Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A German Commerce Raider

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A German Commerce Raider

One thing that puzzled me when we got sunk by the Michel the Germans let us on the deck of the raider under armed guards but we could see a lot of the goings on one that i do rememberwas the lookouts on the very top of the mast in revolving chairs with very big binoculars.The question is to look like a ordinary merchant ship is how did they get the lookouts and chairs down in quick time .They were very efficient in what they did .When they sank other ships while we was on the raider and the stuck us lot down in pow hold with a german officer and one of our guys ask him if it was a warship what would happen he told this guy they would fight and he was there to let us out if they were sinking .Thank god it never happened.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Maybe

Maybe Louis the idea of letting you out on deck in large groups whilst the vessel was in another mode i.e. obvious lookouts not carried out as normal practice on merchant ships, may have been the forerunner of the human shield theory.There were other allied submarines contrary to popular belief that the U-Boat was the only type of such vessel, and think allied submarines would have second thoughts of attacking a vessel with P.O.Ws on board. However would have to ask the master of the ship you were prisoner on, and he is probably a long time dead. Enjoy your trip to UK, and keep out of the Legs of Man, (Lime Street Station) Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Captain Von Ruckstell* of the Michel was sentenced to life for war crimes in 1945 and died in prison 10 years later.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To avoid a fruitless search along Lime St Louis- Legs Of Man Disappeared a very long time ago. Try the Big House a bit further down.
    gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

paid offin lpool one time ended in American bar stayed in the mission before atlantic house cant remember but it was in the city I think also signed on in Birkenhead once then in a mission there whilethey fumigated her that was about 1959 or 60 17 years later went to the same building selling suit andtrowser cloths and the factory was in the old mission strange things happen in life no doubt jim or some other scouse know the places im talking about lok back good time in scouseland very nice ladies for sailors regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A German Commerce Raider.

The nearest Lou will get to where the Legs Of Man was is Central Library.Lou wants to get some Photostat copies from the Liverpool Echo of the FEPOW ships returning to Liverpool of which he was on the first one back.All back Copies of the Liverpool Echo are held at this library.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never knew that the Legs of man no longer exists. Shows how much out of touch with Liverpool I am. I was there last I believe in the 80"s but never got as far as Lime Street. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cappy

Remember having to tip the copper at the gate half a crown for safe passage through. Wonder if they would accept nowadays and not breathalize you. John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A German Commerce Raider/

The Legs Of Man now part of the Empire Theatre.It was separated from the Empire by a back lane that was incorporated into the Empire also.Remember the manageress of the L.O.M. she would not allow single females in the upstairs lounge,couples only, she didn't want any of the "girls"plying their trade in her pub.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 'Ello 'Ello

Think it may cost a bit more these days JS, I believe it's five bob now, plus a signed confession to the effect that no money actually changed hands.
    gilly.
    R635733

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast