Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Flag away

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flag away

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    ......... hence the reason why they are always folded or rolled up in a specific way with the lower halyard turned round and looped through itself so that the flag,
    rgds
    JA

I've got a notion that this part of the flag wasn't called the halyard, but something else, maybe pendant?
    Don

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

crack on louis youve beat it now......just keep at it acouple of weeks you will feel as if youve beat tyson ....top of the world bonny lad

3. Thanks Louis the fly thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cannot remember the parts of the flag, except engglefield clips ????? maybe, but remember the flag locker aand hauling the rolled flags as bridge boy KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Cannot remember the parts of the flag, except engglefield clips ????? maybe, but remember the flag locker aand hauling the rolled flags as bridge boy KT
    Not far off Keith 'Inglefield' god bless him who ever he was, because it made life so much easier for bunting tossers (and mum's clothes line)

- - - Updated - - -

Think of some thing else Lou so we can get back to ships and seamanship

6. Likes Keith Tindell, robpage liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is about ships Ivan .As in answer to Johns Post 5 in the convoys in the war Flag signals was very frequent and sometimes a cadet would be on hand to give a hand and if my memory is right I remember pulling out the flags that had been folded but was unfolded when they was toggled onto the halyard sometimes there would be six flags and this was all done at fast as possible .
    When I let go of the of the flag it was my fault I will admit but I got a lesson how to do it the right way
    As a young boy just nearly 15 years old I was to learn a lot about seamen ship even though it was a troopship I learnt even about all types of knots and splices and a lot of other things
    we had a very good crew on that ship and it was one of my regrets that I signed off her after three eventful trips

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Well Keith I have read the stories of the D/Bedford you post2 but I find there is one or two discrepancy in some of the stories the first one I picked up was when we was in Singapore it is said that a bomb landed in the forward hatch well I cannot say that's right we did get a couple of near misses that was all and it mention that it went to the USA not while I was on it also it did not mention on the second trip we arrived in the River Mersey and anchored out in the river and that night the Germans came over and bombed hell out of the docks it was one mass of flames .
    Next day we sailed for Glasgow there were one or two other things that I found a bit out of place
    No reflections on you Keith I personally find that you do a good job even if your posts seem a bit funny and some of these guys take the mickey out of you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    crack on louis youve beat it now......just keep at it acouple of weeks you will feel as if youve beat tyson ....top of the world bonny lad
    ######how you doing louis on the ciggies .....if you have got to now without them killers you have it cracked .........lok at the brass in your pocket .......well done .......if you have got to the state that the smoke stinks when you pass somebody in the street .......congratulations

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can remember dipping the ensign many time, especially with warships passing, also at bulls*** corner going up the Elbe to Hamburg, every ship that passed had their national anthem played over their loudspeakers, and we in turn dipped the ensign, KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MERCHANT NAVY IN THE CLASSROOM

When I was teaching, a Colleague of mine used to complain that she would be constantly interrupted as she was adding the Register totals at the end of the week and converting them into percentages (WHAT a complete waste of time !!...) She just needed 5 minutes 'peace'. I made her a 'D' flag to put on her desk. Worked a treat !

Brenda

ps " i am manoeuvring with difficulty. Keep clear."

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Should have put a B flag up with a pistol beside it, I am taking in or discharging explosives. Put the barrel pointing at the students. Or maybe U you are standing into danger. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or maybe fly the Foxtrot Oscar flags KT

15. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast