Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Atlantic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Battle of the Atlantic

Last Saturday in our local newspaper there was a article about War veterans been sent to Italy for the commemoration of the Battle of Cassino this is not the only battle of the wars were the government have sent ex veterans to these different battles so it got up my nose a wee bit because there was nothing done about the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic .So have wrote to our local newspaper complaining about the lack of no mention about the MN of the part they played in the war .So will wait and see what happens

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Battle of the Atlantic

Like much. K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good on yer , Lou. work it up em.!
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep at it Lou, I find it very hard work here trying to get people in this Island Nation to recognise the efforts of the Merchant Navy and how much the country needs them, still 95% of goods are transported by sea to these Isles, but people are not aware, especially Governments, that the country depends on its livelyhood by the import of raw materials such as ores, coal, grains, oils etc, the unseen cargoes, as opposed to TV's, white goods, clothes etc that fill the shop windows, even then they think that these latter goods appear here by magic. It would appear that NZ and Australia, also island nations suffer from the same apathy. Even the US Congress has advised its citizens that without its Merchant Marine its internal economy would collapse because neither rail nor road would be able to cope with the insatiable demands for fuel of the northern states that the southern states produce.
    We are of course having WWI and WWII celebrations/remembrances here in Torquay and I have been in touch with organisers to ascertain if the MN will be represented and Red Ensigns flying, it is amazing how many do not know what the MN is, never mind about the MN role in all conflicts, and this is on a coast where we have numerous ports. The local Press published a half page letter I had written about the foregoing apathy, but transposed WWI and WWII which made a complete nonsense of the content, but then again I doubt many will have noticed, even if they bothered to read it. But regardless we must keep trying as we oldies are becoming more scarce, fortunately we have younger shipmates like Billy McGee (Deepsea) and others to keep carrying the cudgeal, but alas it doesn't get any easier.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still fighting to get those who have never received any sort of official recognition for those British Merchant Seamen lost in WWII from the Norwegian ships. To be honest there are a lot of maritime organisations around, but none seem to be forthcoming in helping me raise the awareness. The CWGC themselves seem to have little apathy regarding the whole matter. Have not heard back from them in over a month after requesting the best way to approach the 67 cases on file in one go. Have overwhelming evidence to support all the cases now, which was started about four years ago, but I'm still banging my head against a brick wall. I have been putting together a small article I am hoping SeaBreezes and some other nautical magazines maybe interested in publishing, but not being a naturally gifted writer its hard to put it into words to stir the emotions of others to act. Will post on here when I have finished and hopefully you can judge the content in a not too critical manner.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a friend in NZ who sometimes writes articles for Sea Breezes, Cappy also has his contact email address he maybe of some assistance to get into Sea Breezes. I recently had cuttings out of the newspapers from him by snail mail re, the grounding of the Fernmoor in February 1954, also about the 40 survivors who got off. Also a piece on two of them a Gareth Liewelln the R/O and a J. Jenkins one of the mates who I knew. Both Welshman with names like that of course. Anyhow he has written various articles at various times and last I heard was in touch with cappy about some grounding off South Shields in the past for another article. Is hard to get sea Breezes out here and has to be ordered especial, so do not get to read much. Cheers John Sabourn

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Ref. Above... Extract from one of the paper cuttings...Four lifeboats carrying about 40 survivors were seen from the air today clustered around the 5,012 British motorship Fernmoor aground in the South China Sea. Messages received by Globe wireless in San Francisco said said the Fernmoors No, 2 hold and engine room were flooded. It goes on as is a 2 column article. Gareth Llwewelln the sparks was ex Fishguard. The 2nd. Mate Jenkins was from Aberporth. Think I may have put this in a previous post. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th May 2014 at 11:30 AM.

7. Thanks Lou Barron, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lou,

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but Im jumping on the soap box to show you just what I am up against. Attached is just one case I have submitted to the CWGC. Official document from Kew naming the individual killed and compensation due to his family from the Norwegian Government. Second a letter of condolence to his mother reporting his death. Open and shut case, I would say. Well not if you work for the RGSS or the CWGC, who after three month can't figure it out between them whether he is officially a casualty of war or not.

Condolence-Letter.jpg Casualty-Data-TNA.jpg
    Last edited by DeepSea; 11th May 2014 at 11:37 AM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

9. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A, Lou Barron, Charlie Hannah thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, George, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regarding shore people not knowing anything about the MN,
    Last year for MN Day I noticed there was no Red Ensign flying on the Town Hall flag staff.
    I went in there and complained about it. A lady said to me,..."What is a Merchant Navy"?
    I had to explain what A Merchant Navy was. She had got a clue about anything. She is on a good salary paid for by my Council Tax and has no idea.
    After a lot of shuffling around the Town Hall in different departments explaing what A Merchant Navy was I eventually got the Esign flying by late afternoon.
    I stood on the Town Hall Square and watched. No one looked up at it, no one cared. the square was just full of foreigners, I never heard one word of English spoken , Our country is now so diluted that no one cares anymore, and at the same time we must not upset the germans.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post
    Will post on here when I have finished and hopefully you can judge the content in a not too critical manner.
    I am sure Billy that you do yourself a dis-service about your writing abilities, as your posts on here are always clear and concise and cannot be misconstrued by their content. We look forward to reading your article with interest.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's really sad. I posted on 8th about the 69th. anniversary of VE Day and little there was, or no mention of that event here.

Sadder still Lou, is that we oldies must now consider ourselves dinosaurs with no relevance in todays world.

Let US remember, NO one can take away OUR memories. Live for today! Cheers, Eric

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast