PDA

View Full Version : Reardon Smith Line

Glan Phillips
10th October 2008, 07:30 PM
Anyone still around who sailed with Reardon Smiths between 1947 and 1953. I sailed on the Leeds City, Orient City, Atlantic City and Devon City. Cheers....Glan

Geoff Anderson
10th October 2008, 08:54 PM
Anyone still around who sailed with Reardon Smiths between 1947 and 1953. I sailed on the Leeds City, Orient City, Atlantic City and Devon City. Cheers....Glan

hi seafarer.
did you ever come across a ray boucher from penarth,on your travels.he would have been an apprentice or 3rd mate.??
best wishes geoff.

Glan Phillips
11th October 2008, 02:25 AM
hi Geoff,
The name sounds familiar but I cannot place him right now. I started as an apprentice with Smiths in 47 and I think that ray boucher would have sailed with them about the same time that I was with them. I am originally from Swansea, been in Florida since 84, on cruise ships, but hope to return home for good early next year.....Cheers...Glan

David Neilson
24th May 2009, 09:49 AM
My Father David Jock Neilson (engineer) was on the Orient City aprox 49 to 53 would like to hear from anybody who knew him. I know on that trip they went to Bunbury oz. to Japan then Can. I have some photos of the crew will upload soon. You mybe in them David Neilson jr

Marcus
30th December 2009, 06:35 AM
Hi Fellow,

Finally I've found what I've been looking for !!!!

I'm officer of Brazilian Merchant Marine and I've been writing a book on the atacks suffered by brazilian merchant ships during the Second World War.

I've been making lots of researchs envolving the subject. One of them is on some allied ships that rescued brazilian survivors on lifeboats. Two of them were british ships - S.S. Leeds City and S.S. St. Fabian. I didn't find anything of those ships (some data and photo).

As you took part of the crew of Leeds City, could you please help me? To send data (shipbuilding, launching, year of construction, fate) and photo, please, use my e-mail:
mv.arantes@hotmail.com

Sincerely,

Marcus Arantes / 2nd. Engineer

AJ Hawker
30th December 2009, 03:08 PM
Hi Glan
Do not forget to drop me a line when you do finaly make it home to Welsh waters.
AJ Wales:cool:

Captain Kong
30th December 2009, 03:32 PM
My eldest brother was SOS on Vancouver City from March 1949 to September 1949. they should have been out a lot longer but they spent most of the voyage broken down and having repairs
Liverpool light ship to Cagliari to load salt for Japan then light ship to Vancouver and loaded fror Liverpool. Six months. He said quite a few of the crowd jumped in Vancouver.

Glan Phillips
30th December 2009, 08:00 PM
Hi David,
I sailed on the Orient City in 1948, signed off September 28th, 1948 at South Shields. I guess your Father joined the following year. Hopefully you can upload the photo's, I am sure that some of the crew that I sailed with will be there !
If you also have names of any of the crew members would you please post. Master during my time on board was Capt Fred Dodman.
Wishing you and yours a "Happy New Year".
Cheers.....Glan

Glan Phillips
30th December 2009, 08:22 PM
Hello Alan,
Thanks, I certainly will. I wonder what Barry looks like these days ? Spent quite some time there in the 1950's whilst sailing on board the 'flatties'. Wishing you and yours a "Happy New Year", (Bllwyddyn Newydd Dda)
Glan

Jane Ambrose
19th April 2011, 12:21 PM

Hello. I have been doing a bit of research on the Leeds City (though I've discovered there were four) because my Great Grandfather captained it (or one of them). His name was James Cook Smith. Have you ever heard of him - or was he perhaps earlier than you?

Reg Kear
20th April 2011, 11:28 PM
I sailed as a very ordinary seaman aboard the Fresno City from January to November in 1951, she is still one of my favourite memories. Ah Japan in 1951 was an extrordinary delicacy and West Australian Watch House was not a place to linger.. Skiper's name was J D Lloyd - a gentleman.

Reg Kear R527835

John Arton
21st April 2011, 10:49 PM
Hi out there,
Although I never sailed in the Reardon Smith line my father was in Captain of the salvage tug that got the S.S. Paris City off the beach at Alicante around 1951. Is there anyone out there who was on the ship at the time or have friends/family members who were on the ship at the time.
regards
Capt. John Arton

Sharon Rendle
16th October 2011, 05:52 PM
Fresno city was my dads ship around 1960 .Brian Norman his name

Jesica Randazzo
17th October 2011, 06:40 AM
http://www.makemoneymakemoney.net/huang1.jpg
http://www.makemoneymakemoney.net/huang2.jpg
http://www.makemoneymakemoney.net/huang3.jpg

I'm officer of Brazilian Merchant Marine and I've been writing a book on the atacks suffered by brazilian merchant ships during the Second World War.

Geoffrey Davies
4th June 2015, 12:36 AM
Glan
I sailed in the Reardon Smith ships from 1964 to 1970
Mv Eastern City, two Welsh Cities
As ever
Geoff

Des Taff Jenkins
4th June 2015, 06:29 AM
Hi Geoffrey.
Glan hasn't posted for a long time, he was captain on the luxury liners sailing out of Florida, he was saying he intended going back to Wales to live, but he had a restaurant in Florida. don't know if he is still there.
Cheers Des.