Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Our War

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Our War

A few months ago i did a interview for a series of stories of ww2 veterans to be made public in the the near future i will be notified when this is to be made public.
    It as a narration plus a video of my days at sea my pow days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Our War

Hi Lou.
    Good luck with that mate the world should read about what happened both at sea and in the Camps. I have just been reading a book researched by Gavan Daws an American called "Prisoners of the Japanese" horrendous to say the least, I have to put it down for a few days it is so sickening, though written mainly about American prisoners on the Burma railway, there is a fair amount about Changi. Many only survived thanks to a Dutch Dr; Hekking who knew about the local vegetation for certain diseases.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Lou
    I am sure it will be a very interesting account by you mate,as after reading other short stories by you here on site have been some good readings!
    I wish you well in the outcome,which I am sure will be great!
    Look forward to hearing when it is released to the Public!
    Thanks for this post!
    Cheers

Take Care there!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lou your trauma with the war began at an early age, there are many much older who did not manage as well as you did. Your strength of mind must be your strong point, it cannot be easy finding oneself in such circumstances. Somehow I fear many of the younger generation of today would do as well as you have.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Lou Barron thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i was ask by a very good friend of mine why did the Japanese treated the pow*s in such a way like they did well as most people know for the Japanese it was a disgrace to be taken a pow .
    One of the things that struck me was that they liked to show that they was a superior race to the rest of the world .
    another thing they seem to pick on tall guys for instance we had one of our guys Lofty Cooper (a ex G/Castle survivor)and he got a lot of punishment from the the Japs as he was one of our guys who was one of our leaders one very good guy i could mention that some of the treatment he got was something that most guys could not stand but Lofty took it all and he survived and got back home

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Right lads and lassies, we have heard a lot about VE Day and the part played by the Armed Forces and justifiably so, BUT! not one mention of the Merchant Navy in any TV/Radio coverage or newspaper I've read, so today wear your MN badges, your MN Veterans badges, your MN blazers, your MN ties, any or all of them, you never know someone may even ask you what they are (some hope) and you'll be able to give them a history lesson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, i also have been listening and watching intently for mention of our service, nothing mentioned. If i had a relative that died in those times, i would be bloody furious. I intend to email the BBc, KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my uncle ray was a despatch rider with the northumberland fusiliershe was motorbike mad ......his triumph sat in grannys hall all through the war ...he had amate from north shields who was also a despatch rider they were big buddies .......they were at dunkirk and then at the fall of singapore .......his buddy got the berri berri and on returning from labour my uncle was tojd he was dead no grave no service no body ...nothing ......he got a special allownce for sweets and chocolates .......he shared it with me ....at 5 years old i never forgot that ....only he looked likea skeleton for a long time .....he called the japs nips ......he never had good health the rest of his life.....and children he could not have due to his starvation in the japanese hands ......he was a happy soul and my great thrill was to go on the motorbike........on my 1st big payoff from sea i got my own motor bike ......he passed away in the seventies many were at his funeral .....he was a proud brave person......they nacked his body ...but his spirit they couldnt touch......remembered with a great affection ...cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just watched the Service from Westminster Abbey,
    As the Queen was leaving she stopped and shook hands and spoke to three veterans, one was ex Merchant Navy.
    The only mention I have seen so far.
    Brian

11. Thanks Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing to do with 'our war' but was watching a programme about British achievements and among them was the s.s. Great Britain which is in permanent drydock in Bristol, however from her stern she was flying the White Ensign and not the Red Duster, anyone know why? surely from knowledge of history she was a merchant vessel. Seems we are getting brushed out everywhere!

13. Thanks Captain Kong, Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast