Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Years Today our "Lou" was taken away

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Three Years Today our "Lou" was taken away

Lou was a great man I was proud to spend some time with.
    He was with a family friend of mine when the Gloucester Castle was hit and sunk by the german ship, `Michel` 14 July, 1942.
    My friend was killed and Lou was picked up by the Michel, transferred to another german ship and taken to Singapore`s Changi Prison.
    I went to Dunedin in 2012, and to his home and met his lovely wife Peggy, who sadly died three months later. and his daughter Brenda, We had a few drinks in his local pub. The Photo below is when they were at the Bus Stop to wave me Good Bye
    Then we met again in Liverpool, with Ivan and Wendy, who were staying in the same hotel,
    We spent a few days with him there. and he had a great time.
    He was pointing to his ships named on the Memorial and a lovely young girl aged around 14 came to Lou and asked him all about his time in WW2 at sea and in the Prison Camp. I was very impressed with the young girl for her interest.so I took a photo of them below. ,
    I was very sad when I heard of his untimely death, I got up at 3 am to watch his Funeral live, streamed from Dunedin
    Good Bye Lou, gone but never forgotten.
    Cheers
    Brian

The photos have not opened so you Have to click on each one, do not know why this has happened maybe some one can open them all at once.

2012 world tour 234.jpg My Pictures liverpool 025.jpg My Pictures liverpool 064.jpg My Pictures liverpool 065.jpg My Pictures liverpool 070.jpg

Redone Capt all now AOK
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th May 2018 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very nice Photos there Capt a good memory of Lou ,ones to cherish forever!
    I too have quite a few but will just look at them here at home later Today in the quiet time!
    Cheers and thanks for those!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Keith Tindell, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read this thread and I am sad, in fact I am well P,ss,d Off, sad for the loss of Lou and well P,ss,d off with the damage done to our friendships by a bunch of non descript poisonous trolls - but also very sad that the comradeship on this site, that was so much present when Lou was amongst us, has been damaged so much. Damaged by people no longer members of the site but whose presence set up such a divisive split amongst the crew, that it still pervades the site today. We have a lot to thank Brian for, the spirit of friendship such as Lou's and the meetings that took place that meant so much pleasure to everyone and formed such close friendships. I for one, wants us to return to those days of Lou Barron and Alf, who could forget Alf Corben, I certainly cannot. What are they saying today, looking down on the discord and anger that fills the site. I have a good idea what they are saying, its " Come on lads, behave yourselves, we are all mates, no trouble makers are going to split us up, stop fighting and get it together again " so lets do it, get it together again, we are still mates at heart and members of an era that has long gone and only we know the great times that we shared as life members of the one and only British Merchant Navy with all its faults but with a reputation second to none.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 28th May 2018 at 09:59 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lou had relations who lived in Auckland ( St Heliers ) and I met him there when he visited them, about a year before he passed. My wife also knew his wife and daughters because of their mutual interest in the NZ Ladies Leisure Marching Association. They met at the Nationals both here in Auckland and at Dunedin. We also met when our Cruise Ship called in at Dunedin and Lou showed us the around the local places of interest. A true gentleman. Regards Peter in NZ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Peter
    Thanks for the post ,i would like to ask if you perhaps have Brenda's Phone number at hand,i had it but when my Puter crashed ilost quite a lot of stuff like that!
    I wanted to just hello ,but if you have not then no worries and perhaps if you get to see ot talk to any of the Family there husr tell them tat we here all always remember the good old Lou!
    I am sure Brenda would like to read all these posts on his Anniversary ,a sad one though!
    Cheers and thanks

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I met up with Lou in his home port whilst doing a conducted tour of NZ.i made it my first job on arrival in Dunedin . He came to the Hotel where the grpup was staying, and whilst the rest of the group were having dinner I made a point of sitting in the bar with Lou and his son. I had a litre bottle of rum for him which in true seamanlike manner disappeared either. Down the leg of his trousers or up his jumper anyhow out of sight . Whether this was to keep his son seeing or not ,or just normal instinct don’t know. Had never met Lou previously but as soon as he walked in the bar recognised him as a seafarer, maybe the manner he walked and his general demeanour, one seafarer can usually spot the mannerims of another. We had a good yarn, I knew the present loyang where Lou spent a lot of his younger days cooped up, he always spelt it different and pronounced it different so once that was sorted it was all down hill. Lou was a gentleman of the old school and there are very few left like him. Rest In Peace Lou. The rum may have been whiskey and the rum for someone else which I drank. It’s true that booze does fog the memory so may have to give up at a later date. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th May 2018 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Vernon, all I have is the street address of Lou's daughter which was 52 Godden Crescent, Mission Bay, Auckland. I have also forgotten the married name of Lou's daughter. From memory I recall her saying that they were having a house built which complicates things if a new address is involved. Cheers Peter in NZ.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc. I was staying in the Scenic Hotel in Dunedin on the corner of Princess and Dowling streets. On the same section of the address book is a phone number also on Lou’s page . I must have had some contact with him to arrange the meeting but don’t know if it was his contact number or the hotels.I will send the full number as written by PM in case it is a private number if you want to try. This was in 2014. Cheers JWS.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to both Peter and JS
    Will certainly try and look up on both suggestions (PM from you JS)
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hard to believe it is three years gone already.

A man who went through so much as a young lad in a prison camp, but survived and went on to make a good life for himself and family.

It was men like him that got the UK and other countries back on their feet after the war.

Like so many of his time a real gentleman, something sadly lacking in the young society today.

May his memory linger on so that future generations will come to know the sacrifices he made so they may enjoy the world of today.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast