Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kings Cross Sydney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kings Cross Sydney

Back in 1979 the first trip the late wife and i took to Aussie we was going over to A/Springs to visit my Daughter and we stopped in Sydney for a couple days as my wife had never been there i thought it might bea good idea to show her around i had been to Sydney a couple of times.
    Anyhow we stayed in a hotel not far from the Cross so i took around down the main street and she kept on asking me what some of the guys was standing outside some of dirty book shops and the other places she was not very impressed but anyhow we did go to a show i cannot remember the name of the place (some of you Guys would know) it was called LES GIRLS and it was a very good show

2. Thanks N/A, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Kings Cross Sydney

Certain you will get replies: not travelled that far, sounds a bit like Raymond's Revue Bar, this way, London, Soho ?

4. Thanks Lou Barron thanked for this post
    Likes Braid Anderson, N/A liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#1, 'it was a very good show' My dear Lou, for whom?

6. Thanks Lou Barron thanked for this post
    Likes Braid Anderson, judith george liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lou, If my memory is correct " Les Girls "was an all male revue . It appeared nightly at the clubrooms of the South Sydney Rugby League Club, on the Darlinghurst Road. The show eventually moved to its own theatre a couple of KMs away from the Cross. Regards Peter in NZ.

8. Thanks Lou Barron thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably stayed at the same hotel a few years ago just at the end of Kings Cross. Only walked down once after dusk down with the wife, she refused to go down anymore. Remember it was before I retired and went into a McDonalds and received a discount and free tea without asking for. When asked the girl why so cheap, she said you are a pensioner, I wasn't at the time, but annoyed me to think others thought I was. However on thinking back who cares what others think, it was cheap and now always make sure I get the pensioners discount. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Lou.
    It might have been in the Coco-cabana run by a criminal as all the clubs were, as Peter said, an all men revue it became famous around Sydney, and lasted through to around 2000 when it was run by Carlotta the male impersonator .
    I liked Kings Cross,spent a lot of time up there in the late 50s early 60s. when I was with the Union Co, me and my mates used to buy all our clothes at George-de-Paris a men's outfitters at the top of Kings St, in those days it was a good shopping area for the more modern clothes. We used to go night clubbing, saw all the top crooners and pianists of the time, though run by criminals, in those days it was gambling and girls not drugs, we were familiar with some of the club bosses who were only front men for the top guys like Abe Saffron, unlike today where you take your life in your hands it was safe if you kept your nose clean.
    Cheers Des

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Braid Anderson, N/A, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed with a Chief Steward who was in a similar show I would imagine after the war, called " Soldiers in skirts" He was great pals of Danny LaRue who also appeared in the show. Blokes name as is probably a long time dead now was Reggie Asplin and had obviously been on the passenger ships in his time. Told me he had been an officers batman during the war. JS

13. Likes Braid Anderson, N/A, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Didn't the Batman hit the Balls hard???
    Cheers Des

15. Likes j.sabourn, Braid Anderson, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was going to mention Jims Pigs ears but thought I shouldn't, the only one who wasn't in the Catering staff was the Chief Cook from South Shields also knew his brother an Engineer at sea, Used to come up to my cabin every night for a few beers when I came off watch at 8, said it was driving him mad seeing all these figures dressed up to the nines in womens finery. Perhaps he was scared of being turned. Cheers JS

17. Likes Braid Anderson, N/A, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lou, As Des remarked there was some top class entertainment to be seen. I even saw Shirley Bassey in a nightclub there, Regards Peter C in NZ.

19. Likes Braid Anderson, N/A, Lou Barron liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast