Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A German Commerce Raider

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A German Commerce Raider

Sorry Ian i forgot to say that your story is ok .I would justlike to mention in any action you will always get a few different stories there is a lot of things that i could say about what happened its funny that as we get older our memory is not the best but i can still remember a lot about them days thats why i talk to much

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth kenny View Post
    The Legs Of Man closed down about five years ago.They had Petition to keep it open but the Liberal Council,just took know notice.The Manageress who was in charge for about Fourty years passed away a couple of weeks ago,blond lady great pub.The Crown on Lime Street still going,and the American Bar.Ken.R634898.
    Good job it was only the Legs of Man they closed, if they start on the legs of.........................
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 19th April 2013 at 05:36 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A german commerce raider

Thanks, Louis

I'll change what I can and list your name in the bibliography.

Regards

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the crown was where we used to go after a trip and also too start of a night and meet up there , sometimes go in the wine lodge for a glass of aussie .then later to the clubs the pink parrot . and the peppermint lounge ,once went into the Irish club and got bounced out after they found out we were limies. does were the days lads ,footloose and fancy free , when I reached 26 my Ma said why dont you get married . I told her that years before she told me not too as its hard . a year later I emigrated and was married in 6 months with a kid on the way in NYC .HELP HELP.,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A german merchant cruiser

Thanks again, Louis. I've already made that clear at the beginning of the book.

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Hi Ian,
    I believe that three men died in captivity.
    Died in captivity. Buried Yokohama War Cemetery.

ANDREWS, Watchman, ARTHUR ERNEST, S.S. Gloucester Castle (London). Merchant Navy. 19th August 1943. Age 59. British Sec. R. A. 1.

MacMAHON, Assistant Steward, JOHN, S.S. Gloucester Castle (London). Merchant Navy. 3rd January 1944. Age 60. Husband of Evelyn Isa MacMahon. of Glasgow. British Sec. R. D. 14.

Died in Singapore after being released awaiting repatriation. Buried Kranji War Cemetery.

MACDONALD, Storekeeper, DONALD, S.S. Gloucester Castle (London). Merchant Navy. 16th September 1945. Age 32. Son of Norman and Harriet Macdonald, of Lochmaddy, Isle of Uist. ll.B. 1.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Billy,
    I was in Kranji Cemetery last year, I would have looked for that grave, of Donald Macdonald if I had known. I go nearly every year or two.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The list below is of all the MN graves at Kranji

AHERNE, Assistant Steward, WILLIAM ROBERT MICHAEL (BEAU), M.V. Hauraki (London). Merchant Navy. 12th September 1944. Age 38. Son of Michael Robert Aherne, and of Elizabeth Aherne (nee Young); husband of Dorothy Marjorie Aherne, of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. 35. A. 1.

CARBRY, Fireman, JAMES ALOYSIUS, S.S. Largs Bay (London.). Merchant Navy. 12th June 1942. Age 25. 35. B. 1.

ELWORTHY, Pantryman, DOUGLAS RICHARD, S.S. Empress of Asia (Vancouver). Merchant Navy. 10th February 1942. Age 22. Of Canada. 35. B. 12.

GRANT, Chief Engineer Officer, ALEXANDER HOPE GORDON, S.S. Harpa (London). Merchant Navy. 27th January 1942. Age 42. 35. C. 8.

MACDONALD, Storekeeper, DONALD, S.S. Gloucester Castle (London). Merchant Navy. 16th September 1945. Age 32. Son of Norman and Harriet Macdonald, of Lochmaddy, Isle of Uist. ll.B. 1.

PALMER, Master, WALTER HOWARD, S.S. Oscar II. Merchant Navy. 10th May 1943. Age 62. Husband of Janet May Palmer, of Northfield, Birmingham. 35. E. 2.

Non World War dead graves looked after by the CWGC

KAYE, First Radio Officer, ERIC, S.S. Warina. Merchant Navy. 1st June 1945. Age 24. Plot 34 Row E Grave 20

LEMONDINE, Fourth Engineer Officer, GERALD, S.S. Fort Lajoie. Merchant Navy. 9th October 1945. Age 45. Plot 7 Row E. Grave 3

TRUSSELL, Seaman, ROLAND JOHN, S.S. Sam Tay. Merchant Navy. 24th October 1945. Age 23. Plot 11 Row B Grave 10

WADE, Quartermaster, FRANCIS GEORGE, S.S. FORT ALABAMA. Merchant Navy. 24th October 1945. Age 29. Plot 15 Row C Grave 3
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Billy,
    I will print it out and look for them, I am hoping to get out there within the next few months.
    It is not far from the city on the subway.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 20th April 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A German Commerce Raider

I will be in Singapore on the 4th May but i will only be in Changi Airport a few hours it would not give me enough time to go to Kranji .In 1993 my late wifeand i did spend a few days in Singapore and we did manage to get to Kranji looked at a lot of graves including Mc Donalds .
    He was with us right through till the end but was taken very ill and dieda few days laterit was just as well theydropped the big bomb as i think there would have been a lot more have died

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast