 1992-ISBN 0 310 56997 2)
It has several illustrations and chapters on her construction and relevant subsequent fate of some of her sister ships,and personal stories of The Derbyshire Families Association,and the general decline of the British
MN.

My personal interest is because I was a Cadet in Bibby Line.(note the House Flag: It was originally all red,but after the 1917 Russian Revolution it caused some consternation in continental ports.So in 1926 the Bibby family added their hand and dagger family crest.

My first ship was also called 'Derbyshire'-her cargo-ship predecessor.I also briefly met,during crew changes,3 of the Officers who later perished on the new 'Derbyshire.

"We Will Remember Them"

I had just left Bibby Line Prior to the loss of the Derbyshire, but sailed with some of the crew who went down with herI remember and sailed on the English Bridge with The Captain G Underhill, 2ne Eng Davy Jones and 3rd Eng Leo Coleman

john inman
7th November 2011, 12:38 PM
Hi Gulliver

As well as the loss of sea colleages on the Derbyshire, I also remember sailing with Max Biggam on one of the Bridge boats, Max was as with all the others Leo, Davy and Cpt Underhill great charactors and still remain in our minds after so many years. I can still remember every one of their faces.

It is true that the Derbyshire was having a crew change in Japan. The replacement crew was in Japan waiting for the ship also with them was the Captains wife Mrs Underhill.

Gulliver
7th November 2011, 01:04 PM
Hi Gulliver

As well as the loss of sea colleages on the Derbyshire, I also remember sailing with Max Biggam on one of the Bridge boats, Max was as with all the others Leo, Davy and Cpt Underhill great charactors and still remain in our minds after so many years. I can still remember every one of their faces.

It is true that the Derbyshire was having a crew change in Japan. The replacement crew was in Japan waiting for the ship also with them was the Captains wife Mrs Underhill.

That is good that we can remember some of them,John-I'm fortunate enough too in that I'm able to remember faces.
That is why I am pleased on this site that in some way we can remember our ex-colleagues,and hope it gives their families some comfort too knowing that others will always think of them...

Best Regards
Gulliver

Neil Hay
8th December 2011, 02:18 PM
...go I.

I was supposed to join the Derby in Capetown as eng cadet to finish my time then as junior - she was late, I went to the Stafford instead, and the Derby didn't reach her next port.

We were even in the same storm, which if I recall we circumvented, maybe hove to for a while. We knew she wasn't responding to radio calls, and suspected she had gone down. We went to the same port in Japan, so the guys waiting to join her all came on to the Stafford, an awful day that was.

Graham and Anne-Marie Huthcinson were neighbours and personal friends, and our family knew many on her - my Dad Bill Hay (2/E) and Brother Ian (R/O) were also in Bibby's in the past, so we had a lot of connections.

Leo Coltman, Arthur Bayliss, 'Gavu', Norman Marsh.....

RIP to all who perished.

Kevin Fields
3rd April 2012, 12:24 PM
I sailed with Jimmy Crone (and his wife, Anne) several times on the MV Linguist (Harrison Line). He was a Chief Steward but made redundant so joined Bibby's as a second steward.

A couple of years ago my brother told me that Jimmy's brother, George, was his neighbour in the Albert Dock and had been bemoaning the fact that he had no photos of Jimmy. I was able to dig a few out and pass them on.

Antony Jack Hodges was the bosun. Never met him but his dad, also called Jack, was a drinking buddy when I lived in Morecambe.

Gulliver
8th September 2012, 05:47 PM
This year is the 32nd Anniversary ..... In Remembrance of the 44 Persons Who Lost their Lives in m.v.Derbyshire,on 9th September 1980.

Please pause a while and remember here-

BAYLISS Francis Arthur -Chief Officer
BINDON Paul John -Extra 2nd Officer
BROWN Terence- GP1
BUJANG Ali Bin -GP1
BURKE Timothy- GP1
COATES Nigel -GP1
GORDON Andrew- Steward
LAMBERT Peter -GP1
LANGTON Bernard- GP2
MUSA Ali Bin Haji -GP1
MUSA Ronnie- GP1
NOBLETT James -GP1
SEKAH Badarun Bin -GP1

Also Remembering

and

Once again,our thoughts are also with All the Families,Friends,and ex- Shipmates .

Jim Brady
8th September 2012, 07:32 PM
I have just read in the Liverpool Echo that a permanent exibition has been set up at the Liverpool Maritime Museum in memory of the Derbyshire.Anyone visiting may like to look in on this.Items on display that have never been seen before including a uniform of one of those on board,it is hoped to add many more items and infact it is hoped that a memorial can be placed at the Pier Head.
Regards.
Jim.B.

John Callon
8th September 2012, 08:36 PM
In memory of the crew of the Derbyshire. Will always be remembered - it could have been any one of us.
John

Keith at Tregenna
9th September 2012, 03:37 AM
A formal investigation?

The families of the crew who died on MV Derbyshire wanted a formal investigation.

The UK Government refused because, without evidence, a formal investigation was not warranted. They did however ask two independent bodies to conduct research into the loss.

The Derbyshire Family Association (DFA) was formed in order to lobby for a formal investigation. It took the families twenty years before they learned how their loved ones had perished:

AN EARLIER MENTIONED LINK IN A MAJOR TOPIC ?

LINK: Liverpool museums - Searching for the truth about MV Derbyshire (http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/searching_for_truth.aspx)

K.

Kenneth Kenny
13th September 2012, 06:30 PM
My brother Alex,sailed with Tim Burke on the Rubbens,Lamport and Holt said he was great bloke alway's playing the Guitar,he married a lovely woman who had few children,he had afew drinks with them in Liverpool town centre pub,he said they were a really happy couple.May all of the Derbyshire Crew,R.I.P.amen.Ken.R634898.

Red Lead Ted
26th December 2012, 12:24 AM
If any of the lads on the site have a pound or two left in there pocket after the festivities can i please appeal to there better nature. This is a very important appeal on behalf of the stricken M.V.DERBYSHIRE. That initially her crew where blamed for. But this guy Paul Lambert who lost his brother Peter when all hands went down on her persisted with clearing there name and was adamant it was a structural fault that caused the biggest ship in British Maritime history to be lost with all hands back in 1980. No graves to visit for any of these family,s they are all in davy,s locker with there ship. Those familiar with the story will know 44 souls were lost aboard her she was one of Bibby,s registered in Liverpool. And a more fitting memorial which in my opinion Bibby,s should fund i cant think of. Just a footnote to this if anyone can afford any small donation, She went down on the 9th September 1980 during Typhoon Orchard in the Pacific. The family,s not only proved her fate but made a great donation for the safety of seaman today. I intend writing to Paul as there is no email address apparent. Thank you all if you can help raise the £30.000 plus in any small way. Follow the link and remember lads any cheques should be made payable to the { Derbyshire Trust Fund } The second link is a list of the crew and some pics of them who sadly lost there lives. Regards all Terry.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-communities/huyton-prescot/huyton-prescot-news/2012/12/24/echo-shipping-lines-for-christmas-eve-mon-24-dec-2012-100252-32485826/

Google Image Result for http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/graphics/large/mv_derbyshire_sea.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/graphics/large/mv_derbyshire_sea.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/crew_list.aspx&h=214&w=360&sz=19&tbnid=CRKEofxGZ_gXDM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcrew%2Bpics%2Bof%2Bthe%2BM.V.DERBYSHI RE%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=crew+pics+of+the+M.V.DERBYSHIRE&usg=__xD35_R4wbDhPpTVXvhKwAjOn9CI=&docid=z7wJsluNmYcFBM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OEPaUIzsHsuS0QWx8ICwAg&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAQ&dur=2527)

Captain Kong
26th December 2012, 09:16 AM
One of the two survivors of the POOL FISHER sinking, Mark Fooks, was sent to Yokohama to join the Derbyshire with half a dozen other lads., they waited a few days and were flown home again when the sad news came through.
He was lucky a second time.
I believe it was fault with a frame, some of the Derbyshire`s sister ships ended up wrecked.
I have the book by Capt. Ramwell in my collection somewhere.
Brian.

robpage
26th December 2012, 10:51 AM
One of the two survivors of the POOL FISHER sinking, Mark Fooks, was sent to Yokohama to join the Derbyshire with half a dozen other lads., they waited a few days and were flown home again when the sad news came through.
He was lucky a second time.
I believe it was fault with a frame, some of the Derbyshire`s sister ships ended up wrecked.
I have the book by Capt. Ramwell in my collection somewhere.
Brian.

At the risk of getting lectured on Bulk Carrier loading , i was sure that Prof. Faulkner ( University of Glasgow ) . He concluded: "Beyond any reasonable doubt, the direct cause of the loss of the MVDerbyshire was the quite inadequate strength of her cargo hatch covers to withstand the forces of Typhoon Orchid.I understand that the 1966 International Convention on Load Lines contained recommendations that the UK Government subsequently ignored . It that is Correct , then Swan Hunter , McGregor and teh Government should be building the memorial out of guilt

Captain Kong
26th December 2012, 11:32 AM
On GOOGLE. ALL THE PHOTOS OF THE WRECK......
One showing the Fore peak hatch open with a mooring rope on deck.....................
Including results for photos of the wreck of mv derbyshire.
Do you want results for photos of the wreck of MV Derbishire only?

Images of photos of the wreck of mv derbyshire
bing.com/images

MV Derbyshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_DerbyshireHistory · Investigations · Memorials
MV Derbyshire was an ore-bulk-oil combination carrier built ... to take preliminary photos, which confirmed the ... They examined the 135,774 pictures of the Derbyshire wreck ...

Gulliver
26th December 2012, 11:43 AM
They had this discussion on the other site(SN) and thanks mainly to a certain 'sockpuppet' and other hot-heads it turned into a most disrespectful sensationalist fiasco.
I introduced this thread principally as an 'In Memoriam 'dedication to the Derbyshire crew.Their families deserve respect.
Perhaps Admin would oblige those of you with a separate thread who want a debate on the tragedy. Or you could commence a New Thread within the Bibby Line Forum-but not in this thread.
I hope you all understand my feelings about this.
Best Regards
Gulliver

Red Lead Ted
26th December 2012, 12:15 PM
Quite right i agree with you, I only hope i live to see this memorial on the Pier Head here in Liverpool. As i said i will put pen to paper when i forward my contribution, And mention this thread to Paul Lambert, So expect a thanks of gratitude not to me, the family's concerned done all the hard work as they said it was like looking for a needle in a hay stack and then more important clearing her crew of any blame. My opinion on Bibby Line i will keep to myself its important not to turn this into the same charade that they did on S.N. This is about friends and comrades lost at sea it could have been anyone of us because of flaws in a very big bulk carriers design lets leave it at that and see if anyone from Bibby Line has any comment on the matter, R.I.P. Them all Regards lads Terry.:th_thth5952deef:

Red Lead Ted
27th December 2012, 02:33 AM
..... If that is Correct , then Swan Hunter , McGregor and teh Government should be building the memorial out of guilt

How correct you are, I had the same argument on another forum with ship owner's regarding the sinking of the M.V. HARMATTEN in December 1971 you wont be surprised they were proved wrong which i went out of my way to prove, The fund set up by the hulls insurance to ensure the men of the Harmattan J@G Harrison's of London who could never return to the sea for obvious reasons never happened, There is no place for ship owners on our forums, We were the guys who made them wealthy. No walk in the park as some suggested Regards Rob Terry. :(

robpage
27th December 2012, 08:27 AM
................I hope you all understand my feelings about this.

I was not trying to take this thread into an argument , I do not read the other site , although a member I have not logged in or commented there for a very long time . In reminding myself of the tragedy involving the MV Derbyshire , I came across the comments that the United Kingdom Government had resisted proposed changes to the 1966 Load Line convention and that seemed bizarre that the government of the day would let the commercial interests of the shipowner overrule the safe working of a ship . I took the information off a reliable source , and was quite surprised , So my thinking was if the Government had resisted the changes of a few extra tonnes of steel , then the shipowner , shipbuilder and the hatch cover manufacturer must have known too about the risks . They were eager to blame the crew at the time if my memory serves me correctly , and I just felt that if what I read about the load line changes being rejected by the UK were true , then someone should make a very big memorial as apology , so sorry if I gave the impression that I was trying to widen the debate , I was trying to say that the b*****rs have got away free again whilst Merchant Seamen took the pain and paid with their lives

Gulliver
27th December 2012, 10:31 AM
Disappointed that nobody is heeding my request to refrain from turning this respectable 'In Memoriam' thread into a debate attributing blame,construction etc.

I am in a good mind to pull the whole thread which was started by me 4 years ago.
If you want to talk about the actual sinking start A New Thread within the Bibby Line Forum.

This thread here is about remembering our ex-colleagues (some of them mine) and our memories of them.

Respectfully
Gulliver

John Petches
2nd April 2013, 11:18 PM
Derbyshire was called the Liverpool Bridge not Canadian Bridge mate sailed on both ships

Keith at Tregenna
2nd April 2013, 11:56 PM
MV Derbyshire:

MV Derbyshire (previously named MV Liverpool Bridge) was a British oil/bulk/ore (OBO) carrier built in 1976 by Swan Hunter of Newcastle and owned by Liverpool's Bibby Line. She was the last of six Bridge Class ships built between 1971 and 1976.

On 11 July 1980, she set sail from Canada bound for Japan carrying 157,446 tons of iron ore. A few days before she was due to arrive she was lost in the South China Sea during typhoon Orchid. All 42 crewmen and two wives perished, including 17 from Liverpool.

On 15 September a search commenced but after several days the ship was declared lost. The families were devastated and immediately began questioning how such a vast ship could disappear without a trace. To this day she remains the biggest British registered merchant ship ever to have been lost at sea.

The display also features leaflets, books and other material produced during the Derbyshire Family Association's long campaign for the truth and to improve safety procedures for bulk carriers

LINK 1: MV Derbyshire - Search for the Truth - Merseyside Maritime Museum, Liverpool museums (http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/2012-display.aspx)

LINK 2:
The sinking of MV Derbyshire - Merseyside Maritime Museum, Liverpool museums (http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/index.aspx)

John Arton
3rd April 2013, 05:10 PM
I remember the disappearance of the Derbyshire very well as we were bound for Sept Iles to load iron ore shortly after she was lost.
At that time there were a load of theories fling around about her loss. One that we got was that her cargo of DRI (Direct Reduced Iron ore) pellets, having been loaded wet, had been moving around and generated enough heat to self ignite. Some boffin claimed to have proof that this could happen and 2000 deg core temps. would evolve, meaning that the whole of the bottom of the ship would just drop out.
I recall streams of paper coming from the Office regarding all these theories along with the voyage orders.
The bottom line was that we were not to worry as we were not loading the same cargo....as if. On arrival at Sept Iles in about 5 ft. of snow, with the loader pouring 5000 tons plus into us before we had even finished tying up, that was when we discovered it was the same cargo type as the Derbyshire.
Loaded 122000 tons in about 12 hours and off we went to Japan. The boffins theory must have been a load of boll**ks as we had no problem, apart from boredom, on that voyage.
Sept Iles was a pretty unforgiving place, covered in feet of snow, bluddy cold and you had to arrive alongside with your hatches open as they started pouring the ore into you as soon as you were under the loader, tied up or not. No arrival draft survey, you had to use the last draft survey constant and you were only allowed on stop for final trimming calculations and that was it. You loaded on your draft marks, left the pier, anchored and then sent your calculations ashore. Agent came out with B/L based on ships figures and that was it, off you went into the sunset with the next ship already having started loading on the berth.
rgds
JA

garymac63
2nd August 2013, 04:44 PM
I was about halfway through my leave after my first trip on the Lincolnshire, so would have been around the middle of July 1980, when Stan Clayton rang me to ask if I fancied going back early as he was arranging crew for the Derbyshire. At the time I was having a ball being at home with a few quid in my pocket and didn't feel ready to go back. In all fairness to Stan he didn't put any pressure on me but did advise me that I might have to sign on the pool for a few weeks if I wanted to finish off my leave, but that there would be another ship for me soon afterwards if that was what I wanted to do. With this in mind I turned down the chance of joining the Derbyshire. I then joined the Hampshire in late August and was on there when the news of the Derbyshire reached us.
Even after all this time there is still a part of me that feels a bit of guilt and I often take time to think about the poor souls that were lost.

Ivan Cloherty
2nd August 2013, 05:52 PM
Gary, most of us who have survived something where others have not have a feeling of 'why' but there are some things that our beyond our control, but guilt should not play a part of it, you didn't choose to stay ashore because you knew the vessel was going to sink. None of us ever joined or didn't join because we knew, or even thought, the vessel was going to sink. Life throws some very strange things at us but to survive them is not a sin.

Gulliver
8th September 2013, 09:11 AM
m.v.DERBYSHIRE /Golf Uniform Lima Kilo...Lost 9th September 1980
This year will be the 33rd Anniversary ..... In Remembrance of the 44 Persons Who Lost their Lives in m.v.Derbyshire,on 9th September 1980.

BROWN Terence- GP1
BUJANG Ali Bin -GP1
BURKE Timothy- GP1
COATES Nigel -GP1
GORDON Andrew- Steward
LAMBERT Peter -GP1
LANGTON Bernard- GP2
MUSA Ali Bin Haji -GP1
MUSA Ronnie- GP1
NOBLETT James -GP1
SEKAH Badarun Bin -GP1

Also Remembering

and

Once again,our thoughts are also with All the Families,Friends,and ex- Shipmates .

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/attachments/bibby-line/10826d1339670635-memoriam-m-v-derbyshire-9-10-sept-1980-poppy1.gif

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/attachments/bibby-line/10827d1347126031-memoriam-m-v-derbyshire-9-10-sept-1980-bibby-.gifhttp://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/attachments/bibby-line/10828d1347126073t-memoriam-m-v-derbyshire-9-10-sept-1980-derbyshire-7343085-1978-1980-ex-liverpool-bridge.jpg (http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/attachments/bibby-line/10828d1347126073-memoriam-m-v-derbyshire-9-10-sept-1980-derbyshire-7343085-1978-1980-ex-liverpool-bridge.jpg)http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/attachments/bibby-line/10829d1240212902-memoriam-m-v-derbyshire-9-10-sept-1980-red-duster.gif

cappy
8th September 2013, 09:18 AM
after all the trouble with that class of vessel don't know why they were still at sea ......we will remember them

Brian Sladovich
16th October 2013, 05:24 PM
Much respect to all on board. Many of whom, I had the pleasure to sail with in the '70's.

james allison
1st August 2015, 08:46 PM
Hi this keith allison. did we sail together on the Atlantic Bridge in the early 70<s

Captain Kong
1st August 2015, 10:14 PM
Where is Gulliver now, He always had some very interesting posts and good information on many seafaring events. Miss his posts.
Brian

Gulliver
9th September 2016, 06:51 AM
In Memoriam...m.v.Derbyshire
m.v.DERBYSHIRE /Golf Uniform Lima Kilo...Lost 9th September 1980

This year will be the 36th Anniversary ..... In Remembrance of the 44 Persons Who Lost their Lives in m.v.Derbyshire,on 9th September 1980.

BROWN Terence- GP1
BUJANG Ali Bin -GP1
BURKE Timothy- GP1
COATES Nigel -GP1
GORDON Andrew- Steward
LAMBERT Peter -GP1
LANGTON Bernard- GP2
MUSA Ali Bin Haji -GP1
MUSA Ronnie- GP1
NOBLETT James -GP1
SEKAH Badarun Bin -GP1

Also Remembering

and