Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Some Cook

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Some Cook

The other night i had two of my grandchildren for dinner the do come up now and again anyhow i did a chicken stirfry with a marinade and they said that was very nice grandad .Then one of them asked me if i was a cook on the ships .i started to laugh i said no i was not a cook if i had been i think i would have a rope tied to me and thrown over the side of the ship .
    Its only in the last few years that i really took to cooking and i do not mind it at all . The slow cooker is one of my best cooking utensil there is so many different recipes you can do .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Some Cook

Well Lou
    On that basis mate you can cook up a storm when you get here! LOL!
    But true those slow cookers are good and can as you say be used various ways for recipes!
    Hope you will like my Grub!!
    Oh well there are plenty of places for take aways if not! haha!
    Cheers

PS You say you don't eat Rice@ But do you eat Chinese ,with special Fried Rice!
    Just asking as we love our Weekly Chinese ,Special Fried Rice,sometimes a change for an Omelette that they make real yummy too!
    So many dishes to choose from on the Menu!
    Cheers

In the Morning on most days I love to make my Mealie Meal Porridge,especially in the cold weather.
    Its so nice and creamy !! Keeps the Tummy warm! And is good for you too!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

doc I must confess I must have eaten like most of us every type of Chinese all types of curry but coming home from the far east 40od years ago I have never touched the stuff I had one totally different taste so I am a meat potato and any traditional British food ? since I had a stroke I don't even feel hunger no thought of food and if food was not given to me I just would not eat ? I never even had any of gillys famous ribs?jp

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes John Gill, Doc Vernon, George, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lou like you I think the slow cooker is a great utensil, I worked at sea as a cook and over the years learned a lot of tricks of the trade this gadget does the work for you. There is no need to keep stirring the contents and it has the added bonus of you can't over cook most foods or burn them. Normally at the weekend if I am going to watch football I prepare meat, veg and spuds put them in the slow cooker turn it on low and meet my mates in the pub. A couple of beers before the match, watch the game a couple of beers after the match and then go home to arrive to the wonderful aroma of stew. Served with some crusty bread and butter perfect

john sutton Guest

did anyone ever use a haybox?

7. Thanks Louis the Amigo, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes john walker, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the old traditional foods of childhood rarely seen in the South are the Meat and Potato pie , Corned Beef Pasty , Fried Hake , in a country barely 700 miles long it is quite surprising how local some of our foods are
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

9. Likes John Albert Evans, Doc Vernon, George liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john sutton View Post

No need, we never had any horses on borad the ships I sailed on.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Lou Barron;178998]The other night i had two of my grandchildren for dinner the do come up now and again

Gee Lou, maybe not the best way to begin, next thing you know the NSPCC will be on you. LOL
    Sorry mate just could not resist it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john sutton View Post
    John I have not seen that method of cooking for years, There are other ways off slow cooking that are coming back into fashion like brick ovens, once you have baked what you need eg. Pizza, bread etc. you shut off the power source place a joint in the oven or chickens etc. close the door and let the heat left in the bricks to cook your food this is usually done over a period of hours possibly overnight. A more modern method is in a sealed packet in a low temperature water bath which is called Sous Vide.
    Like everything else these things tend to run in cycles so don't be surprized if you see food on a posh restaurant menu near you featuring food cooked in a haybox.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not experienced a haybox JW, but they did a decent nosebag on a Watts Watt boat I sailed on.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    I think the old traditional foods of childhood rarely seen in the South are the Meat and Potato pie , Corned Beef Pasty , Fried Hake , in a country barely 700 miles long it is quite surprising how local some of our foods are
    Rob some of those dishes have always been available here in London in traditional pie and mash shops. The pie and mash shops are becoming more and more difficult to find but if you are ever up this way seek one out and treat yourself. The other foods that I enjoyed especially when I was at sea and I am noticing more are things like braised ox tail (Normally with a posh name and not 'Mudguards') also things like corned leg of pork with Peas Pudding, and Shoulder of Mutton with caper sauce. All normally slow cooked .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast